View Full Version : Boundaries of Downtown Oklahoma City

ChrisHayes
09-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Seeing as I've only lived here for about 3 years now, one thing I've wondered about is what are the boundaries of downtown? Most people, when they think of downtown would assume it's just where the high rises are. I know Bricktown and Deep Deuce are part of downtown, but how far out or what districts make up Downtown Oklahoma City?

mkjeeves
09-05-2016, 02:55 PM
Close enough to my definition.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Downtown+Oklahoma+City,+Oklahoma+City,+OK/@35.4724582,-97.5330865,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x87b2172fbf2b08f7:0xc5fb8 825e7c57638!8m2!3d35.4689634!4d-97.5084806

Teo9969
09-05-2016, 09:30 PM
We've talked about this several times I believe, so you can look it up for more opinions, but I feel like the pretty standard agreement of boarders is as follows...

North: 13th St.
East: I-235
South: I-40
West: Classen

Some would say everything in the interstate loop, some would say only the CBD. But the highways operate as significant barriers and Classen and 13th are pretty well barriers between predominantly commercial development vs. predominantly residential development until you hit a mile in either direction (23rd to the north and Penn to the west)

catch22
09-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Close enough to my definition.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Downtown+Oklahoma+City,+Oklahoma+City,+OK/@35.4724582,-97.5330865,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x87b2172fbf2b08f7:0xc5fb8 825e7c57638!8m2!3d35.4689634!4d-97.5084806

I would expand that slightly because I consider the Plaza and 23rd Street to also be downtown.

Urbanized
09-06-2016, 04:54 AM
Here are the boundaries of the Downtown Business Improvement District:

http://www.downtownokc.com/sites/default/files/BID-Character-Districts-with-Midtown-addition-2015_0.png

Beyond this, for the sake of conversation I'd expand my definition to include the Boathouse District, everything to Classen, and - once built - the area around the convention center and central park.

It's worth noting that Urban Neighbors won't accept full members from north of 13th, which is a natural and obvious boundary. I'm sorry, there is no logical way to include Plaza or 23rd. Obviously they have an urban character, but so do/can many other commercial strips in OKC. You can't justify including OR leapfrogging a square mile of leafy, quiet residential neighborhoods just to include those commercial areas in your definition.

Anonymous.
09-06-2016, 09:39 AM
I would expand that slightly because I consider the Plaza and 23rd Street to also be downtown.

Interesting, considering that would encompass areas that are literally named midtown and uptown.

Ginkasa
09-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Interesting, considering that would encompass areas that are literally named midtown and uptown.

The map in Urbanized's post includes Midtown as well.

catch22
09-06-2016, 09:48 AM

I guess "downtown" and "downtown district" seem different to me. I would agree that each is its own district, but downtown as a general term provides a little larger geographical area. Is Bricktown downtown? Maybe not in a strict literal use of the lines on the map, but I would bet 90% of people would call Bricktown as part of downtown, despite it being its own district.

When referring to the plaza district, I would not hesitate once to say "we are going to Empire downtown in the Plaza district". Downtown can blanket a large area because it is a term, and not necessarily have to be a specific boundary.

Urbanized
09-06-2016, 10:10 AM
The general definition of a downtown is of the historic city center, primarily commercial. All of the districts within the downtown BID and the other areas I identified fall within this definition; though there was housing in those areas they were primarily commercial going back even to the early 20th century. Once you hit 13th, or Classen, you are talking about broad swaths that have never been anything OTHER than housing (post-agriculture, I mean). Places like HH, Mesta, Gatewood, etc., were OKC's first efforts at suburban development. So even though there are dense commercial districts nearby and beyond, they really don't qualify under the most accepted definitions.

Places like Plaza and 23rd were built based on transport other than walking; primarily streetcar and automobile. Plaza, 23rd (or Capitol Hill, or Stockyard City, or...) have never been a part of downtown. They developed separately. They are separate organisms, though they are obviously becoming more connected of late.

shawnw
09-06-2016, 03:52 PM
I thought the eastern boundary was lottie and that the innovation district was inclusive to downtown.

OKCRT
09-07-2016, 06:20 PM
I thought the eastern boundary was lottie and that the innovation district was inclusive to downtown.

Downtown North to South - NW 10th to I-40 and West to East - Classen to Broadway

Urbanized
09-08-2016, 10:44 AM
^^^^^^^
That would exclude most of the Automobile Alley district, all of Deep Deuce and all of Bricktown.

KayneMo
09-08-2016, 11:09 AM
^ And excludes the Skirvin, Cotter Ranch Tower, Continental Oil Center, and the Renaissance, lol.

I would say downtown is bounded by NW 13th, I-235, I-40, and Western.

OKCRT
09-08-2016, 11:38 AM
^ And excludes the Skirvin, Cotter Ranch Tower, Continental Oil Center, and the Renaissance, lol.

Some would say Downtown is from Sheridan to Nw 6th and Santa fe to Shartel.
Now if you want to mix downtown with Bricktown all of Auto Alley parts of midtown then go for it.

catch22
09-08-2016, 12:24 PM

If that's the case, half of the MAPS 3 Downtown Central Park will not be downtown at all.

