View Full Version : Channel 5's New Website

Bobby821
10-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Who else thinks that channel 5's new website design sucks? I can't stand it they should revert it back to the way it was. As it is now it is totally useless..

FighttheGoodFight
10-05-2016, 12:39 PM
I am not a fan of mobile looking sites for desktop users. Feels like I am looking at 800x600

SoonerDave
10-05-2016, 01:07 PM
This is a *major* trend among many big websites - Ch 9 just implemented something very similar - big, ugly, chunky boxes of teaser crap. All focused for mobile devices. All suck. Ch 9's does suck less than 5's, however.

Really ugly trend that I wish would Really stop. Designed to allow for perpetual addition of content as you scroll downward, thus increasing the chance of finding something interesting to click on - eg clickbait stuff. Some content will repeat.

stile99
10-05-2016, 01:33 PM
If only there were some sort of standard for webpages. Some sort of universally agreed-upon method of coding them to where you didn't need to focus on just one type of device, and certainly not the lowest common denominator. A way of 'marking up' the page, if you will. Maybe one maintained by some sort of world-wide consortium. Why, I bet if someone were to come up with such a method, there might even be a knighthood in it for him.

Oh well. Just a pipe dream I suppose. Or maybe series of tubes.

Zuplar
10-05-2016, 02:26 PM
I'm more amazed that people even go to local news stations sites period. I've always thought they all had poor designs and don't really offer anything I can't get at a way nicer national site.

FighttheGoodFight
10-05-2016, 02:47 PM
I'm more amazed that people even go to local news stations sites period. I've always thought they all had poor designs and don't really offer anything I can't get at a way nicer national site.

I would bet more than half go for local weather.

Zuplar
10-05-2016, 02:51 PM
I would bet more than half go for local weather.

So many better weather sites.

ctchandler
10-05-2016, 02:53 PM

Zuplar,
I was going to be nice and not say anything (like my mother taught me), but what you said are my sentiments exactly. Now my late mother is really mad at me!
C. T.

SoonerDave
10-05-2016, 05:53 PM
So many better weather sites.

For a general forecast, maybe, but for immediate coverage of severe weather....local is the way to go..

OKCbyTRANSFER
10-05-2016, 09:37 PM
I used to prefer News 9 until the recent change, I hardly ever look at their page anymore. Now Channel 5 switched, but their's seem to look and load better on my mobile phone.

5alive
10-05-2016, 10:30 PM
In the case of KOCO, the website design come from their owner Hearst Television. Other than local content they have little input as to how it looks.

SoonerDave
10-06-2016, 07:29 AM
Interestingly enough, unless I've just missed something, it seems Ch 9 has reverted back to their previous website since deploying their Giant Tile Squares of Doom design. Methinks not everyone was too crazy about it?

I can see KOCO being victimized by whatever Hearst shoves down their throat, and only being able to insert perhaps some local links or limited local content. But KWTV should have a lot more latitude being locally owned, so maybe they caught some flak and opted to rethink things. I never bother with KFOR, so I don't know what they're doing.

Bullbear
10-06-2016, 09:28 AM
the local channel websites have gotten worse and worse. Seems they are about the level of TMZ for click bait and banners and pop up ad's. It's a nightmare and not worth the time for me.

traxx
10-06-2016, 10:04 AM
For a general forecast, maybe, but for immediate coverage of severe weather....local is the way to go..

Agree

If I just wanna know what the temp is gonna be on a typical, sunny July Oklahoma day, I'll check my phone app. If it's May and the weather is nasty and there's a serious chance of tornadoes in the area, then I only trust local weather.

And local weather is about the only reason that I go to a local news site.

John1744
10-06-2016, 06:50 PM
I cannot believe News9 gets away with whatever abysmal video player they currently have on their website. I generally go them first in severe weather and the 360p video is terrible to try and watch and make out details on the radar map.