View Full Version : Well Water Pump Service Recommendations

BBatesokc
04-26-2017, 07:36 AM
As I noted in a prior thread (http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43282), we just identified our water well as being faulty and running non-stop - which resulted in a doubled electric bill since June of last year!

Never had our well serviced. Anyone here have any recommendations for a service provider in the the Edmond area?

Thanks.

rezman
04-26-2017, 09:24 AM
When we had our acreage southeast of Arcadia, and had to have our pump replaced, we used Pump and Supply out of Nicoma Park, 2401 N. Westminster, 796-4041, and they did a great job. After we had our house fire, and I moved my pressure tank into my shop building so I could have water on the property while we rebuilt, I used J&B Pump and Supply as they were close to me. 1135 S. Choctaw Road between Arcadia and Luther. 388-2246. They were great in setting me up with the parts and fittings I needed.

rezman
04-26-2017, 09:37 AM
By the way, if your pump continues to run, it may be an issue with the pressure switch and not the pump itself. The pressure switch should be located at or near your pressure tank.

BBatesokc
04-26-2017, 09:44 AM
By the way, if your pump continues to run, it may be an issue with the pressure switch and not the pump itself. The pressure switch should be located at or near your pressure tank.

Thanks for that insight. I don't want someone just showing up and telling me I need a whole new system if i don't.

rezman
04-26-2017, 09:53 AM
it's easy to check yourself. Just pull the cover off the pressure switch and check the contactors to see if they are sticking. if they are stuck closed, the pump will keep running, if they are stuck open, the pump will not run at all. Sometimes dirt, bugs , even mud dobbers get in there and foul the movement of the contactors.

ctchandler
04-26-2017, 10:45 AM
I used Boulware Pump & Supply for almost forty years and they always did a good job and a couple of times when I thought it was my pump, they checked it out and it wasn't. Once I had a flange(?) at the pump rust out and they had to pull the pump but it cost a little over $100, not $500-$700 that a new pump would have cost. I also had a pressure switch (I didn't know the name but Rezman's description sounds like the problem I had) replaced. I don't remember the price, but I don't think it was expensive. Boulware is on Waterloo and in far NE Okc. I did have two pumps replaced by them and one was in 1982 and the second one was in 2005. I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound like you have a pump problem, more like a control(s) problem.
C. T.

rezman
04-26-2017, 11:22 AM
They are mostly quite simple. You have the pump, pressure tank and pressure switch. There may or may not also be a motor starter for the pump.

The pressure tank has a bladder in it with a schrader valve at the top, like a car tire has. The tank is aired up to what ever is specified for that tank,... say 40psi. The pressure switch is located on a tee in the water line between the pressure tank and the pump. When a water faucet is turned on, the water in the pressure tank comes through first, and the pressure switch senses the pressure drop in the line and the contacts close, and the pump turns on and supplies water. This all happens in a split second. When the faucet is shut off, the pump fills up the pressure tank and the pressure switch senses the increased pressure, the contacts open to shut pump off.

oklip955
04-26-2017, 01:23 PM
Pump and Supply a few years ago bought out several well companies inclucing Waterloo. They continued using the trucks with varieous logos. I think they now have all the trucks with the same logo. Great work. I woke up a few months ago with my pressure gage pegged out at 160 psi. Controler issue.

rezman
04-26-2017, 02:12 PM
^^ Yep, they bought Stella and several others I can't think of off the top of my head. They also kept all the phone numbers for the various companies.

BBatesokc
04-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations. Went with Shaddy Nook Pump & Supply - they could come out today.

Had a leak in the well PVC about 85' down that had to be fixed. They also replaced the pressure gauge, pressure switch, and removed and added a brass nipple.

Total was $293. ($55.55 parts and $237.50 labor). Took just over an hour.

Roger S
04-26-2017, 04:30 PM
Total was $293. ($55.55 parts and $237.50 labor). Took just over an hour.

Holy cow! And I was shocked about the $80 an hour I was charged to tune-up my lawnmower... Guessing this was more than a one man crew?

BBatesokc
04-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Holy cow! And I was shocked about the $80 an hour I was charged to tune-up my lawnmower... Guessing this was more than a one man crew?

Two guys. One was basically a helper.

rezman
04-26-2017, 05:25 PM
Glad you got 'er fixed. That's a good price too.

BBatesokc
04-26-2017, 07:52 PM
Glad you got 'er fixed. That's a good price too.

Thanks. They did a good job and were fast.

The only down side is that I wish I had paid attention to the myOGEpower portal earlier. That issue cost us far more than the repair bill in electricity over the past year (approx. $1,000). Lesson learned.