View Full Version : Durant really SLAMS Oklahoma City basketball

Pages : [1] 2

sgt. pepper
10-05-2016, 06:25 AM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nbavideos/durant-im-not-as-smart-as-i-thought-i-was/vi-BBx066V?ocid=spartanntp

Bellaboo
10-05-2016, 07:03 AM
He said it was fun playing basketball in OKC also. Not sure how he Slams OKC Basketball ?

SoonerDave
10-05-2016, 07:29 AM
You know, we all just have to get past the KD thing. He's gone, he was a fake, we bought it. It's done. He shafted us, yup, but there's nothing to be done about it. There's no point in letting him continue to "live in our heads rent-free" as someone once told me. Time to just move on and enjoy what we've got. Durant is just a town in southern OK.

Colbafone
10-05-2016, 08:16 AM
At no point in this video is he slamming OKC, the Thunder or the fans. This is a non story. Aaaaaaaaand moving on.

dcsooner
10-05-2016, 08:55 AM
You know, we all just have to get past the KD thing. He's gone, he was a fake, we bought it. It's done. He shafted us, yup, but there's nothing to be done about it. There's no point in letting him continue to "live in our heads rent-free" as someone once told me. Time to just move on and enjoy what we've got. Durant is just a town in southern OK.

He did not slam OKC at all, but man, do I agree with this! Move on

stile99
10-05-2016, 10:00 AM

:congrats:

Sgt Pepper would have gotten the beating a dead horse emoji if we had one. But we don't, and the like button is gone, so SoonerDave gets applause.

Bunty
10-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Why must Durant be considered a fake? Was he supposed to remain at OKC until he got too old and had to retire?

Bellaboo
10-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Why must Durant be considered a fake? Was he supposed to remain at OKC until he got too old and had to retire?

Just for the fact for years he led everyone to believe he was going to stay, play and retire from OKC.

kevinpate
10-05-2016, 11:23 AM
nm, thought I edited this one, but wrote another instead.

kevinpate
10-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Plans change.
It ain't the end of the world just because it happens.

He slammed himself if he slammed anyone, and I don't think he actually slammed himself.

stile99
10-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Just for the fact for years he led everyone to believe he was going to stay, play and retire from OKC.

Once upon a time, I got married. I believed it was the whole "til death do us part" thing. Didn't really turn out that way.

Waaaaaay back in High School, I took an interest in Psychology, and pondered making it my career. Didn't really turn out that way.

I could go on and on with so many examples, but the point is something you really should have learned on your own by now...**** happens. The best laid plans of mice and men, and all that. And really, if you believed KD was going to stay in OKC until the heat death of the universe, that's on you, pal. Not him. And this constant need to belittle him? That's also on you.

Roger S
10-05-2016, 12:28 PM
Man what really gets to me is that Durant stole the CASI State Championship Chili Cook-off from us a few years back..... I'll never forgive Durant for that! ;)

warreng88
10-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Once upon a time, I got married. I believed it was the whole "til death do us part" thing. Didn't really turn out that way.

Waaaaaay back in High School, I took an interest in Psychology, and pondered making it my career. Didn't really turn out that way.

I could go on and on with so many examples, but the point is something you really should have learned on your own by now...**** happens. The best laid plans of mice and men, and all that. And really, if you believed KD was going to stay in OKC until the heat death of the universe, that's on you, pal. Not him. And this constant need to belittle him? That's also on you.

Not really, he is the one that said it, not us. That is one of the reasons so many people are pissed. If he would have said from the very beginning, "Things change, we will see what happens" and then he leaves, I get it. But when he says multiple times "I want to play my whole career here, I want to retire here" and constantly makes comparisons to Duncan, Nowitzki and Kobe for playing their entire career for one team, why is it on us when he made those claims?

dankrutka
10-05-2016, 03:32 PM
First, I'm not sure what the OP was thinking with that thread title, but KD definitely did not slam OKC basketball at all.

