View Full Version : Big 12 Basketball 2016 - 2017

ljbab728
11-15-2016, 10:01 PM
It was a great night for the Big 12. Kansas knocked off number 1 Duke and Baylor took down number 4 Oregon. Interestingly, Kanas is the only Big 12 team with a loss so far.

Roger S
11-16-2016, 05:15 AM
Kansas is the only team that's opened their season against two Top 15 teams.... I was afraid my Jayhawks might be 0-2 to start the season after watching exhibition play.

I've only watched 3 games so far this season, not counting exhibition, but in those 3 games, especially the two KU games.... The officiating has made it almost unwatchable.... I know they are trying to clean it up and make it easier for the offense to score but dang..... The KU/Duke game went almost 3 hours and both teams where in the bonus in under 7 minutes and there were 63 fouls called in the KU/IU game..... I'm all for seeing some more offense but if both teams most talented players are on the bench due to ticky tack fouls.... The offense is going to suffer.

The Baylor win was huge for the conference since we are predicted to be down this year.... Although after watching the Sooners I think they are underrated right now and Baylor may very well be too.

ljbab728
12-03-2016, 10:04 PM
It's still a mixed bag for the Big 12 so far but they are still a very strong conference overall. Locally, OU is obviously down from last year and lost a road game to a ranked Wisconsin team today. OSU is obviously looking better but lost a close road game to Maryland. Kansas is still Kansas. West Virginia and Baylor had impressive wins over #6 Virginia and #7 Xavier, respectively.

AP
12-05-2016, 09:04 AM
OSU is obviously looking better but lost a close road game to Maryland.

What stinks about that loss, is we were up the entire first half and by as much as 12 at the 12-minute mark but then didn't score again until ~6 minutes left. Have to figure out a way to not let the offense stall like that.

Eric
12-05-2016, 09:11 AM
I'm still not sure what to think about OSU. They are decidedly better than last year, but the Big 12 schedule will be brutal . See what they are really made of I guess.

ljbab728
01-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Despite being off to horrendous starts, both OU and OSU have been playing some of the conference heavyweights tough. OU had a very surprising win tonight over 7th ranked West Virginia on the road.

Roger S
01-18-2017, 09:58 PM
Despite being off to horrendous starts, both OU and OSU have been playing some of the conference heavyweights tough. OU had a very surprising win tonight over 7th ranked West Virginia on the road.

OU doesn't start conference play 0-5 with a healthy Woodard.... Tonights win was huge both as a resume and confidence builder and Odomes and McGusty have really made big improvements.

I think the Big XII gets 5, for sure, 6 if all the dominoes fall in the right place, to the dance this year. Not an easy road but the Sooners can still fight their way back in the picture. I really want to see the freshmen get some post season experience this year.

dankrutka
01-18-2017, 11:14 PM
Great, gutsy win for OU, but OU's NCAA tourney hopes are already over. It's just too much to ask this young group to go on a dominant run. They'd probably have to finish out 10-3 to even be in contention. A Big 12 tourney title is likely the only path to the tourney. NIT is possible though. I just hope this team continues to improve. They showed a lot tonight.

Spartan
02-25-2017, 01:37 PM
Seems like a pretty strong conference field this year, with both WVU and TCU making strong contributions. Really everyone is good except for OU and UT. Was it really expected to be down this year? That's not the preseason expectation I recall.

ljbab728
03-16-2017, 10:27 PM
So far, so good, for the Big 12 in the tournament. Even though they haven't faced the best competition, they are 3 - 0.

Richard at Remax
03-18-2017, 07:41 PM
Brad Underwood leaves OSU for Illinois. Pretty embarrassing day for Oklahoma State Athletics.

ljbab728
03-18-2017, 10:48 PM
Brad Underwood leaves OSU for Illinois. Pretty embarrassing day for Oklahoma State Athletics.

I'm not sure I would call it embarrassing because Illinois is probably a better job for a basketball coach than OSU. I would certainly call it a bitter disappointment, however, because he was being talked about at the savior of OSU basketball.

ljbab728
03-19-2017, 08:10 PM
Still a good showing in the tournament for the Big 12 with WVU, Kansas, and Baylor going to the Sweet 16.

Eric
03-21-2017, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure I would call it embarrassing because Illinois is probably a better job for a basketball coach than OSU. I would certainly call it a bitter disappointment, however, because he was being talked about at the savior of OSU basketball.

I'm thinking Holder combined with Illinois is more desirable geographically than Oklahoma for him personally. It's a downgrade in conference stature that's for sure. That, and he could get a huge raise immediately where he would likely have to win for a couple more years for what they are paying him in Stillwater.

OSU Contract (which I know he was attempting to renegotiate) vs Illinois in comparison
2016-17: $1 million
2017-18: $1.1 million -- $2.85 million
2018-19: $1.2 million -- $2.95 million
2019-20: $1.4 million -- $3.05 million
2020-21: $1.6 million -- $3.15 million

What would you do?