View Full Version : Oklahoma City, Big League City . . .

Pages : [1] 2 3

Laramie
07-06-2016, 06:59 AM
Oklahoma City will survive...

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1335184202l/13613699.jpg

We are a well-established 'breakthrough' market since becoming a big league city in 2008-09. OKC had a two year trial run hosting the displaced New Orleans Hornets (post Katrina) and seven years with our Thunder. Nine years of NBA success as a big league city.

Oklahoma City's attendance figures since hosting the NBA:

2005-06 New Orleans-Oklahoma City Hornets 18,168
2006-07 New Orleans-Oklahoma City Hornets 17,833
2007-08 One year Hiatus
2008-09 Oklahoma City Thunder 18,693 - Ford Center seating capacity: 19,135
2009-10 Oklahoma City Thunder 18,003 - Ford Center seating capacity: 18,203

2010-16 Oklahoma City Thunder 18,203 (255 consecutive sellouts) 5.25 seasons of consecutive sellouts. OKC is an established NBA city.

Chesapeake Energy Arena upgrades: Seating configuration to accommodate national TV & address the cup holder issue with seats on court side floor level; new southwest exterior entrance as part of the $90 million arena upgrades.

http://www.chesapeakearena.com/assets/img/slide_exteriorfull.jpg

FighttheGoodFight
07-06-2016, 08:03 AM
2018 will be the interesting season. Everyone have locked in tickets for 2017 but if Russ leaves or is traded I could see people not renewing. We will see!

Anonymous.
07-06-2016, 08:08 AM
2018 will be the interesting season. Everyone have locked in tickets for 2017 but if Russ leaves or is traded I could see people not renewing. We will see!

No chance. Even if Russ left, the arena will still sell tickets. If anything, perhaps a price decrease in the future if the team gets really bad.

Bellaboo
07-06-2016, 08:50 AM
No chance. Even if Russ left, the arena will still sell tickets. If anything, perhaps a price decrease in the future if the team gets really bad.

I've had club level for years and currently not considering renewal. We spent 10,000 this past season and have decided we could go to a few great games for way less and enjoy it more with better seating (even though our seats are good). It's hard to go to 5 game home stands in a row, even selling some of the mid week games.

We will make that decision in March, but we've been thinking about it for a while now. Even considering splitting the season with someone else.

AP
07-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Even considering splitting the season with someone else.

My wife's parents have done this for the last few years in the lower level at a 75/25 split, but have been considering the full tickets recently. (They bought into the other person's tickets and now want their own.) Haven't talked to them about their thoughts now that KD and potentially Russ will be gone.

betts
07-07-2016, 08:38 AM
I'm going to keep buying my season tickets. I feel like the team needs support now more than ever. If we have a chance of Russ staying it won't happen without "the best [fairweather?] fans in the NBA." And it's fun watching a team learn together. I get a lot of satisfaction out of player growth.

PhiAlpha
07-07-2016, 08:47 AM

My only silver lining if KD left was that I would finally be able to get season tickets.

Having said that, I would obviously rather the team stay together and continue overpaying on stubhub.

Patrick
07-07-2016, 08:53 AM

People keep saying that ticket sales are going to drop off with KD leaving. One thing you have to remember is that when the Hornets were here, we sold out a lot of games, and they were barely a playoff team at that. I think people will continue to support the Thunder through the good times and bad. Afterall, it's a major league team....what else is going on in town?

catch22
07-07-2016, 09:03 AM
A lot of people will hold on to them for a few years if a slump forms. You lose your seats if you don't renew--so if you have some good lower level seats and decline to renew, someone else will probably come in and buy them. No guarantee you will get them back after a couple years if the team recovers.

Loud city season tickets may suffer but the lower level ticket holders will hold on to them.

FighttheGoodFight
07-07-2016, 09:32 AM
People keep saying that ticket sales are going to drop off with KD leaving. One thing you have to remember is that when the Hornets were here, we sold out a lot of games, and they were barely a playoff team at that. I think people will continue to support the Thunder through the good times and bad. Afterall, it's a major league team....what else is going on in town?

I think there is a difference there. People went because it was new and exciting. Also ticket prices were dirt cheap as well.

There is a lot to do in town and with Oklahoma being in an oil recession game tickets might be the thing they cut.

I have a few friends who are season ticket holders who have wanted out for a while as the price keeps going up so this might be the nail in the coffin for those on the fence.

