View Full Version : Joe Mixon video

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bucktalk
12-17-2016, 09:39 AM
When I learned of a video of Joe Mixon being violent to a woman, yet the video wasn't released, I knew it must be bad. Once I saw the video it made me very concerned. It's sad because how prevalent violence is for women. But it's also sad due to the image it gives for OU and the state of Oklahoma.

Sad for everyone.

BBatesokc
12-17-2016, 01:14 PM
I may be more shocked by all the Joe Mixon apologists I see online.

kevinpate
12-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Not the first sports figure to get a pass from John and Jane Public, and he won't be the last.
From junior high, if not before, and going forward, if someone is deemed a star, then the bright light of the star tends to blind folks to the non star aspects of his/her life.

Edgar
12-17-2016, 02:18 PM
Boren needs to be forced out over this. This horrible episode, the Nazi painting, appointing an unqualified band director to please a donor, he's obviously lost his moral compass.

dankrutka
12-17-2016, 03:06 PM
I may be more shocked by all the Joe Mixon apologists I see online.

It's astounding and sad.

SOONER8693
12-17-2016, 04:04 PM
The OU haters are out in full force. OU hater = severe case of ***** envy. Sorry for the shortcomings of you all.

bucktalk
12-17-2016, 04:44 PM
Unreal. We're discussing a real problem with violence against women and you're turning it into "OU haters"? Unreal. Sooner fans I know have far more depth and empathy than this. Thankfully.

The OU haters are out in full force. OU hater = severe case of ***** envy. Sorry for the shortcomings of you all.

Sancho
12-17-2016, 04:45 PM
When I learned of a video of Joe Mixon being violent to a woman, yet the video wasn't released, I knew it must be bad. Once I saw the video it made me very concerned. It's sad because how prevalent violence is for women. But it's also sad due to the image it gives for OU and the state of Oklahoma.

Sad for everyone.

"prevalent" ? If it were prevalent this wouldnt be news, would it?

dankrutka
12-17-2016, 04:48 PM

Really? If "OU haters" means taking a stand against violence against women then call this 3-time alumnus an OU hater.

Brenda Tracy's response is worth reading. She is offering her services to Stoops and co to make change and take a lead on this issue. I really hope they take her up on her offer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stoops-mixon-an-opportunity-for-change_us_5855a762e4b0d5f48e16502f?ncid=engmodushp mg00000004

Teo9969
12-17-2016, 04:59 PM
Really? If "OU haters" means taking a stand against violence against women then call this 3-time alumnus an OU hater.

Brenda Tracy's response is worth reading. She is offering her services to Stoops and co to make change and take a lead on this issue. I really hope they take her up on her offer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stoops-mixon-an-opportunity-for-change_us_5855a762e4b0d5f48e16502f?ncid=engmodushp mg00000004

"She is an innocent victim"

Okay.

dankrutka
12-17-2016, 05:57 PM
"She is an innocent victim"

Okay.

Is that all you took from the entire article? Brenda Tracy is a survivor of being gang raped by college athletes and the courage she's shown to be an activist on this issue is courageous. I really respect her ability to talk on these issues.

And when it comes to the Mixon exhange, everything that happens before the punch is pretty meaningless to me. Because if Mixon doesn't punch her then absolutely nothing would have come of this. The punch is really all that matters. And, please, don't pretend like a 230 lb running back was physically threatened in any way by her. I have also seen male friends slapped by women before and not one of them ever even considered retaliating physically. Disproportionate strength matters. In the end, Molitor was the victim of Mixon's incredibly violent punch. Before that moment, it was a silly college argument.

Teo9969
12-17-2016, 06:20 PM
No doubt she was a victim.

Having a faulty understanding of the word innocence is the non-starter for me.

Easy180
12-17-2016, 06:25 PM
I wasn't really surprised by the video since we already knew the severity of her injuries.

gopokes88
12-17-2016, 07:21 PM
Good thing they threw SAE off campus though

dankrutka
12-17-2016, 08:34 PM
Good thing they threw SAE off campus though

Two wrongs don't make a right. OU got it right 1/2 by throwing SAE off campus.

kwhey
12-18-2016, 12:18 AM

Go drink some bleach please.