I wouldn't go as far as calling KD a fake or liar. I think he's somewhat easily influenced and I think a lot of people around him wanted him at Golden State. From a basketball perspective, the move is just super weak, but there's no need to rehash that dead horse. On a personal level, KD spoke glowingly about OKC for 8 years and provided the city with incredible press... but I just think he left town poorly. He didn't communicate with Russ or Collison, he didn't buy an ad in the newspaper to thank OKC fans (as many players often do), and he hasn't said much in the press about OKC beyond his hollow announcement. After speaking about how much OKC meant to him, he didn't really show it. I think leaving was hard for him and maybe that's why he hasn't addressed it. KD knows he let a lot of people down and I don't think he wants to deal with that.

Anyway, time to move on. We still have a team in OKC.

chris4105
10-05-2016, 03:45 PM

It has been my experience to question highly anyone still a young adult when they say they are certain what they will (or won't) do for the rest of their life.

Laramie
10-05-2016, 03:55 PM
Durant is very careful that he doesn't slam OKC because there's nothing that benefits him. K. D. has enough pressure on himself to keep GSW in the playoffs & win a championship.

Thomas Vu
10-05-2016, 04:15 PM
I thought he was non committal come contract time. Moving on.

Sancho
10-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Not really, he is the one that said it, not us. That is one of the reasons so many people are pissed. If he would have said from the very beginning, "Things change, we will see what happens" and then he leaves, I get it. But when he says multiple times "I want to play my whole career here, I want to retire here" and constantly makes comparisons to Duncan, Nowitzki and Kobe for playing their entire career for one team, why is it on us when he made those claims?

Its on you for believing that plans never change and letting this have an emotional impact on you. Move on, and next time dont forget that regardless of what people say, sometimes plans get changed.

bradh
10-05-2016, 04:24 PM
The biggest thing that bugs me about Durant is that he's friends with Draymond Green, and I question his effort now looking back at the end of that series. Rubs me wrong.

Bill Robertson
10-05-2016, 04:44 PM
It has been my experience to question highly anyone still a young adult when they say they are certain what they will (or won't) do for the rest of their life.Even older adults. I'm pushing 60 and I'm on my third wife, all of which were "forever". I'm on my third "I'm going to retire from here" job. I'm on my fourth or fifth "I'll die here" house. I could go on and on. "Forever" plans change. OKC needs to just get over KD. He isn't a liar any more than I am every time I do something "forever ".

Urbanized
10-05-2016, 04:46 PM
First, I'm not sure what the OP was thinking with that thread title, but KD definitely did not slam OKC basketball at all.

I wouldn't go as far as calling KD a fake or liar. I think he's somewhat easily influenced and I think a lot of people around him wanted him at Golden State. From a basketball perspective, the move is just super weak, but there's no need to rehash that dead horse. On a personal level, KD spoke glowingly about OKC for 8 years and provided the city with incredible press... but I just think he left town poorly. He didn't communicate with Russ or Collison, he didn't buy an ad in the newspaper to thank OKC fans (as many players often do), and he hasn't said much in the press about OKC beyond his hollow announcement. After speaking about how much OKC meant to him, he didn't really show it. I think leaving was hard for him and maybe that's why he hasn't addressed it. KD knows he let a lot of people down and I don't think he wants to deal with that.

Anyway, time to move on. We still have a team in OKC.

Agree with all of this, and would add that my own feeling is that Nike and RocNation are the primary motivators behind his move. Heck, I think to some extent KD is a straight-up pawn for a lot of people. He's not his own man. One of the reasons I've always liked Russ better, LONG before the past few months played out. For many years in fact.

Regarding the interview, I think if anything KD was admitting that his own game is far from complete, which is another thing I have said for years. I guess by extension he is also indicting the Thunder's system, but whatever.

The Thunder was so keyed on his game that it absolutely depended upon full effort and performance from him for everything to go smoothly. It constrained opportunities for many other players, it caused Russ to be criticized (mostly unfairly, in retrospect) for feeling like he had to put the team on his own shoulders when KD disappeared.

