View Full Version : When people say that the biggest problem Downtown is parking...

Ross MacLochness
11-22-2016, 09:08 AM
...they would be correct. We have way too much of it.

The lack of parking is the number one complaint I hear from folks who say they don't go downtown. I'd argue that these people only make it downtown on busy nights during special events and perhaps aren't thrilled to park a few blocks away from their destination. Yes, parking gets tight on busy nights, but otherwise a majority of this land sits paved, striped and unused. Here is a map of Bricktown with all the parking highlighted in red. Parking takes up almost half the available space! I'm working on a similar map of greater downtown that I'll post later.

13285 Edit: Here is the map of all of Downtown: 13286

HangryHippo
11-22-2016, 09:16 AM
Incredible!

Pete
11-22-2016, 09:16 AM
What they really mean is they want to park right in front of wherever they are going and certainly don't want to walk more than a block.

Of course, there is plenty of parking for people without those expectations.

I think the key is providing an environment worth walking a few blocks for. And some people just don't want the hassle and prefer to stay in the 'burbs, but most my friends that live far out still come downtown quite a bit.

warreng88
11-22-2016, 09:23 AM
What they really mean is they want to park right in front of wherever they are going and certainly don't want to walk more than a block.

Of course, there is plenty of parking for people without those expectations.

I think the key is providing an environment worth walking a few blocks for. And some people just don't want the hassle and prefer to stay in the 'burbs, but most my friends that live far out still come downtown quite a bit.

That, or they don't want to pay for parking. I remember seeing in the MAPS3 poll for new projects that free parking was in the top 10 of what people wanted in OKC.

Ross MacLochness
11-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Please use these images on Social Media or however you'd like to use them.

Also I should note that this does include a few underground parking locations and one apartment garage, but I'm pretty sure they can all be accessed by the public or at least aren't entirely reserved for tenants. Even without these two or three places, the map would still be very red.

Zuplar
11-22-2016, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure how much other is, but not all that is public parking for starters. Take Bass Pro for example. That's for patron parking, although we all know people park there and never step foot in Bass Pro. Sure we could probably do a better job of having garages as opposed to so many surface lots but there is only so much you can do about that since garages aren't cheap. One concern I've had about parking is what happens when all the 'surface lots' near the arena go away because of the park or the boulevard. I'm guessing most people that go to the Thunder game park in these lots (I know I always have since they moved here), and honestly will be pretty bummed when they go away. Parking is my main reason for not going downtown, and it's not that I mind walking, it's mostly that it's so disorganized.

Ross MacLochness
11-22-2016, 10:12 AM
That, or they don't want to pay for parking. I remember seeing in the MAPS3 poll for new projects that free parking was in the top 10 of what people wanted in OKC.

There is free parking in Bricktown and lots that are 5 bucks no matter what is going on, they are just not right next in front of every attraction. I think you both are right, people don't want to pay to park, but people also don't want to walk after parking in free/cheap parking lots.

Having a few blocks worth walking is harder the more parking lots and facilities there are on those blocks!

warreng88
11-22-2016, 10:18 AM
There is free parking in Bricktown and lots that are 5 bucks no matter what is going on, they are just not right next in front of every attraction. I think you both are right, people don't want to pay to park, but people also don't want to walk after parking in free/cheap parking lots.

Having a few blocks worth walking is harder the more parking lots and facilities there are on those blocks!

I don't disagree with you, I am just saying what people stated they wanted. I tell people all the time about the vast amounts of free parking if you are willing to walk a little bit. To give you an idea of what people think about OKC, I had a lady I worked with who had to go to Pie Junkie (Plaza District) right before Thanksgiving. She said she will never go down there again, because she had to park on 17th and walk. Yep, two blocks (one north, one west) to get there and all she did was complain about it. I think what Pete says rings true that people are used to parking right in front of their location and walking in. I don't know if it is the suburb mindset or just being plain lazy, but it gets annoying when all people do is complain about it.

Rover
11-22-2016, 11:32 AM
I know more than a few young ladies that have quit working downtown because the lots they could afford to park in were several blocks away. The walk was not the problem and they certainly aren't lazy...in fact they are quite fit. The issue they talked about was arriving at work disheveled from the constant wind mostly. By the time they arrived at work they felt completely windblown. The companies that pay for parking for their less than executive employees don't seem to have the same issues as their employees park in the garages. It may be anecdotal, but it seems like most downtown employers don't want to pay any more than those in the suburbs. Parking costs then become a penalty.

Anonymous.
11-22-2016, 12:33 PM
Is Aloft's parking garage a garage for non-guests?? That seems weird to be highlighted on there.

