View Full Version : Need someone familiar with old houses - recommendations?

TheTravellers
12-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Well, after the chimney sweep did his thing, found out we have brick on top of the chimney that's spalling (house is entirely brick and painted, and yes, I know the horrors of painting brick, but it was painted when we bought it, most likely 9 years ago when they did all the other renovations), so now we need a good stonemason/bricklayer (or whatever they're called nowadays :) ).

Also, I'd like to find someone that has worked on older houses (1950 is when ours was built) extensively, since we have quite a few things that we need investigated/fixed and don't want just some regular handyman to come in and just fix it the cheapest/easiest way (that works in a lot of instances, but sometimes not). Windows are one example - we have the original windows and one of them has a crack in it, so needs replacing, others are ungodly drafty (almost windy) and we'd like to get those sealed, but not just cram a bunch of caulking in it, be nice to have it done the original way (or a better way, but still fitting the way it was done on the house originally).

Any recommendations appreciated, thanks much!

Boroxy
01-06-2017, 01:24 PM
I used Fox Brick and Stone to repair the fake fireplace on the front of my 1937 house. Great work but they don't take credit cards.