View Full Version : Big 12 Football 2017

Pages : [1] 2

ljbab728
03-04-2017, 10:18 PM
With this update on OU going into spring practice, it's time to start looking at the upcoming season seriously.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5540271

Laramie
03-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Would love to look at the upcoming season; however there's always some kind of off-field controversy brewing in the slow cooker.

My frustration with the OU Sooner football team is getting the best of me. With all of these concerns of late; Stoops' brothers may need to have Mammary glands implanted with anabolic steroids on their chest so they can breast feed & potty train some of these players--they're full of it.

Is there some kind of 'get-in-trouble' disease epidemic present in the locker room; maybe that's where we need to fumigate. :biggrin:

SOONER8693
03-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Would love to look at the upcoming season; however there's always some kind of off-field controversy brewing in the slow cooker.

My frustration with the OU Sooner football team is getting the best of me. With all of these concerns of late; Stoops' brothers may need to have Mammary glands implanted with anabolic steroids on their chest so they can breast feed & potty train some of these players--they're full of it.

Is there some kind of 'get-in-trouble' disease epidemic present in the locker room; maybe that's where we need to fumigate. :biggrin:
WOW! You need to put down the gun and step back from the edge of the cliff.

Laramie
03-05-2017, 03:31 PM
wow! You need to put down the gun and step back from the edge of the cliff.

:lol2:

ljbab728
03-29-2017, 10:23 PM
I'm not particularly fond of Thursday night games for the state schools, but we will have the national spotlight on the Sooner state to start the season.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5543554

Eric
03-30-2017, 05:59 AM
I like the comments in the story about how it is so hard for people to make it to Thursday night games in Stillwater after work. Portreying the ticket holders as your average working stiff.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Disclosure: OSU Alum

AP
03-30-2017, 11:28 AM
Every ticket holder I know(myself included) works a regular 40 hour a week job and it would be difficult to make it to this game.

Eric
03-30-2017, 11:39 AM
Every ticket holder I know(myself included) works a regular 40 hour a week job and it would be difficult to make it to this game.

Have you no PTO?

And many that can’t afford tickets work Saturday’s too. You know, the people serving you all at Joe’s.

jerrywall
03-30-2017, 11:39 AM
Also, for some reason the Thursday night games seem upset prone

AP
03-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Have you no PTO?

Yes. I happen to use those for vacation and military obligations and not Thursday night football games.

Spartan
03-30-2017, 07:36 PM
I like the comments in the story about how it is so hard for people to make it to Thursday night games in Stillwater after work. Portreying the ticket holders as your average working stiff.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Disclosure: OSU Alum

Campus does have to cancel night classes, and even afternoon classes closer to the stadium (CEAT, Business, Arts). Also losing the OKC/Tulsa crowd (granted it's not all 60,000) is significant, especially in the tailgating scene. The students have had all day to drink, but even the few season ticket holders that make the drive after work are totally sober. That's no fun.

The town loses one of its 7-8 biggest days for economic development.

It's not ideal any way you look at it. I'd rather some school we play on the road do the Thursday thing, and then we still get the spotlight.

SoonerDave
03-31-2017, 07:23 AM
Campus does have to cancel night classes, and even afternoon classes closer to the stadium (CEAT, Business, Arts). Also losing the OKC/Tulsa crowd (granted it's not all 60,000) is significant, especially in the tailgating scene. The students have had all day to drink, but even the few season ticket holders that make the drive after work are totally sober. That's no fun.

The town loses one of its 7-8 biggest days for economic development.

It's not ideal any way you look at it. I'd rather some school we play on the road do the Thursday thing, and then we still get the spotlight.

Hey EVERYONE gets the raw end of this horrible conference and conference TV contract at some point. I actually think I remember someone saying Joe C told the Big 12 OU would flatly refuse to do any Thursday games, period, and I think part of that "exchange" was for OU to get stuck with a lot of 11AM kickoffs - which are just awful. C'est la vie when you sell out for the TV rights...

ljbab728
04-01-2017, 02:04 AM
This is a scheduling move that I think is beneficial to the Big 12.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-19047402

West Virginia's opener against Virginia Tech in Landover, Maryland, has been moved to Sunday night Sept. 3 and will be televised by ABC.

West Virginia, unlike many Big 12 teams, does not shy away from playing some good competition in non-conference games.

SoonerDave
04-01-2017, 06:44 AM
This is a scheduling move that I think is beneficial to the Big 12.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-19047402

West Virginia, unlike many Big 12 teams, does not shy away from playing some good competition in non-conference games.

