View Full Version : What was your favorite birthday present as an adult?

MadMonk
07-20-2016, 12:48 PM
I have a birthday coming up soon and my wife is bugging me for a list of things I might want. My problem is that if I want something (within reason), I'll just go buy it. So I don't have much of a "wish list", other than things I don't feel justified in purchasing (too extravagant, etc).

So, I'm looking for unique birthday present ideas within a budget of a couple hundred bucks at most (but spending that much is not required). I have a wide variety of interests from outdoorsy stuff to geeky stuff so hold nothing back.

kevinpate
07-20-2016, 01:11 PM
A firepit and some comfy chairs, or if you have, then a rick of wood so you can enjoy them more.

A nicer grill or smoker. If yours has some wear but still works, donate to a non-profit of your choice..

A weekend away in SE OK mountains or across the line at Wilhelmina Lodge in the AR state park of same name on talimena scenic drive
or
A nice cabin near Broken Bow
or
A nice cabin in Medicine Park down near Mt Scott
or
A weekend or so at Casa del Gavilan, just outside Cimarron, NM
www.casadelgavilan.com (http://www.casadelgavilan.com)

jerrywall
07-20-2016, 01:16 PM
A raspberry pi plus assorted accessories/kits.

A decent telescope.

Lock pick school in a box - https://www.lockpickshop.com/ST-23.html
(I love puzzles and working out how things work, so this was a fun gift.)

A drone.

A precision metal top. https://www.jaywhitecreations.com/product/precision-spinning-top-set/

Pete
07-20-2016, 01:56 PM
A really nice home-cooked meal of favorites.

Let's face it, we all pretty much buy everything else we want, whenever we want.

Dustin
07-20-2016, 02:20 PM
A couple of years ago, the 5 book boxed set of A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin was gifted to me.

Best. Present. Ever!

sooner88
07-20-2016, 02:26 PM
I'm with the food. I usually go out for a nice dinner or cook one at home.

Like others have mentioned I buy the things that I want/need for myself. If they do want to give a gift, I like for them to surprise because it will be a gift I would not have thought of myself (and you can usually return it if it's something you absolutely don't like).

MadMonk
07-20-2016, 03:09 PM
All good stuff. To be honest, I'm happy with just an Amazon gift card that I can use whenever the fancy strikes me, but my wife is adamant that I should get a proper gift. I'm always stumped whenever I'm asked what I would like as a gift, but without that pressure, I can wander around Home Depot and browse Amazon picking out little things that I wouldn't mind having all over the place. Another thing is that some of the stuff that I really, really want, I'd never ask someone else to buy for me - either because they are too expensive, or I'm too picky about the item and want to pick it out myself. :)

bradh
07-20-2016, 07:23 PM
For my 30th my wife conspired behind my back with my three best friends and flew them up here for a weekend, got us Thunder tickets and we just did our thing. Was so awesome. Another great gift she got me was the Texas Speed School (maybe not the actual name) and TMS where you get 10 live laps in a NASCAR with an instructor riding shotgun and 10 other cars on track at the same time.

ljbab728
07-20-2016, 07:52 PM
My ideal birthday is always just having my kids want to spend time with me. It's usually when going out to eat on them.

reverend
07-20-2016, 09:23 PM
My wife got me Thuder tickets when the Mavericks were in town (I'm a Mavs fan) and we had a nice evening of drinking and dinner before the game. Nicest birthday I've had in a few years,

Brett
07-21-2016, 04:23 AM
Besides cash or good food, I prefer quality, well-made hand tools that will last a lifetime.

Bellaboo
07-21-2016, 06:36 AM
On my 60th, which was kind of special, the Mrs and I went to London for 3 days then took the high speed chunnel train to Paris for three days. On my birthday, we had the morning in London and the evening in Paris. Planned it that way. This was a once in a lifetime b-day trip.

White Peacock
07-21-2016, 08:06 AM
This year, my wife bought me a bottle of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille for my birthday. It's my favorite fragrance, and well outside the price range I'd spend on myself for something like that, so it made for an awesome gift.

turnpup
07-21-2016, 09:08 AM
I wish we had the like button. Everyone's illustrations are so nice!

Today is my husband's birthday. I was lucky because a week or so ago we were in the hardware store and he mentioned he wanted a battery-operated weed eater. He has no real need for one, as we have a regular yard crew, and he said he didn't want to spend that much money for something he didn't really need. It was perfect for me to get it for him and surprise him with it this morning in the garage. Even though it wasn't much, he was so happy and went to work with a big grin on his face.

Richard at Remax
07-21-2016, 09:41 AM
Im 32 and the wife got me a 12 month subscription to Foot Cardigan. http://www.footcardigan.com/ I get awesome, quality, and quirky designed socks every month. 16 year old me is not impressed.