View Full Version : Nonesuch

Pages : 1 [2] 3

jonny d
08-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Given how popular they soon might become, is this the type of establishment that could move to a larger location? Or does it's small location help it?

Ginkasa
08-16-2018, 07:53 AM
Given how popular they soon might become, is this the type of establishment that could move to a larger location? Or does it's small location help it?

Their model is dependent on a relatively small location, I believe. If you haven't been, it's not a typical sit down restaurant with individual tables and everyone ordering what they want. When I went it was just my wife and I, so I can't speak to the experience with a larger crowd, but everyone is sat at the same table (more like a counter) and served the dishes from that night's menu.

gopokes88
08-16-2018, 10:12 AM
The extra demand for ingredients could be a strain on them in a larger setting. If it gets too booked up I would suspect they raise prices over raising # of seats.

I just don’t think the concept scales easily

Hondo1
08-16-2018, 12:25 PM
Kudos to Nonesuch and the publicity it will bring. Maybe the next article about an OKC restaurant won’t begin with such an incredulous tone on the part of the author.

TheirTheir
08-17-2018, 07:48 AM
Kudos to Nonesuch and the publicity it will bring. Maybe the next article about an OKC restaurant won’t begin with such an incredulous tone on the part of the author.

I think the tone is fine. For those who have never been to OKC, let alone in the past 5 years, I can understand their skepticism.

gopokes88
08-17-2018, 10:13 AM

Agree but it was setting the stage for how big of a deal it is that okc has the best new restaurant. This would be like Indiana winning a national championship in football. I don’t think it was an intentional slight, it was to build some context.

Urbanized
08-17-2018, 11:24 AM
I also cringe a bit when most national stories start by describing low expectations, but of course the flip side is that people continue to be surprised or even shocked by how great OKC is when they actually come here. In this case probably most people reading can identify with the writer in having no/low expectations, and then they go along for the surprising culinary journey.

I think right now the best thing we can hope for without strong national/international brand (outside of the obligatory cowboy/Indian/tornado/bombing and now - fortunately - Thunder) is that everyone who comes here for the first time leaves and tells tons of people "you wouldn't believe how cool Oklahoma City is..." Because right now, MOST people wouldn't.

Timshel
08-17-2018, 11:35 AM
I also cringe a bit when most national stories start by describing low expectations, but of course the flip side is that people continue to be surprised or even shocked by how great OKC is when they actually come here. In this case probably most people reading can identify with the writer in having no/low expectations, and then they go along for the surprising culinary journey.

I think right now the best thing we can hope for without strong national/international brand (outside of the obligatory cowboy/Indian/tornado/bombing and now - fortunately - Thunder) is that everyone who comes here for the first time leaves and tells tons of people "you wouldn't believe how cool Oklahoma City is..." Because right now, MOST people wouldn't.

^ Generally agree with this. However, while his theme that OKC is still a chicken fried steak and hamburger town has some truth to it and made the story work I don't think you have to dig that hard to see that our food scene is much more diverse than that and that it short changed a lot of recent improvement in this area. The primary article and the secondary article regarding other spots in OKC even cut against this theme by discussing Ludivine, Pho Cuong and other Vietnamese spots, etc.

Notwithstanding, this is great exposure for the city as a whole and I'm sure there will be people visiting OKC because of this award that would have never given it a second glance.

Urbanized
08-17-2018, 11:48 AM
^ Generally agree with this. However, while his theme that OKC is still a chicken fried steak and hamburger town has some truth to it and made the story work I don't think you have to dig that hard to see that our food scene is much more diverse than that and that it short changed a lot of recent improvement in this area. The primary article and the secondary article regarding other spots in OKC even cut against this theme by discussing Ludivine, Pho Cuong and other Vietnamese spots, etc.

Notwithstanding, this is great exposure for the city as a whole and I'm sure there will be people visiting OKC because of this award that would have never given it a second glance.

