View Full Version : Overdue paper/temp tags

Of Sound Mind
03-01-2017, 11:18 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13633&stc=1

Caught this vehicle with a paper tag nearly FOUR months old... I see countless expired paper/temporary tags on a weekly basis, some expired by MANY months — saw one a few months ago that was more than NINE months old. It's infuriating for those who follow the rules.

We could eliminate these abuses and help our state's budget woes by taking care of tag, title and tax at time of purchase. If the taxes and fees have been already paid (when purchasing the car), there's no incentive to avoid going to the tag agency to pick up proper plates. Perhaps if law enforcement was allowed to immediately tow any paper tag that's expired, people might be more diligent.

HangryHippo
03-01-2017, 12:55 PM
Agreed.

Zuplar
03-01-2017, 01:12 PM
These are probably the same people who never even make a payment on the car and get it repoed in 6 months.

traxx
03-01-2017, 01:30 PM
These are probably the same people who never even make a payment on the car and get it repoed in 6 months.

Why waste money on a plate when you're just gonna get it repoed in a few months?

Bill Robertson
03-01-2017, 01:38 PM
I see a guy at a couple places I hang out that has had the paper tag on a Mercedes for a couple of years. I'm sure he scammed his way into the car to boot.

Zuplar
03-01-2017, 01:42 PM
Why waste money on a plate when you're just gonna get it repoed in a few months?

Exactly. Guys got 2 more months left before he has to go pick out another car for the next 6 months.

I know for a fact this is a thing. I had a deadbeat friend that did this for 4 years before those "we finance you" dealers wouldn't finance him anymore. It's ridiculous.

OKCisOK4me
03-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Drives me crazy!

Scott5114
03-01-2017, 04:20 PM
It's not just paper tags. It's pretty easy to find a lot of expired regular-issue tags if you start looking for them.

BBatesokc
03-02-2017, 04:59 AM
At a $1 a day (late fee) it's gets pretty pricey when you go to buy your new sticker.

Bill Robertson
03-02-2017, 06:10 AM
It's not just paper tags. It's pretty easy to find a lot of expired regular-issue tags if you start looking for them.True but some of us renew and then forget to put them on. As much as I hate to admit it i've done that a couple times.

Roger S
03-02-2017, 07:05 AM
Was behind a car on Shields this morning with a paper tag dated 02-21-17.... It was pretty obvious the 02 was a converted 01 because the ink was darker and the 2 in the 02 looked different than the 2 in the 21.

OkiePoke
03-02-2017, 07:30 AM
At a $1 a day (late fee) it's gets pretty pricey when you go to buy your new sticker.

Is that capped at a dollar amount?

BBatesokc
03-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Is that capped at a dollar amount?

Used to be, but i don't think it is now.

HangryHippo
03-02-2017, 07:46 AM
I think it used to be capped at $100 or something like that.

BLJR
03-02-2017, 08:22 AM
State would get some much needed tax revenue if we charged at time of purchase, and these tote the note places would just figure it into the $ of the car. There is also a loophole.... When they go trade it in, or it gets repoed back to a dealer, the dealer that buys it simply has to put his $20 sticker on the title, and that pretty much wipes the slate clean of any past due tag, and then the next purchaser of the car takes it to the tag agency and he has to only pay the next year of the tag.

Basically if they never paid the tag and it gets traded in to a dealer, regardless of how far past due the tag is, it gets wiped clean through the dealer. Most dealers don't do this because if they get audited they are messed, but you know there are some out there doing it......

TheTravellers
03-02-2017, 09:26 AM
But if you had to buy the tags at the dealer, the tag agents would cry foul over their cozy relationship with the state being cut into by the dealers. BTW, I'm totally in favor of busting the overdue paper tags, just playing devil's advocate. :Smiley122

jerrywall
03-02-2017, 09:35 AM
I've known people that have financed their tag in with their car, then cashed the check and never tagged the car. Expensive way to get some money (although I guess if the car gets repo'd they don't ever pay anything back).

BLJR
03-02-2017, 10:22 AM
But if you had to buy the tags at the dealer, the tag agents would cry foul over their cozy relationship with the state being cut into by the dealers. BTW, I'm totally in favor of busting the overdue paper tags, just playing devil's advocate. :Smiley122

TheTravellers yes, you are correct. Do you or anyone happen to know what kind of cut a tag agency gets when we law obiding tag paying citizens show up there every year to pay and renew?

jerrywall
03-02-2017, 10:37 AM
TheTravellers yes, you are correct. Do you or anyone happen to know what kind of cut a tag agency gets when we law obiding tag paying citizens show up there every year to pay and renew?

I don't know the cut, but tag agencies have a limit on how much revenue they can make after expenses. Most of the ones in the metro exceed this, so this wouldn't affect them much. HOWEVER, the excess goes to the schools in their community. This is why when I renew my tag online I always choose an Edmond tag agency for the renewal. The schools are the ones who would be affected the most by an idea like this (caveat - my information is dated from when I knew a tag agent personally... like 15 years dated... so could be out of date or no longer valid).