The mindset is definitely suburb oriented. I think a lot of people are intimidated with driving downtown (especially bricktown) and basically panic and just park at the first place they see for paid parking. The parking lot pirates don't want the public to be educated with signs and information on free parking. And that includes the city. The fact that hours aren't posted on parking meters is just an attempt to get donations from clueless people who finally venture out "to the big city".

I agree with the point Rover makes about employees. Walk around Bricktown/DeepDeuce around 4-6pm and look at where service industry employees are coming from, they are walking from all over the place as they had to park far away from their actual destination, just like the patrons. It sucks, but restaurant owners already get away with not paying employees legit wages, what makes anyone think they would pay to block off nearby parking?

FighttheGoodFight
11-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Is Aloft's parking garage a garage for non-guests?? That seems weird to be highlighted on there.

The mindset is definitely suburb oriented. I think a lot of people are intimidated with driving downtown (especially bricktown) and basically panic and just park at the first place they see for paid parking. The parking lot pirates don't want the public to be educated with signs and information on free parking. And that includes the city. The fact that hours aren't posted on parking meters is just an attempt to get donations from clueless people who finally venture out "to the big city".

I agree with the point Rover makes about employees. Walk around Bricktown/DeepDeuce around 4-6pm and look at where service industry employees are coming from, they are walking from all over the place as they had to park far away from their actual destination, just like the patrons. It sucks, but restaurant owners already get away with not paying employees legit wages, what makes anyone think they would pay to block off nearby parking?

Aloft's is. I was staying there for a night once and they said the lot was full as some country artist was having a concert and people bought the parking.

Teo9969
11-22-2016, 01:33 PM
The other night my mom and I parked caddie-corner from Barrios because we were going to eat there. They didn't have TVs and we wanted to watch the game so we decided to head over to Nic's and she asked incredulously if we were going to walk. "Yes, Mom, it's 3 blocks".

Ross MacLochness
11-22-2016, 03:11 PM

My map prolly has some spots that could be added and others that should be taken off, It's not perfect. Regardless it is still shocking to see the amount of parking available.

dankrutka
11-22-2016, 03:33 PM
I really think a lot of people would be more willing to walk a few blocks to their destination if (a) they knew the area well, and (b) understood the difference between urban and suburban environments. Regarding the former, it can be overwhelming to know where to park for people who don't frequent the core much. I usually park in Deep Deuce when I, for example, go to Thunder games. A lot of people just wouldn't think of parking there. As to the latter, most people appreciate the walkability and urban environment of big cities, but they just may not make the connection between quality urbanism, active areas, and less parking.

Familiarity and a shift in expectations can go a long way, but it certainly takes time for attitudes to shift overall...

Roger S
11-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Something I've not seen touched on here is that a lot of suburbanites still have some fear of walking in the CBD. Especially after dark.

It wasn't a particularly friendly place to walk until recently. The area is going to carry that stigma for a few years to come.

Plutonic Panda
11-22-2016, 07:15 PM
On street parking isn't included in this either.

dankrutka
11-22-2016, 08:05 PM
Something I've not seen touched on here is that a lot of suburbanites still have some fear of walking in the CBD. Especially after dark.

It wasn't a particularly friendly place to walk until recently. The area is going to carry that stigma for a few years to come.

Honest question, when has there been high crime rates in Bricktown since it's revival? I never remember hearing this.

jompster
11-22-2016, 09:11 PM
I honestly don't mind walking several blocks. One night we parked in Lower Bricktown and walked all over the place, clear over to Bleu Garten area and back (not because that was our destination, but because that's just where we ended up walking from place to place). I just don't care to pay for parking. I don't mind paying to park in a garage or in a fenced and secure facility, but I'm not paying to park in the street or in an open parking lot.

Roger S
11-22-2016, 09:46 PM
Honest question, when has there been high crime rates in Bricktown since it's revival? I never remember hearing this.

Never that I know of.

bombermwc
11-23-2016, 08:03 AM
That map is a bit misleading though. A lot of the lots downtown are not available to the public and if you park there, you are towed. A large number of those are surface lots, and not all of those are small either. COTPA has the larger lots already, and most of those actually are near the events. So just to identify parking lots on a map doesn't really tell a true story about what's available to the public on a daily basis.

warreng88
11-23-2016, 08:09 AM

There hasn't, but it's perception. I went to a wedding and the reception was at the Petroleum Club at the top of the Chase building. After the reception was over, we were talking about going a few different places (Bricktown Brewery, WSKY, WXYZ and Urban Johnnie) and most people thought they would have to drive. I would say 75% of the people didn't want to walk and didn't even really know how far it was. The furthest one away was WSKY and it was a 10 minute walk. We finally said, screw it, let's go to the Skirvin. And even when we brought that up, people thought they would have to drive.