Agree with this also. It's just going to be a process. Right now we are on the cusp of "it" city status similar to what places like Charlotte, Nashville etc experienced within the past couple of decades. I too am hopeful that the national narrative begins to shift. I think it's something that happens overnight, and this is EXACTLY how that transpires.

HOT ROD
08-17-2018, 01:48 PM
ya I agree that OKC is on the cusp. If we can stop the bad articles from the legislature and keep the momentum that OKC is making organically; OKC will definitely become more well known (ala Charlotte) and there wont be the negative beginnings to national articles (note, most International articles about OKC do NOT have any negativity, just some of the national. ...). and yes, the Thunder is a big part of this - note in the NBA world there is much less and less apprehension about OKC as a city - although there are some who still like to point out OKC's lack of flash.

And really, kudos to Bon Appetite for publishing this. My hope is that this helps Nonsuch move to a better location in the CBD, that's still small/intimate but more 'appropriate' for a national Michelin rated dig when considering the "expectations" of the national audience.

dankrutka
08-17-2018, 02:09 PM
^^^
I've heard a number of national NBA writers say positive things about OKC and the food scene in particular. It's great advertising for the city.

gopokes88
08-17-2018, 05:20 PM
ya I agree that OKC is on the cusp. If we can stop the bad articles from the legislature and keep the momentum that OKC is making organically; OKC will definitely become more well known (ala Charlotte) and there wont be the negative beginnings to national articles (note, most International articles about OKC do NOT have any negativity, just some of the national. ...). and yes, the Thunder is a big part of this - note in the NBA world there is much less and less apprehension about OKC as a city - although there are some who still like to point out OKC's lack of flash.

And really, kudos to Bon Appetite for publishing this. My hope is that this helps Nonsuch move to a better location in the CBD, that's still small/intimate but more 'appropriate' for a national Michelin rated dig when considering the "expectations" of the national audience.

Moving to the cbd would be suicide and unnecessary. They are in a perfect spot.

shawnw
08-17-2018, 05:55 PM
I think there are expansion options in their current space, it doesn't seem like the space to the south has much going on it it? if so, no reason to ever move (don't say parking).

gopokes88
08-17-2018, 06:34 PM
They aren’t expanding, moving, or any other thing you guys can think of.

PhiAlpha
08-17-2018, 06:43 PM
They aren’t expanding, moving, or any other thing you guys can think of.

This feels like a concept in which the small size is an asset. I think expanding it too much might ruin the experience.

HOT ROD
08-17-2018, 06:52 PM
I'm not debating whether the small location is an asset, I think it is. But I think they could be better located.

Such destination restaurants are typically located in the best area of town or the showcase; in my opinion, in OKC it's in the CBD. Also, CBD spaces tend to naturally be small so there's a fit. Finally, you can't get more urban than the CBD. Put them all together along with the national praise they've gotten and this is why I made the comment/suggestion.

Now I'd like to know why GoPokes (and possibly others) think such a move would be suicide?

shawnw
08-17-2018, 07:03 PM
Unfortunately the CBD is an food desert at night, currently. You've got oases like the Manhattan and Kitchen 324 and Mahogany and a few others, but at this time, it would definitely be problematic to move. Where even would be good, notionally? Just trying to think of places and nothing jumps out at me save maybe one of the BOKPP parking garage retail spaces, but that area is no better food desert wise.

That said, in 3-4 years if we're having this conversation, then a revamped Park Avenue with First National Arcade spaces opening to the street would be great for this place. In theory that area picks up steam by then. That also said, the area it's currently at could be quite good in 3-4 years with all the things happening on that strip (6th to 10th) of Hudson with more coming it seems.

gopokes88
08-18-2018, 05:07 AM
Because midtown and the cbd aren’t even in the same league when it comes to good places to eat and vibrant locations.

gopokes88
08-18-2018, 05:10 AM
This feels like a concept in which the small size is an asset. I think expanding it too much might ruin the experience.
Would 1000%. I like how the only people suggesting they should move or expand haven’t been there. I have. Several times. It would be the dumbest possible thing they could do.

catch22
08-18-2018, 09:30 AM
I think there are expansion options in their current space, it doesn't seem like the space to the south has much going on it it? if so, no reason to ever move (don't say parking).