I'm sure not crazy about college football on Sunday. That's a Saturday thing. Leave Sunday to the NFL types. I know, probably pipe dreaming, but that notwithstanding, leave it on Saturday.

This is Fuente's second year at Virginia Tech, and I think its still a program in transition from Beamer. It will be interesting to see if Fuente can push Va Tech to that next echelon of success.

ljbab728
04-01-2017, 09:58 PM
I'm sure not crazy about college football on Sunday. That's a Saturday thing. Leave Sunday to the NFL types. I know, probably pipe dreaming, but that notwithstanding, leave it on Saturday.

This is Fuente's second year at Virginia Tech, and I think its still a program in transition from Beamer. It will be interesting to see if Fuente can push Va Tech to that next echelon of success.

Va. Tech has had some very good seasons but they've never been in the upper echelon in college football. If he gets them there, he will have been a great success.

Spartan
04-04-2017, 07:53 PM
Hey EVERYONE gets the raw end of this horrible conference and conference TV contract at some point. I actually think I remember someone saying Joe C told the Big 12 OU would flatly refuse to do any Thursday games, period, and I think part of that "exchange" was for OU to get stuck with a lot of 11AM kickoffs - which are just awful. C'est la vie when you sell out for the TV rights...

The Big 12 is throwing OU/OSU's wishes under the bus because they don't bring as many TV sets as you'd think. I'll concede that OU is a national brand that always attracts interest, same as OSU when they're hot, but that still doesn't bring in a dedicated viewing audience outside of our small state. Both schools may as well be Ole Miss or Utah as far as the networks are concerned. A semi-perennially 5-7 Texas team will always be more valuable on TV.

If all things were equal, and all that mattered was results on the field, both schools would be in primetime and Kansas would be Saturday 11 am and Texas Tech on Thursday nights.

BoulderSooner
04-05-2017, 08:46 AM
The Big 12 is throwing OU/OSU's wishes under the bus because they don't bring as many TV sets as you'd think. I'll concede that OU is a national brand that always attracts interest, same as OSU when they're hot, but that still doesn't bring in a dedicated viewing audience outside of our small state. Both schools may as well be Ole Miss or Utah as far as the networks are concerned. A semi-perennially 5-7 Texas team will always be more valuable on TV.

If all things were equal, and all that mattered was results on the field, both schools would be in primetime and Kansas would be Saturday 11 am and Texas Tech on Thursday nights.

Actually ou along with Texas get pretty much anything from the big 12 ou will never play a home Thursday night game no other big 12 school has that deal.

And as far as ratings ou and osu are not close to the same boat. Ou is a national brand and get some of the best ratings in America.

Eric
05-05-2017, 12:07 PM
So I thought this little sniped from an ESPN article was surprising to me. But I don't know Venables all that well so... It is in regards to the recent grad transfer from Clemson.

It was a conversation with Venables, however, that helped Baker narrow his list.

"He told me which schools were good, which would be a good fit," Baker said. "He said [Oklahoma State] was similar to Clemson, that they treat players the right way, that they believe in the right things, do stuff the right way.

"He also said that they'd win a lot of ball games."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19288912/how-grad-transfers-become-college-football-free-agents

Curious why he was so high on the program, or why he compared it to Clemson. Or why he didn't suggest another in state school as an option.

Dustin
09-16-2017, 07:59 PM
Man, OU is looking really impressive this year.

Defense could use some work. They struggled tonight with Tulane in the first half, but most teams tend to struggle with the triple option.

We might have a Heisman winner and a natty at the end of the season! *knock on wood*

Urbanized
09-16-2017, 09:05 PM
Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

d-usa
09-17-2017, 05:59 AM
I wasn't just wondering if there will be "Stoops should have left sooner" talk coming up soon.

dcsooner
09-17-2017, 06:20 AM
I wasn't just wondering if there will be "Stoops should have left sooner" talk coming up soon.

No, not HC Stoops BUT DC Stoops. I project that somewhere this season MS defense will get torched

Doug Loudenback
09-17-2017, 06:34 AM
Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

Are you whispering, "Mason Rudolph?" Just askin'.

Urbanized
09-17-2017, 07:31 AM
No, I'm whispering "don't jinx OU."

Dustin
09-17-2017, 08:20 AM
Hey, I said "knock on wood." Dont blame me if we lose next week! :wink:

gopokes88
09-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Oklahoma schools are elite, the rest of the big 12 is meh

soonermike81
09-17-2017, 09:14 AM
It's 3 games into the year. We have a long road ahead.