Edgar
12-18-2016, 12:50 AM
Sae video would hurt recruiting and affects donations to OU if the team wasn't very good. Having Mixon's back helps Stoops' and Boren's cause

mugofbeer
12-18-2016, 12:57 AM
All of you seem to forget Joe Mixon was there either on or a day after his 18th birthday. He's 1000 miles from home in a strange place and likely knows no one. I dont know his background but it may be one of some level of violence. Just because he is 230 lbs., doesnt mean he was mentally an adult and able to process whatever verbal heapage she was putting out. I'm not supporting his actions but give the guy a break. She apparently baited him tbrough her alcohol driven ra ting. She's going to get plenty of his NFL money. Except for the tornup parking ticket he's been pretty much a model student-athlete.

Edgar
12-18-2016, 01:04 AM
I've been a Sooner fan since Jack Mildren & Greg Pruitt "71. Mixon has anger management issues and should have been kicked out of town. Boren, Stoops, Joe C, someone's head need to roll so I can love my team again.

dankrutka
12-18-2016, 01:25 AM
All of you seem to forget Joe Mixon was there either on or a day after his 18th birthday. He's 1000 miles from home in a strange place and likely knows no one. I dont know his background but it may be one of some level of violence. Just because he is 230 lbs., doesnt mean he was mentally an adult and able to process whatever verbal heapage she was putting out. I'm not supporting his actions but give the guy a break. She apparently baited him tbrough her alcohol driven ra ting. She's going to get plenty of his NFL money. Except for the tornup parking ticket he's been pretty much a model student-athlete.

I'm not saying Mixon shouldn't get a second chance in life, but it just shouldn't have been on the OU football team. Again, being a football player is a privilege and abuse against women is a serious social and football program. Taking a stand against that violence is the stand worth taking. I don't know Mixon well enough to judge his character, but his specific actions in that case require a ceratin type of response that ensures women on OU's campus -- we will not tolerate your abuse on this here.

Anonymous.
12-18-2016, 02:19 AM

Have you never been to a college bar scene or something? These little pity confrontations, especially verbal, happen hundreds of times on any given night. Not many of them result in a blindsided full body force punch to the face that requires surgery afterwards.

BBatesokc
12-18-2016, 08:06 AM
I love it, "other than knocking a woman to the ground and breaking four bones in her face, Mixon has been a model OU student!"

Even if I give in and say, "Okay, Mixon is just a very young and immature punk who over reacted" he continues to maintain his innocence. Sure, he apologized (big woop), but he legally has maintained his innocence.

He never should have been allowed to give any plea other than guilty. Give him a deferred, IF, the victim agrees.

Lucky for Mixon he attends a college that only tosses you out for your words and inappropriate costumes and not your violent and deadly actions.

Like I said before, I think I'm more disgusted with a measurable number of the population who are of the opinion "she got what she deserved."

I guess for some people violence is second nature. They live in homes where dad pushes mom around and sons are told "boy, if someone touches you, it's game on. I don't care if it is a girl and you can walk away, you've got every right to beat her ass."

In a world of broken homes, broken marriages and the 'normalcy' of 911 domestic calls and abuse within relationships, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.

Mixon got a pass. He learned his value on the field is worth more than his value as a human being. He'll do it again.

Sancho
12-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Neo-feminists want to cry their crocodile tears over this while dancing around the elephant in the room.

mkjeeves
12-18-2016, 09:45 AM
They probably both should have gone to jail, her for assault and battery, him for something like unreasonable use of force.

Bunty
12-18-2016, 09:54 AM
It's astounding and sad.

I thought it was sad when I was in a bar in Perry Friday evening and heard a woman say she deserved the punch, because she started it. I hope Mixon wishes he backed off from her and walked away. Since, unlike her, he easily walked away, I don't think she deserved as much as she got.

OKCRT
12-18-2016, 10:51 AM
They probably both should have gone to jail, her for assault and battery, him for something like unreasonable use of force.

Yes Mixon took it to another level. But Stoops should have kicked him off the team. Stoops is the one I would be taking a a hard look at. I assume he thinks he can do just about anything he wants to do and will have the backing from everyone from Boren to the DAs office.

mkjeeves
12-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Yes Mixon took it to another level. But Stoops should have kicked him off the team. Stoops is the one I would be taking a a hard look at. I assume he thinks he can do just about anything he wants to do and will have the backing from everyone from Boren to the DAs office.

Probably should have kicked him off the team and expelled her too.

soonermike81
12-18-2016, 11:12 AM
So, I've been reading so much anger and hate from both sides now, and I thought I'd chime in. A few questions I ask myself when looking in from the outside. First off, was he wrong for punching a woman? Absolutely. Was his punishment just? Probably not. What should his punishment have been or be going forward? I don't know; I'm neither a judge or jury. Was Molitor 100% the victim in this case and not at fault whatsoever? No. Did she deserve it? If allegations of her spitting on him and calling him the N-word are true, then from my perspective, I can't judge him.