They lease the space to the south, they use it as central office space for all of their restaurants.

Rover
08-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Why in the world do so many think bigger is better?

no1cub17
08-18-2018, 10:09 AM
So, so happy for them. We tried it out last year and have been meaning to make it back ever since. I guess it's going to be a lot harder now, lol. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it - they even came up with a vegetarian menu for her. Not sure if they still do that now, but it was incredible. We've been to a few other "starred" places (like Acadia in Chicago), and nonesuch was objectively better in every way.

And no they do not need to move or expand, nor should they!

LocoAko
08-18-2018, 10:10 AM

I mean, even the big tourism ad by the baggage carousel at KOKC says "We've been expecting you, but were you expecting this?". The whole thing of expectations and "look how much better we are than what the rest of the country has come to think of us as" is kinda our shtick at this point, no? ;)

Teo9969
08-18-2018, 01:37 PM
Will be interesting to see if this new press changes their hours of operation.

4 days a week for 3.5 hours a day and 10 course meals puts a cap at between 125 and 150 guests/week, no?

sooner88
08-18-2018, 02:19 PM
A number of Michelin spots around the world are purposefully small (30 seats or smaller). If the demand grows they could expand the days they're open or offer a lunch serving. But for now, I think it's best to keep it as it is... It allows them to build on the hype and properly prepare to handle the demand.

BG918
09-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Food & Wine article on the expanding restaurant scenes in Tulsa and OKC that mentions Nonesuch: https://www.foodandwine.com/news/tulsa-restaurant-scene-peacemaker-opens

Oklahoma, in general, has found an unexpected spotlight this year, with Bon Appetit naming Nonesuch (in Oklahoma City) as their 2018 best new restaurant. This year, we revisited Oklahoma City's booming dining and cocktail scene, which is getting almost impossible to keep up with.

Mott
09-20-2018, 03:09 PM
Food & Wine article on the expanding restaurant scenes in Tulsa and OKC that mentions Nonesuch: https://www.foodandwine.com/news/tulsa-restaurant-scene-peacemaker-opens

Went to the Gilcrease to see the T. C. Cannon show, and used Food & Wine Sept 2017 where to eat in Tulsa, and tried Lone Wolf. Absolutely one of the worst meals ever. The Calamari was over breaded squid donuts covered, and I mean completely, by thick sweet and sour sauce. The Kim chi side order was cabbage dressed in vinegar. Compare that to the excellent Calamari at Pizza Gusto, which is lightly breaded and aioli on the side, and real Kim chi from super Cao Nguyen. But I'm looking forward to trying Peacemaker seafood from Saint Louis.

Plutonic Panda
11-26-2018, 11:32 AM
https://t.co/BrWPdHI4xV?amp=1

Ginkasa
11-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Very excited at all the positive attention they're getting. Thanks for posting.

Roger S
08-02-2019, 07:12 AM
Finally got to try this place last night..... Amazing isn't nearly a strong enough adjective to describe what they are doing here.

I even enjoyed the chicken liver mousse and I detest chicken livers.... The quail I was served was possibly the moistest piece of quail I have ever eaten if not the moistest piece of fowl I have ever eaten and I've made some pretty moist birds myself.

15472 15473

15474 15475

15476 15477

15478 15479

15480 15481

I think I usually take pretty decent food pics but I didn't feel like these did justice to the food I was served. also not sure why some of them rotated but tilt your head. ;)

My girlfriend and I share a birthday month... So we plan on going back to enjoy nonesuch again in December.

hoya
08-02-2019, 07:44 AM
My wife and I are going there tonight. I'll report back.

Roger S
08-02-2019, 07:58 AM
My wife and I are going there tonight. I'll report back.

