View Full Version : KFOR vs DISH

rte66man
07-10-2016, 09:14 PM
I'm tired of the propaganda from both sides. Can someone please post a balanced analysis of why they are in this pissing match?

OKCisOK4me
07-11-2016, 03:35 AM
Who cares...if KFOR is a loved channel, just buy an antenna and keep Dish for all your other wants.

jn1780
07-11-2016, 07:41 AM
That would defeat the purpose of having a DVR though.

SoonerDave
07-11-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm tired of the propaganda from both sides. Can someone please post a balanced analysis of why they are in this pissing match?

Same reason most ANY (insert local channel) has a protracted argument with (insert name of cable or sat carrier here). (Insert local channel) wants more retransmission fees than (insert name of cable or sat carrier) wants to pay. So while they scream and yell publicly at each other and tel the world why their side is Clearly Morally Right, and engage in all this idiotic threat business that no one really believes, eventually, last minute, someone decides on a common number, and everyone goes away happy until the next agreement expires.

Outhunder
07-11-2016, 11:50 AM
That would defeat the purpose of having a DVR though.

I believe you are still able to use the dvr for stations thru antenna

Outhunder
07-11-2016, 11:51 AM
I have Dish and I can honestly say, no one in this household has griped one bit about not having KFOR.

Laramie
07-11-2016, 02:02 PM
Who cares...if KFOR is a loved channel, just buy an antenna and keep Dish for all your other wants.

Good point!

http://wafflesatnoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/clear-tv-stores.jpg

I purchased the antenna from Walmart (MacArthur & Reno store). Most stores will have them near the front; not in the 'As seen on TV' or Electronics section, only paid $14.99.

You also get ME TV free (one of Cox favorite channels) which is Dish's equivalent to TV Land 106; also a clearer signal that you don't partially/completely lose during the initial onset of a rain or storm.

Tribune is attempting to extract more money from Dish to continue televising these local channels (KFOR 4/KAUT 43); especially since this is an Olympic year.

Congress needs to put an end to this gouging or no one will be able to afford Cox Cable, Dish or Direct-TV.

Bunty
07-11-2016, 11:43 PM

But that adds undesirable complexity to the situation in which a number of people don't want to try to deal with. Half of it has to do with knowing where the hell to plug in the antenna to the back of the TV. Then the 2nd half of the problem is knowing which button to push on the remote control that corresponds to the antenna input. Other people will say it's too much of a dammed bother from having to switch from the antenna input to the Dish input every time when desired and vice versa.

Ginkasa
07-12-2016, 06:26 AM
Good point!

I purchased the antenna from Walmart (MacArthur & Reno store). Most stores will have them near the front; not in the 'As seen on TV' or Electronics section, only paid $14.99.

You also get ME TV free (one of Cox favorite channels) which is Dish's equivalent to TV Land 106; also a clearer signal that you don't partially/completely lose during the initial onset of a rain or storm.

Tribune is attempting to extract more money from Dish to continue televising these local channels (KFOR 4/KAUT 43); especially since this is an Olympic year.

Congress needs to put an end to this gouging or no one will be able to afford Cox Cable, Dish or Direct-TV.

I love the advertising on that box that makes it seem like OTA TV is some revelatory new discovery that will change the TV landscape for the better.

SoonerDave
07-12-2016, 10:02 AM
I love the advertising on that box that makes it seem like OTA TV is some revelatory new discovery that will change the TV landscape for the better.

Almost as much as I like the "Digital Antenna" moniker. Just makes me cringe.

Bunty
07-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Cut the cable could be a reality for sure, if the sub channels of the TV channels would broadcast the most popular cable channels.

jerrywall
07-12-2016, 01:02 PM
Good point!

On top of this solution, I also have a TIVO OTA dvr. 4 tuner, and also has netflix, hulu, youtube, hbo now, and amazon prime built in. I get about 30 or so channels crystal clear, and can record any of the shows, skip commercials, and for the cable channels I don't get, I can catch most of them on Hulu and HBO Now. If I got really desperate, I could add on slingtv for $10 a month which has ESPN, AMC, CNN, HGTV, Comedy Central, Cartoon Network, HISTORY, Disney Channel, ESPN2, TNT, Food Network, TBS, BBC America and more.

