View Full Version : Just Got Back From The Twin Cities . .

RadicalModerate
09-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Saw, firsthand, the "HipsterVision" of Urbanity. (sorta dug it)
Rolled on up Central Avenue (65) to the bedroom community of Cambridge.
Returned to OK only to be greeted by a friggin'/"fracken" EQ (earthquake, dang)

Decided to run some "Minnesota Nice" by every single person on the other side of the counter.
I was amazed. It really works. A simple compliment rather than pointless anger? Easy (peasy).
Minnesota: A grate place t' visit . . . in the summer . . . but not a place to live.
Unless you like Snowmobliles and Ice Fishing, fer cryin' oot loud . . . =~)

Quick example of The Minnesota Nice Deal"
Grocery Store . . . Looking for shortest lane . . . get behind a (very nice) (from Georgia and Florida) "lady of color" holding up commerce . . . "What's that you got there?" "Local brew. Stay True to Your School. COOP Briefcase Brown" "I'd sure like to have one of those. Where they at?" Me: "Let's make this easy for you." (peeled a can off the four pack and dropped it in her bag.) Win/Wn everyone's happy.

I told the slightly more elderly lady on the other side of the counter of the best Bakery that side of the Mason-Dixon Line that I was trying to get my mind right for The Big Drive (the next day). She said: OKLAHOMA? There's way too many tornadoes down there for me." I nodded in appreciation of her limited observational knowledge and said: "Yah . . . We got Earthquakes Too . . . And we are looking forward to Hurricane Season . . . Doncha Know . . ."

I might have given her a little peck on the cheek but that might have been deemed inappropriate.
Her little teenage protégé was right there next to her and I was holding hands with my wife.
It might have been awkward. =~)

]It implies a free spirit.
Oh! Sorry: Herman's Bakery and Deli. Main Street. Cambridge, MInnesota.

bradh
09-08-2016, 08:18 AM
Headed to MSP next month for an annual guys trip (we follow the Texans to a different road game each year). Looking forward to it, there are 6 of us without a car, plan on riding the rail from MSP to our downtown hotel and exploring on foot/Uber all weekend.

RadicalModerate
09-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Headed to MSP next month for an annual guys trip (we follow the Texans to a different road game each year). Looking forward to it, there are 6 of us without a car, plan on riding the rail from MSP to our downtown hotel and exploring on foot/Uber all weekend.

I'm partial to the Northeast ("Nordeast") part of Minneapolis, specifically the area referred to on Google Maps as the "Northeast Minneapolis Arts District." Basically, it's the area on the east side of the Mississippi River between Broadway and Lowry (both of which have bridges across the river). There are lots of bars and restaurants and shops worth checking out. One such place is Mayslack's Bar and Grill. If you want to enjoy (part) of the biggest roast beef sandwich you will ever see in your life (and one that could easily feed three or four people) you might want to give it a visit. Please be advised that "The Original" Mayslack's sandwich is aimed at people who like the flavor of garlic infused in their beef. If you enjoy pizza, try Element Pizza, on Broadway, just a couple of blocks east of the river. I think it's the best pizza I've ever had, anywhere.

Another interesting area is back toward the river on Central (that is, toward the southwest). It's near Nicollet Island, in the vicinity of where Central, Hennepin and University sort of converge. Again, lots of bars, restaurants and shops including a world famous Polish Deli, Kramarczuk's Sausage Company, plus Surdyk's Liquor & Cheese Shop. Lots of great local beers in there, plus the cheese selection ain't no slouch.

If, from that area, you go across the river, via Central Ave, then turn left and go southeast for a few blocks, look for The Guthrie Theater. You can go into the Guthrie and take an elevator ride up to the floor that has an outdoor observation deck. The deck overlooks an historic stone arched bridge across the Mississippi. It also has a great view of the city both by day and by night.

oklip955
09-10-2016, 01:19 AM
I have to second Kramarczuk's Sausage company. I'm just now finishing up all the sausage I brought back from there. They have a nice dine in place, great for lunch.

Chadanth
09-10-2016, 06:17 PM

Try the Butcher and the Boar. Great whiskey selection, and the beef rib is outstanding. Surly brewery is very cool too.

RadicalModerate
09-11-2016, 11:28 AM
There are many signs and wonders in "The Cities." It is important to read--and obey--them.

Here's the sculpture referenced by the signage.

ps: A Surly Beer trumps a visit to Izzy's every time. =~)
And all of this is within walking distance of The Heart of Minneapolis, MN. Including Gold Medal Park and The Guthrie Theater. While I was waiting for the entourage to get back from Izzy's Ice Cream Shrine, I personally witnessed half a dozen young Urbanistas allow their to dogs take a dump on the grass. Without picking it up. There should be a sign.

RadicalModerate
09-11-2016, 12:16 PM
Speaking of signs (and wonders) . . . here are a couple of examples, from just 45 minutes up the road (on Central Avenue/65). Minnesota apparently has one of the highest rates of literacy in the nation (in order to deal with nearly unimaginable problems =~) . . .

OkiePoke
09-11-2016, 01:27 PM
You have to go to Surly. I just made a trip back and brought back 3 coolers full of beer. I love me some Coffee Bender. Unfortunately, my friends to too!

RadicalModerate
09-11-2016, 03:09 PM
You have to go to Surly. I just made a trip back and brought back 3 coolers full of beer. I love me some Coffee Bender. Unfortunately, my friends to too!

Some locals think that The Surly Megaplex Craft Brewery Location has gotten too big too fast. The first time I encountered Surly was when I requested of a rather "surly" waitress, in a little town, in an excellent Tavern, just beyond the fringes of "The Cities" proper, something local, dark and on tap. It's really good beer. At Mayslack's I requested something local, dark and on tap. We only have (some Canadian sounding brew that starts with a D), she replied. That'll do. Thank you. (what came out of the tap was comparable to Summit Great Lakes Porter and Anthem Urobouros Stout. In other words: Good.

RadicalModerate
09-11-2016, 03:11 PM
OH! Don't think for one minute that Grain Belt beer is as lame as Coors or that swill from Seattle or Portland or wherever (Anchor Steam Beer) or various other wastes of beer enjoyment time. Grain Belt is popular up there for a reason.