I hope people will continue to go but if they don't then I'll enjoy the lower ticket prices!

jn1780
07-07-2016, 09:37 AM

The Hornet ticket sales is not really a good comparison. Everyone knew they were going to leave eventually so you had to enjoy every moment they were here.

A lot will depend on how Oklahoma's economy does over the next few years also. People won't pay the same price to see a team struggling if the economy is doing poorly.

king183
07-07-2016, 09:39 AM
I'm going to keep buying my season tickets. I feel like the team needs support now more than ever. If we have a chance of Russ staying it won't happen without "the best [fairweather?] fans in the NBA." And it's fun watching a team learn together. I get a lot of satisfaction out of player growth.

Absolutely. I've been a season ticket holder since season 3, and I plan to keep renewing. I know watching a dominant, winning team is really fun, but often watching a team develop from young upstarts is even more fun. Heck, just think back to when the Thunder first started. We sucked, but we developed rapidly into one of the most powerful forces in the NBA. Who knows if we will do that again? Yet, with a really good coach and a really good GM, you can be guaranteed it will be fun watching this team grow for years to come.

Bellaboo--I used to have season tickets in club level and I decided it wasn't worth the price to have access to "exclusive" bars and restaurants. I would suggest either moving seats to baseline lower level or front row Loud City or splitting tickets with a friend or family member. I think you're right that attending every single game can be difficult (and sometimes tiring), so splitting tickets would be a really good option, in my opinion.

Bellaboo
07-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Bellaboo--I used to have season tickets in club level and I decided it wasn't worth the price to have access to "exclusive" bars and restaurants. I would suggest either moving seats to baseline lower level or front row Loud City or splitting tickets with a friend or family member. I think you're right that attending every single game can be difficult (and sometimes tiring), so splitting tickets would be a really good option, in my opinion.

I would like to split them down the middle, every other game, with someone if possible. Section 220, 4th row in the center of the row. Any takers ? (And the wide seats to boot)

AP
07-07-2016, 09:50 AM
I'm interested.

Bullbear
07-07-2016, 11:28 AM
Oh I am sure a few fairweather fans will dump their tickets. .and I will bet people on the waiting list will snatch em up. I don't see it making a huge difference at the box office. but I could be wrong.

dankrutka
07-07-2016, 11:34 AM
I share 1/3rd of my season tickets... even though I haven't lived in OKC since 2011. Not giving them up now. I'm a Thunder fan, not a KD fan.

OKCisOK4me
07-07-2016, 06:11 PM
I would never be able to afford full season tickets but if they offered a day time ticket package, I'd be all over that (since I go to bed by 8pm Sun-Thu)!

Tundra
07-07-2016, 06:37 PM
I've had 4 club level seats from day one, I don't plan on giving mine up.... I think it sucks that KD is gone, but it's just entertainment, even the Bucks score 100 points a night, course you wanna win and go to the playoffs , but life goes on.

OKCretro
07-07-2016, 10:41 PM
I would like to split them down the middle, every other game, with someone if possible. Section 220, 4th row in the center of the row. Any takers ? (And the wide seats to boot)

Honestly the best way to split season tickets is to have a draft for the games. That is the most fair. What if Cleveland is on Sunday, bucks on Tuesday and golden state Thursday? One person gets the caves and golden state while the other gets the bucks.

Family has 4 together in the lower level opposite of the visiting team bench. If we gave them up not sure we would ever get 4 together in the same section again.
Have had our seats since year 1

TU 'cane
07-08-2016, 08:31 AM
Here's something worth reading related to all this.
And much to Seattle's chagrin, we've out lasted the honeymoon period, which they said we wouldn't support the team passed. I don't know if there is an exact length of time for a sports related "honeymoon period" but my general knowledge and understanding being a sports fan my whole life says that a typical honeymoon period in sports is 3-5 seasons.

Anyway, will the Thunder still have support in Oklahoma after all this?

http://deadspin.com/now-we-find-out-whether-oklahoma-city-is-a-good-basketb-1783298227

Pete
07-08-2016, 08:37 AM
I said this long before I moved back to OKC, but I was absolutely stunned on my annual visits back to see that virtually everyone around town loved the Thunder.

I have four sisters that don't care that much about sports, but they love the Thunder and talked about them all the time. Same with tons of other friends and acquaintances who had never really been big sports fans in the past. And then my sports-loving friends were all-in, most with at least a share of season tickets and a near obsession with the team.

