View Full Version : To 'boo' or not to 'boo' Kevin Durant?

Laramie
02-11-2017, 09:35 AM
Whether at the game or at home (TV or Radio); what will be your plans to welcome Kevin Durant to the Chesapeake Energy Arena?

You have the opportunity to select multiple choices.

gopokes88
02-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Boo.

The time to appreciate is later. The time to boo is now. If him leaving is nothing personal, neither is booing him.

Thomas Vu
02-11-2017, 10:08 AM
I'm interested to see how that pans out, or if OKC even made a tribute video

dcsooner
02-11-2017, 10:49 AM
I think the best response upon KD introduction is Silence. Period

Stew
02-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Stay classy OKC.

king183
02-11-2017, 11:39 AM

I'll be booing. The silence thing only works if everyone is in on it, and that's not happening.

There won't be a tribute video. The Thunder have never done tribute videos and I seriously doubt they will start now for KD.

Ginkasa
02-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Stay classy OKC.

This. I don't disagree that KD's departure was overall pretty low and handled very poorly, but I am pretty against "booing" in general and think in this particular circumstance it will come off as pretty childish overall.

Paseofreak
02-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Stay classy OKC.

+1

Bullbear
02-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Tribute video?.. not likely how disrespectful to the current team to take up time praising someone who made a decision to leave. I'd prefer silence but he will be Booed and I'm ok with it.. get it out of your system and support your CURRENT team.

Laramie
02-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Tribute video?.. not likely how disrespectful to the current team to take up time praising someone who made a decision to leave. I'd prefer silence but he will be Booed and I'm ok with it.. get it out of your system and support your CURRENT team.

Agree, Bullbear! Support our current team. Durant made his decision; therefore it's time to move on.

Stew says it best:
Stay classy OKC.

dankrutka
02-11-2017, 01:40 PM
I'll be there and I'd love to hear a Russ-ell West-brook chant during intros. A cupcake chant would be funny.

Bill Robertson
02-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Neither. This is the world of big time sports. If we (OKC) want to play in the big time we have to understand and accept big time.

Bullbear
02-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Neither. This is the world of big time sports. If we (OKC) want to play in the big time we have to understand and accept big time.

well it's not unique to OKC. any market would do the same I guarantee ya. In Big Time sports fans take things personal and like to let it be known when they disagree.

dankrutka
02-11-2017, 02:12 PM

Have you been to other NBA cities? Booing and taunting is part of the games. The best fan bases are really knowledgeable and try to get under players' skins. For example, numerous fan bases have chanted at KD about Russ and Russ about KD. The latter just happened at Indiana this week. There is, of course, a way to do it that doesn't cross the line, but it's a common part of the game.

Dustin
02-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Stay classy OKC.

No thanks. I appreciate what he has done and continues to do for this city, but the time to boo is now! He's the enemy. It's all fun anyway. He's expecting it.

sbs
02-11-2017, 03:11 PM
I plan to be a follower. Whatever everyone else around me is doing in the arena is what I'll do. I have mixed emotions.

Mike_M
02-11-2017, 04:04 PM
I think Booing is the only logical response. I actually think that total silence at the intros would be the be psychological tactic against KD, but also be pretty much impossible to pull off.

Bill Robertson
02-11-2017, 04:55 PM
Have you been to other NBA cities? Booing and taunting is part of the games. The best fan bases are really knowledgeable and try to get under players' skins. For example, numerous fan bases have chanted at KD about Russ and Russ about KD. The latter just happened at Indiana this week. There is, of course, a way to do it that doesn't cross the line, but it's a common part of the game.
No I haven't. Couldn't give a rats about the NBA until the Thunder. I'm a HUGE guy St. louis Cardinals fan and we get up there as often as we can. Losing Pujols to the Angels a few years ago was a huge and unexpected loss. If he came back to Busch Stadium he'd get an ovation. When past impact players come back to Busch they usually get cheers. Maybe that's why I love baseball more.

Bill Robertson
02-11-2017, 07:58 PM
So, behind 23 points at the half. Has the crowd chanting and waving cupcake signs got into KDs head or slowed the Warriors down a bit. No! It's only embarrassing OKC on national TV. I really don't think pro players are affected too much by crowd hype.

SOONER8693
02-11-2017, 09:23 PM
So, behind 23 points at the half. Has the crowd chanting and waving cupcake signs got into KDs head or slowed the Warriors down a bit. No! It's only embarrassing OKC on national TV. I really don't think pro players are affected too much by crowd hype.
"embarrassing OKC on national TV". What color is the sky in that gumby land you live in?

