View Full Version : Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JohnH_in_OKC
10-11-2016, 03:12 PM
Denied: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied (http://kfor.com/2016/10/11/denied-oklahomas-request-for-real-id-act-extension-denied/)
POSTED 4:00 PM, OCTOBER 11, 2016, BY KFOR-TV & K. QUERRY

http://kfor.com/2016/10/11/denied-oklahomas-request-for-real-id-act-extension-denied/

OKLAHOMA CITY – If you live in Oklahoma, you may want to apply for a passport if you plan to travel within the next couple of years.

It’s all part of the Real ID Act, which is a coordinated effort by the states and the federal government to improve the reliability of state issued ID’s.

It’s meant to inhibit terrorists’ ability to get fake ID’s.

However, Oklahoma passed a law in 2007 that said our state wouldn’t comply with the Real ID Act.

Critics said they are concerned about how our information will be stored, but now officials have a new concern.

After several attempts to get the law reversed failed this past legislative session, Oklahomans are now facing a deadline.

On Tuesday, the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety was notified that the State of Oklahoma’s request for an extension to become compliant with the Real ID Act was denied.

Oklahoma is currently operating under a grace period, which ends Jan. 29, 2017.

Beginning on Jan. 30, 2017, federal agencies are prohibited from accepting driver’s licenses and identification cards that were issued by non-compliant states for “official purposes.”

In other words, if you do not have a form of identification that complies with the Real ID Act, you will not be allowed to enter a federal building, facility, military base or courthouse.

Beginning on Jan. 22, 2018, a driver’s license or state ID from a state that is not compliant with the Real ID Act will not be accepted to board a commercial aircraft within the United States.

A handful of state leaders say they were concerned this could happen if the Legislature failed to act in 2016.

“Even if we pass a bill in the 2017 legislative session to address this, we will not have Real ID compliant licenses in the hands of Oklahomans by the time that deadline hits in 2018,” Sen. David Holt said.

A passport or military ID are both considered Real ID compliant and would work to get you on an airplane.

JohnH_in_OKC
10-11-2016, 03:21 PM
In my opinion, it is so important to be Real ID compliant in order to fly on U.S. airlines, enter federal government buildings and Tinker AFB and Fort Sill that Governor Mary Fallin has an obligation to all Oklahomans to immediately call for an emergency session of the state legislature. The legislature could pass a bill requiring all new Oklahoma driver's licenses and state issued ID's be Real ID compliant in probably 2 days. If the legislature is smart, they'll also make all state driver's licenses expire on the driver's birth month in 2017 and not the year listed on the license. I don't think it is wise to delay passing Real ID compliancy until the next legislative session.

Our tag agencies are going to be very busy issuing new driver's licenses to nearly everyone in the next 12 months and issuing new car license plates to all of Oklahoma's registered cars during the next year.

bradh
10-11-2016, 03:38 PM
In other words, if you do not have a form of identification that complies with the Real ID Act, you will not be allowed to enter a federal building, facility, military base or courthouse.

So...anyone called for jury duty has to have a passport or something other than drivers license? Pardon my ignorance if I'm interpreting that wrong, but if so holy ****.

jerrywall
10-11-2016, 04:01 PM
So...anyone called for jury duty has to have a passport or something other than drivers license? Pardon my ignorance if I'm interpreting that wrong, but if so holy ****.

I don't think so, if I'm reading this right... From the FAQ.

REAL ID does NOT apply to the following:

Entering Federal facilities that do not require a person to present identification
Voting or registering to vote
Applying for or receiving Federal benefits
Being licensed by a state to drive
Accessing Health or life preserving services (including hospitals and health clinics), law enforcement, or constitutionally protected activities (including a defendant’s access to court proceedings)
Participating in law enforcement proceedings or investigations

The assumption is that a trial is a "law enforcement proceedings". I could be wrong on that though.