Now, I know my last two answers will be met with a ton of opposition. But I promise you that I am looking at this without my crimson colored glasses on. How can we sit here and pretend to know what it feels like to be a black kid growing up in a world full or racism? Well, I can offer my perspective from a non-white male who experienced a lot of racism growing up. I grew up in Oklahoma and was taught two things from my older brother. Don't let anyone call you racist names and stand up for yourself. There was so much hate in the town where I grew up. There was so many encounters I had with racism, and it's really difficult to describe in words the emotion/anger that was triggered. And I'm not black, so I can't pretend to understand what it's like to be black in America. But based on the hatred being spewed on social media toward Mixon, it's obvious the world that we still live in. Obviously, he shouldn't have crushed her in the face like he did. What I would have done was beat the living sh%t out of her guy friend. Again, I'll probably get ridiculed for that statement too, but that's how I was raised, to stand up for myself. No telling what the range of emotions was in Mixon's head that evening. But he was being antagonized on two fronts. Allegedly, by being called the N-word. And by being physically assaulted. Both acts for me as a child would have triggered one of two responses: fight or flight. Most of the time, it was fight.

Am I giving him a pass? Again, absolutely not. But we have to remember that this was a kid at the time. No one knows how much remorse he truly has at this moment. We don't know if he felt like and idiot after punching her, or if he felt proud and vindicated. But to judge him in a situation that none of you have most likely ever had to experience is unfair. Someone mentioned above about how he might have grown up. What if he grew up witnessing violence and thinking it was "normal." Both sides are absolutely at fault. Coming from an OU alumnus and a minority, this is the only way I can look at it. And my wife, who is a strong-willed, minority female agrees that both sides are at fault. I don't believe this is a case of "violence against women." This is a case of violence. It's not like Mixon was at home beating his girlfriend everyday. It was a random act of violence that parallels many incidences that happen between two males. Watching the video made me cringe for sure, but I won't pretend like she was this victim who was preyed upon by this physically dominating black man. If she made racist comments, she really should've have kept her mouth shut. And he should've walked away and instead of hitting a girl.

Something that really irks me is her lawsuit against Picklemans. How on earth are they liable for not providing security for her?! It's not like they were a bar/club where alcohol is served. They are a sandwich shop, where it doesn't appear that she was even a customer. This really has me questioning her integrity. I'm also a small business owner and I can't imagine the frustration that is going on right now with the owner of Picklemans. This poor guy/girl has done nothing wrong whatsoever, and he/she is going to pay for it. Maybe this separate suit has me so enraged since I hate this litigious society that we live in, and that's why I'm slightly defending Mixon. Maybe it's a combination of this and the fact that I can somewhat relate to him in being a minority who has experienced racism. Regardless, this is where I stand. I'm not going to judge him b/c I've never stood in his shoes. Other than recognizing that he was absolutely wrong for punching a girl and that there should've been punishment, I can't go after the kid an further.

BBatesokc
12-18-2016, 11:14 AM

Well, she doesn't represent OU as an athletic standout on a free ride - like it or not, that has some bearing. Also, if your stance is every emotional college girl who ever pushed or slapped a guy late at night should be expelled.... well, you're gonna have a lot of people looking to go to school elsewhere.

BBatesokc
12-18-2016, 11:20 AM
So, I've been reading ... What I would have done was beat the living sh%t out of her guy friend. Again, I'll probably get ridiculed for that statement too, but that's how I was raised, to stand up for myself. ...

You spend all this time writing what is arguably a well thought out response (even if I have a different opinion) but then you assert the above line...

WTH?

Not sure how you were raised, but beating the crap out of a bystander because you disagree with the female in his proximity is beyond ridiculous....

soonermike81
12-18-2016, 11:28 AM
You spend all this time writing what is arguably a well thought out response (even if I have a different opinion) but then you assert the above line...

WTH?

Not sure how you were raised, but beating the crap out of a bystander because you disagree with the female in his proximity is beyond ridiculous....

I guess I should've said that's what I probably would've done as a kid in Mixon's shoes. Would I do that now? No definitely not, I'm an adult with a family. But like I said, I was raised to defend myself when antagonized, whether it be physical or verbal. I was also raised to not hit females. So growing up, if I were in a similar situation, that's probably a possible action that I would have taken. Never said anything about my opinion/actions being right or wrong. It's just my personal perspective, which is probably unlike anyone else's on this board, no matter if they agree or disagree with me.

