View Full Version : Super Bowl 2017: Half time show

bucktalk
02-04-2017, 06:29 PM
Hearing warning of caution with Lady Gaga leading in the half time show. Even though I could care less who performs each year - what does intrigue me is to what degree the NFL has input with the performers. I wonder does the NFL set some sort of boundaries for the performers? Is there even dialog between the NFL and performers?

I find it interesting how some past half time performances appear to be very questionable for family viewing - yet I rarely hear put any responsibility on the NFL.

Guess we'll see how things go tomorrow night.

BlackmoreRulz
02-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Just wish they would keep their politics out of it but I realize that is a feeble hope.

bucktalk
02-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Just wish they would keep their politics out of it but I realize that is a feeble hope.
Agree and agree.

bucktalk
02-05-2017, 07:16 PM
I wasn't able to see the half time show but have read favorable reviews. What did you think?

bradh
02-05-2017, 07:28 PM
It was great, general consensus across multiple groups says the same. Hell Mike Huckabee tweeted it was a great show.

kevinpate
02-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Had a nap.
Hugged grandbabies & watched Paw Patrol shows..
Saw Q4 & OT comeback.
2 outta 3 ain't bad.

dankrutka
02-05-2017, 10:51 PM
I thought it was a good halftime show. The high-flying wire combined with Gaga's hits and some good choreography made for a solid show IMHO.

SoonerDave
02-06-2017, 05:53 AM
Avoided the issue entirely by flipping over to Sundance and catching some Law and Order reruns and flipped back for the 2nd half kickoff. Don't watch the SB for the halftime nonsense, never have. Just like to watch the game.

Amazing comeback by the Pats. Equally amazing choke by the Falcons. How you don't realize the objective is run the clock with a 19-point lead in the 4th quarter is stupefying.

HangryHippo
02-06-2017, 07:20 AM
Amazing comeback by the Pats. Equally amazing choke by the Falcons. How you don't realize the objective is run the clock with a 19-point lead in the 4th quarter is stupefying.

3rd and 1 and they run a long developing pass play and Ryan pulls a Ryan and fumbles and NE recovers. Just an incredibly stupid ass move to call that play.

Pete
02-06-2017, 07:22 AM
Great halftime show!

However, the director really screwed up IMO because it was never completely apparent Lady Gaga was on the roof and when she jumped, the camera angle was so close you didn't get the full effect of that.

HangryHippo
02-06-2017, 07:24 AM
Great halftime show!

However, the director really screwed up IMO because it was never completely apparent Lady Gaga was on the roof and when she jumped, the camera angle was so close you didn't get the full effect of that.

Agreed. When she jumped, my family was like, wait, she's jumping from the roof?

AP
02-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Great halftime show!

Yeah, my wife and I debated during the whole opening whether she was acctually on the roof or not.

Pete
02-06-2017, 07:56 AM
Yeah, my wife and I debated during the whole opening whether she was acctually on the roof or not.

They completely blew the shot sequences.

At some point, they should have pulled back and shown her on the roof, and they should have had a wider angle when she jumped. As it was, they completely lost that effect which was a massive undertaking and could have been pretty cool.

Director absolutely choked because I can guarantee you that was not the proper, rehearsed blocking.

Bullbear
02-06-2017, 09:33 AM
I agree on the missed opportunity. the up close jump paired with the drone lights made you feel like the opening sequence was pre-taped and faked. a wider shot would have gotten a better reaction.
over all a good halftime show. Kudos for her on the live vocals. Not something many try to do for Halftime show with limited set up time and crowd noise ect.

FighttheGoodFight
02-06-2017, 09:35 AM
From what I understand the drone thing was pre-filmed and superimposed not live.

Bullbear
02-06-2017, 09:36 AM
From what I understand the drone thing was pre-filmed and superimposed not live.
would make sense.. it made the whole opening appear pre-filmed

Pete
02-06-2017, 09:43 AM
But still, she obviously jumped from the roof and that was almost completely lost.

Bullbear
02-06-2017, 09:46 AM
I agree Pete. but I even searched online to see if she actually Jumped after the show because the close up made it appear as if it may have been trickery. she did indeed jump but it didn't feel like it because of the close up camera. but that aside.. pretty impressive!.. because she jumped pretty fearlessly.

dankrutka
02-06-2017, 09:53 AM
Kudos for her on the live vocals. Not something many try to do for Halftime show with limited set up time and crowd noise ect.

This was the most impressive part of her performance to me. Most artists can't , or wouldn't even try, to pull off live vocals in a setting like this. Pretty awesome.

Pete
02-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Lady Gaga is incredibly talented, something that often gets lost in all her spectacle.

Richard at Remax
02-06-2017, 10:47 AM
She's coming back to the Peake in December too.

As for the rooftop sequence, it was def shot at another time. http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/06/lady-gaga-super-bowl-halftime-show-jump/

mkjeeves
02-06-2017, 11:20 AM
I thought the disconnect on jumping was because it was prerecorded and it didn't cut together like they thought it would.

The last time I heard "This Land is Your Land" we were singing it at the protest on drilling by Lake Hefner, so as far as being apolitical...neither of these song choices were lost on me.

Some, though, argued Gaga included a veiled message with her song choices. Much has been noted of her set’s inclusion of “Born This Way,” “a melodic celebration of ‘gay, straight, or bi, lesbian, transgender life.’”

Most, though, seem to think that was her only subversive choice on Sunday.

What many of the commentators may have missed, though, was that Gaga’s decision to sing “This Land Is Your Land” may have been an inherently political statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/06/if-you-thought-lady-gagas-halftime-show-was-apolitical-consider-the-origin-of-this-land-is-your-land/?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_this-land-mm-850am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.51ee50f56b2a

Brilliant and classy.

Bullbear
02-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Oh yah.. I picked up on " this land is your land" it's been a protest song forever. Look up the full lyrics and its very clear.
that makes sense on the pre-recorded. It felt pre-recorded but yesterday I wasn't able to find anything on it and hadn't searched today but makes sense.