View Full Version : Big 12 Wrestling Tournament

cindycat
03-06-2017, 07:56 AM
Why was it called the Big 12 Tournament, when it was held in a non-Big 12 city and had wrestlers from non-Big 12 schools? Thanks.

OSUFan
03-06-2017, 08:12 AM
Not sure Tulsa is a non-Big 12 city. If Tulsa is non-Big 12 then so is OKC.

There are currently only 4 Big 12 schools that wrestle so they merged with another conference so they could have a full tournament. There are only 60 or 70 DI wrestling programs so you can't stick with your traditional conferences.

AP
03-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Everything you need to know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Conference

Laramie
03-06-2017, 09:34 AM
Not sure Tulsa is a non-Big 12 city. If Tulsa is non-Big 12 then so is OKC.

There are currently only 4 Big 12 schools that wrestle so they merged with another conference so they could have a full tournament. There are only 60 or 70 DI wrestling programs so you can't stick with your traditional conferences.

Norman is in OKC's metropolitan area.

Have no problem with Tulsa hosting the Big 12 Wrestling since Tulsa is just as positioned with Big 12 schools (Iowa State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and West Virginia) surrounding it to help cut down on all participants travel expenses. Also think of the economic impact that non conference participants will have on Tulsa & Oklahoma by hosting this tournament in our state.

AP
03-06-2017, 09:54 AM
I personally don't think it should be in a Big 12 city for advantage purposes.

Eric
03-09-2017, 11:40 AM
I personally don't think it should be in a Big 12 city for advantage purposes.

Wrestling is no different than the other sports when it comes to choosing a venue.

Most Recent Big XII Championship Venues:
M Basketball:Sprint Center, Kansas City
W Basketball:Chesapeake Energy Arena, Oklahoma City
Baseball: Bricktown Ballpark, Oklahoma City
Softball:ASA Hall of Fame Stadium, Oklahoma City, OK
Gymnastics:Dr. Pepper Arena, Frico, TX
W Golf: The Dominion Country Club, San Antonio, TX
M Golf: Prairie Dunes Country Club, Hutchinson, KS

Some of the sports requiring facilities that are far less common in major cities (Equistrian/Tennis/Track & Field) it appears are held on participant school's campus. However, I doubt home field advantage really plays a part in it.

AP
03-09-2017, 12:13 PM
I understand that. I was saying it makes sense to have it in Tulsa, counter to the OPs point...