View Full Version : Most Unique City in North America?

Plutonic Panda
12-22-2016, 02:45 PM
My picks would be as followed but not in order

*Mexico City
*New Orleans
*Washington D.C
*Montreal
*Boston
*NYC
*Juneau, AK
*St-Pierre et Miquelon
*Florida Keys
*Eureka Springs, AR
*Coeur D'alene, ID
*Las Vegas
*San Francisco

I'll add some more. Those are just a few that spring to mind.

Pete
12-22-2016, 03:09 PM
San Francisco would get my vote.

Seattle certainly deserves a mention as does Vancouver.

Why do you list Coeur d'Alene?

TexanOkie
12-22-2016, 03:41 PM
San Francisco and New Orleans. The others are also unique, but the question was "most unique."

Also, I would put Quebec City in place of Montreal (nothing against Montreal, but it reminded me of francophone Boston--which is a compliment, to be sure).

LocoAko
12-22-2016, 04:04 PM
I agree with San Francisco and particularly New Orleans, but Santa Fe is pretty unique too, I think.

Plutonic Panda
12-22-2016, 04:17 PM
Why do you list Coeur d'Alene?It has a surreal feeling to me. Very nice downtown and a really nice resort setting with a good mix of being a small town that offers the best of both worlds and I haven't found that too much.

Not comparing the two, but Las Vegas also has a surreal feeling to me. You can be driving around or going to amazing restaurants and you're the only person there yet these places have been open forever. It's like economics doesn't apply to some of the places there unless they're a front.

Plutonic Panda
12-22-2016, 04:20 PM
I wonder if Chattanooga or Savannah would be good contenders?

I will also throw in Branson.

stick47
12-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Stopped in Boulder CO to visit friends on my way home from the service in 1970. I thought I heard a pin drop at the far end of Baseline Drive it was so quiet there. Besides that it was also a pretty neat town! SF was OK esp the Market street bars. (Navy) San Diego had more attractions that interested me.

Spartan
12-22-2016, 07:03 PM
There can be a lot of definitions of unique, especially relative to the outside world as opposed to ourselves.

Maybe a few thematic tiers:

1. If unique means our continent's most important cities - New York City (a), followed by DC (b)
2. If unique means our continent's best stereotypical city - Chicago (a)
3. If unique means our continent's most "international," globally-minded cities - Toronto (a) and San Francisco (b)
4. If unique means our continent's media/entertainment hub - Los Angeles (a)
5. If unique means cities that are hubs for certain things: Mexico City (a), Montreal (b), Dallas (c), Houston (d) Vancouver (e), Las Vegas (f), Atlanta (g), Seattle (g)
6. If unique means our continent's most historic cities - Philadelphia (a), New Orleans (b), Boston (c), Ottawa (d), Charleston (e), Savannah (f)

Let's hope I know the alphabet.

ljbab728
12-22-2016, 08:28 PM
Plupan, I assume you meant Key West in your list since Florida Keys is not a city.

bradh
12-22-2016, 08:58 PM
I gotta say Vegas, no other place like it

Plutonic Panda
12-22-2016, 09:11 PM
Plupan, I assume you meant Key West in your list since Florida Keys is not a city.

Yes thank you. I Haven't been to Key West, but it looks different.

Mississippi Blues
12-22-2016, 09:29 PM
San Francisco. I'm there a lot, but it's a truly amazing place in my eyes.

Plutonic Panda
12-22-2016, 11:14 PM
I'm there all the time man! Next time you're there hit me up if you wanna grab a drink. I love San Fran so much.

Celebrator
12-22-2016, 11:53 PM
I have to give a vote to Vegas, too. Unique is just the right word for that town. Was there for the first time ever last weekend. Probably my last time.

ljbab728
12-22-2016, 11:57 PM
Yes thank you. I Haven't been to Key West, but it looks different.
I have been there and it's very interesting but I have to go with most people who pick San Fran.

Bellaboo
12-23-2016, 07:09 AM
I like Key West. A lot going on, most southern point of the USA, Hemmingway, The Gold of the Atochia (SP), 1800's Presidential retreat, Jimmy Buffett's Marguaritiville and Sloppy Joes, just to name a few. Plus all that BS at sundown on the dock (Dominique and the Flying House Cats for one).

