View Full Version : New Airport Director

TStheThird
10-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Thoughts?

Airport Director Named (http://okcbusiness.com/news/news_view.asp?newsid=5888&catid=10&volid=9&issid=68&PgStartNum=)

metro
10-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Glad that we found a replacement but it sure doesnt give a whole lot of info on what he has done and what he plans to do. I was hoping they would of landed a #2 guy from a really progressive airport

mranderson
10-05-2005, 07:36 AM
I just hope is is not Luther, Jr. Yes. I too was hoping he would be from a major airport. All it said was Riverside County. That does not indicate what airport he managed. However, I did an internet search and the best information I could find apparantly places Palm Springs in Riverside County. If so, we may be in fair shape since that city has explosive growth.

Pete
10-05-2005, 07:38 AM
I am not impressed at all!

'Best of those that applied?' This doesn't sound like we were very agressive in our recruiting process.

Managed a $1 million dollar budget at Riverside, which as far as I know doesn't even have commercial flights? 9 years working for OKC airports prior?

So, he gets a job at least 53 times bigger than his previous job, seems to have no commercial airline experience, and certainly has no broader perspective to bring to the table.

Very, very disappointing.

City names new airport director
by Brian Brus
The Journal Record
10/5/2005

Former Oklahoma City Department of Airports employee Mark Kranenburg is coming back from California to be the city's new director of airports, City Manager Jim Couch said Tuesday.

Kranenburg was named to succeed Luther Trent, who retired in September after 25 years with Oklahoma City. Kranenburg is currently airport director for the city of Riverside, Calif.; he has also been assistant director of the San Bernardino (Calif.) Department of Airports.

Before that, Kranenburg spent nine years in the Oklahoma City Department of Airports, starting as airport operations officer at Will Rogers World Airport in 1993 and leaving as general manager for the Wiley Post and Clarence E. Page airports in 2002.

"Mark has a tremendous history with Oklahoma City. He left us to go out and make his fame in California and we feel very fortunate that he had the desire to come back," said Don Bown, chairman of the Oklahoma City Airports Trust.

"Out of all the applicants Mr. Couch reviewed, he appeared to be the strongest and the best candidate. He understands this organization and has been very active in airport development."

Kranenburg will oversee a $53 million operating budget and about 100 employees from his office at Will Rogers World Airport. As an employee of the city, he will serve as liaison between the city manager and the Oklahoma City Airport Trust. The director of airports manages relations with eight major airlines and numerous smaller regional and charter airlines operating out of the airport's mall-like terminal, through which more than 1.7 million passengers passed last year.

The operations at Riverside are much smaller, with a budget of just over $1 million and a staff of fewer than 10, Riverside Assistant City Manager Michael Beck said. The airport focuses more on corporate aviation traffic than commercial, he said, which requires a smaller staff.

"It is absolutely amazing what Mark has been able to do in just over a year," Beck said, crediting Kranenburg for securing millions of dollars in federal funding for airport projects, attracting commercial investment for a 150-hangar expansion under way and developing a response agreement with emergency services.

"We had a very disconnected airport and Mark did a tremendous job of integrating the airport into the city organizationally, and he moved projects along that had been on the books and had not been progressing," he said. "I always expected he would go on to a larger, commercial airport. I wish we could keep him a little longer."

Kranenburg will step in to his new job as Will Rogers World Airport nears completion of a $110 million expansion and renovation in the works since 2002, including new terminals, parking, security and entry. The new Southwest Airlines ticket counter was scheduled to open Tuesday night, an airport spokeswoman said.

"It's an opportunity to come back and tackle some exciting issues that not only face the airport but the city as well," Kranenburg said. "It's been readily apparent to me as I've traveled back and forth over these last few months what's going on in Oklahoma City - all the MAPS projects have come to fruition; you're getting new industry, like Dell; the airport is tying up its terminal renovation, which puts a new face on operations, the gateway to the city.

"All of these things are gelling to the point that it's going to bust Oklahoma City right open and I'm glad I'll get to play a part in that," he said.

He said one of his goals which he's been working toward in Riverside is the same as what he'll face in Oklahoma City: "Create economic development opportunities at the airport, whether it's for aviation or non-aviation use … to provide more services to the city."

"Oklahoma City is also interested in expanding its market to other locations," he said, which would likely involve focusing efforts on establishing a marketing relationship with a particular city or airline looking to relocate.

Kranenburg said he expects to start working in Oklahoma City in mid-November after he helps his own successor in California pick up certain projects. He grew up in Oklahoma and still has family in the metro area, he said.

Kranenburg's annual salary will be $115,000, a city hall spokeswoman said.

metro
10-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Indeed, Palm Springs is like Wiley Post , a $1 million dollar budget?? A McDonalds franchisee has a budget of that.

mranderson
10-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Indeed, Palm Springs is like Wiley Post , a $1 million dollar budget?? A McDonalds franchisee has a budget of that.

That would be like a burger flipper being promoted to district manager without rising thrrough the ranks.

http://www.palmspringsairport.com/ This will tell you about where he may have been. (not sure, just speculating since it has not been announced)

Pete
10-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Ponca City native appointed to head city airport operations

By John Sutter
The Oklahoman

The Oklahoma City manager on Tuesday appointed the airport director in Riverside, Calif., to head operations at the city's three airports.

Mark Kranenburg, a Ponca City native who worked nine years for Oklahoma City's airport department, will take his position as the city's airport director in early November.