Teo9969
12-18-2016, 11:34 AM

I agree with this. Either there is a non-tolerance policy toward violence or there is not. It most certainly cannot be capricious

I personally find the discussion of degree to be entirely empty in this case. And I find the classification of this as "violence *against women*" to be unhelpful both to the understanding of this case and to the real, legitimate problem of violence against women.

Violence against women is an issue because there are men in the world who treat women violently expressly because they are women. Now, if you watch this video and believe that Mixon decked Molitor expressly because she is a woman, I have a basic disagreement with you around which there can be no discussion. I can't tell you you're wrong, because I cannot prove the motives involved here. To me, this was clearly and instance of meeting violence with (excessive) violence, which is indeed a deplorable act, but in no way shape or form associated with violence against women except in the fact of violence.

What I simply cannot get behind is looking past the iniquity of one in order to talk about the iniquity of the other because it is considered (and is) worse. Couching it in the "It's a privilege to play football" rhetoric only serves to further exceptionalize athletes from the "rest of the students". No. They are students, just like the biology major and those studying engineering. So either we expel Mixon for committing violence and Molitor along with him, or we work with two students who made poor decisions to become better people and learn from their mistakes. It's one or the other.

Jeepnokc
12-18-2016, 11:42 AM
This! Well said Teo.

I agree with this. Either there is a non-tolerance policy toward violence or there is not. It most certainly cannot be capricious

I personally find the discussion of degree to be entirely empty in this case. And I find the classification of this as "violence *against women*" to be unhelpful both to the understanding of this case and to the real, legitimate problem of violence against women.

Violence against women is an issue because there are men in the world who treat women violently expressly because they are women. Now, if you watch this video and believe that Mixon decked Molitor expressly because she is a woman, I have a basic disagreement with you around which there can be no discussion. I can't tell you you're wrong, because I cannot prove the motives involved here. To me, this was clearly and instance of meeting violence with (excessive) violence, which is indeed a deplorable act, but in no way shape or form associated with violence against women except in the fact of violence.

What I simply cannot get behind is looking past the iniquity of one in order to talk about the iniquity of the other because it is considered (and is) worse. Couching it in the "It's a privilege to play football" rhetoric only serves to further exceptionalize athletes from the "rest of the students". No. They are students, just like the biology major and those studying engineering. So either we expel Mixon for committing violence and Molitor along with him, or we work with two students who made poor decisions to become better people and learn from their mistakes. It's one or the other.

BBatesokc
12-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Is there any indication Mixon felt he was assaulted (beyond his attorney response to motions filed in court)? Did Mixon file a police report? Did Mixon go to OU and complain about Molitor and ask for any intervention from the college?

Norman PD conducted an investigation and did not feel Molitor committed any crime that was chargeable.

Why should she be expelled for violence if she faces no charges for violence?

Sancho
12-18-2016, 01:13 PM
So, I've been reading so much anger and hate from both sides now, and I thought I'd chime in. A few questions I ask myself when looking in from the outside. First off, was he wrong for punching a woman? Absolutely. Was his punishment just? Probably not. What should his punishment have been or be going forward? I don't know; I'm neither a judge or jury. Was Molitor 100% the victim in this case and not at fault whatsoever? No. Did she deserve it? If allegations of her spitting on him and calling him the N-word are true, then from my perspective, I can't judge him.

Now, I know my last two answers will be met with a ton of opposition. But I promise you that I am looking at this without my crimson colored glasses on. How can we sit here and pretend to know what it feels like to be a black kid growing up in a world full or racism? Well, I can offer my perspective from a non-white male who experienced a lot of racism growing up. I grew up in Oklahoma and was taught two things from my older brother. Don't let anyone call you racist names and stand up for yourself. There was so much hate in the town where I grew up. There was so many encounters I had with racism, and it's really difficult to describe in words the emotion/anger that was triggered. And I'm not black, so I can't pretend to understand what it's like to be black in America. But based on the hatred being spewed on social media toward Mixon, it's obvious the world that we still live in. Obviously, he shouldn't have crushed her in the face like he did. What I would have done was beat the living sh%t out of her guy friend. Again, I'll probably get ridiculed for that statement too, but that's how I was raised, to stand up for myself. No telling what the range of emotions was in Mixon's head that evening. But he was being antagonized on two fronts. Allegedly, by being called the N-word. And by being physically assaulted. Both acts for me as a child would have triggered one of two responses: fight or flight. Most of the time, it was fight.

