View Full Version : Sitting on park bench illegal?

mranderson
09-28-2005, 12:55 PM
A woman in New York was cited and faces a $1,000 fine and 90 days in the slammer because she sat on a park bench with no children in her control.

The park department claims this is the law to prevent pedephiles from harassing kids. So, when asked if she was with chilren, she said no and was cited.

Do you think this is fair? (yes or no only, please) Why?

No. I think this is a stupid law or ordinance. If you are tired and a bench is available, then you should be allowed to sit. It is the parents responsibility to watch their kids.

Winterhawk
09-28-2005, 01:10 PM
A woman in New York was cited and faces a $1,000 fine and 90 days in the slammer because she sat on a park bench with no children in her control.

The park department claims this is the law to prevent pedephiles from harassing kids. So, when asked if she was with chilren, she said no and was cited.

No. I think this is a stupid law or ordinance. If you are tired and a bench is available, then you should be allowed to sit. It is the parents responsibility to watch their kids.

Well we might not agree often, but yes if there is a bench in a public park, sit on it.

Stupid Oklahoma Laws

# Females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by the state.

# Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property.

# Oklahoma will not tolerate anyone taking a bite out of another's hamburger.

# It is against the law to read a comic book while operating a motor vehicle.

# Whaling is illegal.

# It is illegal to have the hind legs of farm animals in your boots.

# People who make "ugly faces" at dogs may be fined and/or jailed.

# Cars must be tethered outside of public buildings.

# Oral sex is a misdemeanor and is punishable by one year in jail and a $2,500 fine.

# Anyone arrested for soliciting a hooker must have their name and picture shown on television.

# It's statutory rape for a man over 18 to have sex with a female under the age of 18, provided she's a virgin. If she's not a virgin, it is okay, but the said person must be over 16. If both parties are under 18, then the law does not apply.

# Tattoos are banned.

# No one may spit on a sidewalk.

# It is illegal to wear your boots to bed.

# It is illegal to have sex before you are married.

# Fish may not be contained in fishbowls while on a public bus.

# Tissues are not to be found in the back of one's car.

# It is illegal for the owner of a bar to allow anyone inside to pretend to have sex with a buffalo.

# If you wear New York Jets clothing, you may be put in jail. (Ada)

# If ones dog is run over by a car, the owner must pay for the dog's disposal. (Bartlesville)

# No person may own more than two adult cats. (Bartlesville)

# It is illegal to cause "annoying vibrations" in the city limits. (Bartlesville)

# Persons may not play catch on any city street. (Bartlesville)

# Molesting an automobile is illegal. (Clinton)

# It is unlawful to put any hypnotized person in a display window. (Hawthahorne)

# Women may not gamble in the nude, in lingerie, or while wearing a towel. (Schulter )

# You may not open a soda bottle without the supervision of a licensed engineer. (Tulsa)

# Elephants are not to be taken into the downtown area. (Tulsa)

# One's mode of transportation must be tied up while not attended. (Wynona)

# Mules may not drink out of bird baths. (Wynona)

# Clothes may not be washed in bird baths. (Wynona)

# It is illegal to tie a horse in front of city hall. (Yukon)

# While passing another vehicle, you must honk your horn. (Yukon)

Really Dumb Oklahoma City Laws

#No one may walk backwards downtown while eating a hamburger.

#The mayor may not go on strike.

#While it is legal to serve alcohol in a pool hall, all intoxicated persons must leave the premises.

#One may not tip over a casket at a funeral.

#It is illegal to own a stink bomb.

mranderson
09-28-2005, 01:34 PM
"#It is illegal to own a stink bomb."

(A bit off topic, then back on it) I know a lot of people who would be commiting crimes just walking down the street.

karlanee
09-28-2005, 01:49 PM
mranderson:

"#It is illegal to own a stink bomb."

(A bit off topic, then back on it) I know a lot of people who would be commiting crimes just walking down the street.

STOP STOP STOP!!!
My sides hurt from laughing so much!! LOL

That was a good one! I now have to explain to my coworkers why I'm laughing so hard.http://www.okctalk.com/images/Smailies%2001-28-08/lol2.gif

Curt
09-28-2005, 02:51 PM

Once again the law punnishing an innocent person instead of the true criminal. One reason stupid tickets are handed out is to simply collect revenue. Not much revenue for the city in arresting a drug dealer or child molestor, but handing out stupid tickets is easy revenue for the city. Oh yah, that Mercedes driver that parked in the no parking zone that has diplomatic immunity? we'll let him go because we have to kiss another country's ass and screw our own people.

kahloist
09-30-2005, 03:51 PM
It's odd how the laws are made to protect the people yet so many times they hinder more than help.