View Full Version : Ringling Brother's Circus Closing

ljbab728
01-14-2017, 11:30 PM
I serious can't remember the last time I went but this seems a bit sad anyway.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5534408

After 146 years, the curtain is coming down on "The Greatest Show on Earth." The owner of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus told The Associated Press that the show will close forever in May.
The iconic American spectacle was felled by a variety of factors, company executives say. Declining attendance combined with high operating costs, along with changing public tastes and prolonged battles with animal rights groups all contributed to its demise.

It's sort of like Vaudeville. Some forms of entertainment get passed by and disappear.

tfvc.org
01-15-2017, 02:30 PM
I think that if they would have just taken out the animal abuse, and focused on human performances they could have kept it going. There are other circuses that did the same.

SoonerDave
01-16-2017, 07:28 AM
I serious can't remember the last time I went but this seems a bit sad anyway.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5534408

It's sort of like Vaudeville. Some forms of entertainment get passed by and disappear.

Same here. I think I went to maybe one circus when I was a little kid, over at the State Fairgrounds, but much beyond that it wasn't something that appealed to me. But its still kinda sad. Lots of people found jobs there that will have a really difficult time folding back into a more conventional economy.

Bullbear
01-17-2017, 10:01 AM
I think that if they would have just taken out the animal abuse, and focused on human performances they could have kept it going. There are other circuses that did the same.

Totally agreed. they could have adapted and moved to different types of acts.

jn1780
01-17-2017, 10:14 AM
Totally agreed. they could have adapted and moved to different types of acts.

I think the problem is that there are a lot of different shows out there with different types of acts(many ran by Ringling Brothers parent company). It was hard for Ringling Brothers to get away from its history.

It has been the same acts for over 50 years while you have Cirque du Soleil doing more modern acts. You also have the core base more interested in anything Disney or Marvel related.

Jeepnokc
01-17-2017, 06:08 PM
I think the problem is that there are a lot of different shows out there with different types of acts(many ran by Ringling Brothers parent company). It was hard for Ringling Brothers to get away from its history.

It has been the same acts for over 50 years while you have Cirque du Soleil doing more modern acts. You also have the core base more interested in anything Disney or Marvel related.

The parent company owns/operates Disney on ice and marvel as well as a few other shows...

"Feld Entertainment’s portfolio includes Marvel Universe LIVE!, Monster Jam, Monster Energy Supercross and Disney On Ice, among others. The company recently announced a new partnership to produce live tours of Sesame Street and expanded television coverage for the 2017 Monster Energy Supercross races." https://www.ringling.com/ringling-bros-final-performances/