View Full Version : 2016 Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Urbanized
08-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Well, had to start a new thread because the one I posted last year had the year in the title. Anyhoo...

The third local installment of the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride will be September 25th. This event started in Australia and is now worldwide. The first year in OKC there were around 30 riders, and last year we ended up with probably close to 100. If you are interested in participating, you may register on the site...it's a great time, I promise! Here is an explanation of the event, and if you are a rider you can register on the site.

If you're feeling generous and would like to sponsor me, my sponsor page is here: https://www.gentlemansride.com/rider/urbanizedokie

Thanks for your consideration, and if you ride I hope to see you!

White Peacock
08-30-2016, 11:09 AM
I wish they weren't so stern on the style of bikes they allowed. I'm afraid my FZ6 is not hipster enough for their requirements, even if I were to ride it with Iron Rangers and raw selvedge jeans topped with a Uniqlo flannel.

soonerstan56
09-22-2016, 07:21 PM
I agree, my "jap bike" and no facial hair keep me from being qualified according to their "style guide".
It would seem to be a fund raiser that did not want to raise the maximum amount of funds, but an exclusive clique of antique euro owners who want to have a meet up and say they did it for a great cause.

Stan

Urbanized
09-23-2016, 07:04 AM
There is no facial hair requirement of course; only a desire to have riders dress up a bit. Regarding the bike style guide it is way more inclusive than you're representing (see here (https://www.gentlemansride.com/about/style-guide)) , and not at all limited to "antiques;" in fact the bulk of participating bikes are NOT antiques. And by the way, all sorts of other non-conforming bikes participate and are not turned away, including sport bikes and cruisers. They are just trying to encourage a certain flavor of bike.

The amount of butt hurt I've heard from people over the fact that a bunch of guys riding non-mainstream motorcycles might want to join up and go for a ride together is ironic and comical to me. These are guys who (myself included) get sneers and/or puzzled looks anytime we show up at a bike night or try to participate in a poker run or pull up at Pop's or The Pump or whatever.

People who ride these bikes are treated as outsiders at pretty much every other bike event year-round, so pardon us if we have a single structured event each year where we can hang out and ride with other people with similar tastes in motorcycles.

soonerstan56
09-23-2016, 06:53 PM
Urbanized, have a good ride.

Stan