The only comparison I've ever seen is Packers in Wisconsin. I have family there as well and that team is a huge part of their culture there, and I think the same could be said for the Thunder in Oklahoma.

They say the best revenge is to live well. I really think that's how most Thunder fans feel now... That we've been jilted but we are going to show the world we still have a very good team and we'll support them no matter what.

Now, if the team ends up out of playoff contention for several years in a row, some fans will jump ship. I personally think the franchise and management is strong enough where that won't happen.

Zuplar
07-08-2016, 08:44 AM
I said this long before I moved back to OKC, but I was absolutely stunned on my annual visits back to see that virtually everyone around town loved the Thunder.

I have four sisters that don't care that much about sports, but they love the Thunder and talked about them all the time. Same with tons of other friends and acquaintances who had never really been big sports fans in the past. And then my sports-loving friends were all-in, most with at least a share of season tickets and a near obsession with the team.

The only comparison I've ever seen is Packers in Wisconsin. I have family there as well and that team is a huge part of their culture there, and I think the same could be said for the Thunder in Oklahoma.

They say the best revenge is to live well. I really think that's how most Thunder fans feel now... That we've been jilted but we are going to show the world we still have a very good team and we'll support them no matter what.

Now, if the team ends up out of playoff contention for several years in a row, some fans will jump ship. I personally think the franchise and management is strong enough where that won't happen.

I've noticed this too. I'm hoping this is enough to keep them relevant and keep them from leaving.

AP
07-08-2016, 08:49 AM
I don't know. This is what Forbes wrote in it's Jan 2016 valuation: "The Thunder went 45-37 during the 2014-15 season, but missed the playoffs, ending its five-year consecutive postseason run. The team slipped from first to third place in local television ratings. The Thunder averaged a 7.04 rating on FS Oklahoma, 20% lower than the previous season."

That is only one season of poor performance and our star player still here and hurt. It would seem we have a lot of fair weather fans just like other markets.

soonermike81
07-08-2016, 09:03 AM
I don't know. This is what Forbes wrote in it's Jan 2016 valuation: "The Thunder went 45-37 during the 2014-15 season, but missed the playoffs, ending its five-year consecutive postseason run. The team slipped from first to third place in local television ratings. The Thunder averaged a 7.04 rating on FS Oklahoma, 20% lower than the previous season."

That is only one season of poor performance and our star player still here and hurt. It would seem we have a lot of fair weather fans just like other markets.

We absolutely have fair weather fans. That's one of the reasons why I think Russell is on his way out. Our fans ripped him for years, until he showed us what he could do a couple years ago with KD out. We showed him no loyalty; why would he be loyal to us? All these pathetic fans begging him to stay and be our leader now, LOL. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Thunder will be experiencing many years of mediocrity. Fans will disappear as sub .500 seasons mount up.

Pete
07-08-2016, 09:08 AM
I don't know why people assume this team will just slide into mediocrity.

Remember, the front office is responsible for recognizing the talent of KD and Westbrook, drafting and signing them, and then keeping them here much longer than the average NBA tenure.

They are both great players but we only made the finals once and performed badly when we did.

It's not like we had the greatest team ever assembled and we'll never be able to approach that success again. It will be hard to win at the same pace but taking a huge dive isn't nearly as likely as many seem to assume.

AP
07-08-2016, 09:15 AM
I think mostly because we had a generational talent that was KD and we still couldn't get it done. Those types of players don't come along often. And if they try to get value out of Westbrook it is highly likely that we would be mediocre for some time.

Patrick
07-08-2016, 09:15 AM
I think we'll continue to support our team. Why would we not support the team just because one player left? When they came here they weren't very good. They were a rebuilding team. I know it was the honeymoon period and people were excited then. But there's also some excitement to watching a rebuilding team. We'll come back from this. It will take some time though. But I have confidence that Sam Presti will draft well like he has in the past, and we'll return to being a title contender. This won't stop me from going to games. I'm a Thunder fan, not a KD fan.

And face it...this is Oklahoma City. Like it or not, we're limited in entertainment options. Sad truth. The Thunder are the only team in town, so what else will people be doing if they're not supporting their team?

OKCretro
07-08-2016, 09:16 AM
I don't know why people assume this team will just slide into mediocrity.

Remember, the front office is responsible for recognizing the talent of KD and Westbrook, drafting and signing them, and then keeping them here much longer than the average NBA tenure.

They are both great players but we only made the finals once and performed badly when we did.