Bellaboo
09-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Texas had USC on the ropes. Lost in double OT but USC was ranked #4. Not sure they deserve it though.

Dustin
09-17-2017, 12:49 PM
Texas is going to be hungry, and facing us in the RRS is going to make them even hungrier. I expect them to be a challenge.

Doug Loudenback
09-17-2017, 01:00 PM
No, I'm whispering "don't jinx OU."

Why, do you think, that I would not wanna do that? Go Pokes!

OKC_on_mines
09-17-2017, 07:10 PM
No, not HC Stoops BUT DC Stoops. I project that somewhere this season MS defense will get torched

Its crazy because he gets torched but then he does good.

He can be stubborn at times but its very refreshing to see the d line play better (Coach ruffin mcneil) and the willingness to play freshmen if they are the better athletes.

Eric
09-22-2017, 05:10 AM
I for one think it is pretty awesome that national articles are coming out saying how Oklahoma (the entire state) is the capital of college football this season. All my non-local non-Big 12 country friends ask me who is the favorite, and my standing answer this season has been "probably someone from Oklahoma". I still feel pretty confident in that prediction.

OKC_on_mines
09-22-2017, 05:34 PM
+1

Doug Loudenback
09-23-2017, 02:39 AM
I for one think it is pretty awesome that national articles are coming out saying how Oklahoma (the entire state) is the capital of college football this season. All my non-local non-Big 12 country friends ask me who is the favorite, and my standing answer this season has been "probably someone from Oklahoma". I still feel pretty confident in that prediction.

Yeah, that is pretty cool. As an OSU guy, I do have to say that I am rooting for them both, one just a bit more than the other.

SoonerDave
09-23-2017, 06:00 AM
Two things that help the big12 this year are that aside from Alabama, the SEC just isn't very good, and as time progresses, the same will emerge about the Pac12. We've already seen hints of this with Stanford's loss to San Diego State. USC did not impress me at all, either at QB or WR, and put out what I think was an absurdly conservative offensive game plan that played to UT's defensive strengths. When USC threw downfield, receivers were open, but often dropped the ball.
I am very interested in the TCU game tonight. Expecting a shootout if the "real" Kenny Hill shows u p...if not, easy OSU win.

Jake
09-23-2017, 03:39 PM
Oklahoma State getting exposed. Let's see if they can pull out a W.

Eric
09-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Couldn't make it one game into their Big 12 slate before disappointing me.

I'm not sure if our receivers were just exposed or TCU has about 4 NFL ready defensive backs, cause they were completely covered the entire game.

I know our O-Line was pretty banged up and a lot of subs and subs of subs were playing. During their first drive in the second half, the right tackle got flipped around so bad he literally sacked Mason, and got injured in the process (Mason was apparently not hurt). Very next play, interception. smh

dcsooner
09-23-2017, 06:59 PM
Please fire Mike Stoops
OU defense getting exposed again

Laramie
09-23-2017, 08:50 PM
OU Sooner defense stepped up on the road in a hostile environment.

Dustin
09-23-2017, 09:02 PM
How did we best Ohio State in their house? Baylor exposed us tonight.

PhiAlpha
09-24-2017, 08:41 AM
How did we best Ohio State in their house? Baylor exposed us tonight.

As they say....that’s why they play the games. Though we struggled a bit for about half the game, at least we won. I’m sure OSU would much rather be in that position this morning.

OKC_on_mines
09-24-2017, 12:04 PM
Yeah but Mike stoops is soooo scary man. He likes to rush 3 and drop 8 and send his best pass rusher OUt into coverage. Why is OBO dropping into coverage? And why only rush 3 and drop 8 and have your corners play 10 yards off the line of scrimmage?

yunome12@yahoo.com
09-24-2017, 12:12 PM

Still the same old OSU...NO DEFENSE! They will never ever win a championship with all of their 2&3 Star players.

chuck5815
09-24-2017, 03:18 PM
still the same old osu...no defense! They will never ever win a championship with all of their 2&3 star players.

faaaarr gundy!!

Eric
09-25-2017, 04:19 AM
Still the same old OSU...NO DEFENSE! They will never ever win a championship with all of their 2&3 Star players.

I suggest a little analysis before making blanket statements. Yes, I know they lost. But I'm not exactly ready to throw in the towel quite yet on this team. There is a long, LONG way to go before the Big 12 title game. And OSU isn't the only team in the state whose offense can often mask suspect defensive play.

