View Full Version : Taste of Korea

Pages : [1] 2

Roger S
04-04-2017, 06:44 AM
Noticed the restaurant on the SW corner of Sheridan and Western has a new sign up.

This is the building that was a China Queen for years and was more recently Amy's Noodle House.

It doesn't appear to be open for business yet but I love Korean food so I'll be going to check it out as soon as it opens.

luke911
04-10-2017, 03:34 PM
This is very exciting to see! Besides Chae this would be the first Korean restaurant this side of MWC in as long as I've been here.

Looks like this is a new business registration from what I could find so it'll be interesting to see how this takes off in this area that is quickly growing.

Roger S
04-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Drove by at lunch time today and there were two cars in the parking lot and a truck at the drive thru window but I couldn't tell if they were actually open yet... No obvious open sign or banners promoting them being open.

Roger S
05-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Walked over and gave this place a try today... Small dining area with 6 tables (Five 4 Tops & one 6 Top).... Service was a little slow, but everything is made to order, and the young man serving was very personable and humorous. Crowd was very ecclectic from business people to hipster musicans. It's also not cheap but neither are the ingredients they are serving. So I felt the price point matched the product.

I started with some yaki mandu.... Was hoping to see some tok bok ki but it wasn't on the appetizers menu. They did have some rice cake entrees that sounded good

And then ordered dolsot bibimbap as an entree..... I have to say it was one of the most well presented pots of bibimbap I've ever been served. From the rim right to the beautiful, sesame seed garnished, runny egg yolk in the middle... The entire pot was gorgeous and the gochujang had a really nice kick to it!

I only received 3 side dishes, compared to the 5-6 multiple party tables were served, but they were all good. Even the kimchi which I am really not a fan of.

I can't say go if you are looking for a quick lunch. None of the multiple seated tables made it out before I did and I was there at least 45 minutes to get my appetizer and entree.... If you are looking for some really tasty Korean food and have the time to wait for it. I highly recommend this place.... Just have to wonder how long they can last in this location. The food is way superior to the building.

Unfortunately there were no to go menus and they have no web presence at all at this point but the menu, while not being overly large, was very well populated with Korean dishes I have seen before as well as a few that I had not.

Thomas Vu
05-08-2017, 02:54 PM
How much did you pay for those 3 things?

Roger S
05-08-2017, 02:58 PM
How much did you pay for those 3 things?

I want to say the yaki mando was $7-$8 and the dolsot bibimbap was around $13-$14.

Martin
05-12-2017, 11:46 AM
checked this place out at lunch today... i don't have too much experience with korean food. i ordered the bibimbap to compare against what i've had at b-won... seemed like a little bit less meat but had more varieties of vegetables in it... i wouldn't say that either is 'better' than the other, just different. service was a little slow, even when compared with b-won. will have to check out some of their other dishes in the future.

Roger S
05-12-2017, 12:00 PM
checked this place out at lunch today...

I just got back from there myself.... Tried the Gimbap appetizer and the LA Galbi today and both were excellent... Did you happen to be one of the two guys sitting at the table in NE corner?

I thought the service was a little quicker today but still a little disjointed.

Martin
05-12-2017, 12:05 PM
I just got back from there myself.... Tried the Gimbap appetizer and the LA Galbi today and both were excellent... Did you happen to be one of the two guys sitting at the table in NE corner?

I thought the service was a little quicker today but still a little disjointed.

yep... i'm betting y'all were the table just south of my co-worker and i. could've sworn you guys were talking barbecue at one point. would've said 'hi' had i known!

Roger S
05-12-2017, 12:09 PM
yep... i'm betting y'all were the table just south of my co-worker and i. could've sworn you guys were talking barbecue at one point. would've said 'hi' had i known!

Yep... There was talk of BBQ and fire pit cooking going on. ;)

Pete
02-01-2018, 10:19 AM
They now have a lunch menu:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/toklunch1.jpg

soonerguru
02-05-2018, 08:02 PM
Love that place. It's particularly good when the owner provides the table service.

Pete
10-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Holy cow! Sooooo good.

This is the spicy pork. Enough for 3 people and delicious.

I was the only non-Korean in there (only 3 other tables) which is always a good sign.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/korea100218.jpg

Thomas Vu
10-02-2018, 06:34 PM
Was it just me or did the menu get smaller over the past 3 months or so?

HOT ROD
10-03-2018, 06:11 PM
yes, I can vouch for this restaurant as we've been there on a couple of past visits to the city.