OKCisOK4me
10-11-2016, 04:30 PM
My passport is good for another 7 years so....

jerrywall
10-11-2016, 04:33 PM
I think one of simplest suggestions would be a state tax credit to cover the cost of a passport card. Until they could implement something more permanent.

gopokes88
10-11-2016, 05:21 PM
Lol.

TU 'cane
10-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Oklahoma isn't the only state in this predicament. There's something like 20+ other states who filed for extensions and a few more who aren't compliant either.

I have a passport, so I'm not particularly worried. And it's funny how this is such a big deal and people are mad about it, but yet some people think voters shouldn't have to procure a valid license to vote. Not meaning to derail the thread, but isn't there a certain level of hypocrisy there? A genuine thought.

jerrywall
10-11-2016, 08:49 PM
There is an element of "show your papers" to this, which is probably why there's so much bipartisan support against it.

Urbanized
10-12-2016, 06:01 AM
I recommend going beyond just a passport and adding a passport CARD. It's inexpensive, is the same size of a drivers license and looks a bit like a military ID. That way you don't have to carry a passport booklet with you everywhere.

foodiefan
10-12-2016, 07:31 AM
I recommend going beyond just a passport and adding a passport CARD. It's inexpensive, is the same size of a drivers license and looks a bit like a military ID. That way you don't have to carry a passport booklet with you everywhere.

this. . .!! I did. Just remember. . .it can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from: Canada. Mexico. Still a really great option for "daily carry".

gopokes88
10-12-2016, 07:51 AM

Global entry works great too, includes TSA precheck, expedited customs, is good for 5 years and a few credit cards will even pay for it. Otherwise it's $100 for 5 years.

SoonerDave
10-12-2016, 07:59 AM
There is an element of "show your papers" to this, which is probably why there's so much bipartisan support against it.

Bingo. The problem is in the federal mandate, not in the states fighting it. But it's being framed as a state problem.

bradh
10-12-2016, 08:18 AM
Global entry works great too, includes TSA precheck, expedited customs, is good for 5 years and a few credit cards will even pay for it. Otherwise it's $100 for 5 years.

Is Global Entry available to everyone now? I was under the impression you had to fly so many miles a year to qualify.

LakeEffect
10-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Is Global Entry available to everyone now? I was under the impression you had to fly so many miles a year to qualify.

Open to anyone who wants to pay the fee and apply.

pure
10-12-2016, 09:20 AM
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, like on the commercial aviation threads, but could this cause airlines to leave or cut service to OK airports?

jerrywall
10-12-2016, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, like on the commercial aviation threads, but could this cause airlines to leave or cut service to OK airports?

I can't imagine. Unless they cut to the services to the other 32 states/territories that are non compliant. Probably not good for business.

HangryHippo
10-12-2016, 09:25 AM

No mileage requirements that I'm aware of.

aDark
10-12-2016, 09:32 AM

I am assuming the news article fails to clarify that lacking a compliant ID would prevent you from entering Federal Courthouses. So, those called to jury duty at a state court, like Oklahoma County, will not be handled any differently.

gopokes88
10-12-2016, 10:12 AM

Open to everyone. Amex platinum and chase sapphire reserve (which has a 100k point bonus sign up right now) will both pay for it.

jerrywall
10-12-2016, 10:19 AM
It should be pointed out also that a passport card is at this point cheaper than Oklahoma's driver's licenses.

checkthat
10-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Oklahoma isn't the only state in this predicament. There's something like 20+ other states who filed for extensions and a few more who aren't compliant either.

I have a passport, so I'm not particularly worried. And it's funny how this is such a big deal and people are mad about it, but yet some people think voters shouldn't have to procure a valid license to vote. Not meaning to derail the thread, but isn't there a certain level of hypocrisy there? A genuine thought.

The hipocricy is that the states that insist on restricting the type of IDs that are acceptable to vote are the same state's that refuse to comply with this 11 year old law on the basis that it is an undue burden.