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/117668/who-played-the-best-defense-in-the-big-12-in-2016

SoonerDave
09-25-2017, 06:17 AM
What surprised me about OSU-TCU was not so much TCU's offense playing well, but in OSU's inability to respond. The loss of two starters on their offensive line is obviously critically damaging their pass protections, but even with that Rudolph had a very surprising day. Patterson does defense about as well as anyone in the Big 12, and if Hill doesn't go Jekyll-and-Hyde, they could be a problem the rest of the way. And Tech looks better than expected, meaning O-State better be really careful this weekend or things could get ugly...

Glad the #Sooners have a bye. They need to get well and get their heads in check. Ohio State is past, an unknown in Texas looms, and defensive issues may be coming back. OU needs less smack talk and more smart play. I think Baker needs to cultivate the maturity a third-year starter should already have and let his play on the field do his talking.

Eric
09-25-2017, 09:00 AM
I agree SoonerDave. What was extremely disheartening is TCU just dared us to run all day by dropping so many back into protection and we just didn't. I remember the days when OSU's prolific offense was extremely balanced. Even in that 2011 run when Weeden and Blackmon were torching defensive backfields, Joseph Randle was doing the same on the ground (5.8/carry). And Jeremy Smith was not too shabby either (7.1/carry). Currently Hill averages 5.7 and King 6.6, but that's before Big 12 play has been completed. Against TCU, Hill averaged 4.1. TCU committed to controlling the clock and keeping the OSU off the field. They ran the ball 52 times (vs OSU 31) for 238 yards (101 for OSU). That was the difference. That and 4 turnovers will do the trick.

SoonerDave
09-25-2017, 08:52 PM
I agree SoonerDave. What was extremely disheartening is TCU just dared us to run all day by dropping so many back into protection and we just didn't. I remember the days when OSU's prolific offense was extremely balanced. Even in that 2011 run when Weeden and Blackmon were torching defensive backfields, Joseph Randle was doing the same on the ground (5.8/carry). And Jeremy Smith was not too shabby either (7.1/carry). Currently Hill averages 5.7 and King 6.6, but that's before Big 12 play has been completed. Against TCU, Hill averaged 4.1. TCU committed to controlling the clock and keeping the OSU off the field. They ran the ball 52 times (vs OSU 31) for 238 yards (101 for OSU). That was the difference. That and 4 turnovers will do the trick.

Regardless of the offense-du-jour, turnovers are suicide. Heck, one of the reasons Baylor was able to make a "second run" at OU Saturday night was due to a fumble on a drive where OU was looking to take what would have been a 35-25 lead when Marquise Brown fumbled a big first-down catch. Baylor kicked an FG on the ensuing drive and tied the game.

OSU-Tech is going to be a crossroads game for both teams. Tech is already starting out better than most had pegged for them; a win here makes them a legit early-season threat; a loss for OSU is nothing short of devastating for them, as it would give them a second conference loss not even out of September. Lubbock will be primed.

Jake
10-07-2017, 03:08 PM
7 consectutive seasons where OU has lost to a double-digit underdog.

This is the new "Clemsoning"

Roger S
10-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Could be contagious... OU Hockey team lost to ISU last night.

dcsooner
10-07-2017, 03:45 PM
I say again, fire Mike Stoops. Defense continues to yield big points, cannot hold leads

Stew
10-07-2017, 06:50 PM
I say again, fire Mike Stoops. Defense continues to yield big points, cannot hold leads

I truly hope Mike Stoops is the DC for the Sooners for the next 30 years. As they say there's no substitute for experience. ;)

Eric
10-19-2017, 11:15 AM
So since OU and OSU already have a loss this season, has excitement pretty much bottomed out? I always figure to see posts on this thread, particularly following a rather entertaining Red River game.

OKC_on_mines
10-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Oh no.....just some humble pie. SOONERS and pokes still good tho. I think SOONERS still win conference and make it to CFP.

Jake
10-21-2017, 01:06 PM
OSU made a lot of mistakes, but the playcalling has been abysmal. The weakness of the team for the past few years.

dcsooner
10-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Their lackluster play tells me OSU will likely lose. This fits the b12 narrative, parity. They want/need Texas to be relevant nationally next year.

OkiePoke
10-21-2017, 03:17 PM
OSU would be great, except their offensive line makes their O seem suspect.

Jake
10-21-2017, 03:17 PM
OU looks like it has a legitimately bad defense. What a disappointment after the Ohio State game.

dcsooner
10-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Fire Mike Stoops

Stew
10-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Fire Mike Stoops

No freaking way. Give him a life time contract with a dedicated trainer and dietician clause.