John Knight
10-04-2018, 08:44 AM
This place is one of Oklahoma City's best hidden gems. Amazing food!

RadicalModerate
10-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Is this in the vicinity of Anthem Brewing and the Farmers Public Market? I've been hankerin' fer Korea Food.

Pete
10-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Is this in the vicinity of Anthem Brewing and the Farmers Public Market? I've been hankerin' fer Korea Food.

Somewhat but not that far south.

it's actually directly across from the McDonald's on Western just south of Sheridan. Tons of construction in the area but Western is open to the north.

RadicalModerate
10-04-2018, 10:32 AM
Somewhat but not that far south.

it's actually directly across from the McDonald's on Western just south of Sheridan. Tons of construction in the area but Western is open to the north.

Thank you Sir. When I read the review I thought, "Dang that sounds good" yet the reopening of Sean's place on North May and the lure of Baba G's . . . well . . . goes without sayin . . . =~)

BridgeBurner
10-04-2018, 12:38 PM
It's absolutely worth checking out, the LA Galbi short ribs from there might be my favorite meal in OKC right now. They took it off menu due to distributor problems but just brought it back, I've been trying to get a group to go for a couple weeks now and I am about to just go eat there myself haha.

Roger S
10-04-2018, 01:42 PM
I was really worried about the construction putting them out of business but I think they are going to kill it when the apartments and street construction are finished.... Next obstacle they have to overcome is that they are really too good for that building.

derp
10-06-2018, 06:38 AM
I was really worried about the construction putting them out of business but I think they are going to kill it when the apartments and street construction are finished.... Next obstacle they have to overcome is that they are really too good for that building.

Yeah. They are probably going to have severe growing pains soon. That's the best non-specialized Korean food I've had outside of Korea, and I've had Korean food in dozens of North American and European cities. I recommend trying whatever is written on the chalkboard for the day. Somedays they have a spicy galbi stew, which might be my favorite thing at Taste of Korea. Just don't go when you are in a hurry.

Pete
02-12-2020, 08:14 AM
Oklahoman reporting they will close on Feb. 23rd and may or may not reopen.

I would bet they will not reopen at the current location, if at all.

OkiePoke
02-12-2020, 08:21 AM
Noooooo!!!!!!!!

BridgeBurner
02-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Man, RIP- 2020 has been rough on my list of Top 10 OKC restaurants closing, knocking 3 off.
Anyone know where to find comparable short ribs in the city?

BoulderSooner
02-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Man, RIP- 2020 has been rough on my list of Top 10 OKC restaurants closing, knocking 3 off.

what is/was your top 10??

Pete
02-12-2020, 12:13 PM
They don't close until the 23rd, so plenty of time to get in at least one more fix.

BridgeBurner
02-12-2020, 12:35 PM
what is/was your top 10??

Not necessarily in order:
The Ranch
Maples BBQ- RIP
Chick N Beer
Hacienda Tacos
Chigama- RIP (but I cheated this was December I think)
Samurai Sushi
Ludavine
Empire
Taste of Korea- RIP
Jones

Packard's, Garage, and Mule probably move into top 10 slots? But I am not hungry right now so I am probably missing some lol

True Pete but I would bet they have stopped ordering their market price items like the short ribs at this point.

Thomas Vu
02-12-2020, 12:42 PM
Where to get ribs? Even remotely like that I imagine you'd have to go to places like korean house or dong-a

BoulderSooner
02-12-2020, 12:42 PM
Not necessarily in order:
The Ranch
Maples BBQ- RIP
Chick N Beer
Hacienda Tacos
Chigama- RIP (but I cheated this was December I think)
Samurai Sushi
Ludavine
Empire
Taste of Korea- RIP
Jones

Packard's, Garage, and Mule probably move into top 10 slots? But I am not hungry right now so I am probably missing some lol

True Pete but I would bet they have stopped ordering their market price items like the short ribs at this point.

that is a great list

Jersey Boss
02-12-2020, 12:54 PM
Asian and Mexican all over the city and not one place that specializes in Eastern European fare.

BridgeBurner
02-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Haha thanks Boulder, feeling validated right now

I've been to Korean House but haven't heard of Dong-a, have to check it out. Both are pretty far from me though :/

TheTravellers
02-12-2020, 01:21 PM

Never had Taste of Korea's short ribs, but I've had Chae's shortrib benedict and it was pretty tasty.

baralheia
02-13-2020, 02:53 PM
Taste of Korea's food is GREAT but the building leaves a lot to be desired. I REALLY hope they land back on their feet and reopen elsewhere with a larger dining room.

