03-21-2017, 06:08 AM
150 room Canopy Hotel with rooftop bar
125 room Home 2 Hotel
(2) 80-100 unit apartment / condo buildings
Multi-level parking garage

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bodyworks2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bodyworks110615a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bodyworks110615b.jpg

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2734/R133581040001qA.jpg

NewsOK Article (http://newsok.com/new-developer-enters-picture-for-east-bricktown-hotel-project/article/5393067)

edcrunk
03-21-2017, 09:11 AM
It's exciting to see Bricktown booming with construction.

_Kyle
03-21-2017, 07:35 PM
New thread, I'm guessing the permit was approved?

Pete
03-22-2017, 06:24 AM
New thread, I'm guessing the permit was approved?

Nope, not yet.

Pete
04-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Building permit still hasn't been issued but they are starting to tear up the site (Staybridge Suites in the background):

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/canopy040817.jpg

KingOfTheNorth
04-09-2017, 05:16 PM
It's going to be a real shame 5 years from now whenever everything is built, developed, and booming and all of these newer buildings that have been picked over by the design review committee will be nestled next to the out-of-place Residence Inn. Are those condos that are in the ground plans just speculative or is there actually some interest to build some there? I can't believe no one has taken the first step into building a substantial condo building downtown yet.

JarrodH
04-10-2017, 10:35 AM
http://nreionline.com/hotel/hotel-overbuilding-softens-new-york-hurts-austin-crushes-oklahoma?es_p=3835426

Interesting article pertaining to hotels and occupancy rates. Am I the only one that finds it alarming that we are in the top 20 markets for new hotels being built but we are dead last in occupancy rates for major cities? Adding hundreds and hundreds more rooms doesn't seem to make any sense.

shawnw
04-10-2017, 10:44 AM
That's a city wide rate that I think downtown is blowing away, no?

Pete
04-10-2017, 10:45 AM
^

Actually, the numbers in that survey are for the entire state.

JarrodH
04-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture. I know I had a friend come into town this weekend and Bricktown had 2 music festivals, a baseball game, a new nightclub opening, and overall beautiful weather. He jumped online and there were plenty of rooms available on Travelocity and he ended up at Aloft for $100. You'd think they'd be completely full with so much going on and they were instead slashing rates.

Laramie
04-10-2017, 11:03 AM
http://nreionline.com/hotel/hotel-overbuilding-softens-new-york-hurts-austin-crushes-oklahoma?es_p=3835426

Interesting article pertaining to hotels and occupancy rates. Am I the only one that finds it alarming that we are in the top 20 markets for new hotels being built but we are dead last in occupancy rates for major cities? Adding hundreds and hundreds more rooms doesn't seem to make any sense.

To echo what Pete mentioned those figures are for the whole state which amid the crisis with the oil prices does make sense. Oklahoma City area is poised to continue with adding hotels, parking and more rooms to get us ready post 2020 when the new convention center complex will be ready to open its doors.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Omni conference hotel development proposal include a residential piece resubmitted to include a private development much like what transpired in Louisville; there are developers who might want to get with Omni to make this happen. Wouldn't look for anything more than 5 additional stories.

Pete
04-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Going to town now:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/canopy041817.jpg

Architect2010
07-25-2017, 02:27 PM
Is the previous site plan with the Cabria and La Quinta hotels no longer planned? The above plan doesn't seem accurate when compared to the rendering of the Canopy (e.g. no drop-off facing Charlie Christian. Rooftop bar is on northern end of Canopy rooftop, not southern.

I ask, because I found the La Quinta/Cabria/Canopy/Parking Garage with Apartments much denser and appealing.

FighttheGoodFight
07-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Is RBA the architecture firm on this one?

_Kyle
12-07-2017, 06:33 PM
Its been a while since i last saw anything about this project. Is it still moving forward?

Pete
12-08-2017, 05:58 AM
Its been a while since i last saw anything about this project. Is it still moving forward?

Yes.

