View Full Version : Recent rains: fire, drought, lake level

bucktalk
03-31-2017, 01:24 PM
With our recent rains I wonder:

1. How long will it take for grasslands return to western OK?
2. How much of dent did the rains make on our drought?
3. Will Lake Hefner have any beneficial impact with rains upstream on the North Canadian?

If you know the answer to any of these I'd be glad to hear them!
Thanks.

OkiePoke
03-31-2017, 01:42 PM
Hefner has gained 1.5 ft. (~4500 acre ft.) since Monday.

I'm not sure when it will level off.

d-usa
03-31-2017, 01:56 PM
Looks like the storage at Canton is full, and we got 0.something percent of the flood pool filled.

Bill Robertson
04-01-2017, 03:16 PM
Hefner has gained 1.5 ft. (~4500 acre ft.) since Monday.

I'm not sure when it will level off.Friday night the canal was still flowing quite a bit.

bradh
04-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Friday night the canal was still flowing quite a bit.

still flowing strong this afternoon as well

bucktalk
04-03-2017, 07:10 AM
Drove by Lake Hefner yesterday afternoon. Looks much, much better with lake level higher than I would have guessed. It looks like it could be full shortly if we continue to receive rain locally and upstream. Good news!

OkiePoke
04-03-2017, 08:35 AM
In the last week, storage went from 61,000 acre-ft to 69,000. Water is still running in from the rains last night with more rain expected this week. Full storage is 75,000 acre-ft.

Water level went from 1193.0 ft. to 1196.5 ft. Amazing to think when the drainage area is only about 9 sq. miles. I'm unsure of the full gage height.

Bellaboo
04-03-2017, 10:30 AM
In the last week, storage went from 61,000 acre-ft to 69,000. Water is still running in from the rains last night with more rain expected this week. Full storage is 75,000 acre-ft.

Water level went from 1193.0 ft. to 1196.5 ft. Amazing to think when the drainage area is only about 9 sq. miles. I'm unsure of the full gage height.

The draining area is thousands of square miles. There is a canal that flows form the North Canadian over by Lake Overholser. So whatever the watershed for the North Canadian is what the drainage area is ? At least below Canton Lake. I drove over the river Saturday morning North of Yukon and is was roaring right along.

OkiePoke
04-03-2017, 11:16 AM
The draining area is thousands of square miles. There is a canal that flows form the North Canadian over by Lake Overholser. So whatever the watershed for the North Canadian is what the drainage area is ? At least below Canton Lake. I drove over the river Saturday morning North of Yukon and is was roaring right along.

Watershed and draining area have a little different definition. Just found this out recently myself.

Drainage Area: A drainage area is the total surface area, upstream of a point on a stream, where the water from rain, snowmelt, or irrigation which is not absorbed into the ground flows over the ground surface, back into streams, to finally reach that point.

Watershed would be the area that water flows into the the drainage area.

Bellaboo
04-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Watershed and draining area have a little different definition. Just found this out recently myself.

Drainage Area: A drainage area is the total surface area, upstream of a point on a stream, where the water from rain, snowmelt, or irrigation which is not absorbed into the ground flows over the ground surface, back into streams, to finally reach that point.

Watershed would be the area that water flows into the the drainage area.

Yep, exactly what I was talking about.

bucktalk
04-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Drove by lake Hefner yesterday. Looks like it's within a few feet of being at a normal level. Hope it can maintain a full look all summer. Yeah, hope and reality don't always match up.

OKCretro
04-13-2017, 07:05 PM
seems like today has been a pretty good soaker