View Full Version : Hibdon's on N May

SoonerQueen
07-22-2016, 12:23 AM
It closed several months ago, and was torn down this week. A sign is up saying a new Hibdon's will be built soon. Good news for us in the neighborhood.

Brett
07-22-2016, 03:00 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. Hibdon's razed the location in MWC at Air Depot & Jarman and put the parcel of land up for sale. N. May Ave is high rent and anything related to automobiles or car repair has been pushed to the fringes of the city or to the surrounding suburbs.

Mr. Blue Sky
04-23-2018, 02:47 PM
Hibdon Tires Plus at Wilshire and May was indeed rebuilt and it is nice BUT, stay away! They tried to rip me off in a BAD way recently. Short story is that I went in for a vehicle check, a $39 inspection that was on sale for $9.95. After waiting almost three hours they come out with the results. $1,100.00+ worth of work that "needs" to be done. I took the car to two other places to basically check the same stuff. I waited until they were finished to ask about the supposed repairs Hibdon said I needed. They BOTH asked me "who told you that?" when I told them another place said I needed something related to the engine and several other things. The two others came within $75 of their estimates of around $300. Again, Hibdon's tried to hit me up for $1,100+.

Hibdon is no longer the Hibdon family, but it's not the Tire's Plus out of Florida either, It's now all owned by Bridgestone-Firestone and has been for quite awhile. Firestone Auto in OKC is the same company as Hibdon. Of course they don't want you to know that a Firestone store and a Hibdon store is the same, but they are. Great cheery salespeople selling you services you don't really need, the perfect con.

CloudDeckMedia
04-23-2018, 04:11 PM
Interesting. Can anyone verify the ownership connection between Hibdon Tire's Plus & Firestone?

baralheia
04-23-2018, 06:23 PM
Interesting. Can anyone verify the ownership connection between Hibdon Tire's Plus & Firestone?

I can. Former roommate used to work for Hibdon's. All of his mail from his employer listed Bridgestone/Firestone North America as the return address. (or something like that, it's been several years ago now!)

MikeLucky
04-23-2018, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't take any of my cars to any Hibdon or Firestone. Just saying

barrettd
04-24-2018, 01:47 AM
Hibdon Tires Plus at Wilshire and May was indeed rebuilt and it is nice BUT, stay away! They tried to rip me off in a BAD way recently. Short story is that I went in for a vehicle check, a $39 inspection that was on sale for $9.95. After waiting almost three hours they come out with the results. $1,100.00+ worth of work that "needs" to be done. I took the car to two other places to basically check the same stuff. I waited until they were finished to ask about the supposed repairs Hibdon said I needed. They BOTH asked me "who told you that?" when I told them another place said I needed something related to the engine and several other things. The two others came within $75 of their estimates of around $300. Again, Hibdon's tried to hit me up for $1,100+.

Hibdon is no longer the Hibdon family, but it's not the Tire's Plus out of Florida either, It's now all owned by Bridgestone-Firestone and has been for quite awhile. Firestone Auto in OKC is the same company as Hibdon. Of course they don't want you to know that a Firestone store and a Hibdon store is the same, but they are. Great cheery salespeople selling you services you don't really need, the perfect con.

I had a similar experience with the one on NW Expwy ten years or so ago, and will never return to a Hibdon's.

d-usa
04-24-2018, 07:33 AM

I think when I checked last, they had identical websites with different branding.

Mr. Blue Sky
04-24-2018, 08:06 AM

Here’s a news story about a new retail division president. The first paragraph confirms the connection.
https://www.bridgestoneamericas.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2017/bridgestone-names-joe-venezia-president-for-retail-operations

Here is the Firestone Complete Autocare Warranty Supplement. Look under Where To Go
https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tires/warranty-supplement/

CloudDeckMedia
04-24-2018, 08:47 AM
Who WOULD you recommend for a set of tires?

barrettd
04-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Who WOULD you recommend for a set of tires?

I don't know if they're the BEST, but they've always done me right. Discount Tire on Penn near Memorial. They've also got a pretty good website where you can reserve tires, make appointments, etc. Last time I bought a set of tires from them, they also price matched Walmart on a similar, not exact, set of tires. Their warranty is good, too. We got 2 brand new tires from them towards the end of their extended warranty on my wife's car, no hassle at all.

Johnb911
04-24-2018, 12:51 PM
I don't know if they're the BEST, but they've always done me right. Discount Tire on Penn near Memorial. They've also got a pretty good website where you can reserve tires, make appointments, etc. Last time I bought a set of tires from them, they also price matched Walmart on a similar, not exact, set of tires. Their warranty is good, too. We got 2 brand new tires from them towards the end of their extended warranty on my wife's car, no hassle at all.

Seconded. They also do free regular rotations with tire purchases. Not sure if other shops offer the same thing, but it's nice regardless

Rover
04-24-2018, 03:18 PM
I also second Discount Tire. Really run well. Prices are good.

MadMonk
04-24-2018, 03:35 PM
I also second Discount Tire. Really run well. Prices are good.

Same here. I've purchased four sets of tires from them on various vehicles (two of which were special orders) and I've never had a bad experience. I'm due for another set on my wife's SUV and I'll be going back soon. I wish they did alignments though. It's nice to be able to get a fresh set of tires and be sure your car is in alignment at the same time/place.

Jersey Boss
04-24-2018, 03:59 PM
Seconded. They also do free regular rotations with tire purchases. Not sure if other shops offer the same thing, but it's nice regardless

Not only this but they will extend this service to other cars you may own where the tires were purchased else where or if your other car was purchased new.

MikeLucky
04-25-2018, 12:27 AM
Another vote for any of the Discount Tires in the city. Top notch service and great prices. Pick your tires online, make an appointment, and decline the warranty. When you get there they will discount the tires to convince you to get the warranty, so then you say yes. In and out with new tires in about 30 minutes.

barrettd
04-25-2018, 06:39 AM
Another vote for any of the Discount Tires in the city. Top notch service and great prices. Pick your tires online, make an appointment, and decline the warranty. When you get there they will discount the tires to convince you to get the warranty, so then you say yes. In and out with new tires in about 30 minutes.

Good point. It always seems like my final price has the warranty "thrown in", though I can't remember much haggling to get it done that way. They practically bid themselves down when I've dealt with them. One of the better purchasing experiences.

Mr. Blue Sky
04-25-2018, 03:24 PM
I should have said in my rant about Hibdon/Firestone that they told me as part of that $1,100 quote that three of my tires needed replacing. I took my car to Discount Tire to have them checked and they said my tires were fine and gave me the tread numbers. They even offered to rotate them for free after I told them about my bad experience at Hibdon. I didn’t take them up on the offer but it was appreciated. I have bought tires from them in the past in Chicago and DFW. Good to hear others have had good experiences from them here in OKC.

Jeepnokc
04-25-2018, 04:44 PM
I have used Discount tire for last several years for tires (with company cars...I have to put tires on 7 vehicles) and have been generally happy with them However, the last set I purchased were large all terrain nittos for my Jeep and Discount was $300 more expensive than Hibdon for exact same set of tires. I know discount will match but was so appalled at the gouging, i just went with Hibdon.