It's not like we had the greatest team ever assembled and we'll never be able to approach that success again. It will be hard to win at the same pace but taking a huge dive isn't nearly as likely as many seem to assume.

I would say the front office did a great job with westbrook but not giving a thing to the front office on drafting Durant.
Had we gotten the 1st pick instead of losing the lottery to Portland we would have had Oden instead of Durant. Durant at #2 was the easiest pick

soonermike81
07-08-2016, 09:17 AM
If we lose Russ, it'll be extremely difficult to keep things going as well as we've had it the past 7 years. You forget that BOTH KD and Russ are arguably two of the top five players in the NBA. I believe in Presti and I think he can put together a good team post Russ/KD, but we are still playing in the Western Conference, which is absolutely stacked. If we lose Russ, just making the playoffs will be considered a huge success, IMO

Pete
07-08-2016, 09:18 AM
No one expects us to keep pace with the last 7 years.

But there is a big gap between that and mediocrity.

soonermike81
07-08-2016, 09:24 AM
So what do you consider success without Russ/KD? I say making the playoffs. If we don't make the playoffs, that will be mediocrity. And if that happens for multiple years in a row, I have no doubt that all of our "fans" will be gone.

soonermike81
07-08-2016, 09:27 AM
The television ratings example that AP posted earlier is a good example of how quickly people fall off the bandwagon. I mean we were fighting to make the playoffs till the very last game of the season, and Russ was playing lights out. Yet, television ratings dropped 20% from just the year before. So what happens when we don't have the star power on the court, and we don't make the playoffs for a few years?

Pete
07-08-2016, 09:29 AM
I agree the playoffs should be the goal.

Anything else would be a disappointment.

Patrick
07-08-2016, 09:30 AM
So what do you consider success without Russ/KD? I say making the playoffs. If we don't make the playoffs, that will be mediocrity. And if that happens for multiple years in a row, I have no doubt that all of our "fans" will be gone.

Where at the fans going to go? This is OKC. There's only one game in town.

Patrick
07-08-2016, 09:33 AM
If we lose Russ, it'll be extremely difficult to keep things going as well as we've had it the past 7 years. You forget that BOTH KD and Russ are arguably two of the top five players in the NBA. I believe in Presti and I think he can put together a good team post Russ/KD, but we are still playing in the Western Conference, which is absolutely stacked. If we lose Russ, just making the playoffs will be considered a huge success, IMO

What's wrong with hoping to make the playoffs and considering that a success? Such is the case with most teams in the league. Only 3 or 4 teams can be real title contenders. The rest of the league would consider making the playoffs a success. And the Western Conference is no different. Last season, only GS, San Antonio, and OKC were real title contenders in the west. Teams like Dallas, Houston, Clippers, etc. were merely playoff teams. There's nothing wrong with being just a playoff team. There's still excitement in that. Not everyone can win the title.

soonermike81
07-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Where at the fans going to go? This is OKC. There's only one game in town.

I get that, but when it comes to disposable income, very likely that many will be looking at spending that income somewhere else if we have many down years. Energy? Sooner Football? Save up for a nice vacation instead of saving for lower level seats? Buying that new 4K Ultra tv? It becomes a question for many people of where do I get the most utility for my money?

soonermike81
07-08-2016, 09:36 AM
What's wrong with hoping to make the playoffs and considering that a success? Such is the case with most teams in the league. Only 3 or 4 teams can be real title contenders. The rest of the league would consider making the playoffs a success. And the Western Conference is no different. Last season, only GS, San Antonio, and OKC were real title contenders in the west. Teams like Dallas, Houston, Clippers, etc. were merely playoff teams. There's nothing wrong with being just a playoff team. There's still excitement in that. Not everyone can win the title.

Nothing wrong with that at all, I would consider that a success. But if we don't make the playoffs, I can see fans disappearing real quick. Even if we are just barely squeaking into the playoffs and getting knocked out first round for a few years, I see fans disappearing.

Pete
07-08-2016, 09:38 AM
I think mostly because we had a generational talent that was KD and we still couldn't get it done. Those types of players don't come along often. And if they try to get value out of Westbrook it is highly likely that we would be mediocre for some time.

With this move, KD has completely admitted to the world he's not good enough to lead a very good team any further than he did.

He's a great player but not a great leader and not someone who can just take over with important games on the line.

And besides all that, there now seems to have been at least some discord with Westbrook and maybe an overall lack of happiness for some time.

Team chemistry and intangibles like leadership and playing great at the biggest moments are just as if not more important than scoring titles.