RadicalModerate
10-12-2016, 10:37 AM
Just a little food for thought regarding this issue and the timelines involved . . . I wonder why the dates don't match up.
(and none of this addresses Federal facility access . . . still, I'm wondering about the timetable quoted.)

(Copied Directly from the Department of Homeland Security website):

Rumor: I need a passport to fly domestically

Fact: Until January 2018, if traveling by air, residents from ANY state are still able to use a driver’s license, or any of the various other forms of identification accepted by the Transportation Security Administration (Passport or Passport Card, Global Entry cards, U.S. military IDs, airline or airport-issued IDs, federally recognized, and tribal-issued photo IDs. See the full list on the TSA website.)

Effective January 22, 2018, if you have a driver’s license or identification card issued by a state that does not meet the requirements of the REAL ID Act, unless that state has been granted an extension, you must present an alternative form of identification acceptable to TSA in order to board a commercial domestic flight.

Starting October 1, 2020, every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel.

Rumor: TSA isn't going to accept my driver's license starting on January 1, 2016

Fact: TSA will continue to accept driver’s licenses issued by all states through January 2018 and, then, will continue to accept licenses from all compliant states or noncompliant states with an extension.

(Copied Directly from the Oklahoma Department of Transportation website):

Can I use my Oklahoma driver license or ID card to board an aircraft?

Yes. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will continue to accept driver's licenses and state-issued identification cards from all jurisdictions at least until January 22, 2018.

On January 8, 2016, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced the following timetable for the implementation of the REAL ID Act for air travel:
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, the Department of Homeland Security will conduct outreach to educate the traveling public about the timeline below, and continue engagements with states to encourage compliance with REAL ID standards.

STARTING JULY 15, 2016, TSA, in coordination with airlines and airport stakeholders, will begin to issue web-based advisories and notifications to the traveling public.

STARTING DECEMBER 15, 2016, TSA will expand outreach at its airport checkpoints through signage, handouts, and other methods.

STARTING JANUARY 22, 2018, passengers with a driver's license issued by a state that is still not compliant with the REAL ID Act (and has not been granted an extension) will need to show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel to board their flight. To check whether your state is compliant or has an extension, click here. Passengers with driver's licenses issued by a state that is compliant with REAL ID (or a state that has been issued an extension) will still be able to use their driver's licenses or identification cards.

STARTING OCTOBER 1, 2020, every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel.

This timetable recognizes that some states must change their laws to comply with the REAL ID Act. IT is also designed to provide an opportunity for members of the public to learn more about the implications of not having a REAL ID-compliant license, and so that individuals have an ample opportunity to replace their pre-REAL ID licenses with new compliant licenses or to obtain another acceptable form of identification.

jerrywall
10-12-2016, 10:50 AM
The hipocricy is that the states that insist on restricting the type of IDs that are acceptable to vote are the same state's that refuse to comply with this 11 year old law on the basis that it is an undue burden.

30 or so states/territories aren't in compliance. I'd love to see that match up to the states that require some sort of voter IDs (New York isn't in compliance for example). Oklahoma takes their ID for voting, or even a free voter ID card which has no picture. Seems like less of a burden than a photo ID that contains your full legal name and birth date, a valid birth certificate, a social security number, and proof of legal U.S. citizenship (and that's just to get a real ID).

jerrywall
10-12-2016, 10:54 AM
If anyone is curious... non complaint states... (may have extensions or be under review)

Am.Samoa
Alaska
Arkansas
California
Guam
Idaho
Illinois
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Montana
N. Marianas
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
N. Carolina
N. Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Puerto Rico
Rhode Island
S. Carolina
Texas
Virginia
Virgin Islands
Washington

This isn't a right/left issue. Let's leave that to the politics forum.

David
10-12-2016, 12:12 PM
I think I'm going to look into the passport card option. Kind of annoying since I only fly about once a year or so, but what can you do.