The appointment comes at an exciting and pivotal time for Will Rogers World Airport, officials said, as the airport's $110 million renovation and expansion project is about two-thirds done.

"It is exciting to be coming back when the Will Rogers Airport is enjoying such a successful renovation," Kranenburg said.

But it's no time for complacency, he said.

Kranenburg wants to see businesses rent land on the airport's fringe and hopes to expand airline service to the city. Oklahoma City recently awarded a contract to an air-service consultant, who's doing a marketing study to help bring more air routes to the city, said Karen Carney, the airport's spokeswoman.

Kranenburg also said he'll consider a new airport master plan that accounts for recent airport changes.

Kranenburg has lived in California since 2002, but says he's watched Oklahoma City "explode with development."

"Things are very bright in Oklahoma City from an outside perspective," he said.

As airport director, Kranenburg will take charge of all operations at the city's three airports -- Will Rogers, Wiley Post and the Clarence E. Page Airport. More than 60 people applied for his job, which pays a $115,000 annual salary.

The city manager appoints all but three department heads in Oklahoma City's government, said Karen Farney, the city's spokeswoman.

City Manager Jim Couch said in a statement released Tuesday that Kranenburg's familiarity with Oklahoma City's airport system and vision for the future made him well-suited for the position.

Carney said excitement is high at Will Rogers. She said she worked with Kranenburg for six years in Oklahoma City before and thinks he'll fit in.

"He has an incredible amount of enthusiasm," she said. "He loves aviation, he loves airports -- that's really important for a position like this. I think he'll do a great job."

Kranenburg succeeds Luther Trent, who served as airport director from 1993 to Sept. 15, when he retired to teach. In the interim, Airport Maintenance Manager John Goodwin serves as active director.

Patrick
10-05-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm also disappointed. Sounds to mee like we hired from within....afterall, this guy worked for Will Rogers for years. He's known nothing other than the Luther Trent way of running an airport.

Pete
10-05-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm very suspicious of the 'familiarity with our system' justification.

Seriously, how hard would it be for a new person (presumably intelligent and experienced) to figure things out? I can't believe the operations are that complex or even unique.

Sounds too much like the Old Boys Club that has plagued OKC for decades.

mranderson
10-05-2005, 11:10 AM
I hate the 'familiarity with our system' justification.

Seriously, how hard would it be for a new person (presumably intelligent and experienced) to figure things out? I can't believe the operations are that complex or even unique.

Sounds too much like the Old Boys Club that has plagued OKC for decades.

This is why I wanted an email campaign to Jim Couch. I knew if he was pressured into hiring someone who would bring Will Rogers to the forefront, we would get it. Now we will probably stagnate. Only if I was on the council and we had hiring authority for the director. Maybe a charter change when I go on it.

metro
10-05-2005, 12:05 PM
"He loves aviation, he loves airports -- that's really important for a position like this.

I guess this means, mranderson, I and everyone else on here who loves aviation and airports is qualified to be the Director. I agree this was a weak call

mranderson
10-05-2005, 12:11 PM
I guess this means, mranderson, I and everyone else on here who loves aviation and airports is qualified to be the Director. I agree this was a weak call

I wish I would have known this was the only requirement, I would have applied, then went full force with expansion and hub status.

jbrown84
10-05-2005, 04:57 PM
All it said was Riverside County. That does not indicate what airport he managed. However, I did an internet search and the best information I could find apparantly places Palm Springs in Riverside County. If so, we may be in fair shape since that city has explosive growth.

It's not Riverside County or Palm Springs. It is the city of Riverside, a suburb of L.A.

mranderson
10-05-2005, 05:04 PM
It's not Riverside County or Palm Springs. It is the city of Riverside, a suburb of L.A.

I am very fimiliar with the area, however, the article said Rivrside County, which the city of Riverside is in.

floater
10-05-2005, 08:22 PM
"Kranny, you're doing a heck of a job!"

Pete
10-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Having expressed my concerns, I will also say I hope Mr. Kranenburg does a fanstastic job.

I think we all realize the incredible potential of WRWA and I hope it starts to be realized in the near future.

jbrown84
10-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Sounds like he might have some decent ideas.

metro
10-06-2005, 08:00 AM
I agree, we haven't given him a chance yet, the thing is we only get one chance to do the right thing at this point in time. I'm disappointed we couldnt find someone of more experience at a major airport. The "ideas" he was quoted in interviews are the exact same "ideas" that were in the job description of what we were asking for in the next director. I dont think they are by any means, new or original

HOT ROD
10-06-2005, 11:56 AM
"hopes to expand Service in the City"???

this does not sound like a top knotch guy. It looks like Couch did not do a good enough job. We should have gotten a #2 from DIA or ORD - an established big city airport with clout and experience building an airport!!! not some Okie coming home to strike it rich.

It looks like a repeat of the good ole boy network to me.

mranderson
10-06-2005, 11:59 AM
"hopes to expand Service in the City"???

this does not sound like a top knotch guy. It looks like Couch did not do a good enough job. We should have gotten a #2 from DIA or ORD - an established big city airport with clout and experience building an airport!!! not some Okie coming home to strike it rich.

It looks like a repeat of the good ole boy network to me.

...And if we are correct in our thinking, the first thing I will do as a City Council member is ask for his resignation or termination. Plus start the work on a city charter change to allow the city council to hire department directors.