View Full Version : The Last Drop

Pete
11-23-2016, 11:02 AM
New coffee / tea / pastry place at 5425 N. Lincoln in the old Howard Johnson's restaurant.

http://thelastdropok.com/

Opens day after Thanksgiving.

Hondo1
12-15-2016, 02:10 PM
Will be interesting to see how long this place stays in business. I've passed maybe two times when it is open. Otherwise, it's usually closed whether it be morning or early evening.

Timshel
12-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Will be interesting to see how long this place stays in business. I've passed maybe two times when it is open. Otherwise, it's usually closed whether it be morning or early evening.

The website says their hours are 8 am - 4 pm, Monday through Friday. That doesn't seem like a recipe for success unless you're in the CBD, perhaps.

DoctorTaco
12-16-2016, 08:35 AM
The website says their hours are 8 am - 4 pm, Monday through Friday. That doesn't seem like a recipe for success unless you're in the CBD, perhaps.

OMG this phenomenon is a cancer on OKC businesses. I just got burned by a business not keeping its posted hours this last week (this time in a medical setting). Afterwards I had a haricut appointment. I was in a terrible mood and was venting to my barber about this and how out of all the places I've ever lived OKC is completely the worst for this. The owner of the barbershop chimed in and said that his shop is frequently closed during posted hours. He didn't seem to see the problem with it and was kind of bemused by my outrage.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!

http://fredrikdeboer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/am-i-out-of-touch-no-its-the-children-who-are-wrong.jpg

Roger S
12-16-2016, 08:40 AM
When I had my game store in Midwest City I once got an irate voice mail from a customer that had showed up 5 minutes before our closing time to find us closed.... I was my only employee and I had gone to the hospital for a family emergency about 30 minutes before our closing time.

Not saying this is always the reason for a place to close their doors during posted hours but small businesses do occasionally have issues arise that require them to close.

DoctorTaco
12-16-2016, 09:13 AM
When I had my game store in Midwest City I once got an irate voice mail from a customer that had showed up 5 minutes before our closing time to find us closed.... I was my only employee and I had gone to the hospital for a family emergency about 30 minutes before our closing time.

Not saying this is always the reason for a place to close their doors during posted hours but small businesses do occasionally have issues arise that require them to close.

I get that BBQ, but something else, something cultural, is going on in OKC. In my adult life I've lived in 6 cities and spent enough time frequenting businesses in 4-5 more to feel like I can make a fair comparison, and OKC is worse for this at every level. I am talking restaruants, barber shops, walk-in clinics, bike shops, etc. Last week an entire building on the OU Medicine campus was closed for 5 hours for a previously un-announced Christmas Party. Locked door and hand-made sign taped up. No mention on the website or voicemails or anything. AN ENTIRE BUILDING that had posted hours of 8-4:30. I called to complain and finally got a hold of someone who's best apology was "I don't control what is on the website."

Once or twice is fine for emergencies. But too many establishments just make a habit of it. I think it goes back to the "Better than crappy makes us happy" mentality and the historical overall lack of competition around here.

It pleases me, deeply, when I see an operator go out of business who makes a habit of not keeping their posted hours. Petty I know but life is bleak lately and I'll cling to whatever I can.

ljbab728
12-16-2016, 10:26 PM

In a situation like that, some kind of sign should be posted on the door giving somewhat of an explanation about why the business is closed. It won't make everyone happy but it helps.

ctchandler
12-16-2016, 10:50 PM
Kind of reminds me of Beasley's BBQ (formerly in Irma's Burger Shack on 63rd). But he did put a sign on the door. I went there once and he had a sign that said "Gone fishin'". Several times he had a sign that said that he had run out of meat. I agree, other than an emergency, even a hand written sign would be nice.
C. T.

Pete
02-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Has anyone been?

Drove by yesterday and the building looks quite nice.

wunderkind
02-20-2017, 12:14 PM
I've been there for coffe; stopped in a week or more ago. Mid afternoon. They apparently bought items and fixtures from the Fulfilled coffee shop that closed a year (maybe more) ago that was on Boulevard in Edmond. Actually served the coffee in a "fulfilled" cup, so I asked about it. They got their espresso machine there when Fulfilled closed; the barista said that Fulfilled was owned by a family that had set up their son in that business, but he had a change of heart and moved to California to become a surfer. Anyway, the latte I had was not spectacular, and also, working downtown, they would have to be open early for me to stop in very often.

Pete
03-23-2017, 02:00 PM
From their FB:

The LAST DROP added 9 new photos.

As of 22 MARCH, 2017 all COFFEE, COLD DRINKS and FOOD ITEMS are FREE of CHARGE!
This promotion is because the Oklahoma County Assessor, Leonard Sullivan is demanding that we pay AD VALORUM tax. As a NON-PROFIT organization we have never had to pay this tax in 25 years, due to an Oklahoma Statute.
We may or may not stay open after this promotion, depending on the County Assessor, Leonard Sullivan's decision on April 6, 2017.
All contributions for coffee are voluntary and are tax deductible and will help the children of Honduras. We may close our doors on April 7, 2017 because the County Assessor Leonard Sullivan has said as a non-profit organization we cannot have a commercial coffee shop and charge high prices ($2,$3 or $4) and SALES TAX for coffee and tea, etc.
GOD BLESS YOU!!
PLEASE SHARE THIS BECAUSE WE HAVE A LOT OF COFFEE TO SHARE. ESPRESSOS, CAPPUCCINOS, LATTES, A WHOLE LATTA LOVE ETC, ETC…..