OKCRT
02-11-2017, 09:43 PM
I thought the crowd was great. They should have boo'd a little louder. Lebron had to go through the same thing when he left Cleveland and now he back there playing. Maybe Durant comes back here later? He was a weak stick for leaving and going to that team. If he would have went to Miami or Boston it would have been bad but not like this. He went to the Thunder's biggest threat. He's a loser for doing that. A weak stick. Also this is not good overall for the NBA. So what GS bought a Championship. Everyone knows who's going to win the championship before the season even started. People are getting tired of watching GS outman all the other teams. They haven't done anything special. They bought a bunch of players. Any team can do that if things pan out.

Mississippi Blues
02-11-2017, 09:45 PM
I'm sure everyone watching the game gasped in horror and disbelief because the people in Oklahoma City boo'd a basketball player. If people didn't have a reason to dislike Oklahoman City before, they sure do now. /s

Bill Robertson
02-11-2017, 09:50 PM
"embarrassing OKC on national TV". What color is the sky in that gumby land you live in?Blue thank you.

Mike_M
02-12-2017, 06:07 AM

I think all the skirmishes prove that it did get in Durant's head a bit. He's the one that started talking to Westbrook and Roberson both times. The fact that the team got it down from almost 30 to a 12 point lead and the crowd staying in the whole game is a sign of a good fanbase in my opinion. If the team and crowd gave up in the 3rd quarter, it would've looked weak.

Not at all condoning the 2 or 3 guys that seemed to be yelling obscenities at KD and Draymond from courtside. But I think the cupcake chants were kinda hilarious. Especially when he was dusting up with Roberson.

Easy180
02-12-2017, 07:42 AM
He left unexpectedly to skip over to a 73 win team that he just choked a 3-1 playoff series to. Gotta boo loudly in that situation.

soonermike81
02-12-2017, 09:08 AM
I think all the skirmishes prove that it did get in Durant's head a bit. He's the one that started talking to Westbrook and Roberson both times. .

I don't know if there's anyway we know for sure who started talking first. But watching on tv, it kind of looked like Russ made a comment first, or at least turned his head toward KD first. And Russ has been my guy for a long time, way before KD left. I can't say, definitively, that KD started that exchange.

Richard at Remax
02-12-2017, 09:11 AM
I didn't boo everytime he touched the ball, but I was pretty active all night when it came to him fouling or running his mouth. Besides game 6 vs SA to go to the finals, that was probably one of the best atmospheres I've been to. I saw it all as good fun. Some people probably took it too far. That was easily the most security Ive seen walking up and down the aisles telling people to chill. I thought the crowd exceeded what I thought it was going to do.

king183
02-12-2017, 10:02 AM
I didn't boo everytime he touched the ball, but I was pretty active all night when it came to him fouling or running his mouth. Besides game 6 vs SA to go to the finals, that was probably one of the best atmospheres I've been to. I saw it all as good fun. Some people probably took it too far. That was easily the most security Ive seen walking up and down the aisles telling people to chill. I thought the crowd exceeded what I thought it was going to do.

Agree. That was the most intense and electric I've seen the crowd in a VERY long time--and maybe takes the #1 spot. Even down 20+, the crowd was into it and ready to explode any time Russ took the court or Durant got the ball. It was insane. Insanely awesome. Good job, OKC.

Laramie
02-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Surprised to see Dre buck up to K.D., it didn't look like he was going to back down.

When they went nose-to-nose, Dre looked as though he was ready to kick some butt. Durant doesn't have that much butt to kick.

Thomas Vu
02-12-2017, 11:03 AM
I thought the Dre KD MU seemed hilarious. Left Roberson open all day at those 3's. I was hoping Roberson would make him pay.

There won't be a tribute video. The Thunder have never done tribute videos and I seriously doubt they will start now for KD.

http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/thunderroad/watch-the-nba-s-tribute-video-to-serge-ibaka/article_57059024-3f13-11e6-8b11-c35c496626d8.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdWY-7PHCVM

dankrutka
02-12-2017, 12:36 PM
No I haven't. Couldn't give a rats about the NBA until the Thunder. I'm a HUGE guy St. louis Cardinals fan and we get up there as often as we can. Losing Pujols to the Angels a few years ago was a huge and unexpected loss. If he came back to Busch Stadium he'd get an ovation. When past impact players come back to Busch they usually get cheers. Maybe that's why I love baseball more.

Wait, are you making the claim that baseball fans don't boo players? That's not true at all. Some Cardinals fans booed Jason Heyward in his return game without near the reasons OKC fans have to boo KD: https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/st-louis-cardinals-chicago-cubs-jason-heyward-fans-return-mlb/amp?client=safari

There are plenty of examples of baseball fans booing.

dankrutka
02-12-2017, 12:37 PM
I thought the crowd did a great job overall. It wasn't just about negatively booing KD, Thunder fans showed a ton of positive love for Russ throughout the game. Despite the loss, the game was intense and lived up to the hype.