The crazy thing is, I honestly think that with one or two moves this team could have very little drop-off from where they were before KD left, which was still a long way from where they could've/should've been. For eight seasons, we only saw FLASHES of how great KD could be; most notably when Russ had the knee injury and KD for the first time ever put the team on his own shoulders. If we would have had that effort and team play out of KD the whole time he was here, there would be championship banners in the rafters of the Chesapeake Arena. Instead we are left to wonder what might have been. And I lay that largely at his feet. His passivity, pouting, and lack of commitment to team basketball had an incredibly detrimental effect on this team. I can't wait to see them grow without that cloud hanging over them.

Now that he is in an environment that REQUIRES team play, it looks like he is discovering how he SHOULD play, which will be scary for the whole league. Too bad he had to go elsewhere to want to learn it and commit to it. All he had to do was pay attention in the film room or on the court while playing the Spurs and GSW.

OKCRT
10-05-2016, 05:32 PM
If he were to get a high ankle sprain and miss a couple months of the season it wouldn't bother me one bit. I don't wish death on him or anything like that but I hope he fails with GS.

dankrutka
10-05-2016, 06:00 PM
The biggest thing that bugs me about Durant is that he's friends with Draymond Green, and I question his effort now looking back at the end of that series. Rubs me wrong.

Not sure how you can question KDs effort. He played the best defense of his career in that series. He was unbelievable.

Richard at Remax
10-05-2016, 06:14 PM
So since he was friends with Draymond he didn't want to play well enough so his friend would win? I guess I don't follow that logic.

bradh
10-05-2016, 06:30 PM
You don't have to agree, maybe effort was the wrong word, but the whole thing looking back smells like a rat.

Bellaboo
10-06-2016, 07:08 AM

Do you like the way how he stiffed his teammates for years after his decision ? Lebron had class when he left Miami by taking Wade and Bosh out to dinner and telling them of his decision. Durant ? He left his friends for years high and dry. Still hasn't spoke to them.

stile99
10-06-2016, 09:01 AM
Do you like the way how he stiffed his teammates for years after his decision ? Lebron had class when he left Miami by taking Wade and Bosh out to dinner and telling them of his decision. Durant ? He left his friends for years high and dry. Still hasn't spoke to them.

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/i-admire-your-commitment-to-beating-a-dead-horse-d8ccf.png

jerrywall
10-06-2016, 09:12 AM
Meh. People need to move on. If you're really and deeply upset about Durant, you need to get a life. Sorry, but it needs to be said. Unless he was your friend and ran over your dog on the way out, get the heck over it and grow up. I mean, it's fun from a fanboy standpoint to hate on him now that he's playing for an opposing team, but that's as far as it gets. It's the equivalent of booing Hulk Hogan when he joined the NWO and became Hollywood Hogan. It's pro sports and it's a show. They're paid to play, and none of them take anything personally. If you asked me if I planned to leave my job anytime soon, I'd say no. But if the right opportunity came up tomorrow, I'd take it. Because I'm not an idiot. I don't expect Durant to be one either.

So boo him as the villain? Sure. I could see that with Lebron too. But if Durant returned in 5 years and got us a championship, I'd be right there cheering him during the parade.

Laramie
10-06-2016, 10:17 AM
My concern with K. D. was his obvious friendship with D. Green who (rumored) visited K. D. one night after a game here in the city.

K.D's the same guy who got on board against Thabo Sefolosha bringing Joakim Noah (Chicago Bulls) into the Thunder's locker room; who Kendrick Perkins referred to as that thing, 'oh, they just let you bring any old thing into the locker room.'.

Yet, K.D. invited Draymond Green into his condo after a Thunder game against the Warriors.

You have to set aside those friendships during the playoffs; it creates doubt and suspicion as to your intentions.

By the way, never did see K. D. stand up for Steven Adams when Green kicked him in the private area both times. Durant stood around looking dumbfounded in disbelief.

catcherinthewry
10-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Not sure how you can question KDs effort. He played the best defense of his career in that series. He was unbelievable.

