View Full Version : Evacuation at Penn Square tonight???

SoonerDave
01-06-2017, 08:44 PM
Seeing a few different Facebook posts about an evacuation at Penn Square tonight (Friday, 6 Jan). Nothing on local media. Anyone heard/know anything?

OKCbyTRANSFER
01-07-2017, 04:12 PM
A few friends were there for a movie, were by the Starbucks, when the sirens went off. They were directed to shelter in place, inside the (now locked) coffee shop only to hear later it was a false fire alarm. They were concerned about being inside a locked store during a "possible fire". Of course I was not there myself, only stating what I had heard.

SoonerDave
01-07-2017, 08:57 PM
A few friends were there for a movie, were by the Starbucks, when the sirens went off. They were directed to shelter in place, inside the (now locked) coffee shop only to hear later it was a false fire alarm. They were concerned about being inside a locked store during a "possible fire". Of course I was not there myself, only stating what I had heard.

False alarm was what I had heard as well, but I had *not* heard about the "shelter in place" aspect. Saw some FB posts that indicated people were running to the parking lot, some were in the theater....

bombermwc
01-09-2017, 07:35 AM
Well unless the alarm can say different things depending on the alert, then the same fire alarm goes off for a fire or possible terrorist issue. I would guess that if they suggested "shelter in place", it was not a suspected fire, rather some other disturbance that they thought it was better to have people run into the closest store and lock the door than flee in a crazy flood. For example, if there was an active shooter, i think hiding out in the nearest shelter is probably better than offering a flood of victims since you can't direct them away from a specific area during a shooter event.