Am I giving him a pass? Again, absolutely not. But we have to remember that this was a kid at the time. No one knows how much remorse he truly has at this moment. We don't know if he felt like and idiot after punching her, or if he felt proud and vindicated. But to judge him in a situation that none of you have most likely ever had to experience is unfair. Someone mentioned above about how he might have grown up. What if he grew up witnessing violence and thinking it was "normal." Both sides are absolutely at fault. Coming from an OU alumnus and a minority, this is the only way I can look at it. And my wife, who is a strong-willed, minority female agrees that both sides are at fault. I don't believe this is a case of "violence against women." This is a case of violence. It's not like Mixon was at home beating his girlfriend everyday. It was a random act of violence that parallels many incidences that happen between two males. Watching the video made me cringe for sure, but I won't pretend like she was this victim who was preyed upon by this physically dominating black man. If she made racist comments, she really should've have kept her mouth shut. And he should've walked away and instead of hitting a girl.

Something that really irks me is her lawsuit against Picklemans. How on earth are they liable for not providing security for her?! It's not like they were a bar/club where alcohol is served. They are a sandwich shop, where it doesn't appear that she was even a customer. This really has me questioning her integrity. I'm also a small business owner and I can't imagine the frustration that is going on right now with the owner of Picklemans. This poor guy/girl has done nothing wrong whatsoever, and he/she is going to pay for it. Maybe this separate suit has me so enraged since I hate this litigious society that we live in, and that's why I'm slightly defending Mixon. Maybe it's a combination of this and the fact that I can somewhat relate to him in being a minority who has experienced racism. Regardless, this is where I stand. I'm not going to judge him b/c I've never stood in his shoes. Other than recognizing that he was absolutely wrong for punching a girl and that there should've been punishment, I can't go after the kid an further.

Just stop. Pathetic. Blacks in America dont "grow up in a world full of racism". By far the most racism blacks experience is from other blacks. And you are being awfully presumptuous about who "we" are. Some of us on thias board are black. Stop acting like blacks are poor helpless victims of white racism.

Teo9969
12-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Is there any indication Mixon felt he was assaulted (beyond his attorney response to motions filed in court)? Did Mixon file a police report? Did Mixon go to OU and complain about Molitor and ask for any intervention from the college?

Norman PD conducted an investigation and did not feel Molitor committed any crime that was chargeable.

Why should she be expelled for violence if she faces no charges for violence?

I don't care how Mixon felt or whether or not there was police involvement. I saw Molitor resort to violence with a fellow student that precipitated a disastrous situation for the University. If I were Boren, because this went national, I would have probably expelled both as soon as I saw the video.

soonermike81
12-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Just stop. Pathetic. Blacks in America dont "grow up in a world full of racism". By far the most racism blacks experience is from other blacks. And you are being awfully presumptuous about who "we" are. Some of us on thias board are black. Stop acting like blacks are poor helpless victims of white racism.

So as a black man, you're telling me that racism isn't a thing? And that you never experienced racism dating all the way back to your youth? If not, then you're extremely lucky. If so, then tell me how much anger/hurt you felt from it. Also, I agree that racism goes in every direction. My people are about as racist as they come; not denying it one bit.

dankrutka
12-18-2016, 04:22 PM

Please take this garbage to the politics forum.

OKCRT
12-18-2016, 05:36 PM

Mixon went in the the sandwich shop and walked over to her table and escalated the argument. He went in looking for a fight. It appears that he said something to her friend that fired her up. Yes,she was in the wrong but Mixon went to her table and started this inside the shop.

I don't think she should have been kicked out of school but there is NO QUESTION in my mind that Mixon should have been. This was excessive force. If he would have slapped her back and walked out then they both prob. need to be punished in some fashion but he took it to a whole other level. And Stoops stood behind his player when he should have kicked him off the team. I don't care if he was white black or green as this has nothing to with race.

BBatesokc
12-18-2016, 06:33 PM
I don't know how some Mixon apologists work up the courage to even walk outside and be amongst the herd if you consider what you saw the young woman do as 'violence.' I'd think you'd be too afraid of your own shadow.

mkjeeves
12-18-2016, 07:47 PM

Exactly. Okay with me to get rid of both of them and be done with it.

hoya
12-18-2016, 08:14 PM
I don't feel sympathy for either party here.

She's a person who makes stupid life choices. She was on a deferred sentence for felony drug charges, had an active warrant because she violated that probation, and then got drunk and decided to attack a man twice her size. These are stupid decisions.