Stew
10-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Perhaps the governor could set aside a day for us to pray for an extension.

Rover
10-13-2016, 08:31 AM
This is just one more example of an ignorant legislature having their ill conceived laws overturned. Their record is abysmal and we should be tired of their stupidity. Vote them out and get legislators who actually understand what their real responsibilities are. Their loyalty should be to Oklahomans and not the tea party nonsense.

We should all be tired of being identified on a national stage by these backward hicks.

jerrywall
10-13-2016, 09:24 AM
This is just one more example of an ignorant legislature having their ill conceived laws overturned. Their record is abysmal and we should be tired of their stupidity. Vote them out and get legislators who actually understand what their real responsibilities are. Their loyalty should be to Oklahomans and not the tea party nonsense.

We should all be tired of being identified on a national stage by these backward hicks.

I'm pretty sure everyone who voted that law back in 2007 is out of office. And hey, considering we're in the company of states like California and New York (plus 30 or so others) I'd say we're in pretty decent company.

Rover
10-13-2016, 10:00 AM
I'm pretty sure everyone who voted that law back in 2007 is out of office. And hey, considering we're in the company of states like California and New York (plus 30 or so others) I'd say we're in pretty decent company.

No, we still have plenty of tea partiers still trying to instill their personal desires on the rest of us, regardless of the illegality. We keep paying to defend the indefensible created by the tea party... the same ones defending Trump. Guess family values don't matter as much as power and the possibility of trying to impose your personal ideas on others. Our legislature purports to support the constitution, but only support THEIR view of the constitution. It's like choosing select bits of the Bible to support a narrow interpretation and hoping the general audience isn't smart enough to know how it is out of context. The tea party is severely damaging our state.

jerrywall
10-13-2016, 10:10 AM
No, we still have plenty of tea partiers still trying to instill their personal desires on the rest of us, regardless of the illegality. We keep paying to defend the indefensible created by the tea party... the same ones defending Trump. Guess family values don't matter as much as power and the possibility of trying to impose your personal ideas on others. Our legislature purports to support the constitution, but only support THEIR view of the constitution. It's like choosing select bits of the Bible to support a narrow interpretation and hoping the general audience isn't smart enough to know how it is out of context. The tea party is severely damaging our state.

Take that to the politics forum. None of that has anything to do with the wide spread, and bipartisan opposition to the Real ID Act. Read the ACLU's position on it, as well as many other groups. This doesn't belong here.

jerrywall
10-13-2016, 10:15 AM
I'll even make it easy..

https://www.aclu.org/issues/privacy-technology/national-id/real-id

Because of these problems, many states oppose the use of Real ID, and it has not gone into full effect. The ACLU has joined with these states to support the repeal of the law.

Rover
10-13-2016, 10:22 AM
Take that to the politics forum. None of that has anything to do with the wide spread, and bipartisan opposition to the Real ID Act. Read the ACLU's position on it, as well as many other groups. This doesn't belong here.

This thread is about this action and our legislature once again being on the wrong side...the side backed by the tea party, including its libertarian sect. We have had a long time to actually find a way to compromise and we don't even do that until forced to do it. We have a backwoods sense of arrogance in this state.

TU 'cane
10-13-2016, 11:36 AM
This thread is about this action and our legislature once again being on the wrong side...the side backed by the tea party, including its libertarian sect. We have had a long time to actually find a way to compromise and we don't even do that until forced to do it. We have a backwoods sense of arrogance in this state.

And it must be stressed again that Oklahoma is NOT the only state in this situation, as much as it may bother some of you to think otherwise. And again, there are viable solutions for people who may find themselves in a situation. So, the sky is not falling.
And as someone who knew/knows several of the heavy hitters from the grassroots who helped defeat REAL ID back in 2005, your comments are cheap insults and not worth another word.

I hadn't made any follow up comments since jerry's well placed request to move any specific opinions to the politics section but your last two posts have been a little off the mark.

