View Full Version : Just got back from OKC

martinmoorejr
09-07-2016, 09:13 AM
The kind people over on the OKC subreddit sent me here because they though some of you might enjoy the Vlog I did this past weekend when I visited Oklahoma City.

I'm a Vlogger in Milwaukee and we spent a long weekend in OKC and I thought it might be fun for some to see your own city from an outsiders perspective. I know I always enjoy seeing other people's experience here in Milwaukee. Anyways, hope you enjoy the video. Let me know if it's not allowed here, don't want to be spammy (that's a word right?)
https://youtu.be/RF7_nfwiPJI

Pete
09-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Thanks so much and welcome to the site!

I was actually born in MKE and get back there frequently for family reunions. I often say it's the most underrated city in the U.S. Love that town.

Here is the video directly linked:

RF7_nfwiPJI

Jake
09-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Awesome video! Thanks for sharing!

My dad's side of the family is actually from the Milwaukee/Waukesha area and I always love visiting. Milwaukee is cool.

Bullbear
09-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the perspective. It is very interesting to see the city from an outsider and see where you choose to go and spend time. Very cool. and OMG who did you fly out of here!.. that was tiny!!.

TU 'cane
09-07-2016, 10:39 AM
That was a very entertaining and satisfying video. Thanks for sharing and hope you enjoyed your time down here!

martinmoorejr
09-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Thanks!! How is everyone somehow linked to milwaukee! Ha so funny!

Roger S
09-07-2016, 01:20 PM

I'm only linked to it in that I enjoy beer, brats, and cheese. But I think those are 3 pretty darn good reasons! ;)

Pete
09-07-2016, 01:32 PM

What part of Milwaukee do you call home?

dankrutka
09-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Milwaukee is my number one city that I want to visit that I haven't been to yet. I was hoping to do it AND catch a Thunder road game, but I don't think the date is going to work...

Anyway, what's the best place to find things to do, eat, see in Milwaukee?

Pete
09-07-2016, 02:05 PM
^

I'm sure Martin will provide his thoughts but I've done this several times:

Start south of downtown in the Historic 3rd Ward (kind of like Bricktown but with its own flavor and charm)
Walk north along the river through downtown and to the historic neighborhoods to the north
Check out Brady Street (eclectic and arty) then stroll over to the lakefront and walk back down south

Tons and tons of things to see along the way, including a bunch of great urban infill.

Urbanized
09-07-2016, 02:30 PM
John Norquist's "The Wealth of Cities" is one of my favorite reads of all time. Milwaukee was really an early adopter of the urbanism revival. Norquist went on to serve as the President and CEO of the Congress for New Urbanism for about a decade. I can also tell you that when I attended an International Downtown Association conference in Los Angeles in 2000, Milwaukee was the absolute belle of the ball. EVERYONE packed their sessions trying to figure out how to replicate what they were doing.

I'm with Dan; Milwaukee is easily in my top 2-3 American cities remaining that I have not visited and really want to.

rezman
09-07-2016, 04:33 PM
I used to have a lot of family around the Chicagoland area, and used to visit there a lot, and go on up into Wisconsin as part of our vacations, but never made it to the Milwaukee area. It's been a few years since I've been up that way, but many times I've wanted to jump on the Metra north Milwaukee line out of Chicago and take a ride up there and have a look around.

martinmoorejr
09-07-2016, 06:39 PM
I'm only linked to it in that I enjoy beer, brats, and cheese. But I think those are 3 pretty darn good reasons! ;) right!

martinmoorejr
09-07-2016, 06:40 PM
What part of Milwaukee do you call home? the actual city. Ha.

martinmoorejr
09-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Milwaukee is my number one city that I want to visit that I haven't been to yet. I was hoping to do it AND catch a Thunder road game, but I don't think the date is going to work...

Anyway, what's the best place to find things to do, eat, see in Milwaukee? honestly my Vlogs cover so much if you grab some popcorn and a drink you can watch on your tv and see all the places and restaraunts and sites I cover each week. I really do cover every inch of the city :)

martinmoorejr
09-07-2016, 06:42 PM
^

I'm sure Martin will provide his thoughts but I've done this several times:

Start south of downtown in the Historic 3rd Ward (kind of like Bricktown but with its own flavor and charm)
Walk north along the river through downtown and to the historic neighborhoods to the north
Check out Brady Street (eclectic and arty) then stroll over to the lakefront and walk back down south

Tons and tons of things to see along the way, including a bunch of great urban infill. you really nailed it actually! I agree.

martinmoorejr
09-07-2016, 06:44 PM
John Norquist's "The Wealth of Cities" is one of my favorite reads of all time. Milwaukee was really an early adopter of the urbanism revival. Norquist went on to serve as the President and CEO of the Congress for New Urbanism for about a decade. I can also tell you that when I attended an International Downtown Association conference in Los Angeles in 2000, Milwaukee was the absolute belle of the ball. EVERYONE packed their sessions trying to figure out how to replicate what they were doing.

I'm with Dan; Milwaukee is easily in my top 2-3 American cities remaining that I have not visited and really want to. I think Milwaukee is just as underrated as OKC is. I don't think most people think of either city when it comes to vacation or visiting but both are so similar as far as history, culture and how they have sooooo much to do and offer.