Unfortunately for the Thunder, you have to play on both ends of the court. I don't think it is unreasonable to question the fact that he shot worse from 3 than Andre Roberson in the GS series.

Zuplar
10-06-2016, 11:31 AM
According to Stephen A. Smith, he thinks that it was a jab at OKC. Me personally, I don't really care. I'm just ready to see what the team looks like now in a real meaningful game.

dankrutka
10-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately for the Thunder, you have to play on both ends of the court. I don't think it is unreasonable to question the fact that he shot worse from 3 than Andre Roberson in the GS series.

So, you think he was trying really hard on defense, but missing threes on purpose? That doesn't really make sense. Is KD's offense a reason OKC didn't advance? Yes. Is it troublesome that he was friendly with Warriors players? Sure. But... Is there any evidence he tanked on purpose? Not at all.

Creating conspiracy theories by re-interpreting past events is easy to do, but that doesn't make any of it true. No one suggested that KD wasn't doing everything to win when we were actually playing the Warriors... and there's a reason. KD was working his butt off to win.

Now, please quit making me defend KD! I'm trying to make him the villain. lol

jerrywall
10-06-2016, 11:53 AM
So, you think he was trying really hard on defense, but missing threes on purpose? That doesn't really make sense. Is KD's offense a reason OKC didn't advance? Yes. Is it troublesome that he was friendly with Warriors players? Sure. But... Is there any evidence he tanked on purpose? Not at all.

Creating conspiracy theories by re-interpreting past events is easy to do, but that doesn't make any of it true. No one suggested that KD wasn't doing everything to win when we were actually playing the Warriors... and there's a reason. KD was working his butt off to win.

And it honestly wouldn't make sense for him to tank the series. Fans take the interteam rivalries more seriously than the players do. At the end of the day, no matter what team they're playing for, they're working for the NBA. Tanking that series would cost him much more in the long term career wise. There's no upside. If the Thunder had won that series thanks to his playing, he wouldn't have been seen as a enemy going to LA. Just a bigger superstar.

catcherinthewry
10-06-2016, 01:00 PM
I'm not saying KD intentionally tanked the series, but that it is possible he wasn't mentally stable because he was conflicted. Defense is more about effort and KD showed the effort. Offense is more about confidence. KD shot 29% from 3 in that series.
I question his mental toughness more than anything. In the Olympics he said he was more relaxed because he didn't care if he won. The dude is not a lead dog so he went somewhere where he could ride the coat tails of some players who were mentally tough.

dankrutka
10-06-2016, 01:15 PM
I agree and, yeah, KD pretty much conceded that he doesn't want to be the leader of an organization/team because of the pressure. He wants to be "one of the guys." And that's his perogative, but I can't ever imagine any other superstar saying something that weak.

Laramie
10-06-2016, 03:27 PM

. . . or getting his butt worked.

Urbanized
10-06-2016, 07:22 PM
I agree and, yeah, KD pretty much conceded that he doesn't want to be the leader of an organization/team because of the pressure. He wants to be "one of the guys." And that's his perogative, but I can't ever imagine any other superstar saying something that weak.
Most talented role player of all time.

kwhey
10-07-2016, 10:28 AM
If he really wanted to slam OKC, he would have a full page ad with nothing but a huge middle finger on it and the caption saying F**k you OKC. It would have been well earned too.

Easy180
10-07-2016, 10:37 AM
Durant?.....Durant?...Name sounds familiar...Who was he again?

stile99
10-07-2016, 11:36 AM

Bad guy in the movie Darkman.

Roger S
10-07-2016, 12:41 PM

He was the vice president of the Union Pacific Railroad.

jerrywall
10-07-2016, 12:53 PM

She's the Secretary of State.

Urbanized
10-07-2016, 01:02 PM
...It would have been well earned too.

How so, exactly?

White Peacock
10-08-2016, 08:21 AM
He was the vice president of the Union Pacific Railroad.

