View Full Version : In contrast look at Downtown OKC's revamped website

floater
10-04-2005, 03:08 PM
at http://www.downtownokc.com/. It's crisper with better visuals and additional information. There are some omissions, unlinked places, and mistakes (which I know we'll have no problem conveying to the DOKC staff -- they seem much more receptive to comments), but on the whole vastly improved from the last design. Just in time for the Hornets season.

Steve
10-04-2005, 04:37 PM
My name is Steve Lackmeyer, and I am a reporter with The Oklahoman, and I will be writing a story about this new web site on Wednesday. As part of the story, I would like to get comments about the site from people who discuss the city on the web. If you are interested in participating in my story, please contact me at my email at the Oklahoman, slackmeyer@oklahoman.com.
I will need full names for the story.
Thanks, Steve Lackmeyer, The Oklahoman

Karried
10-04-2005, 07:24 PM
I love this newly designed website. Easy to navigate, offering much more detail and information.

Nicely done!

jbrown84
10-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Yeah major improvement. Not that the old one was anywhere near as bad as the okccvb site. The CVB needs to hire the guy that did that site for theirs.

Pete
10-04-2005, 08:27 PM
I was just going to post about this site earlier today.

Not only is the site good, Kim Searls does a great job on the quarterly Skyline Snapshot. It's the best single place to keep up with everything under development downtown.

WRWA and Karen Carney should take notice!

Keith
10-04-2005, 08:32 PM
I agree...the site looks excellent. It is so much easier to find what you are looking for. May I suggest to those that have replied to this thread, to contact Steve Lackmeyer, with the Oklahoman, and tell him what you think about the new site. Since he is doing a story about it tomorrow, he can sure use your input. I have already e-mailed him. Contact him at slackmeyer@oklahoman.com.

metro
10-05-2005, 07:19 AM
Steve, I appreciate your enthusiasm. The website however is not new by any means, it has been around for at least well more than a year

Karried
10-05-2005, 07:24 AM
I think he meant the newly designed website... the changes are really nice. I like the layout and the information is really extensive regarding upcoming events.

metro
10-05-2005, 07:25 AM
I wasnt sure, he only had 2 posts so it is new to him, also the Oklahoman tends to be slow on certain trends, etc.

Patrick
10-05-2005, 10:54 AM
What does 2 posts have to do with anything? Steve Lackmeyer has been covering city hallf or years now, and we've known him for probably 7 or 8 years. He's a big supporter of this site and we're happy to have him. He's a huge asset.

ksearls
10-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the nice words regarding the new site, I appreciate any feedback. Just so you know, not every server is displaying the new site yet (something techie about web ip population). I get it at home on Cox but still not at work on SBC. If you can't view it yet, it should be there soon. Also, still working on entering all of the calendar info. Hope you like it, Phase 2 was great to work with.

Patrick
10-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Wow Kim. I'm really impressed with your site. I just took a look at the new site for the first time. I'd have to say that's the most complete, comprehensive downtown site we've ever had for downtown OKC! I mean, really, did you guys forget anything? :) LOL
I like the way it's very complete. For example, instead of simply listing all of the downtown restaurants, you actually provide complete descriptions about their food offerings and atmosphere. The pictures in the gallery and on top of every page are impressive.

I think we need to scrap the CVB website, and just link it up to your site! :)

Great work guys!

jbrown84
10-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Metro, I think you are confused. The article for the Oklahoman is about the newly redesigned downtownokc.com, not about OKCtalk.

metro
10-06-2005, 07:41 AM
I'm not confused, it didnt state anything about downtownokc.com, it stated this site, thus I took it as this site (OKCtalk.com) anyhow, here is an article from today:

Downtown Web site redesigned

Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. unveiled a redesigned Web site Wednesday that includes electronic post cards, interactive maps and real estate listings.
The site at www.downtownokc.com was redesigned by Phase 2 Development for $35,000 paid by the downtown business improvement district.

The interactive map allows visitors downtown to find restaurants, shops, hotels and attractions, along with directions, nearby parking, and links to related Web sites.

The old site registered 128,568 visitors over the past year.

President Dave Lopez said, "It's a key link" for visitors learning what the city offers.

From Staff Reports

HOT ROD
10-06-2005, 11:43 AM
I also like how the site (DOKC) lists ALL establishments, regardless if they "paid" into the association. I hate how bricktown.com does this - only listing members of the BA.

There needs to be a complete list of what to do in downtown not hey - here are my buddies - this is downtown, come shop/eat/drink/dance/patronize here; while omitting other nice establishments. These people dont realize that all of downtown benefits and should be included, not just "members of the club."

Now, DOKC has filled this void. I hope that the DOKC web site appears first in any web searches for Oklahoma City! I commend DOKC on their continued leadership in the Oklahoma City Renaissance effort!

Continue the Renaissance!

Patrick
10-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Steve said they ended up not having enough space for our comments, but he may include them in another article later. Thanks Steve for considering us.