View Full Version : Homemade Ice Cream?

bucktalk
07-04-2016, 03:02 PM
I've been experimenting with different homemade ice cream recipes but haven't yet found one that I say was super good. Anyone out there have recipe that's tried and true? Any help would be appreciated!

Martin
07-04-2016, 03:18 PM
the base i've been using is (i'm going off memory) one part heavy cream, one part half & half, half a part sugar, a couple tbs corn starch, and a couple tbs liquid pectin.

i've been wanting to experiment with egg-based custard recipes but the above has been so fresh tasting that i never got around to it. -M

bucktalk
07-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Thanks! I've been avoiding egg based mix so far. Best I've made is butter pecan which was pretty darned good. I've never heard of using corn starch....interesting.

Pete
07-04-2016, 05:03 PM
the base i've been using is (i'm going off memory) one part heavy cream, one part half & half, half a part sugar, a couple tbs corn starch, and a couple tbs liquid pectin.

Very similar to what I do, without the corn starch or pectin.

I have a Cuisinart maker and just made a great batch of fresh strawberry that turned out great, as it has dozens of times before.

Same basic recipe for other flavors.

SoonerDave
07-04-2016, 06:58 PM

i've been wanting to experiment with egg-based custard recipes but the above has been so fresh tasting that i never got around to it. -M

Try an egg-based recipe once. Its worth the effort. My mom used an egg recipe for ice cream and its so absurdly smooth and luxurious it'll just feel like a scoop of heaven. Really spoiled me for other types of homemade.

Motley
07-04-2016, 08:40 PM
Here is a classic recipe for ice-cream base with egg and then a list of add-ins from the NewYork Times. It is very rich and smooth.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/01/dining/the-master-ice-cream-recipe.html?_r=0

Bobby821
07-05-2016, 07:34 AM
I make a no cook egg ice cream. You use 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk and 1 can of evaporated milk and add some vanilla along with 4 eggs and 1/2 cup of sugar. put that in your ice cream freezer can and then fill with 1/2 gallon of milk.

Pete
07-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Here is a classic recipe for ice-cream base with egg and then a list of add-ins from the NewYork Times. It is very rich and smooth.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/01/dining/the-master-ice-cream-recipe.html?_r=0

Thanks. I'm going to try this method.

Uptowner
07-05-2016, 09:35 AM
I kinda liked the icey crunch granny's hand cranked recipe had. Plus split and scraped vanilla beans, yum.

jerrywall
07-05-2016, 09:50 AM
I made a pina colada ice cream this weekend.

No heavy whipping cream and no eggs.

A can of crushed pineapple, a can of coconut cream (not milk, but cream), 3 cups of whole milk, and a cup of shaved sweetened coconut. One teaspoon of rum extract (you could use real rum I'm sure, but I can't consume alcohol). Was very popular at the family celebration. Turned out very rich.

bucktalk
07-05-2016, 10:23 AM
I made a pina colada ice cream this weekend.

No heavy whipping cream and no eggs.

A can of crushed pineapple, a can of coconut cream (not milk, but cream), 3 cups of whole milk, and a cup of shaved sweetened coconut. One teaspoon of rum extract (you could use real rum I'm sure, but I can't consume alcohol). Was very popular at the family celebration. Turned out very rich.

Dang! This sounds great!!! I made coffee ice cream last night. I must admit it turned out really, really good. Wasn't sure how much coffee to put in but I guess it was just the right amount.

bucktalk
07-05-2016, 10:24 AM
I make a no cook egg ice cream. You use 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk and 1 can of evaporated milk and add some vanilla along with 4 eggs and 1/2 cup of sugar. put that in your ice cream freezer can and then fill with 1/2 gallon of milk.

So this is with raw eggs? Or?....

SoonerDave
07-05-2016, 10:27 AM

Aside from the no-cook, that sounds very similar to what I recall my mom making. No way she'd ever make anything with eggs that wasn't cooked. She'd mix up the custard and get it cooked and then get it ready for the big freezer and the rock salt. Almost makes my mouth water to think about.

SoonerDave
07-05-2016, 10:29 AM

There are some recipes where you don't cook the eggs, and others where you do. I'm in the latter camp - I'm just into cooking eggs, even though I do dabble in raw cookie dough :) :) :) :)

Bobby821
07-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Yes 4 raw eggs.

Bobby821
07-05-2016, 01:19 PM
There are some recipes where you don't cook the eggs, and others where you do. I'm in the latter camp - I'm just into cooking eggs, even though I do dabble in raw cookie dough :) :) :) :)

Once they are all mixed up you don't even realize they are in there. Been eating it this way since I was a kid and never gotten sick from it. Just don't like the heating up the mixture then having to wait for it to cool, this way you can mix it all up and get it going really quick before supper then shortly after about an hour and a half later or so it is ready to eat. it has an icy consistency sorta like the shakes were at Hardee's. If you want chocolate just add a 1/2 gallon of Braums chocolate milk instead of regular white milk and you have the best chocolate ice cream there is.

Motley
07-05-2016, 04:37 PM
Here is an interesting article on the use of eggs in ice cream and what it adds to the consistency and flavors.

http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/08/how-many-eggs-should-i-use-to-make-ice-cream.html