Hope you both enjoy it as much as we did..... As a foodie I've had some excellent dining experiences but last night raised the bar really high for best experience ever.

Greggo71
08-02-2019, 08:05 AM
Looks great but I would have to stop for something extra on the way home.

Roger S
08-02-2019, 08:31 AM
Looks great but I would have to stop for something extra on the way home.

12 courses is a lot of food.... First course was 5 items on it's own.

Ginkasa
08-02-2019, 11:34 AM
12 courses is a lot of food.... First course was 5 items on it's own.

Can concur. Each individual plate maybe looks less than filling, but at the end you'll realize you've eaten a lot more than it seemed at first glance.

I haven't been since 2017, but my mom's been asking about it so I need to sneak in a reservation when they open again in next month (still fully booked!)

hoya
08-03-2019, 06:55 AM
It was amazing. I've never eaten food like that before.

I am a fairly picky eater, a real meat and potatoes kind of guy. To be honest I was apprehensive about eating at such a strange place. My wife made me promise to try everything, no matter what. I needn't have worried, everything was delicious.

It's difficult to compare to any other restaurant. Like you can say one steak is better than another, but how do you compare a steak to bison tartare wrapped in a sweet potato crisp with tiny gelatin cubes on top? My favorite thing was probably the country ham with tomato and melon, which doesn't really sound that amazing until you see how they did it. Every dish is like a work of art, I almost felt guilty eating it because I knew the amount of work that had to go into it was beyond my ability to appreciate.

We will definitely be going back. Really blown away.

I still love a good steak though.

d-usa
08-03-2019, 09:01 PM
We went on Wednesday as a birthday present from the wife, and it was great. We did the non-alcoholic drink pairings with it.

dankrutka
08-03-2019, 09:56 PM

I am a fairly picky eater, a real meat and potatoes kind of guy. To be honest I was apprehensive about eating at such a strange place. My wife made me promise to try everything, no matter what. I needn't have worried, everything was delicious.

It's difficult to compare to any other restaurant. Like you can say one steak is better than another, but how do you compare a steak to bison tartare wrapped in a sweet potato crisp with tiny gelatin cubes on top? My favorite thing was probably the country ham with tomato and melon, which doesn't really sound that amazing until you see how they did it. Every dish is like a work of art, I almost felt guilty eating it because I knew the amount of work that had to go into it was beyond my ability to appreciate.

We will definitely be going back. Really blown away.

I still love a good steak though.

This is one of my favorite posts I’ve read on this site. Cheers!

Roger S
08-05-2019, 07:34 AM

Great!

I'm not a picky eater but I know what I do and don't like. I had also told myself that even if it was something I knew I did not like. I was going to taste it anyway.... For example the chicken liver mousse.

I did not even realize the Bison Sweet Potato crisp was bison tartare but the noise level was making it hard for me to hear everything the chefs were saying.... There was a fairly large group on the opposite side that had finished their meals and were having loud conversations.

Pete
03-20-2022, 07:42 AM
Nonesuch has opened a gorgeous private dining room; it's in space just south of their current location:

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nonesuch032022a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nonesuch032022b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nonesuch032022c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nonesuch032022d.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nonesuch032022e.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nonesuch032022f.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/nonesuch032022g.jpg

Dustin
03-20-2022, 07:50 PM
Someone on Instagram said they ate at taco bell after eating here... ��

Why would you admit that? Embarrassed for them.

5alive
03-20-2022, 08:11 PM
Wowzers!

Roger S
03-21-2022, 08:02 AM

Totally believable... I've seen people comment that they left hungry too and every time I've been I walked away stuffed..... These kinds of diners should probably just be sticking to the gourmet selections of Golden Corral.

OKCRealtor
03-21-2022, 08:23 AM
Totally believable... I've seen people comment that they left hungry too and every time I've been I walked away stuffed..... These kinds of diners should probably just be sticking to the gourmet selections of Golden Corral.

