View Full Version : Service on gas line in fireplace

Pete
10-17-2016, 05:52 PM
So, the gas line on my 1960's fireplace snapped off as I was trying to change out the burner.

Is the only option to pay a plumber? I suppose this is not something OG&E will fix?

And if a plumber is needed, any recommendations?

TIA.

rezman
10-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Pete, that's not something ONG or OG&E will do. They don't work on pipes or lines in your house or on your side of the meter. If your not a do it yourselfer, it will be a job for a plumber.

Uptowner
10-18-2016, 12:46 AM
Don't mess with it. Just hire a plumber and be glad you did. Copper requires soldering skills. Black pipe requires pipe fitting. I doubt it was iron pipe if it snapped. But if it was and its just iron...you know what. Just hire the plumber :)

Have a flex hose fitting put on it so you can wiggle it around to your hearts desire.

mkjeeves
10-18-2016, 09:04 AM
We've used Mr Rooter a dozen times and have always been happy with the outcome.

kevinpate
10-18-2016, 06:00 PM
Faulty gas line repair can equal dead right there in your sleep and pieces of house and occupants flung around at passerbys and neighbors.

Hire.a.pro.

Yeah, it's important.

Pete
10-25-2016, 03:13 PM
I used Affordable Plumbing after reading the reviews on Yelp.

Were on time, courteous and did a good job.

Only issue is the line was snapped below the masonry on the fireplace, and they had to break out a bunch of bricks to repair. However, I was able to place them back in and then cut a piece of sheet metal to cover, then in turn I covered everything including my new h-burner with fireglass, which was the whole point of this exercise to begin with.

Lesson learned: on older homes there is almost no way to disconnect the old gas fittings in fireplace. Plumber said they encounter too much heat for too long and become brittle. I had tried heating the connections up with a torch but that did nothing.

rezman
10-25-2016, 04:34 PM
That's what's nice about old houses with raised foundations where you can access the gas lines from underneath and feed in a new line. But on a slab house, it can become more of a chore if the line is in concrete or brick as you say.