View Full Version : Cox Internet questions

Bobby821
08-02-2016, 07:01 AM
My 2 year price lock was up next month with Cox for Internet, so yesterday I called them up to negotiate for another 2 year price for Internet only which is all we have with Cox. It went easier than I thought and I was able to get a new 2 year deal locked in for the same price I have been paying for the last 2 years which is $59.99 per month for the 150 Mbps Premier internet level locked at this price until Aug 1st 2018. So no price increase for me. I feel pretty good about this and was wondering if you guys think I got a good deal on it or not. What are others paying for Internet only from Cox?

FighttheGoodFight
08-02-2016, 07:53 AM
That is probably the best price. I have ultimate and pay $82. I am worried about their caps though. I get somewhat close to mine every month.

Bullbear
08-02-2016, 08:03 AM
They are pretty easy to negotiate these days.. I have a special rate because I was cancelling them a few years back.. it expires every year.. I call back each year and they give it back to me.. Premier internet and the basic cable for 68.99.. Im happy with that.

barrettd
08-02-2016, 12:37 PM
My 2 year price lock was up next month with Cox for Internet, so yesterday I called them up to negotiate for another 2 year price for Internet only which is all we have with Cox. It went easier than I thought and I was able to get a new 2 year deal locked in for the same price I have been paying for the last 2 years which is $59.99 per month for the 150 Mbps Premier internet level locked at this price until Aug 1st 2018. So no price increase for me. I feel pretty good about this and was wondering if you guys think I got a good deal on it or not. What are others paying for Internet only from Cox?

Is it a contract, or can you cancel at any time?

SoonerDave
08-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Is it a contract, or can you cancel at any time?

Sounds like a price lock that includes an ETF.

Bobby821
08-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Sounds like a price lock that includes an ETF.

It is a 2 yr price lock. I do not know what ETF stands for?

SoonerDave
08-02-2016, 02:33 PM
It is a 2 yr price lock. I do not know what ETF stands for?

Early Termination Fee. Sorry 'bout that.

camrun91
08-02-2016, 03:52 PM
That seems good I just did the same thing but for the Ultimate and I was able to lock in for 2 years at 79.99 i think it may have been 89. Anyways, they explicitly told me it was not a contract.

Insider
08-03-2016, 07:01 AM
I have the exact 2 year plan as the OP and was explicitly told it was a price lock, but there is no contract or ETF. I have had it since July 18th.

SoonerDave
08-03-2016, 07:23 AM
I have the exact 2 year plan as the OP and was explicitly told it was a price lock, but there is no contract or ETF. I have had it since July 18th.

If you're "locked in" for two years at a fixed price, that's a contract, regardless of what the retention person tells you. I'd be interested to hear what they had to say if you tried to cancel in, say, six months. If they specifically told you that you had the option to cancel at any time with no penalty, great :) Just make sure you keep really good notes of when you got the lock and with whom you spoke when you got it :) :)

sacolton
08-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Whoa .... waaaaait a minute. I'm paying $81 for the Premier Plan. Time to make a call to Cox.

Just chatted with a Cox rep. No dice. They don't do "contracts" unless you buy all three services with a pre-made bundle. Don't know how you can get a such a deal for Ultimate internet for less than $99.

Insider
08-04-2016, 07:06 AM
Whoa .... waaaaait a minute. I'm paying $81 for the Premier Plan. Time to make a call to Cox.

Just chatted with a Cox rep. No dice. They don't do "contracts" unless you buy all three services with a pre-made bundle. Don't know how you can get a such a deal for Ultimate internet for less than $99.

When I call Cox (as I do every time my discount ends), I ask for the Retentions department (or follow the prompts to cancel service). The Retention department is able to do so much more than the standard representatives. The key is be nice and be honest. I was told point blank (I even repeated it and they again confirmed) that there is no contract and I can leave at anytime with no penalty. I now pay $59.99 for 150 Mbps for 24 months.

Bobby821
08-04-2016, 07:16 AM
Yes, the key is to be polite and go to the prompt in the phone system to cancel/downgrade your service. It could also help you out if you have been a longtime customer of Cox, I have been with them over 17 years.

tfvc.org
08-04-2016, 02:33 PM
What are the caps and what happens when you hit them? I live in the country and if I move to the city I will probably get the 300 down service.

FighttheGoodFight
08-04-2016, 02:52 PM
What are the caps and what happens when you hit them? I live in the country and if I move to the city I will probably get the 300 down service.

Starter . 200 GB
Essential 250 GB
Preferred 350 GB
Premier 700 GB
Ultimate 1000 GB
Gigablast (Where Available) 2000 GB

They just send a strongly worded email so far.