View Full Version : Goggle Project FI?

MadMonk
04-03-2017, 06:56 PM
https://fi.google.com/about/
My cell service isn't currently under a contract and I'm thinking about trying this out. Has anyone tried this yet? What has been your experience?

In short, its a wireless service that can span multiple carriers (Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T) +WiFi hotspots with one device. The service is $20/month + a data plan that is set at a flat rate of $10/GB and the cost of any unused data is refunded at the end of your billing cycle (and billed at the same rate if you go over). Its even the same price internationally (not important to me, but may be to some).
e.g. Service: $20, 2GB Data:$20=$40/month
If I only use 700MB of data in a given billing cycle, I get a $13 credit on the next bill, etc

I have a coworker who's wife travels by care frequently and she claims it gives her nearly seamless coverage in eastern OK & Arkansas where she couldn't get signal with her current carrier (Sprint).

Thomas Vu
04-03-2017, 10:43 PM
Funny you mention sprint. Currently it should be using tmo + sprint + us cellular.

Few things come into question

1. Do you travel a lot?
2. What's your average data usage?
3. What phone do you currently have?

OKCisOK4me
04-04-2017, 03:36 AM
Yeah, that is funny that you mention Sprint. My mom lives about 10 miles south of Sallisaw and she has horrible coverage dowm there--although she's with AT&T. I, on the otherhand, am with Sprint and get 4g LTE coverage. Great stuff!

stile99
04-04-2017, 07:31 AM
I use it and love it, but there is one major drawback. The phones you can use are still limited to the Nexus (which Google has all but killed) and the insanely overpriced Pixel line. If you're looking for a new phone and have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket, the Pixel seems to be a pretty good phone though (and you can still get the Nexus 6P, but of course they make the Pixel up front and center). Coverage has been excellent, and since I don't use much cell data my bill runs in the neighborhood of $25/month. It will try to connect to WiFi whenever and wherever it can, so that helps with keeping the data usage reasonable.

BLJR
04-04-2017, 07:34 AM
I use it and love it, but there is one major drawback. The phones you can use are still limited to the Nexus (which Google has all but killed) and the insanely overpriced Pixel line. If you're looking for a new phone and have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket, the Pixel seems to be a pretty good phone though (and you can still get the Nexus 6P, but of course they make the Pixel up front and center). Coverage has been excellent, and since I don't use much cell data my bill runs in the neighborhood of $25/month. It will try to connect to WiFi whenever and wherever it can, so that helps with keeping the data usage reasonable.

I work in the communications industry, and my colleagues at Sprint tell me they have invested $$$ in the network in OK recently, so their service should get increasingly better. I had Sprint a few years ago and it was not that great with dead spots in the metro. They assure me those have been ironed out.

shawnw
04-04-2017, 09:10 AM
I would be on Fi if it weren't for hardware limitations. I've been TMO for darned near two decades, so what's the harm in adding another carrier or two? I refuse to have a phone that doesn't have an SD slot, which thus far the Nexus/Pixel lines have not had.

traxx
04-04-2017, 10:39 AM
This article from Paul Thurrott is almost 9 months old but it probably still has some useful info:
https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/72658/google-project-fi-review

Paul travels internationally quite a bit and really seems to like Project Fi.

Bullbear
04-04-2017, 11:24 AM
I work in the communications industry, and my colleagues at Sprint tell me they have invested $$$ in the network in OK recently, so their service should get increasingly better. I had Sprint a few years ago and it was not that great with dead spots in the metro. They assure me those have been ironed out.

we have and continue to do so. with the amount of Spectrum Sprint holds we are in great position to blow all networks away. there is no more spectrum available and we hold the lions share and now that Sprint is focused on Network build outs it will only get better and better.

okccowan
04-04-2017, 12:11 PM
My wife and I use Project Fi. I love it. The pricing is straightforward and the coverage is much better than when I was on T-Mobile or Sprint. I travel around the state a lot and I have rarely had trouble with Fi. We both have Google's Pixel phone.

MadMonk
04-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Few things come into question

1. Do you travel a lot?
I travel out of state only occasionally (couple times a year), usually by air, but sometimes I drive to Dallas. I may be doing some traveling for work internationally in the coming year (not sure yet), so the ability to go overseas and still pay the normal price is somewhat appealing. I do roam a bit in-state on the weekends and have had some problems getting service in certain areas on AT&T (but my friend with me has Verizon and has signal).

2. What's your average data usage?
I'm on a family plan with 10GB and have only gone over a few times. My personal data usage is typically under 2GB/month. I'm on wifi a lot of the time,

3. What phone do you currently have?
A Galaxy S5. I love this phone, it's an absolute tank of a phone and has been the best phone I've ever owned, so I'm a little hesitant to change, but It's starting to show some effects of the thousands of times I've dropped it, gotten it wet, etc. Other than my screen rotation no longer works (due to a drop in the pool last year with the charging port uncovered), it still works beautifully. :)

The cost of the project FI phones might be a concern - especially since I have no experience with the Pixel or Nexus phones and I don't know anyone personally who has. Not really sure it's worth the hassle of switching, but I thought the concept was interesting.

Thomas Vu
04-05-2017, 06:57 AM
The cost of the project FI phones might be a concern - especially since I have no experience with the Pixel or Nexus phones and I don't know anyone personally who has. Not really sure it's worth the hassle of switching, but I thought the concept was interesting.

I use mostly nexus phones and currently have a Pixel. There might be some value lost in that there aren't software add-ons that you maybe used to. If nothing else though, the phones are always pretty quick, and there are 1st/3rd party solutions for workarounds . I have a spare 6p if you want to give it a go.

David
04-05-2017, 08:50 AM
I've been using Fi with a Nexus 6p since last year and I am fairly pleased with the service. It is significantly cheaper than the old T-Mobile and Sprint plans I used to be on, though that is probably an unfair comparison as those were unlimited data plans and this is not. My favorite feature of the Fi plan is there's no weird funny extra data categories or costs. Tethering, separate SIM card for a tablet, same data as the rest of the plan and no cost to enable. The tablet SIM card was even free.

I usually use around a couple GBs of data and end up with a ~$40 bill every month.

baralheia
04-07-2017, 12:04 PM

T-Mo also dumped a literal ton of money into the network here in OK in 2013-2014 because of their LTE rollout... the base transciever stations (the equipment at each cell site) had to be completely replaced because the gear they were using (inherited from VoiceStream) was ancient and incompatible with the new gear enabling LTE. (https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/2oga0n/some_interesting_information_regarding_the_lte/)

White Peacock
06-09-2017, 09:24 AM
T-Mo also dumped a literal ton of money into the network here in OK in 2013-2014 because of their LTE rollout... the base transciever stations (the equipment at each cell site) had to be completely replaced because the gear they were using (inherited from VoiceStream) was ancient and incompatible with the new gear enabling LTE. (https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/2oga0n/some_interesting_information_regarding_the_lte/)

This in turn makes MetroPCS one of the best options available here. The service is incredible and it's cheap. When I quit working at AT&T and lost my employee discount, I found that it wasn't worth paying full price for, so I ported our lines to MetroPCS and I'm glad I did. Metro piggybacking on the T-Mo network means you get all the benefits of T-Mo's network at a lower price.