We meet again, Mr. Bohannon.

OKCRT
10-09-2016, 02:02 PM
According to Stephen A. Smith, he thinks that it was a jab at OKC. Me personally, I don't really care. I'm just ready to see what the team looks like now in a real meaningful game.

It wasn't a jab at OKC (as fans or city) it was a jab at the Thunder. KD was saying that the Thunder coaches didn't teach him an all around game.

Urbanized
10-09-2016, 03:14 PM
^^^^^^^^
They spent 8 years trying to build their offense around catering to KD and his style of play. While the raw skill he and Russ possess (and Harden when he was here, and eventually Serge) allowed them to simply "out-athlete" most teams, they often paid a heavy price when they met disciplined opponents.

The fact of the matter is that the entire organization walked on eggshells and revolved around feeding him, getting him touches, making him happy, despite the fact that he didn't really work very hard without the ball, pouted when he couldn't get open, and rarely thought much about using his own double teams to make assists himself.

When he got passive or frustrated (which happened often) the wheels fell off. If he himself had committed to team play the rest would have fallen into place. Instead everyone (himself included) waited around for that magic moment when he would choose to lead and to make his TEAM better. It never came, save the period when Russ was hurt and KD really had no choice but to lead. I wish we'd seen that effort, toughness and resolve from him the rest of the time that he was here.

This is a better situation for him now because he doesn't HAVE to produce. He doesn't HAVE to lead. He's said so himself. And honestly, I suspect Russ and the Thunder will now shock the hell out of everybody and play much more disciplined, team-oriented hoop themselves. People will call it a transformation in Russ' game, but the reality of it is that it will happen because he, the rest of the team and organization will no longer be fretting about keeping KD happy. They can just hoop.

dankrutka
10-09-2016, 03:32 PM
I actually don't agree that the Thunder would have been better with a more "team oriented" approach. Everyone idolizes the way the Warriors and the Spurs played with constant ball movement, but they had the personnel for those types of offense. When you're swinging the ball to Danny Green or Klay Thompson that offense works... but not as much when you're swinging it to Andre Roberson or Serge Ibaka. OKC's offense has been absolutely off-the-charts good in recent years. The only problem, in my opinion, was just (a) a lack of offensive players (see Derek Fisher getting 35 minutes in a WCF game 6) and (b) some late-game stalls where KD and Russ waited to get into their offense too long and thus resulting in a stagnant offense that was not the norm. In short, OKC's offense was wise to have high usage rates for KD and Russ because they're really good offensive players. But, it also makes sense for KD to change his game to fit with Golden State's team. Or, a better example, is the Spurs who have abandoned their pass-happy offense for a slower, more isolation heavy offense as their personnel has changed. There is no one right way to play and I don't think these criticisms of KDs game or approach in OKC are on-base.

BlackmoreRulz
10-09-2016, 04:27 PM
^^^^^^^^
They spent 8 years trying to build their offense around catering to KD and his style of play. While the raw skill he and Russ possess (and Harden when he was here, and eventually Serge) allowed them to simply "out-athlete" most teams, they often paid a heavy price when they met disciplined opponents.

The fact of the matter is that the entire organization walked on eggshells and revolved around feeding him, getting him touches, making him happy, despite the fact that he didn't really work very hard without the ball, pouted when he couldn't get open, and rarely thought much about using his own double teams to make assists himself.

When he got passive or frustrated (which happened often) the wheels fell off. If he himself had committed to team play the rest would have fallen into place. Instead everyone (himself included) waited around for that magic moment when he would choose to lead and to make his TEAM better. It never came, save the period when Russ was hurt and KD really had no choice but to lead. I wish we'd seen that effort, toughness and resolve from him the rest of the time that he was here.

This is a better situation for him now because he doesn't HAVE to produce. He doesn't HAVE to lead. He's said so himself. And honestly, I suspect Russ and the Thunder will now shock the hell out of everybody and play much more disciplined, team-oriented hoop themselves. People will call it a transformation in Russ' game, but the reality of it is that it will happen because he, the rest of the team and organization will no longer be fretting about keeping KD happy. They can just hoop.