MadMonk
10-13-2016, 11:45 AM
I'll even make it easy..

https://www.aclu.org/issues/privacy-technology/national-id/real-id
Even easier:

The Real ID Act of 2005 requires states to standardize driver’s licenses across the nation into a single national identity card and database. While it is ostensibly aimed at improving driver’s license security, its actual effect is to turn those same licenses into national ID cards by stipulating that state driver’s licenses and state ID cards will not be accepted for “federal purposes”—including boarding an aircraft or entering a federal facility—unless they meet all of the law’s numerous conditions.

If fully implemented, the law would facilitate the tracking of data on individuals and bring government into the very center of every citizen’s life. By definitively turning driver’s licenses into a form of national identity documents, Real ID would have a tremendously destructive impact on privacy. It would also impose significant administrative burdens and expenses on state governments, and it would mean higher fees, longer lines, repeat visits to the DMV, and bureaucratic nightmares for individuals.

Because of these problems, many states oppose the use of Real ID, and it has not gone into full effect. The ACLU has joined with these states to support the repeal of the law.

Thomas Vu
10-13-2016, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the heads up on chase sapphire covering it.

traxx
10-13-2016, 12:38 PM
This reeks of Big Brother. It would have all data that says you are you stored on it. Not only that but the information would probably also be stored on servers somewhere. That will make it easier for people's identity to be stolen because the information will inevitably be hacked. And if you think that just because it's on a government server that it's safe, think again.

catch22
10-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Guess I'll have to get a Colorado license soon...

bombermwc
10-14-2016, 07:28 AM
Like it or not, Big Brother or not, it's happening. So we can either piss and moan about it and all go out and get passports to fly through freaking DFW, or we can get off our assbackward butts in the legislature and get this fixed. I've got a passport already, so i dont give a crap. But after more than 10 years, the feds haven't change anything and we're still in the same spot. No one is going to win/lose an election on this...we care more about the upcoming alcohol bill than this. So get off it and make our licenses work guys.....

traxx
10-14-2016, 09:58 AM
or we can get off our assbackward butts in the legislature and get this fixed
Did you just come in and post this or did you bother reading the thread?

It's not an Oklahoma thing, it's not a left/right thing, it's not an OK legislature thing. There's only about 15 states in the union that are in compliance. The vast majority of the country is out of compliance with it because they don't agree with it. The tea partiers don't like it and the ACLU doesn't like it. How many times are those two on the same side of an argument?

baralheia
10-14-2016, 10:40 AM
This reeks of Big Brother. It would have all data that says you are you stored on it. Not only that but the information would probably also be stored on servers somewhere. That will make it easier for people's identity to be stolen because the information will inevitably be hacked. And if you think that just because it's on a government server that it's safe, think again.

You do realize that practically all states already do this, right? Driver's license data is already stored on government servers, and it's been this way for years. The only difference is right now it's on state government servers.

Bill Robertson
10-14-2016, 11:47 AM
This reeks of Big Brother. It would have all data that says you are you stored on it. Not only that but the information would probably also be stored on servers somewhere. That will make it easier for people's identity to be stolen because the information will inevitably be hacked. And if you think that just because it's on a government server that it's safe, think again.If you have a drivers license, pay taxes and have any kind of credit everything about you is aleady on several servers all over the place.

catch22
10-14-2016, 12:00 PM
If you have a drivers license, pay taxes and have any kind of credit everything about you is aleady on several servers all over the place.

Or even have a bank account. Banks share your banking history details to bank report companies that operate similar to credit report bureaus. There's no reasonable expectation of privacy in any form today.

jerrywall
10-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Any concerns over this shouldn't be storage of information on servers. That's out there. IMO there are 3 areas of concern -

1. The potential for a future requirement of RFID or similar technology. Right now the Real ID act is ambiguous on what technology has to be included on the card that contains your info. So while it currently allows magnetic strips, that could change one day. I dislike the idea that all my personal information could be on a device that could be access at a short distance (say logging me automatically when I walk through a door - or by a police officer without my permission).