Roger S
02-13-2020, 02:59 PM
Too bad they didn't snag the old Dmitri's Peacock space before The Lazy Donkey got it.

Greggo71
02-13-2020, 03:40 PM
Asian and Mexican all over the city and not one place that specializes in Eastern European fare.

I would kill for a Russian restaurant. Well, maybe not but I would definitely maim.

TheTravellers
02-13-2020, 06:15 PM
I would kill for a Russian restaurant. Well, maybe not but I would definitely maim.

:yeahthat: Having lived in the Chicago area for a dozen years and eating at those types of places often, we miss that kind of cuisine a lot here.

SEMIweather
02-13-2020, 06:55 PM
Taste of Korea's food is GREAT but the building leaves a lot to be desired. I REALLY hope they land back on their feet and reopen elsewhere with a larger dining room.

Are Noodee and Okie Poke still around on 23rd Street (I don't think they are, but someone correct me if I'm wrong)? I could see Taste of Korea fitting in very well in that space, my only question is how much of a rent increase it would be over what they're paying for their current building.

Thomas Vu
02-13-2020, 08:15 PM
okie poke is now in the collective. Can't speak for noodee

Jersey Boss
02-13-2020, 08:38 PM
:yeahthat: Having lived in the Chicago area for a dozen years and eating at those types of places often, we miss that kind of cuisine a lot here.

What this town needs is a place that serves pierogies, cabbage rolls, hunters stew, etc. We need some more diversity.

chuck5815
02-14-2020, 07:48 AM
What this town needs is a place that serves pierogies, cabbage rolls, hunters stew, etc. We need some more diversity.

Doesn't Ingrid's have a few items like this?

PaddyShack
02-14-2020, 07:59 AM

I have long wanted a true Turkish Kabob place. Maybe it exists and I just haven't found it.

HangryHippo
02-14-2020, 08:27 AM
I'd (metaphorically) kill a man for a good Turkish Kabob place!

Roger S
02-14-2020, 08:32 AM
Not a restaurant but they have an occasional brunch and offer cooking classes.

https://www.facebook.com/raindropokc/

Pete
02-14-2020, 08:40 AM
Instanbul at 36th & May was great but closed.

Not enough business.

HangryHippo
02-14-2020, 08:46 AM
Roger - thanks for the link.

Pete - never even knew they existed.

d-usa
02-15-2020, 07:57 AM
Turkish Delight is a good food truck, but they are hard to track down sometimes.

My only complaint is that they don’t have the bread that a good European Döner Kebab is served on.

shawnw
02-15-2020, 10:20 AM
seemed like parking was always tight here do we know what happened?

Thomas Vu
02-15-2020, 11:41 AM
I never saw it crowded. I've only been in a handful of times, but they treated me super well and remembered me from previous visits.

SEMIweather
02-15-2020, 12:37 PM
I saw this comment (https://www.reddit.com/r/okc/comments/ew01ms/underrated_food_joint_go/ffz2qhf/) on the OKC subreddit a couple of weeks ago.

Thomas Vu
02-15-2020, 03:29 PM
I'm glad Antigua is getting the love I thought it deserved.

BridgeBurner
02-18-2020, 11:10 AM
I saw this comment (https://www.reddit.com/r/okc/comments/ew01ms/underrated_food_joint_go/ffz2qhf/) on the OKC subreddit a couple of weeks ago.

Ohh possibly good news! I hope this is true

Pete
02-28-2020, 07:51 AM
This property is now for sale.

SEMIweather
02-28-2020, 08:25 PM
Hopefully someone can succeed there, the boulevard construction was obviously not great, but it's still so close to West Village, and the overall location should gradually improve as the area to the west of Main & Classen hopefully gets developed in the next few years.

shawnw
07-09-2020, 10:55 AM
Building for sale

https://twitter.com/DannyOjedaOKC/status/1281259025947078656

Pete
05-28-2021, 08:27 AM
This property has been purchased by Hall Capital and is slated for demolition if it isn't already leveled.

HangryHippo
05-28-2021, 08:40 AM
Did the couple running it end up moving? Wasn’t there talk about them opening up somewhere else in the city?

Pete
05-28-2021, 08:45 AM
Did the couple running it end up moving? Wasn’t there talk about them opening up somewhere else in the city?

It seems that every closing restaurant makes some claim about coming back and that almost never happens.

shawnw
05-28-2021, 08:58 AM
Is there any historical significance to that building? Presuming not but just wondering.

Midtowner
05-28-2021, 09:05 AM
I think it was an old fast food place.