It's surprising that those types of diners even have the $$ to eat at a place like Nonesuch and then go hit a Taco Bell which is about as bad as it gets. Not exactly the same clientele.

Jeepnokc
03-21-2022, 08:45 AM
It's surprising that those types of diners even have the $$ to eat at a place like Nonesuch and then go hit a Taco Bell which is about as bad as it gets. Not exactly the same clientele.

I can afford to eat anywhere in town and we do enjoy the nicer places but until they put a Nonesuch by my house that is open at 11 pm or 2 am when I'm heading in from a night out after a few drinks, I will still be hitting up Taco Bell occasionally.

Jeepnokc
03-21-2022, 08:51 AM

Depends on the person. I would probably be stuffed but my 19 year old son that polishes off the 16 ounce strip at the Ranch (which he much prefers over Golden Corral) along with finishing mine and sometimes his sister's would walk away hungry. (He is skinny as a rail and runs 16 minute 5ks)

catcherinthewry
03-21-2022, 09:02 AM
I ate at Nonesuch last fall. It was one of the most amazing dining experiences of my life. The service was fantastic and I loved how they explained each course. The food, on the other hand, was definitely underwhelming. Of the nine course there were maybe two or three that I enjoyed. Some in my party enjoyed most or all of the courses and others were like me. Does this mean I have bad taste in food? No, it just means I have different tastes in food. I learned long ago that if someone doesn't share my tastes in food, music, movies etc. that doesn't mean I have good taste and they have bad. It just means that we have different tastes. And no, I didn't eat at a Taco Bell on the way home. I haven't eaten there in 25 years, but I'm not going to look down on anyone who enjoys it.

Roger S
03-21-2022, 09:27 AM
Depends on the person. I would probably be stuffed but my 19 year old son that polishes off the 16 ounce strip at the Ranch (which he much prefers over Golden Corral) along with finishing mine and sometimes his sister's would walk away hungry. (He is skinny as a rail and runs 16 minute 5ks)

Personally I can polish off the Cowboy Ribeye and 2 sides with appetizers and bread at Mahogany but if you go to a restaurant like nonesuch with the mindset of coming out stuffed.... You've gone to nonesuch for the wrong reason in my opinion.

But to many American diners have a quantity over quality mentality towards dining out..... And if you need to see my proof.... Look at our obesity rates.... Me included in that obese class after years of choosing to eat at buffets...... Although only about half as obese these days in the 290's compared to the 600lbs I carried when I was in my late 20's to mid 30's...... And I no longer eat at buffets. ;)

Ginkasa
03-21-2022, 11:28 AM
I ate at Nonesuch last fall. It was one of the most amazing dining experiences of my life. The service was fantastic and I loved how they explained each course. The food, on the other hand, was definitely underwhelming. Of the nine course there were maybe two or three that I enjoyed. Some in my party enjoyed most or all of the courses and others were like me. Does this mean I have bad taste in food? No, it just means I have different tastes in food. I learned long ago that if someone doesn't share my tastes in food, music, movies etc. that doesn't mean I have good taste and they have bad. It just means that we have different tastes. And no, I didn't eat at a Taco Bell on the way home. I haven't eaten there in 25 years, but I'm not going to look down on anyone who enjoys it.

I think your comment here kind of underlines the difference in the intent of the food served at a place like nonesuch versus the food served at more traditional sit down restaurants or fast food. Nonesuch, I think, is aiming more for complexity and being interesting over serving something that would traditional be considered delicious by everyone. The couple of times I've gone, my experience was similar to yours in the sense that probably only a few of the dishes that I was served were things that I'd probably want to specifically eat again. But I also wouldn't call the food underwhelming because even if I didn't love an individual dish the experience of trying something new and examining the complexities of different flavors and different combinations of flavors is fun and interesting and also pretty novel (at least for us).

