View Full Version : Major water service disruption in South OKC???

SoonerDave
10-29-2016, 08:14 AM
Can anyone advise information about a possible large-scale water disruption in the South OKC area? Numerous reports on social media about very low or no water pressure from as far north as SW 89th and Penn area to SW 163rd...would imply a major main break or a pumping station issue. People are trying to call in and the service line reportedly is hanging up on them (presume an autobot).

I've tweeted out to local media and the city, but no response yet.

SOONER8693
10-29-2016, 08:19 AM
Can anyone advise information about a possible large-scale water disruption in the South OKC area? Numerous reports on social media about very low or no water pressure from as far north as SW 89th and Penn area to SW 163rd...would imply a major main break or a pumping station issue. People are trying to call in and the service line reportedly is hanging up on them (presume an autobot).

I've tweeted out to local media and the city, but no response yet.

Live on SW 137th, just south of Eastlake elementary in Calistoga Crossing. Water pressure just dropped significantly in the last hour or so.

OKCDrummer77
10-29-2016, 08:42 AM
I just saw on FB that there is a major water main break affecting south OKC from 104th to 164th.

ctchandler
10-29-2016, 10:05 AM
It is impacting areas North of 89th. I just heard on the radio that OCCC is closed for the rest of the day due to water pressure problems.
C. T.

bradh
10-29-2016, 10:58 AM
I bet it's that old Draper line again, you breathe on it wrong and it breaks.

OKCDrummer77
10-29-2016, 11:06 AM
My wife just texted me to say that we have very little pressure. We're off of NW 23rd & Portland, so the problem is moving further north.

KayneMo
10-29-2016, 11:22 AM
I'm at NW 15th and Robinson and my water pressure is lower than usual.

bradh
10-29-2016, 11:34 AM
okc.gov twitter says it's located and isolated.

My work side wants to know size of the line and location.

Easy180
10-29-2016, 03:42 PM
From a friend of mine that has a relative at OKC water dept

It's a 72" main break by Draper. 164th & S Air Depot.

bradh
10-29-2016, 04:27 PM
I knew it, that line is garbage old prestressed concrete pipe, if you ever drive out on the west side of Draper at the city yard you can see old pieces of the line.

Zuplar
10-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Anyone know if this is affecting those of us west of I44? I'm on my way home from Orange Beach Alabama and sure would like to have a shower tonight.

rte66man
10-29-2016, 07:16 PM
I was watering my yard this morning. An OKC Water truck stopped and the driver told me all outdoor watering was banned until further notice. He said it was a valve that broke, not the pipe itself. Although they can cap off the bad section, the repairs will take longer. Apparently, OKC contracts repairs of this size out to private contractors. He would not give a time frame for the repairs.

p.s. This was in the Paseo, but he said it affected all of OKC regardless of the area

bradh
10-29-2016, 08:23 PM
Yep on your more than run of the mill repairs the city lets out emergency bids to private contractors. On this particular line the city has pieces of this pipe on hand (because it breaks a lot) and they bid out the labor to replace the bad section.

SoonerDave
10-30-2016, 07:30 PM
MInor rant on media coverage on this: Even late into Saturday, media seemed to be minimizing this outage as limited to SW 104th to SW 164th. Iknew that was wrong from the word go based on water outages from people I knew lived at and even north of SW 89th, and as far east as Bryant. And it was a lot more than "hundreds" of homes. Maybe because it was Saturday, maybe no one just gave a rip, but it was frustrating this wasn't more *correctly* reported more rapidly. Social media was infinitely more "responsive" if that's the right word.

baralheia
10-31-2016, 11:32 AM
Just to add a data point: We had low water pressure at SW 59th and Santa Fe as well. When service was restored, the water was cloudy due to being full of tiny air bubbles. It's just now starting to clear up finally.

LakeEffect
10-31-2016, 03:11 PM
I was watering my yard this morning. An OKC Water truck stopped and the driver told me all outdoor watering was banned until further notice. He said it was a valve that broke, not the pipe itself. Although they can cap off the bad section, the repairs will take longer. Apparently, OKC contracts repairs of this size out to private contractors. He would not give a time frame for the repairs.

p.s. This was in the Paseo, but he said it affected all of OKC regardless of the area

Were you watering on the wrong day, i.e., do you live at an even-numbered address and it was an odd day of the week? I'd say that could have been separate from Saturday's issue.

LakeEffect
10-31-2016, 03:12 PM
MInor rant on media coverage on this: Even late into Saturday, media seemed to be minimizing this outage as limited to SW 104th to SW 164th. Iknew that was wrong from the word go based on water outages from people I knew lived at and even north of SW 89th, and as far east as Bryant. And it was a lot more than "hundreds" of homes. Maybe because it was Saturday, maybe no one just gave a rip, but it was frustrating this wasn't more *correctly* reported more rapidly. Social media was infinitely more "responsive" if that's the right word.

The initial public information from the city limited the issue to 104th to 164th; could be that the media was just re-reporting what the City said?

baralheia
10-31-2016, 03:22 PM
More water woes today, though I'm not sure how many people were affected (if any) - OG&E crews digging a hole for what I assume to be a new power pole along the E I-240 Service Road, in front of Hudiburg Nissan, ruptured a water main, flooding the service road. When I drove through the area, city crews were there, trying to isolate the break.