2. The cost to the state to implement. There is a much higher verification requirement and validation that must be done by states to issue real ID certified ID's, and there's going to be an expense.

3. The additional paperwork/PITA for lots of folks, finding all the required documents they need to get to a real ID. Since I've always renewed my DL on time, I haven't had to locate most of the required paperwork I'd need for a Real ID in about 20+ years.

Something that could be seen as a benefit or a consequence, depending on ones personal views - the Real ID act could severely impact illegal residents.

traxx
10-14-2016, 01:58 PM
You do realize that practically all states already do this, right? Driver's license data is already stored on government servers, and it's been this way for years. The only difference is right now it's on state government servers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that your SSN is store on your driver's license. A real id would put all of this information in one place making it incredibly easy for hackers to have all the information they need on several million people. It would be a one stop shop for hackers.

jerrywall
10-14-2016, 02:04 PM
The real ID has to contain the following information -

Full legal name
Signature
Date of birth
Unique identifying number (so like the driver's license number)
Principal residence address
Front-facing photograph of the applicant

However, to get a real ID you have to provide the following documents -

A photo ID, or a non-photo ID that includes full legal name and birthdate
Documentation of birth date
Documentation of legal status and Social Security number
Documentation showing name and principal residence address

Digital images of each of those have to be stored at the state DMV database.

baralheia
10-14-2016, 03:44 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that your SSN is store on your driver's license. A real id would put all of this information in one place making it incredibly easy for hackers to have all the information they need on several million people. It would be a one stop shop for hackers.

You're correct - my reply was perhaps too hasty. My intent was to convey that all of the data that your driver's license currently displays is also stored digitally, both in the PDF417 barcode on the back of the license, and on state government servers. (Exception: the PDF417 barcode does not encode your signature or picture; those are stored by the State, however)

Uptowner
10-19-2016, 01:02 AM
Sweet gorilla of Manila,

So the point is: the federal govt. won't let you fly or enter their property without a passport or a compliant state ID. You bicker back and forth all you want about big brother. But the fact is ALL PASSPORTS have had RFID chips with all your information on them for quite some time. I remember I was issued one of the last old coded books back around '04 or '05. Now they all have the rigid covers and the chip embedded. The passport cards come equipped as well with a magnetically shielded sleeve to protect it from being read against your will or otherwise tamped with. Those are good for travel anywhere in US, Canada, and Mexico.

Sooo, why are you arguing? You'll need big brother in your pocket to fly, either in the form of a passport or compliance state ID, or just take the bus with a cash ticket and your tin foil hat. Personally I don't mind carrying the passport card. I can just snag it when I fly. I say that now, but the first time I forget to bring it to the airport. I will be @&$!ing livid.

It costs $50 when renewing your passport FYI. Not a lot of mo st when I bought it to travel to Mexico and Canada and not risk losing my real passport book. But if I had to shell $50 to fly domestic because my $25 state ID wasn't compliant and my state had 9 years to fix the issue...yeah I'd be pissed. And I sure as heck don't want to risk losing my passport book. Lose a few of those and you'll find yourself on a special list when traveling.

So I guess you gotta ask yourself. Do you want to carry a card that has shared info on it (far less info that any teller at your bank could write on a post it when you phone in to access your account, hello, Wells Fargo??) all the time? or just when you fly? Because that passport information goes through every database there is, and every country you visit. And are you gonna be mad when you miss your plane because you forgot to bring that other card that you had to pay $50 and wait 6 weeks for? Wait how many states don't have IDs? Let's make that 32 weeks wait.

It feels like another case of states acting like brat kids organizing a senior ditch day. They must figure if enough states opt out that the federal government will be forced to push back the deadlines or ditch the program all together. And in the end the fed wins and the Oklahoma citizens end up paying the costs.