Joe Mixon was clearly aggressive and way over-reacted to being slapped by a drunk woman. He's gotta learn more self control.

I've seen too many football players in my life who felt like they could get away with anything. That kind of mentality just leads to prison once they finally cross that line that shouldn't be crossed. But I've also seen too many stupid women who pick a fight with the biggest dude in the bar and then expect their boyfriends to fight the guy. Until you've had a woman turn to you and say "I told that guy over there that you were gonna kick his ass because of what he said to me", and you look over and see some 6'5" dude coming towards you madder than hell, until that happens you don't really understand how much certain women need to learn to keep their damn mouths shut.

Sancho
12-18-2016, 08:16 PM
So as a black man, you're telling me that racism isn't a thing? And that you never experienced racism dating all the way back to your youth? If not, then you're extremely lucky. If so, then tell me how much anger/hurt you felt from it. Also, I agree that racism goes in every direction. My people are about as racist as they come; not denying it one bit.

Strong reading comprehension. I didnt say any of those things.

soonermike81
12-18-2016, 09:20 PM
Strong reading comprehension. I didnt say any of those things.

So what were you trying to say? Because all I was saying is that most on this board can't fully understand his reaction because they've never been in his shoes. And yes, it's an extemely racist world we live in; not just talking about the US. But as far as the US goes, GTFOH if you don't think white racism against blacks is a thing. Never said blacks were "poor helpless victims of white racism." Just stating that people that have never dealt with racism can't understand what was going through the kid's mind.

But to clear things up, are you black?

mugofbeer
12-18-2016, 11:25 PM
So, because she is a woman and because Mixson didnt feel the need to file a complaint that you feel its OK for her to verbally a use a black man who happened to be standing there? You think a woman is OK to shove him the way she did? He obviouly didn't act properly but she baited him and he reacted in a primal way
Again, this was basically a child just out of high school. He may have reacted in a way he was taught when faced with racial abuse. I don't know how much of that he gets in south LA but I doubt much. He is a teenager alone the first time in his life and faced with overt racism. As a white man I don't know how he felt inside being showered with "love" by one Oklahoma's finest but as a man, I would be livid to hear the drunk little twit ranting at him. Breaking her face wasn't the right decision and I doubt he meant to nor dix he expe t that to happen but as a disgusting racist drunk person who happened to be a woman, I can't say she didn't deserve it. At least one other on here said she will likely not utter another racist word to anyone else in her life. As for those of you that said he should have been sent elsewhere, why? He sat out a year and went to rehab classes, went to school classes and did public service. This is a gjfted person. Why not help rehab him and provide the guidance he needs here rather than just throw him to the trash heap. Yes, except for the parking ticket, he was pretty much a model citizen. He was 18 for only 1 day.

BBatesokc
12-19-2016, 06:08 AM
So, because she is a woman and because Mixson didnt feel the need to file a complaint that you feel its OK for her to verbally a use a black man who happened to be standing there? You think a woman is OK to shove him the way she did? He obviouly didn't act properly but she baited him and he reacted in a primal way
Again, this was basically a child just out of high school. He may have reacted in a way he was taught when faced with racial abuse. I don't know how much of that he gets in south LA but I doubt much. He is a teenager alone the first time in his life and faced with overt racism. As a white man I don't know how he felt inside being showered with "love" by one Oklahoma's finest but as a man, I would be livid to hear the drunk little twit ranting at him. Breaking her face wasn't the right decision and I doubt he meant to nor dix he expe t that to happen but as a disgusting racist drunk person who happened to be a woman, I can't say she didn't deserve it. At least one other on here said she will likely not utter another racist word to anyone else in her life. As for those of you that said he should have been sent elsewhere, why? He sat out a year and went to rehab classes, went to school classes and did public service. This is a gjfted person. Why not help rehab him and provide the guidance he needs here rather than just throw him to the trash heap. Yes, except for the parking ticket, he was pretty much a model citizen. He was 18 for only 1 day.

What this really shows is that people are going to pick and choose what is fact, what is not and what is simply hearsay - for the sole purpose of supporting whatever bias they already have.

There is no audio in this video. So, what someone said or didn't say it totally up for debate. Both sides are making claims against the other about what was and was not said.

I can't take it as fact that Mixon was harassing this girl outside the establishment simply because she says so. I also can't take it as fact that she was using racial slurs against Mixon.

What I can take as fact is that there was a push, followed by a very aggressive and offensive stance by Mixon, which was followed by a slap by the woman to which Mixon used full force and broke four bones in her face.

