View Full Version : New double oven installation question

SoonerDave
03-11-2017, 12:09 PM
We're planning a migration from a single oven to a double oven, and I'm looking at electrical requirements.

Presently, we have a glass-surface electric cooktop and single oven, and it appears those two are powered by a 240V, 40A breaker (two 120V/40A breakers tied together). Most of the installation specs for the ovens I've seen so far say they want a *dedicated* 240V, 40A circuit, so it raises concerns for me that if we leverage the existing wiring and install a double oven, we risk tripping that breaker the first time both ovens are in operation along with the cooktop.

Can anyone with electrical/appliance backgrounds provide any insight on this? The cost of running a dedicated 240V/40A line (to serve either the cooktop or the oven exclusively) would probably make me reconsider this whole double-oven project, unfortunately. I've got plenty of room in the breaker box, fortunately, and if I did go to the trouble/expense of having new wiring run, I'd probably specify 50-60A capacity as I know some ovens are a bit more power-hungry...

(I'm a pretty handy DIYer, and I've actually done some minor work in the house - replaced plugs/switches, spliced in a new outlet from a junction box), but running a new 3-phase circuit from the wall is waaaay over my comfort level.

Thanks in advance for any info.

gopokes88
03-11-2017, 01:56 PM
I just did it in the house we just bought. Replaced the old oven/microwave combo that ran off a 240 and had to run another dedicated 240 for the convection microwave oven. Cost $250 to run another wire not a big deal considered the price of the ovens.

rezman
03-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Sooner, 3 phase is not an issue in residential electric. Residential electric service is single phase. It would only be a matter of pulling the proper 4 wire romex from your panel to your desired outlet. Something like 12/3 or 10/3 romex for example, installing the proper double pole breaker in your panel and outlet in your kitchen. Besides amperage requirments, the brand of panel you have will determine what type of breakers you need. ( Square D, Cutler Hammer, GE, etc.)

Your 240v 1ph outlet will essentially be 2 120v legs brought over from your panel.