AP
07-08-2016, 09:39 AM
The Thunder are the only team in town, so what else will people be doing if they're not supporting their team?

I don't know what else they will be doing, but like I said in a previous post, the last year when we had our first down year and were still one game from the playoffs, we dropped to third in local rankings.

PhiAlpha
07-08-2016, 09:40 AM

Lol, dramatic much?

PhiAlpha
07-08-2016, 09:42 AM
I don't know what else they will be doing, but like I said in a previous post, the last year when we had our first down year and were still one game from the playoffs, we dropped to third in local rankings.

True, but we did still sell out every game. I think most of the fair weather fans would be in the TV audience, not the arena attendance. It's much easier to turn a tv on or off, actually going to the games takes effort. As long as we're competing for playoff spots, I think we'll do ok. There will be an adjustment period, no doubt. It's tough to wrap your mind around changing expectations when you go from annual contender for 7 years to playoff contender, but I think people will come around.

Patrick
07-08-2016, 09:44 AM
I get that, but when it comes to disposable income, very likely that many will be looking at spending that income somewhere else if we have many down years. Energy? Sooner Football? Save up for a nice vacation instead of saving for lower level seats? Buying that new 4K Ultra tv? It becomes a question for many people of where do I get the most utility for my money?

Ultimately, team ownership will have to realize this, and likely lower ticket prices. I mean, we're not going to pay as much for tickets for a lower quality product. They jacked up ticket prices because of the product they were offering. So, they'll have to lower ticket prices to what it's worth.

Truth be known, people are starved for entertainment in this town. It's not like we have Broadway every day like in New York and LA. There simply aren't as many options.

Pete
07-08-2016, 09:44 AM

And we still sold out every game.

Of course there will be fluctuations in interest based on the success of the team. That is part of every sport everywhere.

You are comparing ratings from a team that completely missed the playoffs to one the previous year that had the 2nd best record in the NBA, only 3 games off being the absolute best... And in a tight race to be the best all season.

AP
07-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Sustained mediocracy like barely skating into the playoffs each year will not be good. I hope it doesn't turn out that way, but it very well could.

soonermike81
07-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Lol, dramatic much?

Not at all, just predicting the future.

Pete
07-08-2016, 09:57 AM
The idea that any franchise will consistently make deep playoff runs in the NBA is unrealistic.

We were spoiled by having great players that stayed here a long time but that's unusual and a *credit* to this organization, not a reason to assume that we will now fall into the abyss.

jn1780
07-08-2016, 10:02 AM
The question is how long will it be until the owners start saying the arena needs to be replaced because the team isn't bringing in the same number of people for the same price.

AP
The idea that any franchise will consistently make deep playoff runs in the NBA is unrealistic.

We were spoiled by having great players that stayed here a long time but that's unusual and a *credit* to this organization, not a reason to assume that we will now fall into the abyss.

Why is that unrealistic? San Antonio has done it basically for their entire time in SA. Why can't that be something we want? That's basically the margin for small market teams or you risk losing interest quickly.

Patrick
Sustained mediocracy like barely skating into the playoffs each year will not be good. I hope it doesn't turn out that way, but it very well could.

Prior to coming to OKC the Sonics were sustained mediocracy. Then Bennett and Presti came in, and we see where that got us. You have to remember, the Thunder sucked when they got here. Didn't they have like 20 some wins the first season they were here? And Presti built it into the team it was just recently. I have faith that Presti will do this again. But it will take time and we'll just have to be patient with him.

warreng88
07-08-2016, 10:04 AM
]I think we'll continue to support our team. Why would we not support the team just because one player left?[/B] When they came here they weren't very good. They were a rebuilding team. I know it was the honeymoon period and people were excited then. But there's also some excitement to watching a rebuilding team. We'll come back from this. It will take some time though. But I have confidence that Sam Presti will draft well like he has in the past, and we'll return to being a title contender. This won't stop me from going to games. I'm a Thunder fan, not a KD fan.

And face it...this is Oklahoma City. Like it or not, we're limited in entertainment options. Sad truth. The Thunder are the only team in town, so what else will people be doing if they're not supporting their team?

To the bolded point, I don't think the support would diminish due to Durant leaving, I think it will diminish due to us not doing as well. If we don't make the playoffs this coming year and a few years down the road, tickets will be easier to come by.

Pete
07-08-2016, 10:06 AM
Why is that unrealistic? San Antonio has done it basically for their entire time in SA. Why can't that be something we want? That's basically the margin for small market teams or you risk losing interest quickly.