Zuplar
11-23-2016, 08:09 AM
That map is a bit misleading though. A lot of the lots downtown are not available to the public and if you park there, you are towed. A large number of those are surface lots, and not all of those are small either. COTPA has the larger lots already, and most of those actually are near the events. So just to identify parking lots on a map doesn't really tell a true story about what's available to the public on a daily basis.

I'm glad someone else gets it.

Ross MacLochness
11-23-2016, 09:32 AM

This is true. I tried not to include the lots and garages I knew were off limits to the public but I'm sure there are some on there that aren't available to the average event goer. I want to make another map which includes only Publicly available lots and garages and excludes private lots and garages and underground parking. I still fee like that map would be a shocker to many who complain about lack of available parking.

That being said, this map to me still has value as it shows the sheer amount of space we dedicate to automobiles that could be used for higher purposes and greater tax revenue. Another thing to think about is to imagine what percentage of our parking infrastructure is actually used at any given time. Are we ever at risk for 100% occupancy of parking spaces? I can't imagine we would ever be. Public lots are often pretty empty during the day and those private garages and lots are by their very nature empty when the users go home. If territory weren't an issue, could we strive to consolidate and cooperate with each other so that, for example, lots used by a law firm during the day could be used for event space at night?

The important thing here is to open up for discussion the topic of parking since it is so often the crux of the issue when talking about downtown. Questions about changing the perception of lack of parking, confusing and scattered lots, personal safety, and walkability as presented by other posters here are interesting and important discussions we need to be having. Other important questions would be how parking effects the rhythm of a walkable area, how they might hinder the scale and appeal of an area, and how they might impact the economic benefit of downtown.

Pete
11-23-2016, 09:44 AM
^

I agree.

Even though a lot might not be totally public, it is still dedicated parking.

jerrywall
11-23-2016, 10:56 AM
That being said, this map to me still has value as it shows the sheer amount of space we dedicate to automobiles that could be used for higher purposes and greater tax revenue. Another thing to think about is to imagine what percentage of our parking infrastructure is actually used at any given time. Are we ever at risk for 100% occupancy of parking spaces? I can't imagine we would ever be. Public lots are often pretty empty during the day and those private garages and lots are by their very nature empty when the users go home. If territory weren't an issue, could we strive to consolidate and cooperate with each other so that, for example, lots used by a law firm during the day could be used for event space at night?

Isn't density/land use a self solving issue? It seems to me that if a plot of land becomes in high enough demand to be more valuable as office or retail or whatever, rather than parking, it'll happen.

KayneMo
11-23-2016, 11:37 AM
I did downtown Tulsa:
https://s15.postimg.org/o458h6v4b/downtown_tulsa_parking.jpg

turnpup
11-23-2016, 11:47 AM
With respect to the issue of fear of walking downtown at night, I can say anecdotally that our family hasn't had any issues whatsoever. We ride our bicycles downtown at night at least 4 nights per week, and frequently will lock them up and set off on foot in various places like the Myriad Botanical Gardens. No one has ever bothered us at all. Yes, one will see quite a few homeless people, but they are generally very much to themselves. As in, asleep in a ball in a storefront, or sitting on a park bench staring into space. Those aren't (in my opinion and experience) the people committing crimes. Also, nowadays it seems like downtown is very populated at night, even on weeknights. Surprisingly. About the "worst" thing that has happened to us is a lady asked us for money. When we very politely told her we don't carry cash, she very nicely told us to have a good evening and then complimented me on what I was wearing.

Having said that, I'm not sure, as a female, I would be down there on foot alone at night. But that isn't because it's downtown. I probably wouldn't be alone on foot at night in any place where a random person driving by could easily accost me.

riflesforwatie
11-23-2016, 12:25 PM
With respect to the issue of fear of walking downtown at night, I can say anecdotally that our family hasn't had any issues whatsoever.

My experience is the same. I walk all over the CBD, C2S, Midtown, and more, both day and night, and I've never had any issues or felt nervous. Honestly I would be more scared to walk along 4- and 5-lane arterials in far NW OKC, Edmond, or Norman because of the high-speed traffic and pedestrian-unfriendly infrastructure than I would be to walk anywhere near Downtown at night.

Roger S
11-23-2016, 01:26 PM
As I said. It is a stigma that the CBD carries with those that don't frequent the area. I frequently make walks of more than a mile to Thunder games and have never had an issue. My experience walking in the CBD doesn't remove the stigma the area carries with those unfamiliar to it either.

I'm down there just about every day. I've seen the changes first hand. I now walk through areas at night I would have avoided 5 years ago.

My point was, and still is, that to those unfamiliar to the area. It may still carry a stigma of being unsafe. Especially when the media mostly reports when the occasional shooting or stabbing happens. Anyone remember why Thunder Alley was shut down?