I think the anti-big government, right wing hard liners have to look at the silver lining here. This will make it even harder for minorities to vote!! Burn! was this not supposed to get political? That was a funny, no but seriously, joke!

bombermwc
10-19-2016, 07:17 AM
Did you just come in and post this or did you bother reading the thread?

It's not an Oklahoma thing, it's not a left/right thing, it's not an OK legislature thing. There's only about 15 states in the union that are in compliance. The vast majority of the country is out of compliance with it because they don't agree with it. The tea partiers don't like it and the ACLU doesn't like it. How many times are those two on the same side of an argument?

No i did not just join this, i've been watching for some time now. Yes i know that several states are arguing against it as well. Fat lot of good its done too. About half of the original "complainers" already switched over to compliance. There are several that are pending action that will cause them to go INTO compliance as well. So the list you see of 15-20 states is not as long as you think it is. Most of this is about the back end, not the actual license itself. We are one of the few places that actually put a law on our books to prevent us from going compliant.....that's ass backwards and an exercise in wasted time. There are some things that simply are not state rights, and for good reason. This is one of them.

The ACLU does a great job of voicing concern on all kinds of things. Sometimes they take things to a ridiculous level so just by saying they are involved in fighting it, does not make me magically agree with them. On this one, i am in total disagreement.

But thanks for showing that you are full of your own opinions and love to discount others without any knowledge of what they know.....nice.

jn1780
10-19-2016, 10:11 AM
The real ID has to contain the following information -

Full legal name
Signature
Date of birth
Unique identifying number (so like the driver's license number)
Principal residence address
Front-facing photograph of the applicant

However, to get a real ID you have to provide the following documents -

A photo ID, or a non-photo ID that includes full legal name and birthdate
Documentation of birth date
Documentation of legal status and Social Security number
Documentation showing name and principal residence address

Digital images of each of those have to be stored at the state DMV database.

Might as well stick to a passport card that lasts for 10 years vs a drivers licence that last for four years and its pretty easy to renew a passport. Do you have to provide all that documentation the first time you get a real ID or is that every time you renew. It will be pretty ridiculous if it is easier to renew a passport than it is a real id DL every 4 years.

The cost of having to upgrade the IT infrastructure is the main reason Oklahoma hasn't adopted Real ID. A DL will cost more than 25 dollars once Oklahoma goes to Real ID.

Bunty
10-19-2016, 10:58 AM

A recent SoonerPoll helps prove you right. A majority of conservatives, the people who rule Oklahoma, believe Oklahoma has been going in the right direction. Rural people are more likely to think the state has been going in the right direction than OKC and Tulsa area people. When everybody is included in the poll only a small majority believe that Oklahoma is going in the wrong direction. There is a large amount of difference between how conservatives feel and everybody else. The poll goes to help explain why Oklahoma is the way it is. Yes, hopefully, at least a few conservative legislators can be voted out in Nov., especially the far right Christian ones. But keep those legislators in, and they will think they must have been doing something right all along, such as opposing Real ID. So will keep coming up with and voting for bad, sometimes unconstitutional bills.

http://soonerpoll.com/news9newson6-are-state-leaders-taking-oklahoma-in-the-right-direction/

Bunty
10-19-2016, 11:11 AM

Then this topic should have started in the politics forum.

stile99
10-19-2016, 11:30 AM
The cost of having to upgrade the IT infrastructure is the main reason Oklahoma hasn't adopted Real ID.

That simply isn't true. Real ID was being discussed when Oklahoma installed the first digital driver's license system over a decade ago, a system which has been upgraded at least once since. There were news reports at that time that changes were coming to DL requirements, and Oklahoma specifically made the choice to ignore it. Twice. Once after it was no longer in the discussion phase, but actual law on the books phase. We can debate privacy issues, we can debate identity protection issues, we can debate whatever we want until the cows come home, but what is not up for debate is the fact that Oklahoma has had more than enough time and opportunity to become compliant, and the reason it is going to be a huge cost now is because Oklahoma has refused to do it until it is simply too late.

