View Full Version : Crawl Space Dilemma and Subcontractor Request

aDark
04-03-2017, 09:13 AM
OKCers,

Does anyone have advice regarding a subcontractor who knows how to enlarge a perimeter crawl space on an older home? We are currently under contract to sell our house and the potential buyers' inspector is unable to access our crawl space as the dimensions are too small and allegedly not up to code. (19 inches x 13 inches). They have asked that we foot the bill for enlarging the crawl space access site so they can do a thorough inspection of foundation, plumbing, termites, etc.

Three questions; 1) Any suggestions for a subcontractor who has dealt with this before - or a resource for a list of subcontractors? 2) Any recommendations for a new inspector who will crawl in the smaller access site or uses robots for inspections? 3) Any other solutions that I am not thinking of?

Thanks!

OkiePoke
04-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Up to code is tricky. Code changes and if you don't have any repair/modifying of an existing area, you do not have to update everything to code.

It may be in compliance for that reason. May need to find a different inspector.

rezman
04-03-2017, 11:13 AM
So, is it just the crawl space access hole that needs opened up, or the whole perimeter of the foundation around the house between the floor and the ground needs opened to allow room to crawl?.

stick47
04-03-2017, 11:46 AM
I made it through a 10" X 24" opening on my first house. Built in 1934 and sold in 1985. I agree, if possible, find another inspector.

aDark
04-03-2017, 12:13 PM
So, is it just the crawl space access hole that needs opened up, or the whole perimeter of the foundation around the house between the floor and the ground needs opened to allow room to crawl?.

I think both? I am not an engineer nor do I have any contractor knowledge, but I understand that the foundation will require about 6 more inches (wide) and the ground needs to be dug out about 10 more inches (height).

I am considering just paying someone to come cut a hole in the floor in one of the closets as that may be the more affordable work around.

mkjeeves
04-03-2017, 02:45 PM
There are a number of youtube videos of crawl space inspections with cameras on remote controlled vehicles. There's a way around digging it out to have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=crawl+space+inspection+robot+

mkjeeves
04-03-2017, 03:04 PM
These people have one. http://www.vpinspectors.com/

aDark
04-03-2017, 03:37 PM
These people have one. http://www.vpinspectors.com/

Thank you for the help - I called and talked to them and their robotics are currently out of commission but he was very helpful as to advice on where to cut a hole in the floor, should we choose that route.

BLJR
04-04-2017, 07:39 AM
Thank you for the help - I called and talked to them and their robotics are currently out of commission but he was very helpful as to advice on where to cut a hole in the floor, should we choose that route.

I would look for an inspection company that has their robotics currently working, or have a physically smaller inspector. I have replaced air ducts in some pretty tight crawl spaces. It isn't pretty, but it can be done. 19X13 is tight, but there are a few co's that can likely get in there.

rezman
04-04-2017, 09:26 AM
A lot of inspectors don't want to crawl under a house and will give excuses in order to avoid it. A good inspector will. Home inspectors are a dime a dozen. I would definitely find someone else. I've crawled under a lot of old houses. You get dirty and sometimes it can be spooky. One time I crawled right on top of a dead possum. You've never seen someone crawl backwards so fast in your life.

aDark
04-04-2017, 10:35 AM
A lot of inspectors don't want to crawl under a house and will give excuses in order to avoid it. A good inspector will. Home inspectors are a dime a dozen. I would definitely find someone else. I've crawled under a lot of old houses. You get dirty and sometimes it can be spooky. One time I crawled right on top of a dead possum. You've never seen someone crawl backwards so fast in your life.

Thank you - yes, if this were my inspector I would simply hire a different one. Unfortunately, this is the buyer's inspector - so I cannot demand he/she hire someone else. If I do, it looks like I'm trying to dictate who signs off on the inspection and would be seen as shady. There's nothing under the house to hide, but I don't want the buyer to feel that I'm trying to pull one over on him/her. Does that make sense?

Roger S
04-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Thank you - yes, if this were my inspector I would simply hire a different one. Unfortunately, this is the buyer's inspector - so I cannot demand he/she hire someone else. If I do, it looks like I'm trying to dictate who signs off on the inspection and would be seen as shady. There's nothing under the house to hide, but I don't want the buyer to feel that I'm trying to pull one over on him/her. Does that make sense?

Not really... Are you going to make possible concessions on the value of your home based on an inspection made by a party you feel is not doing a satisfactory job?

king183
04-04-2017, 11:49 AM

I understand what you're saying as I'm about to go through a home inspection on my house, which has a very tight crawlspace entrance. If the inspector tells me I need to enlarge it, I'll tell the buyer I'm simply not going to do that because it's not required (and I'm certainly not going to cut a hole in my floor). He can either choose to get a new inspector or that inspector can find a way to get under the house just like many people before him have, including my plumber.

