View Full Version : Suse Linux 10 Reviewed

okcpulse
10-03-2005, 12:32 AM
I installed SuSE Linux 10 (Novell took away the phrase "Professional" in this version) while I was in Texas on vacation. It looks like Novell finally put together a solid operating system, with more productive applications. As far as apps are concerned, they are the same as in previous releases, only the programs are much improved. The GUI is sleek and improved, as their are some small updates for KDE 3.4. By default, SuSE Linux 10 installs with a resolution of 1200 x 1024, and with a decent wallpaper of an iguana on a branch. There is more integration, and less confusion.

Installing Software

In previous versions, software that came with SuSE Linux was difficult to install, and with the YAST (Yet Another Setup Tool) program, things got downright messy. Installation instructions were even more confusing. If you wanted to run amaroK, the Linux equivalent of Windows Media Player or iTunes, getting the app installed meant thumbing through the stack of Linux disks, running the CD-ROM and crossing your fingers that all the dependency checks cleared.

Simply put, the applications you wanted you couldn't get to, and the applications you didn't deem mission critical were their by default, waiting for you to figure out an excuse to use them. Not in SuSE Linux 10.

In this version, the applications you want are right there, ready for use. Open Office 2 is preinstalled, as well as amaroK and KMix, which you can now use to configure the sound settings of your PC and better utilizes a beefy SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card. Plus, additional applications come with better explanations on how to install them. Running the sh command for the shell script executable file in Konsole (command-line tool) and simply typing the path of the shell script file before hitting enter is all that is needed. Unfortunately, you will still need to know which shell script file to run. When I installed Crossover Office on Linux, the shell script file included the word 'installer'.

The Kaffiene Media Player still cannot player DVD movies, and that is because of ongoing legal issues with the software playing copyrighted films since SuSE Linux is written in Germany. The Linspire Linux operating system does have a DVD player that has DVD playback. However, you must pay $39.99, and it has to be on Linspire 5.0.

My final verdict on SuSE Linux 10? It is a drastic improvement over 9.3, and with a more configurable Control Panel and better integration with the computer hardware makes this Novell operating system well worth installing alongside Windows, and its partitions may continue growing.