View Full Version : Home lawn sprinkler question

SoonerDave
09-12-2016, 12:32 PM
When I built my house about 18 years ago, my builder told me that even though I did not have a sprinkler system installed he had stubbed it out in a way that would make it easy to add one if I chose to later.

Problem is that the builder took ill shortly after we closed, and he passed away. He never really had a chance to tell me where to look for the "stubbing out" he'd said was done.

I've snooped around for any stray pipes, connections, anything that might tie into such a thing, but in all honesty, I'm not precisely sure what I'm looking for. Anyone with more sprinklerninja skills than I able to suggest anything I should be looking for?

I've come to the conclusion I need at least a minimal sprinkler for my front yard, and if part of the work is already done, no point in wasting it.

FighttheGoodFight
09-12-2016, 01:24 PM
I could be wrong but I believe a stub-out is the hook from the main water line to the valve into the sprinkler system. I would guess he just cut into the main and possible put a valve there with a shut off.

Do you have a little round green cover anywhere in the lawn? That would have the valve below.

If he did do the cut from water main that will save you some money.

SoonerDave
09-12-2016, 01:29 PM
I could be wrong but I believe a stub-out is the hook from the main water line to the valve into the sprinkler system. I would guess he just cut into the main and possible put a valve there with a shut off.

Do you have a little round green cover anywhere in the lawn? That would have the valve below.

If he did do the cut from water main that will save you some money.

Hmmm..not that I recall..however, it could be in my flower bed immediately adjacent to the garage, buried under topsoil. I'll have to take a look at where the main water was run from the city meter....

FighttheGoodFight
09-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Hmmm..not that I recall..however, it could be in my flower bed immediately adjacent to the garage, buried under topsoil. I'll have to take a look at where the main water was run from the city meter....

Usually you can trace it from the water meter to the main line then get a long metal spike and push it down and you should find it.

I feel like my knowledge of sprinkler systems went up 10 fold by moving into a house that had a non-working one. We had one company say they couldn't find the cut out and wanted to cut another line out of the main and re do it. $500 bucks. I said uhhh no. Next guy came out and found it for me and repaired the valve for $80 bucks. Felt nice.

SoonerDave
09-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Usually you can trace it from the water meter to the main line then get a long metal spike and push it down and you should find it.

I feel like my knowledge of sprinkler systems went up 10 fold by moving into a house that had a non-working one. We had one company say they couldn't find the cut out and wanted to cut another line out of the main and re do it. $500 bucks. I said uhhh no. Next guy came out and found it for me and repaired the valve for $80 bucks. Felt nice.

That's awesome. I know where the main cutoff into the house is, so I *ought* to be able to find the sprinkler stub. I remain convinced I can find it. LOL :)

Thanks

rezman
09-12-2016, 02:54 PM
I have the same issue at my place. an old non working sprinkler system installed in the 90's. I know where the water line comes up into the house from the water meter.

There's a green box in the oposite direction from the meter with a valve for what I'm assuming is the front sprinkler zones. But I could not find one in back, although my work shop may be sitting on top of it.

I had a sprinkler line break in the back yard and I had no idea how to shut it off, other than at the water meter. I dug up the line and capped it off.

But i have the same questions regarding getting the old system operating again vs plumbing in a whole new system. I too would really like to find the old stub out that way the old system can can be isolated.

FighttheGoodFight
09-12-2016, 03:07 PM
I have the same issue at my place. an old non working sprinkler system installed in the 90's. I know where the water line comes up into the house from the water meter.

There's a green box in the oposite direction from the meter with a valve for what I'm assuming is the front sprinkler zones. But I could not find one in back, although my work shop may be sitting on top of it.

I had a sprinkler line break in the back yard and I had no idea how to shut it off, other than at the water meter. I dug up the line and capped it off.

But i have the same questions regarding getting the old system operating again vs plumbing in a whole new system. I too would really like to find the old stub out that way the old system can can be isolated.

As I learned if you hire the right person they will find it. The first guys just didn't seem to be bothered to even look for it. The second guy I called found it in about four hours by just digging and tracing the line.

It would be cheaper to use the old lines if they are still un damaged. New systems can be pretty pricey. I don't know if OKC has any codes for inspection of systems but Norman doesn't so whoever put it in our house kind of did a terrible job. But after the fix to our system it works great! Kept my yard pretty green all year and cut down on the manual water wasting.

rezman
09-12-2016, 07:37 PM
I hear you. I would much rather use the existing system, and just replace the controler and heads as needed. The trick will be finding where it's tied in to the main water line. I have a feeling mine is somewhere below the front flower bed as well.

turnpup
09-13-2016, 10:05 AM
I hear you. I would much rather use the existing system, and just replace the controler and heads as needed. The trick will be finding where it's tied in to the main water line. I have a feeling mine is somewhere below the front flower bed as well.

Agree but beware how that can add up. When we moved to our current house it had a good system in place but needed a lot of new heads and other reconfiguring, to the tune of nearly $4k by the time all was said and done. You can almost put a new system in for that, depending on size of yard.

rezman
09-13-2016, 02:42 PM
^^^ Thanks the advice. All good stuff. I wouldn't want to put in a new system and still have the old one hooked up. So the first things to do would be to locate where it's tied in to the water line, and see if we can fire it ip, and go from there. Who knows , we might end up with a hybrid of old and new, which will probably be the case.