View Full Version : Ps vue / sling tv experience in OKC?

Relentless85
10-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum. Usually just read posts but I have a question for everyone.

Does anyone have experience with ps vue service or sling tv service here in OKC? I am looking to cut our cable bill because it is just ridiculous what we pay for the amount of tv we watch. We currently have AT&T U-verse with dvr and wireless receiver and 18 meg internet. With in the last 6 months I find myself steaming more through our amazon fire tv with kodi. However, I have not found any good add-ons for streaming live tv or sports.

One package with ps vue says it comes with ESPN and the regional fox networks. I want to save money but don't want to loose the ability to watch thunder games or College football games.

Looking for advice or experience from people who have or had ps vue or sling tv.

Thanks,

Josh

sooner88
10-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Hello, I am new to this forum. Usually just read posts but I have a question for everyone.

Does anyone have experience with ps vue service or sling tv service here in OKC? I am looking to cut our cable bill because it is just ridiculous what we pay for the amount of tv we watch. We currently have AT&T U-verse with dvr and wireless receiver and 18 meg internet. With in the last 6 months I find myself steaming more through our amazon fire tv with kodi. However, I have not found any good add-ons for streaming live tv or sports.

One package with ps vue says it comes with ESPN and the regional fox networks. I want to save money but don't want to loose the ability to watch thunder games or College football games.

Looking for advice or experience from people who have or had ps vue or sling tv.

Thanks,

Josh

I recently subscribed to Sling TV through my Amazon Firestick so I could get NFL Red Zone, as well other sport channels. Once the NBA season starts I'll have access to Fox Sports SW for all the Thunder games. I haven't had it long, but so far I've really enjoyed it. I'm paying $35 for my subscription, and that includes a lot of channels that I haven't looked into yet. I looked into sportsdevil or other sports apps through Kodi, but I couldn't find anything that was reliable. I highly recommend Sling.

jerrywall
10-07-2016, 08:25 AM
VUE performed better (from a buffering streaming standpoint) for me, but their interface sucks, and the viewing guide is pretty much non existent. Terrible experience from that standpoint. Sling had lots of buffering/pausing (again, for me, YMMV) but their guide is at least usable.

A suggestion I'm certainly not going to make... if you have a chromecast or an xbox or a roku or something similar, and know someone who has ESPN and Fox Sports, is to have them authorize your device and let you stream. That would be wrong... *cough*

Bullbear
10-07-2016, 08:53 AM
I have Sports devil add on for my Kodi and its worked well for live sports. I've found for thunder games if I stream from a European stream there is less traffic and better quality.

barrettd
10-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Don't forget, if you subscribe to Sling or PS Vue, you can use those credentials for your Roku/Amazon Fire ESPN app.

I found PS Vue much better on my Amazon Fire TV than SLing. The Sling On Demand stuff was pretty much unusable. Additionally, for the money, PS Vue offered more channels. I don't believe PSVue has the locals live yet, but I might get back on when it does. As for now I use Kodi and a variety of streaming services to fill all the gaps.

Relentless85
10-07-2016, 03:26 PM
What internet speed are you guys running? I have 18meg from AT&T U-verse right now and i have not really had any issues with steaming using my amazon fire tv and kodi. Reason I am asking, cox is going door to door in our neighborhood trying to get people to switch back to cox. I would switch back to cox for their internet if I could get them to lock the price for the 50 meg internet at the price I am paying for 18 meg through AT&T with is about 65
bucks per month after the $7 per mont "high speed internet equipment fee".....

As for local channels, I will probably look for a good OTA antenna. I just don't want to loose the ability to watch thunder games and college football, specifically OK State games. PS vue says it has fox sports and the regional fox sports now, which I would think would be fox sports sw, along with fs1 and Espn. I like the idea of the DVD feature on the ps vue too.

barrettd
10-09-2016, 05:21 AM
I'm paying $75 for 150mb service from Cox and my experience with the Internet service has been very good.

JohnH_in_OKC
10-09-2016, 09:54 AM
I have PS Vue streaming service (https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/). My bedroom TV uses an Amazon Fire TV Box and my living room TV uses a Roku 3 box. Both can connect simultaneously to PS Vue and watch 2 different programs without a problem. I am using Cox preferred Internet service.

When I want to watch the programming of Fox Sports Oklahoma, I connect to Fox Sports Go on my Fire TV box & select the Fox Sports Oklahoma program (or any of about 3-6 other live Fox Sports TV programs). I had to set up Fox Sports Go to recognize my membership to PS Vue before Fox Sports Go would show my Fox Sports Oklahoma programming. I have also noticed that about once a week, I have to reactivate my connection to Fox Sports Go confirming my PS Vue membership.

When I want to record a program for watching later on my PS Vue, I click on the channel button, find and select the program I want to record, and select the heart icon in the upper right hand corner. PS Vue will save that program (and subsequent programs if the program has new content). I read that the programs will save for up to 30 days unless you select to erase that program (which is just a duplication of selecting a program but removing the highlight on the heart icon). Note: This method of recording does not allow me to record OTA broadcast programs like a cable DVR. However, PS Vue does allow you to watch on demand programs from ABC, Fox and NBC which are posted 24 hours after broadcast on these 3 networks.

