View Full Version : Will success bring the NBA permanantly

mranderson
09-29-2005, 09:05 AM
"If this market supports the NBA franchise, which it appears we are on the verge of doing, the NBA will find us a franchise," he said. "I don't know if the Hornets will be here next year, but if we assume our role of supporting this team, we'll have an NBA franchise if not immediately, then very soon. If you are a proven entity, teams will find you."

This is a paragraph from an article in today's Oklahoman inwhich the management of the Hornets said they chose Oklahoma City over Kansas City because of the success of our minor league teams. That says a lot for Oklahoma City.

In fact, we all know the success of the Blazers. However, the Yard Dawgz were second in attendance in the AFL2, and the RedHawks broke attendance records. Intrepid, Keith and I have t-shirts to show that fact. So, what this does is support what the optomists such as myself have been saying for years. We CAN support major league sports. In fact, I still say we can support the NBA AND the NFL.

Should my instinct saying the Hornets are here to stay be incorrect, expect an expansion team to be in Oklahoma City no later than the 2008-2009 season. Maybe a relocation.

scotplum
09-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Well, it's an interesting question. I think relocation would be the most likely. I know the NBA wants to be in Las Vegas however, the gambling problem could prevent that for some time. Aside from the Hornets, Orlando, Atlanta and Toronto may be the only options for relocation. We would have a lot of competition. I do think we'd have a heads up on many cities should we do well this year.

Patrick
09-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Sure, if we support the NBA well this year, we'll be the first on everyone's list for a possible NBA or even NHL franchise.

My hope would actually be that we support the Hornets well, they return to NO, and then we get our own franchise, possibly with local ownership. That way we aren't accused of stealing a team out of a devastating situation. This test might also show Bob Funk that it's worth investing in an NBA team for OKC.

scotplum
09-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Sure, if we support the NBA well this year, we'll be the first on everyone's list for a possible NBA or even NHL franchise.

My hope would actually be that we support the Hornets well, they return to NO, and then we get our own franchise, possibly with local ownership. That way we aren't accused of stealing a team out of a devastating situation. This test might also show Bob Funk that it's worth investing in an NBA team for OKC.

I agree completely although I doubt we'll get a new NBA franchise. I can't imagine they are wanting to expand right now but perhaps I'm wrong.

If we were to get a team, I sure would love to see Hollis Price on it even if he very rarely got in the game.

mranderson
09-29-2005, 02:15 PM
I agree completely although I doubt we'll get a new NBA franchise. I can't imagine they are wanting to expand right now but perhaps I'm wrong.

If we were to get a team, I sure would love to see Hollis Price on it even if he very rarely got in the game.

The NBA has a history of finding teams for displaced cities such as Charlotte. So, it would not surprise me for the league to have a special expansion just for Oklahoma City. If we keep the Hornets, then New Orleans may get the special expansion.

Local ownership has been mentioned. Not important. George Shinn seems to be sold on Oklahoma City.

scotplum
09-29-2005, 02:32 PM
The NBA has a history of finding teams for displaced cities such as Charlotte. So, it would not surprise me for the league to have a special expansion just for Oklahoma City. If we keep the Hornets, then New Orleans may get the special expansion.

Local ownership has been mentioned. Not important. George Shinn seems to be sold on Oklahoma City.

Hmmm...hadn't even thought of that in reverse. If OKC were to keep the Hornets, I could see that actually ocurring once it was deemed that N.O. was ready for the NBA again.

Here's a question for you, should the Hornets move back to N.O. next year and say a year or two went by and the NHL started knocking on our door yet the NBA was still interested, would we take an NHL team if we knew the NBA was still looking at relocation for OKC? In my opinion, the NBA is in much better shape compared to the NHL yet that being said, the NHL may have more relocations in the near future. I mean, I highly doubt we'd turn down a pro sports team either way, I guess I'd just prefer to see the NBA for several reasons.

mranderson
09-29-2005, 02:46 PM
If we had a choice of NHL or NBA, and could only choose one, my guess is we would go NBA because we will have a track record.

By the way. Blazers, RedHawks and Yard Dawgz... Professional teams. Just minor leagues.

scotplum
09-29-2005, 03:15 PM
If we had a choice of NHL or NBA, and could only choose one, my guess is we would go NBA because we will have a track record.

