View Full Version : Recommendations on outdoor speakers?

BBatesokc
03-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Awhile back we did indoor speakers throughout our house utilizing over a dozen Sonos speakers and their app. We are extremely happy with the sound quality, ease of self-installation and the features of their app.

With Spring here and more activities outside, we want to incorporate speakers into our outdoor spaces as well.

Question: Anyone here ever utilize permanently installed Sonos speakers outside (under a well covered patio of course, since they don't make a weatherproof [ or even outdoor] speaker)? Or, have a recommendation for some speakers to hang under our eaves that don't cost a fortune? We are willing to purchase the Sonos amp to allow outdoor non-Sonos speakers to be incorporated into our system. I'm not an audiophile, so it doesn't have to be 'the best' - just something that sounds good and for a reasonable price. Would even consider burying some bass in the yard - neighbors did that and it sounds unbelievable.

Pete
03-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Yes, have installed Sonos speakers under a overhang where no water can get to it and so far, so good.

The other option is to use a Sonos Connect inside (which allows full Sonos capabilities through the app) then run speaker wire to outdoor, weather-proof speakers. That is the preferred solution by Sonos and they won't honor the warranty if their speakers are installed outside.

BBatesokc
03-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Yes, have installed Sonos speakers under a overhang where no water can get to it and so far, so good.

The other option is to use a Sonos Connect inside (which allows full Sonos capabilities through the app) then run speaker wire to outdoor, weather-proof speakers. That is the preferred solution by Sonos and they won't honor the warranty if their speakers are installed outside.

I don't have an existing amp, so I'd probably go a step up to the Sonos Connect: Amp.

I'm unclear as to how many wired speakers I can connect to the Sonos Connect: Amp and in how many different zones (never been an audio person - so, I'm clueless). Ideally I'd like to add three zones (back porch, front porch, porch off the master bedroom). This dilemma is what caused me to consider simply adding more Sonos indoor speakers outside (protected) - this way I could simply add more zones effortlessly. That said, I don't think I have enough protection except on my front porch.

Not too worried about warranty considerations - we've always had TV's hung outside that violated the warranty and it's never been a problem.

On Amazon, some of their pairs of $100 outdoor speakers are actually rated pretty well. So, I guess that's a consideration as long as I can hide the wires.

Pete
03-05-2017, 11:43 AM
You can connect 2 or 4 speakers to the Connect Amp. Connect and Connect AMP don't have a mono option so speakers must be in pairs. But obviously you can use a solo Sonos speaker.

Each Connect or Connect AMP is one zone, or 'room' in Sonos parlance.

BBatesokc
03-05-2017, 11:52 AM
You can connect 2 or 4 speakers to the Connect Amp. Connect and Connect AMP don't have a mono option so speakers must be in pairs. But obviously you can use a solo Sonos speaker.

Each Connect or Connect AMP is one zone, or 'room' in Sonos parlance.

Yikes - so, a $500 Sonos Connect: Amp per zone/room? This may continue to be a 'work in progress.'

kevinpate
03-05-2017, 12:41 PM
I's suggest outdoor rated speakers. Even with really deep overhangs, we get enough wind blowing rain sideways that the replacement costs on non-outdoor speakers might add up.

ctchandler
03-05-2017, 08:48 PM
I's suggest outdoor rated speakers. Even with really deep overhangs, we get enough wind blowing rain sideways that the replacement costs on non-outdoor speakers might add up.

Kevin,
I totally agree. There are several really good outdoor speakers that won't break the bank.
C. T.

positano
03-06-2017, 02:36 PM
I installed two small B&W speakers purchased from Audio Dimensions in an outdoor space. Mounted under an eave, around 10 feet high, probably 5 feet back from the roof line (so pretty sheltered). Don't get much direct sun other than first thing in the morning. Used for going on ten years, never had an issue. Unfortunately, way too far back to remember what I paid, but I am certain I would not have spent more than a few hundred dollars, at the most. They are not outdoor rated.

kswright29
03-07-2017, 08:11 PM
I went the easy route and bought a couple of UE Boom wireless speakers and paired together they sound great. Easy to move anywhere, indoors or out.

BBatesokc
03-08-2017, 09:23 AM
I went the easy route and bought a couple of UE Boom wireless speakers and paired together they sound great. Easy to move anywhere, indoors or out.

We used to use some lower end bluetooth speakers inside (similar to UE Boom) and then a couple of ION Block Rockers outside (weatherproof and roll around). And it worked fine for the most part.

But, it's just really no comparison to something like a SONOS setup. For one, SONOS utilizes wifi instead of bluetooth. The sound is excellent and the app allows you to decide exactly what you want to play from each individual speaker and at what volume.

I can have the audio from televised sports booming in the back patio and living room, while the front porch, kitchen and bed room has the wife's favorite music playing and while the kids are upstairs broadcasting PS4 games in surround sound in the game room.

When you have a dinner party you can play the music throughout the house and each guest can log on and add their favorite song to the playlist for the night.

It's really pretty sweet.