Main point: I think it's unreasonable that you're being asked to make these changes, which are not required. Put the onus back on the buyer and his inspector to do their job, if they want the job done.

aDark
04-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Not really... Are you going to make possible concessions on the value of your home based on an inspection made by a party you feel is not doing a satisfactory job?

No. I'm not going to lower the price. I want this inspector they have hired to finish the job so we can move forward with the sale. We have a contingent offer on another home, and need this sale to take place in an orderly fashion. So, I am looking for contacts of contractors who you would trust to enlarge a crawl space access site, or provide access through the floor. I can easily tell the buyer to screw off, but would mess up a large process in doing so. My issue is not that their inspector is too fat or an idiot (although I have some personal opinions on that front) but that I need to create access quickly. So, if you know of anyone please let me know. Likewise, if you have advice as to someone who can perform a robotic inspection *that* might allow me to suggest a new inspector without sounding like I'm being difficult.

Roger S
04-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Ahhh... My apologies... I thought you were asking if making a bigger crawl space instead of finding an inspector that will do the job made sense.

OKCRT
04-04-2017, 05:01 PM
The access needs to be made to code or as close as possible. Remember, it's not just for this inspector it is for any future repairs that might be needed also. I would want an access big enough so I would be able to call a contractor , plumber or whoever to do any future repairs. So you have to put yourself in buyers shoes for a minute. Would you want to buy a house that no one could get under and when something happens where someone has to get under then you would be the one dealing with it. It is the sellers responsibility to make access for inspections. Access should be 16X16 where an average size person can get under. If you need to make an access you could do a closet access. Cut hole and make trap door. That one should be 18X16.

stick47
04-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Seems to me that anything you do that will allow the prospective buyers inspector to gain access may do damage to the structure. Why not see if you can offer to bring your robot inspector company in to work in conjunction with the inspector the buyer wants to have inspect it? In that way the buyers guy may buy off on what the robot does.

OKCRT
04-04-2017, 05:07 PM
No, is a robot going to go under and fix a plumbing problem in the future? Remember,this access is not just for this one time inspection. Cut a trap door in closet floor if one can not be made from outside. No structural damage. Floor joist are on 16 inch center. You don't cut the joist just the flooring and put trap door for future access. Problem solved and should be $100-200 dollars.

stick47
04-04-2017, 05:18 PM
Access should be 16X16 where an average size person can get under.
Huh?? 16" across the shoulders is going to limit the inspection guy to about the age of 10 years old.

No, is a robot going to go under and fix a plumbing problem in the future?

I thought we were dealing with just an inspection?? Personally I'd prefer an inspection by robot vs someone going under the house. The video and maneuverability advantage of the robot far exceeds the thoroughness of someone trying to crawl all around while assessing the condition of the structure that's above his head.

OKCRT
04-04-2017, 05:41 PM
Sorry meant 16x24 lol.

mkjeeves
04-04-2017, 05:52 PM
Or you send the robot in to make sure everything is okay and only cut up the floor when you need to repair something, just like you would do for plumbing/electrical/HVAC under a slab, in the yard, in the ceiling or in the walls. It's a bogus demand and over reach for a home inspector to break a house sale or strong arm a seller by asking for these types of things. But it happens all the time.

BLJR
04-05-2017, 02:16 PM
aDark, let us know what happens on this please. I renovate houses and am curious to the outcome on this please. Thanks, BLJR

jn1780
04-05-2017, 02:48 PM
How bad does the buyer want to buy the house and how bad do you want to sale the house? Seems kind of ridiculous that a potential business transaction is put in jeopardy because a third party lacks the tools to do his job properly.

aDark
04-06-2017, 11:55 AM
aDark, let us know what happens on this please. I renovate houses and am curious to the outcome on this please. Thanks, BLJR

Will do. I have a contractor coming out to widen the crawl space accsess this afternoon. Estimated cost is $250. I'll let you know where it ends up.

mkjeeves
04-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Will do. I have a contractor coming out to widen the crawl space accsess this afternoon. Estimated cost is $250. I'll let you know where it ends up.

Not too bad. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent a camera in there they don't find *something* that had to be fixed no matter how minor that might cause you to cut a hole anyway.

aDark
04-10-2017, 11:08 AM

As an update, I had a contractor run out and widen the crawl space access point to ~28 " across and 16" high. He could have made it ~18" high, but digging into the dirt would have been a lot more work. The buyer's inspector returned to finish his inspection and was able to access the necessary areas.

Altogether it cost $250. So, we should be good to go. I am waiting for the final TRR now.