Is it a bad law? Maybe. Does ignoring bad laws make them go away? Absolutely not. Oklahoma should have learned that better than anyone else. The main reason Oklahoma hasn't adopted Real ID is absolutely not the cost of upgrading the infrastructure if Oklahoma has already spent those costs TWICE. Add to that the infrastructure is already there. Your photo, your fingerprints, your other information, all already stored.

jerrywall
10-19-2016, 12:32 PM

No... if someone wants to talk about the state of Oklahoma politics and not the real id, they can start a thread there.

jerrywall
10-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Might as well stick to a passport card that lasts for 10 years vs a drivers licence that last for four years and its pretty easy to renew a passport. Do you have to provide all that documentation the first time you get a real ID or is that every time you renew. It will be pretty ridiculous if it is easier to renew a passport than it is a real id DL every 4 years.

I would assume you would only need to go through that process once, assuming you renewed on a timely basis (as it works now).

ctchandler
10-19-2016, 05:50 PM

Bunty,
This is not a place for political comments. The subject can be discussed without getting into politics. You can start the same thread name in the political section, your political comments don't belong here! Your comments are welcome otherwise. Not trying to be argumentative, just my opinion.
C. T.
ps. Sorry, I just noticed Jerrywall's comment that pretty much says what I said.

traxx
10-19-2016, 08:58 PM
Bunty,
This is not a place for political comments. The subject can be discussed without getting into politics. You can start the same thread name in the political section, your political comments don't belong here! Your comments are welcome otherwise. Not trying to be argumentative, just my opinion.
C. T.
ps. Sorry, I just noticed Jerrywall's comment that pretty much says what I said.
Agree.

It's getting to where you can hardly open a thread on here without someone saying how stupid our government is or how dumb the people at 23rd and Lincoln are. So many of these threads can be discussed without bringing politics into it.

bombermwc
10-22-2016, 08:24 AM
That simply isn't true. Real ID was being discussed when Oklahoma installed the first digital driver's license system over a decade ago, a system which has been upgraded at least once since. There were news reports at that time that changes were coming to DL requirements, and Oklahoma specifically made the choice to ignore it. Twice. Once after it was no longer in the discussion phase, but actual law on the books phase. We can debate privacy issues, we can debate identity protection issues, we can debate whatever we want until the cows come home, but what is not up for debate is the fact that Oklahoma has had more than enough time and opportunity to become compliant, and the reason it is going to be a huge cost now is because Oklahoma has refused to do it until it is simply too late.

Is it a bad law? Maybe. Does ignoring bad laws make them go away? Absolutely not. Oklahoma should have learned that better than anyone else. The main reason Oklahoma hasn't adopted Real ID is absolutely not the cost of upgrading the infrastructure if Oklahoma has already spent those costs TWICE. Add to that the infrastructure is already there. Your photo, your fingerprints, your other information, all already stored.

In total agreement here.

Rover
10-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Agree.

It's getting to where you can hardly open a thread on here without someone saying how stupid our government is or how dumb the people at 23rd and Lincoln are. So many of these threads can be discussed without bringing politics into it.

But, it was the stupidity of the tea party at 23 and Lincoln who have fought this and lost again. This is about their paranoia of a one world order that signals the beginning of the end. Their thread is about the results of that paranoid interpretation.

jerrywall
10-22-2016, 09:37 PM
But, it was the stupidity of the tea party at 23 and Lincoln who have fought this and lost again. This is about their paranoia of a one world order that signals the beginning of the end. Their thread is about the results of that paranoid interpretation.

You mean years before the tea party existed, opposing a Bush law, lead by Democrats and the ACLU, and signed into law by Brad Henry? How cute. But let's keep politicizing everything. Want to guess how many Republican bills were proposed to fix this vs Democratic bills? Or how the votes broke down?