I hate these very specific literal uses of the word. I prefer a more liberal use of the term where downtown is a much broader area in the center of the city. It can have its own districts inside of it because it is an area and not a district.

KayneMo
09-08-2016, 01:04 PM
Some would say Downtown is from Sheridan to Nw 6th and Santa fe to Shartel.
Now if you want to mix downtown with Bricktown all of Auto Alley parts of midtown then go for it.

That's the Central Business District, a component of downtown, along with Bricktown, Auto Alley, Deep Deuce, Film Row, etc.

http://www.downtownokc.com/about/districts

If that's the case, half of the MAPS 3 Downtown Central Park will not be downtown at all.

I hate these very specific literal uses of the word. I prefer a more liberal use of the term where downtown is a much broader area in the center of the city. It can have its own districts inside of it because it is an area and not a district.

Indeed, the northern half of the park would be in downtown. I just don't see the area between I-40 and the river as downtown. Google Maps has it labeled as Riverside but I wasn't familiar with that designation.

Teo9969
09-08-2016, 02:20 PM
The only boundary that seems debatable to me is whether you choose the River or I-40.

If you ask someone officed East of I-235 and West of Lottie, they'll likely say the OU/HSC. Never heard anyone say downtown talking about the HSC, and remember not long ago there was a big gap between the two as DD was not a thing.

But I really think Urbanized has this pretty locked down and well defined and defended.

warreng88
09-08-2016, 02:59 PM
A lot of it might consider where you live. My sister in law lives in Norman and when we go to a friends house in the JFK neighborhood, she calls it downtown. My best friend lives in Edmond and considers the Plaza District Downtown. I live in Crestwood and distinguish between Downtown, Film Row, Automobile Alley, Midtown, Bricktown, Deep Deuce, etc., when talking about locations. But, I would concur with many on here that it is I-40, Western, 13th, 235. I don't consider OUHSC downtown.

OKCRT
09-08-2016, 04:55 PM
A lot of it might consider where you live. My sister in law lives in Norman and when we go to a friends house in the JFK neighborhood, she calls it downtown. My best friend lives in Edmond and considers the Plaza District Downtown. I live in Crestwood and distinguish between Downtown, Film Row, Automobile Alley, Midtown, Bricktown, Deep Deuce, etc., when talking about locations. But, I would concur with many on here that it is I-40, Western, 13th, 235. I don't consider OUHSC downtown.

Downtown is downtown. Not Midtown or Bricktown. Pretty much the central business district is downtown. Old I-40 to NW 10th (max, that means do not go to 13th). Santa Fe to Shartel. Everything outside of those areas are NOT downtown. That's where downtown has always been. Now with the new park and CC we can move the perimeter to the south a bit to the New I-40.

Urbanized
09-08-2016, 05:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^
Man, that ignores all sorts of history, it ignores the standard definition of the generic word "downtown," and it ignores the OKC-specific boundaries created by the DOWNTOWN business improvement district. What you described is essentially the CBD; but ONE of downtown's districts. Downtown is a region, not a district.

Jersey Boss
09-08-2016, 06:07 PM
A question to Urb, RT, KM, or anyone else. Are "downtown" boundaries a static demarcation or can those boundaries expand or even contract over time? Don't have a dog here, just looking for knowledge.

OKCRT
09-08-2016, 06:59 PM
^^^^^^^^^
Man, that ignores all sorts of history, it ignores the standard definition of the generic word "downtown," and it ignores the OKC-specific boundaries created by the DOWNTOWN business improvement district. What you described is essentially the CBD; but ONE of downtown's districts. Downtown is a region, not a district.

I used to live in the area years ago and everyone I knew thought of downtown as the area I have mentioned. Had friends that lived in apartments on 7th between Walker and Lee and we would say lets go downtown to shoot some pool at Kips. Or lets go downtown for a movie at the Rialto or the Centre or the Criterion. I mean most folks north of 6th st didn't consider themselves being downtown. Went to old central high back in the day. Nope,not downtown. Regency Tower Apartments were where most people thought as the northern edge of downtown. No one thought of St. Anthony Hosp as being downtown,not even close. No one at the Municipal Gym playing basketball thought they were downtown. Just sayin

HOT ROD
09-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Downtown Oklahoma City is 13th Street to the River, Classen/Western to I-235.

Core-2-Shore (downtown south) runs past I-40 to the river, so that section be included as Downtown since C2S is; as should the areas south of Bricktown (Producers Coop/Lumberyard) and this will be easier to 'accept' once these areas are developed.

the CBD is included in those boundaries, as are the other downtown districts that make up Downtown Oklahoma City. The Oklahoma Health Center is not part of Downtown Oklahoma City, nor is the Capitol Campus or Plaza, Uptown, or Asian district - these districts are part of the inner city core but not part of the metropolitan core, downtown OKC.

I totally disagree with calling the area of MBG and Chesapeake Arena south as the 'Arts District'. MBG and Chesapeake are in the CBD, as is the Cox Center. South of the Boulevard is Core-2-Shore or Downtown South. Arts District should be the area around the Civic Center - I wish DOKC inc would revise that and stop trying to call something arts because its a park. ... (looks juvenile and immature of OKC to me. ..)