View Full Version : Need a band... any suggestions?

julieriggs
10-09-2005, 02:29 AM
I need a band for an event in March 2006. Dinner, drinks, dancing, live/silent auction for 450. Our crowd is late 20's to early 40's and wants to *dance* so I need a great cover band with lots of personality.

Suggestions?

mranderson
10-09-2005, 07:59 AM
I need a band for an event in March 2006. Dinner, drinks, dancing, live/silent auction for 450. Our crowd is late 20's to early 40's and wants to *dance* so I need a great cover band with lots of personality.

Suggestions?

This might be off the wall to some people, however, I have always tried to give new bands a break. You might try contacting the high schools to find out if there are any of the students with bands. Some are quite good. (this is a seigway) Also, try calling Gary Good. His is a talent agent. You will pay the groups rate. He takes his commision out of their fees.

Karried
10-09-2005, 08:29 AM
http://www.okcbands.com/bands.asp

Here is a website for local cover bands. I remember DougL attended a 'rockin' party awhile back. You might want to email/PM him and find out the name of the band.

But here's a thought.... since your crowd is relatively young, you might want to check out local DJ companies. They would have a broad range of contemporary/pop music that would meet the needs of the varied ages and encourage dancing. DJ's take requests and play songs that most younger people recognize. I've always thought that live bands at a function such as this were a bit limited if you wanted popular hits but that's just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love to watch live bands but usually don't dance unless it's a DJ.

We went to a corporate sponsored event and the band was so loud that no one could even talk throughout the entire party. I felt like we were literally screaming to one another over dinner. Not to mention, the songs were unrecognizable and not one person danced - very dull party if you ask me.

dirtrider73068
10-09-2005, 09:52 AM
I know of a 4 peice band that is good, they are a varitey. They do mostly classic rock, like jon jett, ccr, that type of stuff. They also do slow dance and country too. The name of the band is Full Circle, you can find out more though box talent in norman, or I can get a number for you to call the band personally if you like.

mranderson
10-09-2005, 10:27 AM
I know of a 4 peice band that is good, they are a varitey. They do mostly classic rock, like jon jett, ccr, that type of stuff. They also do slow dance and country too. The name of the band is Full Circle, you can find out more though box talent in norman, or I can get a number for you to call the band personally if you like.

They sound like they may be a good possibility for you to audition based on your demographics. However, if they have an agent, you really should book through them... That is what the band pays them for.

Pete
10-09-2005, 10:33 AM
I organized a big class reunion a couple of summers ago at the Coca Cola Bricktown Events center... We had about 300-350 attend in what is a big venue.

We used Bananaseat, a 10-piece band that plays a lot of 70's and 80's cover tunes and are really fun. They really get people to dance and play good recorded music on their breaks, too.

I'd highly recommend them:

Bananaseat (http://www.bananaseat.com/)

julieriggs
10-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

Due to tradition and member expectations, it does have to be a live professional band.

BananaSeat is on our short list... just looking for other testimonials from people who had heard bands at parties and functions. Dance-ability is very very important. Thx
~J

John
10-09-2005, 11:54 PM
The best band for your demographics and one that will get everyone on the dance floor and having a good time is Superfreak. They are very high energy and have great wigs/costumes.

One of the better cover bands I've seen in the country and that's including parties/functions in NY, DC, LA, Dallas, and other cities with 'big time' entertainment.

Give them a look.

Doug Loudenback
10-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Here's a great local band which writes its own music ... and I don't know if that's all they do ... Waffle. See http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=91361 for information and music clips. That's my cool son-in-law in the middle!