HangryHippo
11-23-2016, 02:15 PM
I did downtown Tulsa:
https://s15.postimg.org/o458h6v4b/downtown_tulsa_parking.jpg

My god. That's unreal!

Pete
11-23-2016, 02:42 PM
My experience is the same. I walk all over the CBD, C2S, Midtown, and more, both day and night, and I've never had any issues or felt nervous. Honestly I would be more scared to walk along 4- and 5-lane arterials in far NW OKC, Edmond, or Norman because of the high-speed traffic and pedestrian-unfriendly infrastructure than I would be to walk anywhere near Downtown at night.

Absolutely right.

Much more to fear crossing streets and from drivers not paying attention to pedestrians.

I walk all over the core pretty frequently and have never felt unsafe.

Roger S
11-23-2016, 03:29 PM
Absolutely right.

Much more to fear crossing streets and from drivers not paying attention to pedestrians.

I walk all over the core pretty frequently and have never felt unsafe.

You are missing my point. I walk there too. You and I are not stigmatized by the CBD.

turnpup
11-23-2016, 08:14 PM
OKBBQ, isn't it funny how threatening "downtown" is for those who do not frequent it? You're absolutely right that some people from beyond the core tend to think of it in these weird, scary terms. Tonight, a beautiful cool--but not cold--still night, with no wind, we were down at the ice rink having hot chocolate and watching the skaters. I overheard the people next to us lamenting how they couldn't eat at Zio's because they didn't want to pay $20 to park in the lot in Bricktown. What is that, 4 or 5 blocks away from where they were? I have no idea whether they were scared to walk, or maybe perceived that it was too far or what, but it was interesting to overhear in light of what we're discussing here.

Roger S
11-24-2016, 12:41 PM
It really is... I usually park at my office for Thunder games. It's a 1 mile walk through Film Row to the Peake. Twice I've asked people I've invited if they minded walking the mile and both times they didn't mind walking the mile but the first question they asked was "Is that safe?" and there was a time I would not have made that walk myself. Today I have no problem with it.

I think eventually people thinking downtown is unsafe will go away but a lot of people still mistakenly associate downtown as a place where "drunks and vagrants" hang out.

Bullbear
11-28-2016, 09:38 AM
People who I work with who live in the burbs always comment how unsafe it is downtown or in Bricktown or any part of the city really.. even in my neighborhood. some people just are conditioned for living in the city it seems. I have never felt unsafe in my neighborhood or in the CBD area.

Ross MacLochness
11-28-2016, 10:01 AM
I think a lot of the feeling that downtown is unsafe for people to walk is a sense of alienation felt subconsciously because the design still favors cars over people. It is certainly more walkable than say memorial road, but memorial road makes no clain to be walkable and is designed exclusively for auto travel. Downtown on the other hand has a bit of an identity crisis. It is quazi walkable and is becoming more so all the time, but despite our best efforts, parking garages, parking lots, wide roads etc are still being built. There is almost always a parking garage within view no matter where you are. Even though we know that its ok to walk around Downtown, people with little downtown OKC experience wont immediately feel at home and comfortable walking because the environment communicates to them "don't walk here, this is for cars".

dankrutka
11-28-2016, 11:07 AM
Even if most fears of walking in the core are unfounded, downtown should continue to feel safer and safer as more mixed use residential and hotel projects open up. These projects should put more eyes and people on the street that will create both a safer feel and probably even more safety.

Urbanized
11-28-2016, 01:34 PM
People who I work with who live in the burbs always comment how unsafe it is downtown or in Bricktown or any part of the city really.. even in my neighborhood. some people just are conditioned for living in the city it seems. I have never felt unsafe in my neighborhood or in the CBD area.

The reality is that a crimetracker search would probably show more crime in their own neighborhood, and almost certainly would if adjusted on a per-capita user basis. I don't care if they live in Nichols Hills.

TheTravellers
12-01-2016, 04:48 PM

Some people are just idiots - my mom, for example, actually said "I don't like leaving my car unlocked here" during the day while it was parked in front of our new house in Venice and there were about half a dozen people around our house helping us move. She made a point of locking her car while we could see her doing it. She lives in Edmond.

pure
12-02-2016, 07:39 AM
My friends don't like paying for parking when they go downtown. It's usually $5-$10, sometimes I'll see a $20 sign near the arena on event nights, but it's typically not that much. I go to Chicago often and the price for parking there is usually around $6 for 30 minutes, so maybe it's just me to think that OKC parking prices are cheap as dirt.

Teo9969
12-03-2016, 01:01 AM
My friends don't like paying for parking when they go downtown. It's usually $5-$10, sometimes I'll see a $20 sign near the arena on event nights, but it's typically not that much. I go to Chicago often and the price for parking there is usually around $6 for 30 minutes, so maybe it's just me to think that OKC parking prices are cheap as dirt.

It's not. They are.