By the way. Blazers, RedHawks and Yard Dawgz... Professional teams. Just minor leagues.

LOL, once again, I know you know what I mean. From here on out, whenever I say pro team, I mean major league pro team. You don't need to bother correcting me unless you have a complex about it for some reason.

mranderson
09-29-2005, 03:31 PM
LOL, once again, I know you know what I mean. From here on out, whenever I say pro team, I mean major league pro team. You don't need to bother correcting me unless you have a complex about it for some reason.

Pronunciation: pr&-'fesh-n&l, -'fe-sh&-n&l
Function: adjective
1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/profession) b : engaged in one of the learned professions (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/professions) c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/profession) (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b : having a particular profession (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/profession) as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/profession) <a professional patriot>
- pro·fes·sion·al·ly adverb

See number two.

Patrick
09-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Maybe if we get our own team we can keep with our traditions and name them OKC Hicks, OKC Rednecks, or something like that. :)

scotplum
09-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Pronunciation: pr&-'fesh-n&l, -'fe-sh&-n&l
Function: adjective
1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/profession) b : engaged in one of the learned professions (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/professions) c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/profession) (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b : having a particular profession (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/profession) as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/profession) <a professional patriot>
- pro·fes·sion·al·ly adverb

See number two.

LOL, good grief man. I KNOW WHAT PROFESSIONAL MEANS. Are we or are we not talking about an NBA team on a forum for an NBA team and is this thread not about the possibility of bringing a "major league" team to OKC permanently? Get over it man. Why do you feel the need to correct me when you know good and well what I'm talking about? It's not an endearing trait.

Karried
09-29-2005, 05:56 PM
Obviously - a complex! LOL

fromdust
09-29-2005, 06:09 PM
i cant see us supporting both nba and nfl like mr anderson suggest. nba probably, not both, to small for that.

BDP
09-30-2005, 09:10 AM
whenever I say pro team, I mean major league pro team.

As do most people. When someone asks if your town has a pro team, generally they are not asking about your AA hockey team. You can give them that caveat, but they'll probably only be politely impressed.

Besides, according to definition #3 above, a very committed club team could be referred to as professional, and we all know that's not what anyone here is talking about.

mranderson
09-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Ok. I have given you the definition of the word professional and some choose to let it slip through your ears. So, now... Back to topic.

:backtotop :backtotop :backtotop

scotplum
09-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Man I hope we get a pro sports team here permanently!!

:tiphat:

Patrick
09-30-2005, 10:12 PM
That's just plum funny. Dude, let's not stir up the pot anymore on the issue of pro vs. major league.

BDP
10-01-2005, 11:32 AM
I hope all of our sports teams are always professional.

some choose to let it slip through your ears.

Well, at least your hubris didn't slip past us.

scotplum
10-02-2005, 01:57 PM
That's just plum funny. Dude, let's not stir up the pot anymore on the issue of pro vs. major league.

LOL, my bad. I'm only kiddin' around with ya Mr. Anderson.

brannonterry
10-06-2005, 04:32 PM
I am from tulsa and I am very excited for you guys I have gone to school in other states and every argument I get in and say their team is sorry I get the ultimate comback your state dont even have a team damn well we have one now i think they are going to stay the owner is a smart guy and he knows that going back to new orleans with the second lowest attendance before the storm isnt the smartest thing to do

Karried
10-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Welcome, and come on down and watch a game with us! We are very excited and think this will bring a lot of positives to the area... thanks for posting!

Patrick
10-06-2005, 09:54 PM
I agree.....for a major league team to work in Oklahoma, we need the whole state's support. If it fails, the whole state suffers.

brannonterry
10-06-2005, 11:29 PM
thanks guys I along with many others from tulsa will be down there to support the team I just hope backwards oklahoma people will be able to support the past the first year and honeymoon period

metro
10-07-2005, 07:45 AM
I hope your getting tickets soon because it will be sold out in a few weeks unless your going to pay scalped prices

brannonterry
10-07-2005, 09:33 AM
you think they will be sold out? are they that close to selling out the last time i checked they had sold like 10g's worth but i guess that just was season tickets

ColumbiaCowboy
10-07-2005, 10:27 AM
I'd greatly prefer local ownership.