Pete
12-23-2016, 07:35 AM
The Strip in Vegas is unique but that is a small part of that city and the rest is completely ordinary and even boring.

traxx
12-23-2016, 08:38 AM
I looked up Coeur d'Alene on Google Maps. It looks like a lovely town but I'm failing to see what makes it one of the most unique cities on the continent.

ctchandler
12-23-2016, 09:43 AM
I like Key West. A lot going on, most southern point of the USA, Hemmingway, The Gold of the Atochia (SP), 1800's Presidential retreat, Jimmy Buffett's Marguaritiville and Sloppy Joes, just to name a few. Plus all that BS at sundown on the dock (Dominique and the Flying House Cats for one).

Bellaboo,
Don't forget Truman's "Little White House". I agree with you, it's a neat place. There is a lot going on at sundown that I could do with out, but the view (sunset) makes it all worthwhile. I have always enjoyed St. Augustine, Fl. and I visited Savannah, Ga. on one of my last trips and I would go back in a heartbeat if my health would allow it.
C. T.

Pete
12-23-2016, 09:46 AM
I looked up Coeur d'Alene on Google Maps. It looks like a lovely town but I'm failing to see what makes it one of the most unique cities on the continent.

That's why I asked the question.

I've spent a bunch of time up there and love the place but would not classify it as unique.

Bellaboo
12-23-2016, 11:50 AM
Bellaboo,
Don't forget Truman's "Little White House". I agree with you, it's a neat place. There is a lot going on at sundown that I could do with out, but the view (sunset) makes it all worthwhile. I have always enjoyed St. Augustine, Fl. and I visited Savannah, Ga. on one of my last trips and I would go back in a heartbeat if my health would allow it.
C. T.

Hey CT,
I've only been a couple of times to Key West over the years, but I found it quite an interesting place, from the old time street bums selling themselves for photos and the free range chickens all over the place.
Very different place.
Hope you're maintaining your health.....

Plutonic Panda
12-23-2016, 02:01 PM
That's why I asked the question.

I've spent a bunch of time up there and love the place but would not classify it as unique.maybe I haven't explored enough small towns yet. I am going NYC in July and will be driving there but I'll be exploring a bunch of different small towns and cities on the way. I'm still trying to decide on my route.

tfvc.org
12-23-2016, 02:11 PM
I love St Augustine. If you like Key West, you will like Ybor as well. (Just East of Tampa) and close enough to the beaches of St Petersburg for an unobstructive view of the sunset, cool shops and restaurants including a really good Spanish one (The Columbia) in a historic building, cigar wrapping, and wild chickens and roosters. I thought that I would love Key West for the sunrises and sunsets, but the way the key is situated it is hard to get a good sunrise/sunset and the popular place for the sunset has that island in the way.

Mississippi Blues
12-23-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm there all the time man! Next time you're there hit me up if you wanna grab a drink. I love San Fran so much.

Sounds like a plan to me, bro.

Celebrator
12-23-2016, 09:57 PM
I love St Augustine. If you like Key West, you will like Ybor as well. (Just East of Tampa) and close enough to the beaches of St Petersburg for an unobstructive view of the sunset, cool shops and restaurants including a really good Spanish one (The Columbia) in a historic building, cigar wrapping, and wild chickens and roosters. I thought that I would love Key West for the sunrises and sunsets, but the way the key is situated it is hard to get a good sunrise/sunset and the popular place for the sunset has that island in the way.

Columbia is my favorite restaurant in Florida--had one in my town when we lived there. The original one in Ybor is awesome for its atmosphere and history, but it is a central Florida mini-chain and the food is delicious and unique. Always hit that place up when I go back down for visits.

tfvc.org
12-23-2016, 10:12 PM
Columbia is my favorite restaurant in Florida--had one in my town when we lived there. The original one in Ybor is awesome for its atmosphere and history, but it is a central Florida mini-chain and the food is delicious and unique. Always hit that place up when I go back down for visits.

I used to always go to the one at The Pier in St Pete. I loved their eggplant.