View Full Version : House Sitting

ShadowStrings
01-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Does anyone have any advice for how to find people to house-sit for? I am looking to line up a few gigs for this spring/summer but don't have a lot of connections here. Obviously, people prefer to have people they know look after their house while they are out of town instead of a stranger. :) I am a young professional and have a good full-time job, but I am trying to make some extra money on the side so I can pay off my debt and save up for a down payment for a house of my own. Any advice is appreciated, and if you or someone you know might be interested, feel free to send me a direct message. Thanks in advance!

BBatesokc
01-16-2017, 04:53 AM
Depending on your current housing situation, I know several people around me seek out house sitters and advertise their availability to house sit on the app NextDoor. You tend to be speaking with people in your immediate area and their is a comfort level when doing so. This also applies in my area to dog walkers, pet sitters, errand runners, help assembling or moving something, etc.

You can try Craigslist, but that's a mine field in itself.

If you do social media, I'd definitely make it known on your Facebook page etc. These are people who already know you and would feel comfortable with you house sitting for them.

As for other ways to make a little cash.... Craigslist is a good source for quick cash gigs. People will post looking for someone to help them move across town, extra set of hands to put up a fence, short term contract gigs, etc.

There also Uber if you have a qualifying car. Doesn't pay well, but its on your own time and the potential to make some money is there.