View Full Version : Restaurant Dilema

okrednk
10-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Okay, I am currently deployed overseas and will be coming back home around March. I am trying to surprise my wife by setting up a day for us to be alone and show her my appreciation for dealing with the kids and day to day stuff for six months. I want to take her to Bricktown and have some things planned but am looking for some advice.

First, I am currently looking at the Courtyard by Marriott the King room with spa for $219 a night. Is this place worth the money or does someone else have any other opinions that might help in my decisions.

Second, I would like to find a romantic restaurant to take her to. I really like Toby's but that is being selfish on my part. Its not really a romantic place to go, more of a fun place. Might stop by and have a few drinks though. Back to topic, we have been to the Mantle, but that is it for Bricktown (Toby's and the Mantle). Can anyone else refer other places and let me know what the food is like, what kind of food, and how the environment is. I would like this place to be a classy place.

Thanks alot and I enjoy yalls posts very much. Keep the topics coming and I will try to drop in from time to time. Thanks again.

karlanee
10-05-2005, 02:36 PM
My husband and I stayed at the Renaissance downtown and it was very nice! We were just in a normal room, but it was huge. You might check that out too. I know they have nice suites and the body products in all the bathrooms are from Bath and Body Works. The bed was comfortable. I believe that the price for a regular room was $149 and it was a Friday night I think - Friday or Saturday. We had the breakfast buffet (the hotel gave us a free coupon when we checked in) and it was quite tasty. Made to order waffles, omelets, a variety of cereals and muffins, not your normal cheap hotel food.

Here is their website:
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=OKCBR

On our date we ate at Mickey Mantle's. Extremely good steak - best I've ever had - but expect to pay for it. It was like $90 for the two of us - luckily we had a gift certificate. The atmosphere is a nice mood in the evenings. It was darkened - you could still see, but it wasn't bright in there. It was fairly quiet. The table setting was very nice. It's more upscale.

And then you might want to take her on a water taxi ride. Here is the website for information and ticket prices:

http://www.watertaxi.com/Oklahoma/OKCHome.Asp

Another option is that there is Harkin Theater if you want to catch a movie, of course there are the clubs as well - CityWalk is fun. Not sure if you're into that or not.

You can also find out what's available now in Bricktown by going to their website:

http://www.bricktownokc.com/

Hope this helps.

floater
10-05-2005, 02:45 PM
The Museum Cafe at the Oklahoma City Museum Art. It offers French and American cuisine. It's romantic at night, removed from the noise of Bricktown. Follow that up with a leisurely and playful stroll through the Myriad Botanical Gardens, and she'll never forget it!!

http://www.okcmoa.com/cafe.htm

metro
10-05-2005, 03:02 PM
I agree, I'd pick the Renaissance or Sheraton over the Courtyard, they are both cheaper for a decent room and the hotel is of higher quality. As far as Bricktown, its overrated but I'd go with Nonna's if you want upscale classy. (cant believe i'm saying that with my experiences). Its definetely one of the nicest in OKC, its a modern Euro-American restaurant. I would go with floaters recommendation of the Museum Cafe just a few blocks away. Its also upscale French American and can still get pricy but the atmosphere is more cosmopolitan. You may also want to try Tom and Jerry's over on 23rd just a few miles away in the Asian District. If you take her out toward the end of next year you can take her to ultra boutique The Colcord hotel when it opens or the swanky Skirvin Hilton

karlanee
10-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Floater,

Great idea - I will have to remember that one and keep in in my file for future use!

Hey, there is also the Rooftop bar in that area too isn't there?

metro
10-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Yes, it is at the museum on the roof, same building though, its only open on Thursday nights

BDP
10-05-2005, 04:08 PM
You may also want to try Tom and Jerry's over on 23rd just a few miles away in the Asian District.

That's a good one. There's Cheever's, too, if you're venturing outside of downtown. Cafe Nova on Western has opened, but I have not been and can not vouch for its romanticism.

Out of all of these, I'd opt for the Museum Cafe, just because you'll be able to walk there.

