View Full Version : Wavy lines painted on roads

ChrisHayes
12-20-2016, 04:28 AM
I'm not from OKC originally, so I was wondering what the wavy lines that are painted on the roads in some locations throughout the city mean. There's typically 2 or 3 of them.

stile99
12-20-2016, 06:19 AM
Without seeing exactly what you mean, I can think of two examples. One indicates a school zone within 100 feet, the other I believe (but am not certain enough to bet the rent on it) that it indicates 'slippery when wet'. Those signs tend to get stolen, or at least they did for a certain period of time. Don't know if people would still steal them today.

Ross MacLochness
12-20-2016, 08:22 AM
I'm not from OKC originally, so I was wondering what the wavy lines that are painted on the roads in some locations throughout the city mean. There's typically 2 or 3 of them.

Dude, I host travelers all the time and each person asks the same question. My answer is always: "I have no fkn Idea..."

Roger S
12-20-2016, 08:30 AM
It's signalling an upcoming school zone.

The wavy lines represent the maneuvers you may need to make to dodge the children as you speed through the zone.

Jim Kyle
12-20-2016, 10:06 AM
It's signalling an upcoming school zone.

The wavy lines represent the maneuvers you may need to make to dodge the children as you speed through the zone.Actually, they began when most all cars had shiny chromed bumpers on the back that reflected the road surface to following drivers. When one sped over the wavy section, the reflection became a waving white flag guaranteed to draw attention.

Now that most vehicles have non-reflective plastic, the waviness only serves to remind us how unsmooth the surface is in most places.

Teo9969
12-20-2016, 12:48 PM
:lol2:

This thread is turning out better than expected

:lol2:

Ross MacLochness
12-20-2016, 12:56 PM
I also use them as skateboard slalom courses.

turnpup
12-20-2016, 05:25 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one who has wondered what those are for!

rezman
12-21-2016, 09:13 AM
They're fun to try to stay on when your on a motorcycle. Especially when you have a passenger. Just make sure to tell them to hang on.