Because they are an extreme exception and had most their success before free agency changes.

Of course we want it. But to set that as the standard where anything less is a disappointment is just setting yourself up to be a very unhappy sports fan.

AP
07-08-2016, 10:07 AM
The lakers have a 61% record since the moved to LA, San Antonio 62% since 76, Boston 58%, OKC 61%. Why can't we expect to continue into greatness? Other teams have.

soonermike81
07-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Prior to coming to OKC the Sonics were sustained mediocracy. Then Bennett and Presti came in, and we see where that got us. You have to remember, the Thunder sucked when they got here. Didn't they have like 20 some wins the first season they were here? And Presti built it into the team it was just recently. I have faith that Presti will do this again. But it will take time and we'll just have to be patient with him.

The Sonics were pretty damn solid during the 90s. Wasn't till the 00s did the sustained mediocrity lead to Seattle losing their team

AP
07-08-2016, 10:09 AM
I've been an unhappy sports fan my entire life. I mean, I am an OSU grad.

Patrick
07-08-2016, 10:12 AM
To the bolded point, I don't think the support would diminish due to Durant leaving, I think it will diminish due to us not doing as well. If we don't make the playoffs this coming year and a few years down the road, tickets will be easier to come by.

I have faith that Presti will rebuild. If he did it in the past, why can't he do it again? Sure, there will be a few rough years, but I'm confident we can do it again.

Anonymous.
07-08-2016, 10:14 AM
The thing is, Presti has always built this franchise for long-term sustainability. If KD stayed, we would be title favorites for the next 6-7 years, and likely contenders for the next 10 as our roster if full of talented sub-25 year olds. Now that KD is gone, we simply are pushed back in the short-term, but still have a chance in the 2-4 year range to get back to contenders.

I honestly think Russ will sign an extension offer with OKC next summer. The people thinking we are going to be terrible just don't understand what our team is now. We literally have generational, explosive talent in Westbrook; a young, already becoming dominant big in Adams; a young rebounding machine and defensive hopeful in Kanter; a young talent with huge upside in Oladipo; two more young guys with upside in Payne and McGary; potential surprise in Heustis. There is a lot of teams in the league that would drool over the position that OKC is in.

Patrick
07-08-2016, 10:14 AM
The Sonics were pretty damn solid during the 90s. Wasn't till the 00s did the sustained mediocrity lead to Seattle losing their team

Yeah, but Seattle lost their team because there were better competing options in town. They have the Seahawks and Mariners. And the citizens opted to build them stadiums and not the Sonics. OKC doesn't have that same issue. Doesn't have the same competition.

soonermike81
07-08-2016, 10:17 AM
The thing is, Presti has always built this franchise for long-term sustainability. If KD stayed, we would be title favorites for the next 6-7 years, and likely contenders for the next 10 as our roster if full of talented sub-25 year olds. Now that KD is gone, we simply are pushed back in the short-term, but still have a chance in the 2-4 year range to get back to contenders.

I honestly think Russ will sign an extension offer with OKC next summer. The people thinking we are going to be terrible just don't understand what our team is now. We literally have generational, explosive talent in Westbrook; a young, already becoming dominant big in Adams; a young rebounding machine and defensive hopeful in Kanter; a young talent with huge upside in Oladipo; two more young guys with upside in Payne and McGary; potential surprise in Heustis. There is a lot of teams in the league that would drool over the position that OKC is in.

Problem is, how does management go into next season without some sort of reassurance that Russ is definitely staying? Do we take a risk, and possibly let the same thing happen to him as we did KD. Let him walk with nothing to show for it?

soonermike81
07-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Yeah, but Seattle lost their team because there were better competing options in town. They have the Seahawks and Mariners. And the citizens opted to build them stadiums and not the Sonics. OKC doesn't have that same issue. Doesn't have the same competition.

I'll give you that

Pete
07-08-2016, 10:20 AM
^

That is the million dollar question.

Presti runs the risk of losing two superstars within a year and having zero to show for it. That would be devastating to the franchise in many ways.

I think we'll trade Westbrook and start to rebuild. Otherwise, it's a complete crapshoot hoping he stays after this year and frankly, if I was Presti I don't think I would assume that risk, although he clearly has lots of information and insight about what Westbrook may do.

It seems in the end he wasn't really surprised by the Durant decision and he's clearly a very sharp and well-respected guy in the NBA.