The building permit was just recently issues so we should start to see work there soon.

jonny d
12-08-2017, 07:43 AM
They still planning to build the apartments/condos?

Pete
12-08-2017, 07:45 AM
They still planning to build the apartments/condos?

No, the plan changed some time ago where there will eventually be two other small hotels on the site.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/canopy041916d.jpg

Plutonic Panda
12-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Well that’s a fail. They just don’t ever expect the urbani fabric to continue east? That whole area could be rebuilt with a new grid and become a great neighborhood between Lincoln and MLK.

Teo9969
12-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Well that’s a fail. They just don’t ever expect the urbani fabric to continue east? That whole area could be rebuilt with a new grid and become a great neighborhood between Lincoln and MLK.

So you're finally on board with getting rid of I-235?????????!!!!!

mugofbeer
12-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Two More hotels? I'm sure everyone does research for when there are enough. It may be a few will get converted to apartments if things get overbuilt.

catch22
12-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Two More hotels? I'm sure everyone does research for when there are enough. It may be a few will get converted to apartments if things get overbuilt.

Unlikely that downtown hotels will have issues, it will force lower room rates in the suburbs though.

bucktalk
12-13-2017, 09:06 AM
I spoke with a Bricktown hotel general manager not ago who mentioned that she felt there is a oversaturated hotel market in Bricktown. She said its vary rare that any particular hotel in that area is more than 35% full. Its surprising to me, knowing that fact, that hotels continue to be built there.

Pete
12-13-2017, 09:10 AM
I spoke with a Bricktown hotel general manager not ago who mentioned that she felt there is a oversaturated hotel market in Bricktown. She said its vary rare that any particular hotel in that area is more than 35% full. Its surprising to me, knowing that fact, that hotels continue to be built there.

Downtown hotel occupancy remains relatively strong although that could change with all the new hotels opening soon.

Anonymous.
12-13-2017, 09:14 AM
I've always wondered, do hotels need random consistent bookings to stay afloat, or can they survive on just major events that cause rooms to book up and rates to soar? I am sure there is a balance, but if last weekend was any indication with the Lady Gaga people here, then I am sure the hotels are doing just fine. Bricktown was madness. There was lines to get into everything.

Urbanized
12-13-2017, 09:33 AM
Really interested in where that info comes from. I talk to Bricktown hotel and industry people on a daily basis and they are constantly remarking how strong demand is downtown. The softening right now is at the edges - of the city, not downtown. There definitely is some concern for what the influx is doing to prices for downtown and for the entire industry - new hotels need for rates to stay above a certain level to remain profitable, even when full - but there has been little if any talk about vacancy issues in the core.

Also, the newer hotel properties will get a major shot in the arm with the opening of the convention center, which is surely something developers are banking on.

The reality is that we don't have an overbuilt problem in OKC so much as we have an under-demolished problem (to borrow a phrase from the late John Q Hammons). Many of the older, jankier (and unfortunately larger) properties around town are completely paid for and can profitably keep their doors open with minimal staff and leasing rooms at a depressed rate that puts downward rate pressure on new hotels, forcing them to compete at rates which are marginally profitable or worse. This is yet another consequence of bad land use policy over the decades, which keep land values and property taxes so low that owners have little incentive to redevelop spent properties.

Would be interested to hear Pryor Tiger's take on vacancy in Bricktown. He's involved with the imminent opening of two properties in the district and just moved over to them from another new-ish one that for some time was the top performing Holiday Inn Express in the country.

Pryor Tiger
12-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Occupancy is definitely not 35% and under in Bricktown, surprised to hear that sentiment. Overall, the end of 2017 is coming on quite strong year over year for the market considering 2016 Nov and Dec were pretty tough as economy was down, little to no oil and gas, and election cycle. At this point, I would confidently say there are maybe a couple properties lower than 70% annual occupancy in DT OKC and Avg Daily Rate/Revenue Per Room is higher in DT/BT than in any other district in Oklahoma. I think we have absorbed the SpringHill and the 21C at this point just due to increased overall room demand. Looking at the numbers, I think most owners would be happy with where things are now if they continue but the reality is we will likely see a short term decline until the Convention Center opens with another 3 hotels opening 2018 and 4-5 more in 2019-2020. Then I think it becomes more important to run a great property and have a successful sales gameplan until the new influx of demand comes in.