I, too have stayed at the renaissance. Pretty standard convention/business hotel with good sized rooms. Whatever you do, I would spring for the spa. She'll like that.

okrednk
10-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks yall for your help. If anyone thinks of anything else, please let me know. I will check into these and see what I come up with. Thanks again.

Karried
10-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Check out this site for Downtown.. it lists all of the restaurants and what types of food they serve.
I have heard Nonna's is a good bet for an upscale evening - Nonna's is expensive but this sounds like a special occasion.

http://www.downtownokc.com/Dining/tabid/94/Default.aspx

metro
10-06-2005, 07:48 AM
Nonna's is no more expensive than the museum cafe', they are both white tablecloth upscale and they are both walking distance

escan
10-06-2005, 10:02 AM
While Nonna's is pretty and upscale, the food is pretty stinky. Roccoco on Penn is great, the Mantle or the Museum Cafe would be my pick. Tom and Jerry's is great too, but the atmosphere isn't as good. if you do go to Tom & Jerry's, tell the Manager, Sean that it's your anniv., he'll make it special. I'd steer clear of Nonna's or Mickey Mantle. Just my experience...my husband and I eat out A LOT, usually at pretty nice places, so I've tried 'em all.

I too, would stay at the Renn over the Courtyard....it's just a basic Courtyard, nothing fancy.

The wter taxi is pretty fun now, they even have one where you can have wine and drinks...plus there are carriage rides.

Have fun and good luck!

Doug Loudenback
10-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Of the restaurants mentioned, I personally prefer Nonna's for food, decor, and atmosphere. You might need reservations, though.

HOT ROD
10-06-2005, 11:21 AM
I disagree.

The Courtyard Hotel downtown is arguably the best I've ever stayed in and I've been to many around the nation. It is highly upscale and is the newest of the downtown hotels right now. Just take a look at Tripadvisor.com in the OKC section and you will see it is a highly rated hotel in downtown. The price is worth it!

I also recommend the Sheraton. It may be older but it has been renovated and offers that "Big City" feel to it, unlike Renaissance or New/Hip Courtyard. I've stayed in all three downtown hotels and from an out-of-towner's prospective (Im from Seattle), I'd pick

Sheraton - definitely 4 Star; use for Big City feel and amenities (you pretty much dont need to leave the hotel for anything

Renaissance - 4.5 Star; this is a Hip/New/Convention hotel so the services are standard (a little Convention stuffy feel to it) but the hotel offers some views and amenities the other downtown hotels can't match. The top floor indoor pool is awesome!!! As were the suites up there - but very expensive!!!

Courtyard - 3.5 to 4 Star; depending upon when you arrive/who you ask. This new/hip hotel is consistently rated as OKCs top by most travelers I see/talk to/web sites I see. It has a hip new funky vibe to it that NO OTHER hotel in OKC offers. Plus, it is right in the middle of everything. The rooms were new and fresh with modern decour but the hotel is far from the services offered in the other two Big City downtown hotels. The hotel can be romantic if you want privacy - you will get it!

I can't wait until the other hotels open. Whenever I travel to OKC, I always stay downtown! Regardless of the price, I want to be in the middle of the action, and In OKC - its DOWNTOWN!!!!

Karried
10-06-2005, 11:44 AM
I personally like Mantles - we got a Limosine to the Eagles concert free of charge when we ate there before the concert.

I haven't been to either of these yet but this will give you an idea regarding Nonnas and the Museum Cafe:

Nonna's ( website under construction - no menu but pictures)

http://www.nonnas.com/

Museum Cafe

Dinner

( Prices to the right)

Appetizers

Hickory Smoked Atlantic Salmon - 9
Succulent hickory smoked salmon slices with red onion, capers and fresh lemon, finished off with basil aoli and rye toast

Shrimp Cocktail - 9
Five large gulf shrimp steamed in an aromatic broth and served with a trio of sauces: cocktail sauce, caper remoulade and citrus-dill sauce

Wild Mushroom Dumplings - 8
Three wild mushroom dumplings, poached and served with a tomato-tarragon butter sauce and a mushroom-asparagus timbale

Provencal Goat Cheese Kisses - 7
Creamy goat cheese kisses, wrapped in fillo dough and fresh herbs, served with a balsamic vinegar reduction and seared roma tomatoes