I am enjoying all the sports & news & movies (70+ Channels) I that I get with the Core package for only $34.99. PS Vue also offers a 55+ Channel lineup for $29.99 (which excludes some of the sports channels I watch). PS Vue also offers an Elite package including EPIX and Chiller movie channels and additional children's channels (100+ channels) for $44.99. They have recently added an Ultra channel option which adds Showtime and HBO (100+ channels) to the Elite package for $64.99. There are no taxes on any of the streaming services.

The $34.99 Core package is the best value for the dollar for my TV habit. Cox has recently offered me a $40 option for its new Contour service including a DVR, but requires an installation fee from Cox plus added taxes for cable services. I don't know if all the sports channels which I'm interested in would be included or if there would be an additional cost for ESPN news and ESPNU like my previous Cox cable charges without Contour.

For the person who didn't find a viable channel guide, just aim your pointer to the top left of the PS view menu page & click on the icon that looks like a radio. When highlighted, the word Guide comes to the forefront & click on that. You can select programs from the listed guide of programs. If you select some channels to be your favorites, those will appear first in the guide allowing you a quick way to change channels. The channel guide lists the program name and sometimes a brief description. I use Titan TV (http://titantv.com/) for a better channel guide which I automatically load on my computer's browser. I load views of Playstation Vue, OKC broadcast TV and Cox OKC TV to select from on my Titan TV channel selection bar in the top middle screen. Note: This morning (Sunday 10-9) Fire TV announced a quick way to access the Playstation Vue menu by clicking on the 3 bar button on the Fire TV remote for a couple of seconds (you must have already clicked on the Playstation Vue icon).

Here's a link to PS Vue: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/
and here's a link to Titan TV: http://titantv.com/

Architect2010
10-09-2016, 10:55 AM
We also use PSVue in our home. We experience very few to almost no service interruptions when using Vue. Cox is our internet provider, but I do not know our connection speed package.

I absolutely love Vue, for it's price and the amount of channels and features it allows. I also have the Core package for $34.99 that comes with 70+ channels. Its interface is definitely a bit clunky, but it'll be updated some point down the road. Someone earlier mentioned they don't have a viewing guide or that it's nonexistent, but they in fact have an entire guide you can access by the press of a button. You can go several days back and forward on the view guide (you can "catchup" on shows that allow it this way), it always defaults you to the shows currently playing live, and you are able to select any show from the guide to DVR or add to "My Shows".

Alternatively to the viewing guide, you can sort by networks, channels, and by adding series to "My Shows", which is always a dedicated tab. There is also a search feature I use every now and then.

John1744
10-09-2016, 11:44 AM
We also are looking to cut our DirecTV bill as when we started it was $60/month and has over 4 years shot up to $110/month. So we did the PS Vue trial for a week and we were pretty impressed. I've read from the Vue subreddit that the PS4/Amazon Fire TV box are by far the best experience for it. And we used our PS4 and it was pretty great, it was a little tricky to get the handle of when we first started it up. The guide may not be quite as intuitive as a traditional cable box guide. I've heard the PS3/Amazon Fire Stick/Roku experiences aren't as good because the devices are limited in RAM.

The perks of it I'm looking forward to when we switch is being able to use up to five devices at once, including iPad and iPhones. I really liked how easy it was to chromecast from the phone to the bedroom TV.

I think I'm going to pay for a month of PS Vue and unplug all our DirecTV boxes from the TV's and see how well it works when we can't use DirecTV and then decide to make the switch or not. I'll report back if we make the switch!

JohnH_in_OKC
10-09-2016, 05:13 PM
From the FAQs section of Playstation Vue:
"With PlayStation™Vue on Roku, you’ll be able to watch the same great shows and movies, live, on-demand, or via My Shows, right on your Roku streaming device. Many of your favorite PlayStation™Vue features have been tailored for Roku, like My Shows, Favorite Channels, Featured and Recommended content, and Search. Some features, like Guide and Explore, are not currently available on Roku devices.
The ability to purchase, adjust, or cancel your PlayStation™Vue subscription is not currently available on Roku devices."

So my suggestion on using the Playstation Vue channel guide is NOT available for ROKU devices. But if you have a computer nearby your TV, you can use the Titan TV channel guide which includes the Playstation Vue channels under "over the top devices".

Relentless85
10-10-2016, 11:58 AM
So l am trying to get clarification on this. I am looking at the $34.99 package from PS Vue, it says the package comes with the ESPN channels and Fox Networks. Are the ESPN channels and the fox network channels live or are they just sort of an on demand? I want to be able to watch thunder games live and OSU games live through fox networks or ESPN when they come on.

jerrywall
10-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Live.

jerrywall
10-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Oh, should also mention, depending on who your internet provider is, you may have access to Fox Sports for free. I have uverse (internet only) and get access to the fox sports go app on my phone, where I can cast to the TV. I think I can get ESPN as well but haven't tried.