The Tivo service is $15 a month, and then I can ala cart what other services I want to get (Sling, Netflix, Hulu, etc). Even adding in several of them, I'm looking at less than $50 a month for full DVR capabilities, plus HBO, on demand movies, and plenty of cable channels and shows.

d-usa
07-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Almost as much as I like the "Digital Antenna" moniker. Just makes me cringe.

Isn't that actually a real thing though? We had an analog antenna in 2008 (I think) and that was the year they switched from analog to digital signals and you needed a digital converter for the signal.

So I imagine that despite clever marketing, "digital antenna" is actually a thing if it includes the decoder needed for the digital signal.

BoulderSooner
07-13-2016, 07:14 AM
Isn't that actually a real thing though? We had an analog antenna in 2008 (I think) and that was the year they switched from analog to digital signals and you needed a digital converter for the signal.

So I imagine that despite clever marketing, "digital antenna" is actually a thing if it includes the decoder needed for the digital signal.

No rabbit ears will pick up at hdtv signal.

Roger S
07-13-2016, 07:47 AM
With the new TV's on the market you can pick up HDTV using a paper clip straightened out and inserted into the antenna jack on your TV..... It's not going to have great range but it does work.

rte66man
07-13-2016, 07:24 PM

I do, That's why I asked the question. I long ago cut the cord and have Dish for everything but local and an antenna on my chimney for local channels when the need arises. Thanks to Sooner Dave for a non-snarky answer.

bradh
07-13-2016, 09:03 PM
No rabbit ears will pick up at hdtv signal.

Right, if you have a digital TV (which most everyone does now), good ol rabbit ears get you a wonderful HD signal.

Laramie
07-15-2016, 07:34 PM
:eek: Saw a tube TV sitting out on the curb in a NW area neighborhood with a sign on it; free TV, it works.

boscorama
09-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Channel 4 is back on DISH. I knew it wouldn't take long once football got started in earnest.

stile99
09-04-2016, 06:23 AM
While I have no actual data to back this up (nobody does because every time this happens both parties refuse to discuss details and just say we're happy to have come to a deal, even if five minutes prior they had knives at each other's throat), the rumor I heard is some of the bigger stations went to Tribune and said "Here's how much money we are personally losing because of this, will you be cutting us a check?". I know that both KTLA and KCPQ were REALLY pissed and rather vocal about it, due to Vin Scully and the Seahawks, respectively. I read somewhere that Tribune lost $18 million the last time they tried this tactic with a provider, and were in line to lose $50 million a year from Dish.

Bill Robertson
09-04-2016, 03:09 PM
:eek: Saw a tube TV sitting out on the curb in a NW area neighborhood with a sign on it; free TV, it works.Either there's more than one or I saw that one too.

kevinpate
09-04-2016, 03:16 PM
:eek: Saw a tube TV sitting out on the curb in a NW area neighborhood with a sign on it; free TV, it works.

Between hand made free signs and craigslist free section posting, one can clear out a lot of unneeded items. Sure you can post items for sale, but invariably someone will want to haggle 30 down to 20, or 20 down to 12, etc.

I value my time far more than typical bargain basement items, especially if the goal is be done with it and see it gone.

Bill Robertson
09-04-2016, 03:30 PM
Between hand made free signs and craigslist free section posting, one can clear out a lot of unneeded items. Sure you can post items for sale, but invariably someone will want to haggle 30 down to 20, or 20 down to 12, etc.

I value my time far more than typical bargain basement items, especially if the goal is be done with it and see it gone.I agree. We bought a bigger TV a couple months ago. The old 32 inch LG LCD (at least I think it's LCD) is fine. We just wanted a bit bigger one. I don't want to list it and I can't bring myself to just set it by the curb. The curb will win when I get tired of it taking up space.

turnpup
09-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Plus, it's nice to think that somebody driving by will have a use/need for whatever it is you put out at the curb, and it'll brighten their day for having found it.

Bill Robertson
09-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Plus, it's nice to think that somebody driving by will have a use/need for whatever it is you put out at the curb, and it'll brighten their day for having found it.
Hadn't looked at it that way but very true.

traxx
09-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Channel 4 is back on DISH. I knew it wouldn't take long once football got started in earnest.

I'm sure all those Notre Dame fans living in Oklahoma called channel 4 and that's what did it.