Composed Cheese Plate - 13
Our Executive Chef has selected several delightful imported cheeses to be paired with seasonal condiments. Please ask your server about the availability of the selections. A flight of three cheeses is available for an additional $2.00

Soup

Tuscan Tomato Soup - 5
Tomatoes, leeks and garlic in a clear but rich chicken broth lightly thickened with toasted bread crumbs and finished with a drizzle of the best extra-virgin olive oil

Soup of the Day - 5
Ask your server for today’s selection

Salad

Mixed Green Salad - 5
Mixed greens tossed in white balsamic vinaigrette topped with grape tomatoes, chickpeas, and radishes

Classic Caesar Salad - 6
Made with our egg-less dressing, chopped hearts of romaine, garlic-foccacia croutons and Kalamata olives

Entrée

(All entrees served with seasonal vegetables.)

Pepper Seared Tilapia - 18
Crispy filet of tilapia, seasoned with fresh cracked black pepper, served with whipped potatoes and basil-pinenut butter

Blue Cheese Filet of Beef - 29
7 ounce filet of choice beef tenderloin topped with melted blue cheese, served with bacon roasted fingerling potatoes and Bordelaise sauce

Grilled Atlantic Salmon - 18
With sweet potato hash, fried parsnips, and beurre rouge

Tortellini Primavera - 13
Cheese filled tortellini pasta tossed with olive oil, sautéed garlic, and roasted fall vegetables

Linguini with Shrimp - 17
Linguini pasta with five seared gulf shrimp tossed in a garlic-white wine sauce with sundried tomatoes, roma tomatoes, basil, and Boursin cheese

Grilled Double Bone Pork Rib Chop - 19
Served on a white bean cassoulet with sundried cherry red wine sauce

Seared Bone-Out Ribeye Steak - 26
12 ounce ribeye steak served with bacon roasted fingerling potatoes and horseradish sauce

Vegetarian Entrée Small 14 - Large 19
The Chef’s selection of seasonal vegetables, steamed, grilled and roasted.

Grilled New York Strip - 25
A 12 ounce New York strip steak grilled to perfection and served with bacon roasted fingerling potatoes and roasted garlic sauce

Chicken Cutlet Saltimbocca - 16
Tender chicken cutlet topped with spinach, prosciutto and melted provolone cheese, served with a lemon – sage sauce and fresh capers

(Any side vegetable substitutions or additions will be an additional $1.50)

metro
10-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Like I said, Nonna's is IMO only good for atmospher, not for food. I would go to Tom and Jerry's or Museum for food quality

Patrick
10-06-2005, 09:25 PM
I think with Nona's it depends on when you go and what you order. I went on my honeymoon night back in May and I loved it. We had great service, and the food was superb. Can't beat the grilled salmon.

BDP
10-07-2005, 11:53 AM
think with Nona's it depends on when you go

I think a lot of people also judged it from going in the first few weeks. You can never really judge a restaurant in the first month, imo. Unforatunetly, many don't last long enough to get it right.

metro
10-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Well I eat there (nonna's) regularly as well as others I know and the level of consistancy seems to vary and can never get it consistent. On the other hand, I have never heard of any complaints, even when it was new at the Museum Cafe'. As they say attitude reflects leadership and the leadership is the problem at Nonna's

julieriggs
10-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Hey soldier! Just wanted to suggest you hit the hotel websites or call them directly. We stayed at the Sheraton with the federal government rate at under $100 ... and you can do the same with your military ID. If you have difficulty locating an available government rate on the site, just give them a call. Reservations should be open 24 hours so you don't have to worry about the time of day. Just tell them you want the military/federal government rate.

Karried
10-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Great tip julieriggs, that should save some money...

fromdust
10-08-2005, 04:20 PM
isnt the waterford a really nice hotel? and an upscale restaurant, cant belive noone has mentioned this, niktz. upscale and it spins around to get a great view of the city! imo this is the best.

Patrick
10-10-2005, 02:22 PM
My wife worked in the general offices at Nona's and I think the way the office is run reflects the restaurant. The office was pretty layed back and not very organized. I don't think the owner of Nona's ever wanted to provide fast speedy service.