In terms of the Convention Center, we have started to receive some request for proposals (RFP's) for 2020-2022 and I can tell you we are already playing ball in a completely different stratosphere. Events that have double the participants of what we can handle now, with needs for dozens of breakout spaces and over 3000 guest rooms a night. I believe with the right leadership at the CVB, in partnership with Omni Sales Team, our DT hotel supply has to be over 5,000 guest rooms when the CC opens. Right now we are sliding above 2,500 and I do think we will be right near 5,000 in 2020-21.

Urbanized is right on with his post in all areas, however most pertinent truly is the issue of about 20-25 hotels that really drag down market ADR. This hurts in many ways including driving down overall rate, but also our government rate ($95) is heavily predicated off the market ADR and would likely go up $10-15 if this happened. That alone would make a financial impact across the board for every hotel.. For comparison, Enid has strict hotel rules and they have I believe a $116 Government rate in place.

Lastly, I wish the Canopy well. I think we are really fortunate to be getting hotels that are very limited nationwide like the Canopy Hilton, AC Marriott, and 21C. Add to that a couple of Marriott signature autograph collection properties and we are making quite a name for ourselves with excellence in our DT hotel supply.

catch22
12-13-2017, 12:16 PM
^ Thanks to the insight. Very exciting post to read.

David
12-13-2017, 01:25 PM
Yeah, that kind of industry analysis is fascinating.

Urbanized
12-14-2017, 08:03 AM
Thanks Pryor Tiger!

Zuplar
02-28-2019, 11:14 AM
According to the Oklahoman this is dead.

G.Walker
02-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Thank goodness! Enough with the cheap hotels already. Now lets see a nice mixed-use office/residential development for this area.

GoThunder
02-28-2019, 12:16 PM
Thank goodness! Enough with the cheap hotels already. Now lets see a nice mixed-use office/residential development for this area.
Completely agree. This site needs a quality mixed use development with a focus on density.

LakeEffect
02-28-2019, 12:32 PM

For the record, Canopy wouldn't have been a cheap hotel.

jonny d
02-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Completely agree. This site needs a quality mixed use development with a focus on density.

Canopy isn't a cheap hotel. But by all means, don't let facts get in the way of your post.

I actually agree with you, in terms of what is needed; but not about the Canopy being cheap.

Pete
02-28-2019, 12:40 PM
Canopy would have been a higher-end, full-service hotel.

But the other two were the typical through-the-wall-HVAC places you see all over the city.

GoThunder
02-28-2019, 12:40 PM
Canopy isn't a cheap hotel. But by all means, don't let facts get in the way of your post.

I actually agree with you, in terms of what is needed; but not about the Canopy being cheap.
Was moreso agreeing with the second half of G.Walker’s post, but thank you. Canopy would have been nice but I think mixed use is the best option for this site.

HangryHippo
02-28-2019, 12:56 PM
I'd like to see the Bricktown Renaissance happen as planned and for the Canopy Hotel to happen on the lot of the (now dead) Cummins Building proposal. Bricktown needs some full-service hotels and both would be good additions. The rest of Bricktown needs some mixed-use development.

jonny d
02-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Was moreso agreeing with the second half of G.Walker’s post, but thank you. Canopy would have been nice but I think mixed use is the best option for this site.

Yes. I would love a mixed-use type project. Might not have a ton of height (doesn't need to be tall), but I would love some residences (not apartments) for Bricktown.

SagerMichael
02-28-2019, 01:00 PM
Let the people behind Penn Central get their hands on this land. Now that would be exciting

soonerguru
02-28-2019, 07:39 PM
I wish the Canopy were the concept being built on 6th in Auto Alley. Much better fit for the area than a Towneplace Suites.