Relentless85
11-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Well.... I tried the 7 day free trial of PS Vue with the elite slim package. I think the service is good, I loaded it on my 2 Amazon Fire TV's and It worked OK. I noticed when i was trying to watch college football on ESPN, the picture would freeze, as if it was buffering. I thought this was due to our slower 18Mbps internet speed from AT&T. So, today I decided to cancel AT&T uverse TV and just go with Internet. I called AT&T, told them I wanted to cancel u-verse tv and upgrade our internet to 45 Mbps. Long story short, AT&T gave me the run around, saying that I would experience data caps now with just electing to go with internet. Then the rep told me that the price was going to $89.99 for the 45Mbps stand alone plan or I could get u-verse basic tv (which just has local channels and access to ppv) and 45 Mbps without a data cap for $83 bucks per month. Going with this option would still keep my bill around $130 per month:mad: They would not even budge on the price for just the internet option, even when I told the rep that Cox was offering me 50Mbps internet for a lower price for 2 years.

After calling AT&T I called cox and got the run around from them too. Rep said the prices that the door to door salesman gave me were for if you purchase your own cox approved modem and wireless router. Also there would be a $75 install fee for cox to come out to install it. Then the cox rep gave me the option of purchasing their contour flex package with just gives you locals, access to ppv and waives the $75 install fee all for $89.99 per month. So closer to $140 bucks per month just for internet from cox and ps vue. :mad:

Lastly, I called AT&T back, they offered me a Directv package and uverse internet for a cheaper price than just going with ps vue and internet. Supposed to be price locked for 2 years...... guess we will see.

I really wish this ps vue and a stand alone internet package would have worked out. I think the ps vue is a decent deal if you get fast enough internet.

I think that cox and AT&T are realizing that more and more people are streaming and making it difficult on customers to just have a stand alone internet package that is affordable:mad:.

Bobby821
11-07-2016, 08:58 PM
I pay 59.99 per month to Cox for just internet only I have the Premier tier of service which is 150mbps down and 1TB of bandwidth before reaching the data cap per month. I have PlayStation Vue and have no issues. I own my own modem and router and maintain my own lines with Cox.

MagzOK
11-08-2016, 11:28 AM
My experience with Sling was that when I wanted to watch a show that was high in demand the show would freeze and I'd have to exit Sling and go back in. This happened on college football games on ESPN and also watching The Walking Dead on AMC. Other shows I didn't notice any issues. But after a few games I had to do this over and over and then when I started having the same problem with TWD, I cancelled and went back to feeding the cable pig. Yes I'm paying a little more, but no problems with any shows. I'd really like for Sling to work out, but to me it's just not ready.

Thomas Vu
11-08-2016, 03:24 PM
Well.... I tried the 7 day free trial of PS Vue with the elite slim package. I think the service is good, I loaded it on my 2 Amazon Fire TV's and It worked OK. I noticed when i was trying to watch college football on ESPN, the picture would freeze, as if it was buffering. I thought this was due to our slower 18Mbps internet speed from AT&T. So, today I decided to cancel AT&T uverse TV and just go with Internet. I called AT&T, told them I wanted to cancel u-verse tv and upgrade our internet to 45 Mbps. Long story short, AT&T gave me the run around, saying that I would experience data caps now with just electing to go with internet. Then the rep told me that the price was going to $89.99 for the 45Mbps stand alone plan or I could get u-verse basic tv (which just has local channels and access to ppv) and 45 Mbps without a data cap for $83 bucks per month. Going with this option would still keep my bill around $130 per month:mad: They would not even budge on the price for just the internet option, even when I told the rep that Cox was offering me 50Mbps internet for a lower price for 2 years.

After calling AT&T I called cox and got the run around from them too. Rep said the prices that the door to door salesman gave me were for if you purchase your own cox approved modem and wireless router. Also there would be a $75 install fee for cox to come out to install it. Then the cox rep gave me the option of purchasing their contour flex package with just gives you locals, access to ppv and waives the $75 install fee all for $89.99 per month. So closer to $140 bucks per month just for internet from cox and ps vue. :mad:

Lastly, I called AT&T back, they offered me a Directv package and uverse internet for a cheaper price than just going with ps vue and internet. Supposed to be price locked for 2 years...... guess we will see.

I really wish this ps vue and a stand alone internet package would have worked out. I think the ps vue is a decent deal if you get fast enough internet.

I think that cox and AT&T are realizing that more and more people are streaming and making it difficult on customers to just have a stand alone internet package that is affordable:mad:.

I get gigabit ethernet with At&T for 90. I give away my data to AT&T (else it'd be 120), but figure since they do it anyway I mind as well get something out of it.

kingq
11-09-2016, 12:12 PM
FYI... Viacom channels are out but they're adding a couple others http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/08/new-channels-additional-lineup-change-coming-to-playstation-vue/