Your attempt to paint this whole picture in racism simply doesn't hold water for me.

Yeah Mixon is a kid/young man. So what? His true character came out in that instant. The young woman's character was also put on full and public display.

It happened. Nothing anyone is going to say is going to convince me Mixon is anything but a turd - regardless if she said 'mean racist things'. He didn't take responsibility then and he only publicly apologized a couple of weeks ago according to an article I read.

The courts and the college had an opportunity to show us their resolve to have zero tolerance for such things and they failed miserably with both the young woman and Mixon.

Mixon is what he is - but the powers that be had a chance to set an example and they failed.

Yet, had Mixon been just some student caught on tape simply singing and inappropriate/racist song - he would have been expelled and condemned by the university.

jerrywall
12-19-2016, 09:40 AM
Yeah... IMO, even if you believe Mixon was insulted, slurred, and assaulted, and somehow his response was legally justified, his behavior and response should still have been enough to get him at the least kicked of the team, if not expelled. There's a code of conduct for a reason.

mkjeeves
12-19-2016, 10:01 AM
There's a code of conduct for a reason.

She's a student also. I would probably have kicked them both out, except I assume the people making those decisions have a lot more information than we do that might have made a difference in that opinion.

It might be noteworthy the opening paragraph of the webpage on student conduct says: Our philosophy emphasizes positive behavior changes, improved decision-making and focuses on assisting students to overcome problems to successfully complete their educational goals.

http://www.ou.edu/studentconduct.html

Sancho
12-19-2016, 10:12 AM
So what were you trying to say? Because all I was saying is that most on this board can't fully understand his reaction because they've never been in his shoes. And yes, it's an extemely racist world we live in; not just talking about the US. But as far as the US goes, GTFOH if you don't think white racism against blacks is a thing. Never said blacks were "poor helpless victims of white racism." Just stating that people that have never dealt with racism can't understand what was going through the kid's mind.

But to clear things up, are you black?

Im saying you are full of **** regarding racism. Its an extremely racist world? Meaning Mixon must have grown up under a constant barrage of racism from whites... yet the only time he has ever hit someone in the face over it was a drunk chick in Norman Oklahoma. That doesnt add up. He has probably been TOLD whites are racist his whole life, and this was the first time he actually experienced it.

I swear, some of you people act like its 1952 or something. I guess it gives you something to feel good about. Everyone is sooooo racist except for ME, I am enlightened and evolved. Right guys?

jerrywall
12-19-2016, 10:24 AM
She's a student also. I would probably have kicked them both out, except I assume the people making those decisions have a lot more information than we do that might have made a difference in that opinion.

It might be noteworthy the opening paragraph of the webpage on student conduct says: Our philosophy emphasizes positive behavior changes, improved decision-making and focuses on assisting students to overcome problems to successfully complete their educational goals.

http://www.ou.edu/studentconduct.html

Oh, I don't disagree. But athletic scholarships typically come with an even stricter code of conduct, and I expect fighting, even justified, would violate it.

onthestrip
12-19-2016, 10:36 AM
All I can say is after reading some of the posts here and many comments on social media...no wonder Oklahoma ranks as one as one of the highest states for male on female violence and abuse.

The biggest thing to me is Stoops, Boren, and Joe C all watched this video and didnt think it would be best to ask Mixon to continue his education and football playing elsewhere. No one is asking OU to ruin the kids life, but to stand up to male on female violence and assault. I would have thought OU leaders, as well as the deranged OU fans that are supporting Mixon to know that OU football is way bigger than one guy and have both go on their separate ways. I guess peoples judgement will always be skewed when it involves someone who is talented at football.

jerrywall
12-19-2016, 10:46 AM
IMO, if he wasn't as good as he is on the field, he would have been out. I mean, sing a racist song, and you're expelled and it's a major deal. Punch someone in the face, break bones, etc (I don't care the gender), well, we'll give you a year suspension. And then it's all good.

The big telling thing to me. He sees her go down, bounce off the table, and then hit the floor. Does he go "oh my god!" and check on her. Does he stay around to make sure she's OK. Nope, he walks off. About the only thing worse would have been a victory lap.

soonermike81
12-19-2016, 12:41 PM
Im saying you are full of **** regarding racism. Its an extremely racist world? Meaning Mixon must have grown up under a constant barrage of racism from whites... yet the only time he has ever hit someone in the face over it was a drunk chick in Norman Oklahoma. That doesnt add up. He has probably been TOLD whites are racist his whole life, and this was the first time he actually experienced it.