BlackmoreRulz
02-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Sign of the night: "We have reservations for Mahogany after the game"

nighttrain12
02-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Sign of the night: "We have reservations for Mahogany after the game"

Though ironically, the restaurant changed their mind and KD dined there. Russell ate there too but in a different portion of the restaurant.

hoya
02-12-2017, 08:22 PM
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/epicrapbattlesofhistory/images/6/6e/Boo_this_man.gif/revision/latest?cb=20160719232917

ljbab728
02-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Though ironically, the restaurant changed their mind and KD dined there. Russell ate there too but in a different portion of the restaurant.

Unless I'm mistaken, the restaurant never said he couldn't eat there. They just declined his request to reserve the entire restaurant.

Thomas Vu
02-12-2017, 11:11 PM
I was really hoping they'd take their business elsewhere. I'm kind of surprised it had to be Mahogany's but maybe it's based on location?

Bill Robertson
02-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Wait, are you making the claim that baseball fans don't boo players? That's not true at all. Some Cardinals fans booed Jason Heyward in his return game without near the reasons OKC fans have to boo KD: https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/st-louis-cardinals-chicago-cubs-jason-heyward-fans-return-mlb/amp?client=safari

There are plenty of examples of baseball fans booing.I would never say as an absolute that it's not done. Of course it is. There are always going to be those that boo whatever they want. That article, and the TV coverage really made that night more than it was. I was at the first Cubs series in St. louis last April and there were a few booers but the vast majority of fans applauded or paid no attention at all. And there are fan bases in baseball that are known for bad treatment of returning former players or pretty much any opposing players. I've never, thank the baseball gods, seen anything like Saturday night here. I might be in the minority but I think is was ridiculous and useless. Just my opinion.

Laramie
02-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Didn't 'boo' Durant because it is beneath what I've tried to teach my children and now grandchildren.

Can't find anyone who will disagree that K. D. didn't have a right to make a decision that he felt was in his best interest. It was how he performed when the Thunder had GSW down 3-1. Sports Animal personality Al Eschbach said it best that OKC would have been in the 2016 finals had Durant not played like crap in those final 3 games.

Posters on our old nemesis the NBA in Seattle Times forum finally got their wish; All eight of the nine remaining posters were happy to hear that K. D. finally jilted OKC. They had long proclaimed that Durant & Westbrook (who never played in Seattle) would leave OKC after the team relocated here; that OKC couldn't attract free agents.

A solid NBA franchise ahead with the prospects of adding Major League Soccer (MLS) post 2020. Yes, the 20's will solidify our Big League City status, for OKC with so many key projects completed or near completion like these new projects:

Streetcar (6.9 miles); more than 2 miles longer than Kansas City's streetcar
Central Downtown Park (70 acres)
New Convention Center and hotels site:

600-room Omni Conference Hotel
100-133 room Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott
Four Wellness Centers
Trails
Sidewalks
American Indian Cultural Center & Museum (AICCM) and a Chickasaw development.

Already completed:

Riversport Rapids
Bennett Event Center @State Fair Park

Downtown will add a new 433 ft., 27 story BOK Park Plaza Tower to our skyline; with the possibility that OG&E will add something of comparable height.

Our City is following a similar path that Charlotte, N.C. enjoyed in the late 90s after acquiring a new NBA arena & franchise and entry into the NFL.

traxx
02-27-2017, 09:44 AM
I ran across this the other day from the Pioneer Woman.

Thunder Fans for Life (http://thepioneerwoman.com/confessions/thunder-fans-for-life/)

Saturday late afternoon, I loaded up the car with Paige, my two boys, their two buddies, and my BFF Hyacinth, and we made the 2-plus hour drive to Oklahoma City to watch the Thunder game. We are big Thunder fans in the Drummond house, and this is actually the one professional sports situation where I would describe myself as a more rabid fan than Marlboro Man and the boys. I love, and I mean L-O-V-E, the Thunder. If there’s a game on TV, I will drop everything and watch it.

When I learned the news a few weeks later that Durant was going to Golden State, I actually dropped to my knees and wailed “Nnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooo!”

http://i.imgur.com/NZmm01h.jpg

Laramie
03-20-2017, 11:02 AM
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/81/815711f0f078a995236092fe977cc868/kevin_durant_has_a_lot_of_tattoos_under_his_jersey .jpg

That's Nasty!

Bellaboo
03-21-2017, 11:11 AM
He was trash talking with people in the crowd last night. If he had half a brain, he'd ignore and continue on to the bench.