And please understand I'm not criticizing anyone who might not enjoy that experience or who finds nonesuch's food underwhelming or unsatisfying. I think its just a mindset thing and one is either into it or not and its not a positive or negative on that person either way.

catcherinthewry
03-21-2022, 11:40 AM
But I also wouldn't call the food underwhelming because even if I didn't love an individual dish the experience of trying something new and examining the complexities of different flavors and different combinations of flavors is fun and interesting and also pretty novel (at least for us).

And that's why I said the experience was amazing. But at the end of the day I want to eat something that is delicious rather than interesting.

Roger S
03-21-2022, 11:54 AM
And that's why I said the experience was amazing. But at the end of the day I want to eat something that is delicious rather than interesting.

But your reaction is reasonable and respectable.... The reaction of the review about Taco Bell was just someone trying to diminish the reputation of a restaurant.

sooner88
03-21-2022, 12:01 PM
I've heard a handful of times from people I know that they've stopped at Taco Bell, etc. on their way home - I think that is less to do with them eating at Taco Bell, and more to do with the fact that there are limited options for food at the time you're finishing dinner there. nonesuch was a big (and still is to an extent) a leap for OKC as a majority of people here aren't familiar with a tasting menu as we had very limited options to experience that. As has been mentioned upthread, we seem to focus more on quality over quantity, and when people see the price tag they're associating it with our other, higher end, restaurants which a majority are steakhouses with large portions. I think as people become accustomed to what places like nonesuch and Grey Sweater are doing, they will be more receptive and appreciative of what they're doing. We've come a long way, but we still have a ways to go.

Thomas Vu
03-25-2022, 08:22 AM

This could speak on

A. The portion sizes of nonesuch
B. The appetite of your average OK person
C. Both?

I recall my first time eating at Stella for lunch I grabbed a 20 piece at mcdonalds afterwards.

soonerguru
03-28-2022, 09:57 PM
I ate at Nani, the concept from which Nonesuch was borne. It was an exhilarating evening with friends, stimulating, and even mind expanding. But, if I were to be completely honest, I kinda wanted to hit up the taco truck about a half hour after we left (we were there for at least two hours). I did eat everything and enjoyed most of it. Some of it was more interesting than delicious per se, but I did eat it and the food portions were rather precious to say the least. I would expect nothing more from Nonesuch and would prepare accordingly.

gopokes88
03-29-2022, 10:20 AM
Nonesuch is a dining experience, not a meal. I totally get the Taco Bell thing. I was hungry after I went, but I wasn't there to get stuffed I was there for the experience.

Its not a buffet where you walk out 5 lbs heavier. You're there to try foods you haven't had before, those foods are all sourced locally and cooked with unique techniques.

Libbymin
03-29-2022, 01:47 PM
I know the portion sizes are smaller at Nonesuch because it's a tasting menu, but you do get several courses, so I personally was plenty full by the time I finished my meal.

TheTravellers
06-03-2022, 04:06 PM
Nonesuch may have just priced themselves out of reach of us, and maybe a lot of other people. Price until July is $125/person, but starting in July it's $175/person. :eek: We went there once maybe a year ago, and were planning on doing it a few more times for milestone birthdays/anniversary in the next few years, but now......

okatty
06-03-2022, 04:16 PM
^plus, you have to spend another $20 on Taco Bell afterwards :D

BoulderSooner
06-05-2022, 10:58 AM
Nonesuch may have just priced themselves out of reach of us, and maybe a lot of other people. Price until July is $125/person, but starting in July it's $175/person. :eek: We went there once maybe a year ago, and were planning on doing it a few more times for milestone birthdays/anniversary in the next few years, but now......
Food cost across the board have gone up And continue to go up.

shartel_ave
06-05-2022, 03:11 PM
Nonesuch will never go out of business

They are decent priced for what they offer

Nonesuch has 22k IG followers

Compare to other cities throughout the world and you will see for what they offer it’s cheap

OKC needs and embraces this establishment

For OKC to compete on this level is huge, nonesuch is on the level of this world renowned restaurant

https://www.dillrestaurant.is/en/home/