I agree completely, KD wanted to call himself a leader but he just doesn't have that in him.

jerrywall
10-10-2016, 08:26 AM
I guess I had rose colored blinders on, because I never got that impression of him.

Urbanized
10-10-2016, 10:10 AM
^^^^^^^^
I think we all did, initially. We recognized KD's good deeds in the community, his penchant for saying the things that he knew would make us happy, and most of all his undeniable, generational size/shooting skill combo, so we so easily assumed that HE was the dude. Everyone told us that, too. Easy to buy into it. But a few years ago - documented on this forum - I started to switch to the idea that Russ could/should be and effectively WAS the leader of that team, despite what everyone said, and despite what we all *wanted* to happen.

It was only after watching many, many games in person and on TV (but especially in person, since you can more easily isolate and analyze a player) that I started to feel like his passivity and poutiness was a bit of a dark cloud over the court more often than it was not. Over the years I have taken lots of heat when I pointed it out (including here). But it is true. He's not a leader, he never actually WANTED to be a leader (again, he has freely admitted this since leaving). And having a league, an organization and a fanbase subconsciously forcing it on him got too heavy for him, I think.

Again, had we all - including KD himself - understood that he wasn't the next MJ but instead the next - much taller - Ray Allen, we all would have been better off. By his nature he is a role player. Maybe the most talented role player that ever played the game, but nevertheless a role player. THAT is why winning with him, building a championship TEAM around him (and especially his role player game), was harder than it should be. And that is why he feels so much more at home at Golden State. Oh, and not having his hanger-on family and his agent and Nike in his ear, tearing down his present situation, also helps.

dankrutka
10-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Calling KD a role player is silly. He's a top 3 player in the NBA. Granted, he will reduce his scoring role in Golden State. You can argue that he's not a good leader, but he's not a role player on the court. KD is a dramatically better player than Ray Allen. It's not even close. OKC was good enough to win a title with KD as its best player. It just didn't happen because winning a title is really, really hard.

Dang it! Quit making defend KD!

Urbanized
10-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Role. Player.

acumpton
11-16-2017, 09:24 AM
Well this was an interesting piece.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2744298

Zuplar
11-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Well this was an interesting piece.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2744298

It was, thanks for posting.

Bellaboo
11-16-2017, 11:44 AM
He's still a head case imo. He can drop about 40 'F' bombs in the article but cherishes his bible study with Steph.

Thomas Vu
11-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Personal opinions about KD aside, he's not wrong.

d-usa
11-16-2017, 12:23 PM
I think the reaction to everything was 50/50 the fact that he left and the way that he left.

He only thinks about the fact that he left when looking at peoples anger, and until he accepts responsibility for the fact that he could have handled his departure much better there won’t be much healing.

SoonerDave
11-16-2017, 02:48 PM
He's still a self-absorbed jackass, an edgy, overindulged 8-year-old in a man's body, one who thinks it makes him bad and gives him street cred to drop F-bombs among his new brethren. His personality is now 50% denial; thinking everyone back here in OKC still thinks he's a great guy, and we'll hang "his" 35 in the rafters one day.

Not on a bet. I wouldn't hang his "35" over my toilet. Unless it came in a roll marked "Charmin."

Jersey Boss
11-16-2017, 03:14 PM
It's been 16 months since he has left. It is way past overdue to let it go and this topic/thread die of natural causes.

Thomas Vu
11-16-2017, 03:15 PM
I think the reaction to everything was 50/50 the fact that he left and the way that he left.

He only thinks about the fact that he left when looking at peoples anger, and until he accepts responsibility for the fact that he could have handled his departure much better there won’t be much healing.

I'm still of the opinion there was no right way to do this. Look at what happened to Kyrie and IT.

It's been 16 months since he has left. It is way past overdue to let it go and this topic/thread die of natural causes.

+1