View Full Version : Get Prepared During City of OKC's PREPAREFEST

FritterGirl
07-29-2016, 01:20 PM
Civic Center hosts inaugural PREPARE FEST for emergency safety Aug. 20

Being prepared and knowing what to do during an emergency can make a life-or-death difference for your family. Learn how to stay safe from potential emergency situations during PREPARE FEST – the City of Oklahoma City’s first emergency preparedness festival. The festival runs 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 20 at the Civic Center Music Hall, 201 N Walker Ave.

PREPARE FEST will highlight the importance of creating a readiness plan for natural disasters including tornadoes, floods, earthquakes and wildfires as well as public health or safety threats such as active shooter incidents, and more. Residents can speak with local emergency responders and community service organizations as well as attend an emergency preparedness seminar that begins at 11 a.m.

Seminar speakers include police Lt. Frank Barnes from the Oklahoma City Office of Emergency Management, National Weather Service meteorologist Rick Smith and the state Health Department’s Glenda Ford Lee. Oklahoma City Police Sgt. Jason Knight will introduce the City’s new “See Something, Say Something” program in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
At the end of the seminar, participants will take part in a mock evacuation drill for the Civic Center Music Hall. The drill will help Civic Center staff and volunteers train to evacuate people from a large event, and participants can see a large event evacuation plan in action.

Admission to PREPARE FEST is free, but advanced registration is required by visiting the calendar pages of okcciviccenter.com or okc.gov/parks.

Seminar participants may enjoy a free lunch courtesy of the Municipal Employees Credit Union and take home a free weather radio courtesy of Midland Radio (while supplies last).

Participating partners include the Oklahoma City Office of Emergency Management, Oklahoma City Police Department, Oklahoma City Fire Department, Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management, Oklahoma State Department of Health, Oklahoma City-County Health Department, Oklahoma City Animal Welfare, KOCO-Channel 5, American Red Cross, American Storm Shelter Association, Oklahoma Insurance Department, National Weather Service, Oklahoma Climatological Survey, EMSA, United Way of Central Oklahoma, Neighborhood Alliance, Long-term Area Recovery Committee, Midland Radio and Oklahoma Gas & Electric.

For more information, call the Civic Center Music Hall at (405) 297-2584 or the Oklahoma City Parks & Recreation Department at (405) 297-3882.
###

catch22
07-29-2016, 01:28 PM
I am glad the city is doing this.

One suggestion I have for others is to make a habit of examining your surroundings when entering a building. It takes me about 10 seconds of brain power, and doesn't have to be a big deal.

I look for: emergency exits, fire extinguisher or fire alarm handle, and I look at the ceiling to see if there's overhead fire sprinklers (can I expect water to be running into my eyes if I am evacuating). I also make note of any wall mounted first aid kits or heart machines.

It takes just a few seconds and could possibly mean life or death, or the quick first aid of someone injured or suffering.

bradh
07-29-2016, 02:57 PM
Any meeting or large group function my company has across the country, the meeting lead will always begin by pointing out the rooms emergency exits, fire extinguishers, and other pertinent safety info.