I swear, some of you people act like its 1952 or something. I guess it gives you something to feel good about. Everyone is sooooo racist except for ME, I am enlightened and evolved. Right guys?

I'm completely confused here. Are you black or white or other? You made it sound like you were black from your initial response to me.

Sancho
12-19-2016, 01:33 PM
I'm completely confused here. Are you black or white or other? You made it sound like you were black from your initial response to me.

What ****ing difference does it make? My race doesnt validatw or invalidate my commentary.

soonermike81
12-19-2016, 02:34 PM
What ****ing difference does it make? My race doesnt validatw or invalidate my commentary.

First of all, I don't understand how you are so angry in your responses. It's a very simple question. Second of all, your ethnicity actually has everything to do with my original post. If you're not black, or another minority, or a white person who group up in a minority-dominated school/city/neighborhood, then you most likely have no idea what the f%ck I'm talking about. You probably never experienced racism in your life, and that's why you seem to be denying that it's a problem at all. And like I said, if you are black and never experienced racism, you are a very lucky individual. I promise you that I'm a person that rarely pulls out the race card in these types of situations. But, I'm not going to put my blinders on and act ignorant to its existence. I do recognize that race plays a factor in many situations, and that racism is absolutely a thing.

My original post said that we shouldn't completely judge Mixon without knowing what he has gone through and without knowing what he was thinking at the time of the incident. It was a very instinctual reaction, IMO; something that I can somewhat relate to, but not fully b/c I have not walked in his shoes. I don't view him as this woman beater who preyed on an innocent victim, but rather a young man/boy who made a terrible instinctual decision to hit a female. I don't condone what he did, but at the same time, I'm not trying to destroy his life for his mistakes. She was absolutely a victim in this situation, but I believe she did a lot of wrong as well (at least from allegations). So because she is a victim, she will most likely be rewarded for it by the courts.

mkjeeves
12-20-2016, 07:02 PM
I gather his police interview tape got released today. I wonder if her interview and other witness interviews will be released?

I didn't watch it but read the recap below and found an answer I believe was asked up thread:

In the video, Mixon’s attorneys asked Norman police detective David Freudiger to charge Molitor, also.

also this:

Attorney Kevin Finlay, who represented Mixon in the 2014 criminal case, on Monday criticized Cleveland County District Attorney Greg Mashburn for providing the surveillance videos to Molitor’s attorneys.

“I think it was done because she’s politically connected,” Finlay said. “It has always shocked me. I can’t think of another case where that has occurred. He’s clearly aiding them in a civil suit.”

Mashburn declined to comment on the criticism.

http://newsok.com/article/5531466

I read somewhere she just graduated too.

dankrutka
12-20-2016, 08:23 PM
Mixon's released transcripts confirm that Molitor neither spit on him nor called him a racial epithet - both were popular rationalizations for him hitting her.

There's been so much talk on this. What I'd really like to see is a serious apology from Mixon's mouth (not a press release) and then a commitment from him and OU to stand against violence against women. That's how you move forward - through positive actions. Taking up Brenda Tracy on her offer to assist could benefit everyone.

hoya
12-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Mixon's released transcripts confirm that Molitor neither spit on him nor called him a racial epithet - both were popular rationalizations for him hitting her.

There's been so much talk on this. What I'd really like to see is a serious apology from Mixon's mouth (not a press release) and then a commitment from him and OU to stand against violence against women. That's how you move forward - through positive actions. Taking up Brenda Tracy on her offer to assist could benefit everyone.

Admitting fault is never going to happen while she still has a civil suit pending against him.

SOONER8693
12-20-2016, 09:20 PM
Ok people, let's cut to the chase here. All of this BS about wanting "stands against violence" and women and politcal correctness, race and otherwise is just one's personal excuse for wanting to get Joe Mixon/OU. There are 2 basic reasons those wanting Joe Mixon castrated, hung from the oldest, highest tree on the South Oval, thrown in the slammer, etc, etc, etc and The University of Oklahoma to be as embarrassed as possible. 1) Joe Mixon is black and most importantly 2) He is an OU football player. If you can't be honest with yourself and everybody else about it, you are lying to yourself and everybody else.

bucktalk
12-20-2016, 10:01 PM
Blindness to violence runs far deeper than crimson. Its very unsettling to think anyone would peg this horrible situation only on a state school without seeing the entire truth. Truth is deeper than defending a particular college. Shame. It's doubtful you'd ever qualify to be on a jury.