View Full Version : Need lawn weed control service recommendation - OKC

SoonerDave
02-27-2017, 04:51 PM
I need some recommendations for a lawn weed control company here in OKC. I do *not* want a long-term, multi-application contract.

At this point, I really just need my backyard treated (typical late winter application). The company I normally use did my front yard, as I had requested, but due to some change in plans on my part I needed to have them come back and do the back yard, and they categorically (and rather belligerently) refused. I even offered to pay a surcharge if they'd come back, but it was too much of a hassle for them. #Grumble. (I just get frustrated with companies that treat customers like they're a horrendous inconvenience..but that's a separate rant).

Anyway, if anyone knows of a company they'd recommend, I'd be most appreciative.

Achilleslastand
02-27-2017, 05:17 PM
I needed help with Grub worms a couple of years ago and Mother Nature's pest and lawn control came out and did 1 or 2 applications w/o me having to sign a contract. http://mothernaturesinc.com/ Good luck!

u50254082
02-27-2017, 06:49 PM
Would you want to do it yourself? I can give you the info on what to buy and you can do your own application every year for considerably cheaper. The results are the same (speaking strictly from a pre-emergent standpoint).

SoonerDave
02-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Would you want to do it yourself? I can give you the info on what to buy and you can do your own application every year for considerably cheaper. The results are the same (speaking strictly from a pre-emergent standpoint).

I'm ordinarily a big do-it-yourselfer type, but I think I'd probably be more comfortable if I let someone else familiar with handling the chemicals do the job. No doubt it would be cheaper. Thanks, though!

emtefury
02-27-2017, 08:57 PM
I use The Greener Side Lawn Care. https://www.thegreenersidelawnokc.com

They are in Mustang but service OKC. I do not have a plan with them, but they some at the regular intervals. I am sure they would a one time. I prefer a company over do it myself for lawn chemical application.

betts
02-27-2017, 10:01 PM
Weed and feed kills beneficial insects and the runoff ends up in our water supply.. We need to move away from perfect lawns. Just mow and it will look good enough.

jompster
02-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Weed and feed kills beneficial insects and the runoff ends up in our water supply.. We need to move away from perfect lawns. Just mow and it will look good enough.

I second this. I usually just go over it with a thatch rake, and it pulls out the excess thatch AND the weeds. Then a few weeks later I end up with thick grass and neighbors who keep petting it to see if it's real lol.

TheTravellers
02-28-2017, 10:45 AM

Not always - our lawn on NW 164th/Penn was almost completely overrun with about 15 different kinds of weeds, almost no grass was showing, it was horrible and awful. Had someone come out and treat it our 2nd year there and that pretty much took care of it. Need to do that to a lesser amount this year for our new house (the people took care of the yard better here), but am going to try an organic/natural company, haven't called anybody yet, but need to soon. Looks like a couple of the ones I looked at do one-off (or two/three-off) applications, and I don't need fertilizer, just the weeds killed, so I'll post back with my results once I get off my butt and get it done.

SoonerDave
02-28-2017, 11:14 AM

Hmm...that's really a matter of opinion. It presumes my goal is a perfect lawn, which it isn't, and mowing alone is good enough, which it isn't, either.

In fact, I tried the "do nothing" approach last year, and it was the worst mistake I made in the 20 years I've lived in my home. Everyone's mileage may vary, but for me, my back yard needs the help.

KenRagsdale
02-28-2017, 01:29 PM
Be mindful Robins eat Grub Worms. If the Grub Worms are poisoned, The Robins may be as well. http://www.veggiegardener.com/pests/grub-worms/

Relentless85
02-28-2017, 08:16 PM
I have used Bermuda Escapes to treat our yard for the last two years. They are reasonably priced, on time and even text me before they come out to spray the yard.

https://www.bermudaescapeslawncare.com

bradh
02-28-2017, 08:52 PM
Not everyone has the resources you have Betts to live in Maywood with no lawn. I would love that if I could.

Don't fall for large commercial plans that say you need 7+ treatments per year. I have a guy who is a solo operation who does half that for cheaper and better results. I am interested in thatching, need to learn myself on that.

BBatesokc
03-01-2017, 05:53 AM
We are on 2.5 acres and I'm mindful of chemicals - On our property I maintain a bee hive, have a registered pollinator garden/Monarch Waystation, fruit trees, lots of wild edible berries, grape vines, a full garden, 5-station compost bin, and we have a flock of guineas in our neighborhood that seems to spend a great deal of the day in our yard.

That said, I'm not anti-chemicals.

I tried to find a company that would only treat my yard three times a year and do it with chemicals that are not extremely dangerous to bees and other pollinators. Unfortunately, they all want to do 5-8 applications a year and under contract or charge a big up-charge for less.

We have a combination of fescue and bermuda. I treat my yard myself; pre-emergent & fertilizer now, a broadleaf spot application as necessary, fertilizer late in the season and seed in the fall.

Yard is far from 'perfect', but it still gets complements and is not overrun with weeds. If I remember correctly it was going to run me on average around $900-$1,400/year for treatments alone. I do it myself at the schedule above for about $300-$500.

Key for me was keeping my irrigation working well and trimming up trees etc. to allow more light on the lawn. Get a lawn full of grass and it will mostly take care of itself IMO.

Yards vary from house to house and while some seem to be maintenance free - it's not realistic to endorse a 'no chemical' policy universally.

AP
03-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Don't fall for large commercial plans that say you need 7+ treatments per year. I have a guy who is a solo operation who does half that for cheaper and better results. I am interested in thatching, need to learn myself on that.

Who do you use?

AP
03-01-2017, 08:14 AM

Do you mind sharing what you use?